6/9/13 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked the game, but personally i played the shit out of the k-1 game on ps2
6/9/13 7:10 PM
Kneeblock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas - I liked the game, but personally i played the shit out of the k-1 game on ps2
Agreed. Other than Fight Night I'd say K-1 is the best combat sports game of all time. Phone Post
6/9/13 7:58 PM
KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas

this

6/10/13 9:44 AM
Kneeblock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunt: So awesome they put him on the cover twice. Phone Post
6/10/13 10:06 AM
CHiLLEN
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never played it, so I hit it up on YouTube, and my god.. Games have come a lonnnnnng way since PS2 lol.

I would of loved to play it back in the day. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:38 AM
HELWIG

First time I made it through all 24(27?) guys on surivival on hardest difficulty was so intense and strategy I felt like I needed a drink.

The K1 game for PS2 was also amazing! I won the GP 12 times in a row with Hunt with an 80% KO rate!

6/10/13 11:15 AM
Fan of fanboys
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought the game because of Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie.

That was 2003-04 (unsure which) and I was only a UFC fan at that point but even that had waned a little.

Grabbed the game, played it and said "Who the fuck are these guys like Wanderlei Silva who keep wrecking me?"

I then became aware of Pride, and had some fun watching the events and catching up on all I had missed.

That game did more for turning me on to great MMA than what TUF did in terms of sparking the UFC as far as personally.

Great game that brings back some good memories. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:27 AM
Carson's Corner radio show

MMA Monkey - The first PRIDE game on PS2 is one of the best mma games EVER. the second one is mediocre. (different developers)

The reason why the first PRIDE game is so good:

1) Every character has a unique moveset. It is NOT like other mma games where every character has the same fucking shit. In PRIDE, even the jabs look different. most of the characters have MANY signature moves (not just 1 or 2 like modern mma games).

wanderlei: he had a crapload of unique flurry combos. he was also the only one to have combo knees in the thai clinch (ninja could only do single hits from the thai clinch)

big nog: he had unique submissions. for instance, he had a chain submission- if an opponent escaped from the first sub, then nog would attempt another one.

sak: he had a shitload of unique moves such as mongolian chops. also had a fast as fuck single-leg (which was unfortunately really easy to reverse)

takada: he had a crapload of things he could do from the buttscoot. hilarious character.

and so on.. the characters also fought like how they do in real-life. if you fight against wanderlei, prepare to be rushed down from start to finish (a really effective strategy with wand considering how good his stamina recovery is, and the fact that knees cannot be reversed)

2) stamina. pride had an excellent stamina system. Unlike the early UFC game you do not get knocked out when your stamina goes to 0 (which made for stupidly short matches)- in the UFC games one guy could throw 10 attacks, run out of stamina, and then get knocked out by a jab. In PRIDE your stamina (combined with your submission defense score) governs how much time you have to break out of submissions, and how much damage your attacks do and how fast you move. Therefore, you cannot just SPAM moves (unless you're wanderlei who had awesome stamina recovery)

3) excellent create-a-fighter mode where you could choose from several types of the same moves, create your own combos, and a buncha other good shit

seriously, a lot of people don't appreciate how ahead of its time the PRIDE game was. It had a lot of subtle gameplay mechanics that made it the best mma game ever. if you think the game wasn't the best mma game, then you really don't understand game design OR haven't played the other MMA games out there for comparison

IMO the Pride game was a crap budget title with multiple glaring flaws (e.g., CAF combos do not string together fluidly the way preset ones do, making CAFs useless) and all of the good parts you mentioned are ideas copied from other much better games I guess you haven't played (K-1 series, VPW/KOC MMA mode and even No Mercy for N64).

If you pick up K-1 2006 (the one with Akebono and Sylvester Terkay) you'll be amazed by how refined yet instantly playable the mechanics are, and ESPECIALLY how differently the characters play. Akebono moves and fights like a huge fat guy with limited skills and it's hilarious to play. One of the most underrated games ever.

6/10/13 11:29 AM
MasterofMartialArts
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:45 AM
boomtown
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I once KTFOd Wandy with one punch using Igor at the opening bell. Couldn't duplicate this feat.

Great game. I tried creating Fedor but couldn't quite replicate his skillset.
6/10/13 11:50 AM
boomtown
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3wgOlXNpIQ

Best intro EVAH!!!
6/10/13 1:52 PM
theken206
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I loooved blasting guys into Bolivian with Vov' hhahaha.

Such a fun game!
6/10/13 2:01 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
6/10/13 2:15 PM
jcblass
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought the game because of Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie.

That was 2003-04 (unsure which) and I was only a UFC fan at that point but even that had waned a little.

Grabbed the game, played it and said "Who the fuck are these guys like Wanderlei Silva who keep wrecking me?"

I then became aware of Pride, and had some fun watching the events and catching up on all I had missed.

That game did more for turning me on to great MMA than what TUF did in terms of sparking the UFC as far as personally.

Great game that brings back some good memories.
6/11/13 4:24 AM
sparkuri
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CYBER's_kiwi_flavored_power_bottom - This thread made me do this

Phone Post 3.0
I would have sold you my extra for $30. :-(

I've got the original ps1 and an extra k-1 also(the original).
Those however, I will have to ask a tad more for.
Again, :-( Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.