UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Erick Silva vs Rory?

6/9/13 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both are future title contenders

IMO both could beat every WW besides GSP. I give Rory the edge right now Phone Post
6/9/13 1:14 PM
GROUNDnLB
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MostLegit -
GROUNDnLB -
da Vinci 81 -
GROUNDnLB - Only way rory would win is by takin it to the ground. He would get obliterated in the standup.

I would Have to think Erick has been focusing on his ground game after the Fitch fight. If you look at the fight, you definitely had good ground skills, and his takedown defense was not horrible, but it definitely needed improvement against the top welterweight wrestlers in the UFC. If he has improved his ground game, Erick takes it. Phone Post 3.0
Obliterated? Are you kidding? He absolutely smashed penn on the feet and showed a ton of diversity in his attacks. And penn may be a LW but he's never an easy fight on the feet for anyone. Phone Post 3.0
Rory got schooled by Che on the feet so right after that, he was all about taking it to the ground. If he was like that about Che, there is no way he will be able to handle Ericks striking. Phone Post 3.0
Your point also demonstrates Rorys Cage IQ. He is good at figuring out where he has the advantage and putting the fight there. Where Erik Silva tends to fight wherever the fight happens to be. Phone Post 3.0
I'm not sure I would phrase but that way.

Clearly Erick is a striker and wants to keep it standing. He doesn't have bad TDD, but against a top wrestler like Fitch it's (or was) not good enough.

Rather that saying 'Erick tends to fight wherever the fight will be', I think he attempts to keep it standing, and when an opponent goes for the takedown, he sprawls and attempts to avoid it, and if the opponent has exposed himself to a sub during his takedown attempt (like high did) he uses his excellent BJJ.

His game plan is to keep it standing, it's just that he also has great BJJ, so he can capitalize on that if possible.

That being said, I don't think rory will be subbed by Erick, and I actually think rory is the favourite. But the only way rory will win is to duplicate what Fitch did. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 1:28 PM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of people are picking Rory based on the Fitch fight, but Erick came damn close to winning that one. The mistake he made was to gas his arms out trying to choke out a neck made of rubber. If he (or his coaches) had been savvy enough, he'd have used position to GNP for TKO. Maybe Rory has the same kind of neck, but I doubt it. Phone Post
6/9/13 1:36 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GROUNDnLB -
da Vinci 81 -
GROUNDnLB - Only way rory would win is by takin it to the ground. He would get obliterated in the standup.

I would Have to think Erick has been focusing on his ground game after the Fitch fight. If you look at the fight, you definitely had good ground skills, and his takedown defense was not horrible, but it definitely needed improvement against the top welterweight wrestlers in the UFC. If he has improved his ground game, Erick takes it. Phone Post 3.0
Obliterated? Are you kidding? He absolutely smashed penn on the feet and showed a ton of diversity in his attacks. And penn may be a LW but he's never an easy fight on the feet for anyone. Phone Post 3.0
Rory got schooled by Che on the feet so right after that, he was all about taking it to the ground. If he was like that about Che, there is no way he will be able to handle Ericks striking. Phone Post 3.0
I think you're right Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 1:44 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rorys striking still being underrated I see Phone Post
6/9/13 1:46 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory by higher fight IQ
6/9/13 1:51 PM
Poptarts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Rory loses to Jake, make the fight happen. Little Silva has yet to beat a guy in the the top 25 so it's not that impressive how he looks when he fights.
6/9/13 1:52 PM
Damaynevent

The WW division is deep enough to keep these guys out of each others way for a while. I'd like to see this fight as well, but I don't think they will be crossing paths anytime soon.

That being said, if they fought I'd take Rory winning decision by out pointing Silva with takedowns. I think they are very evenly matched, but Rory will come with a game plan that should help him win the fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:14 PM
GROUNDnLB
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DamnSevern - rorys striking still being underrated I see Phone Post
DS, I respect the hell out of you. Personally, I'm not saying rory does not have striking skills, I'm saying they do not compare to Erick's.

Fact is Rory got out struck by Che. Could rory have improved his striking? Obviously he could have, just like silva most likely has improved his TDD after the Fitch match.

With Erick, he just is a natural, I feel there is only so much you can teach and improve based in ones innate skills. Erick is probably a top 3 striker in the ww div. (I would love to see him against Siyar)

However, going full circle, this is MMA, and that is why I would pick rory. Hopefully the match does not happen for a while though. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:16 PM
GROUNDnLB

Foos - Rory by higher fight IQ
You mean rory by having more wrestling Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:17 PM
Poptarts

Damaynevent - The WW division is deep enough to keep these guys out of each others way for a while. I'd like to see this fight as well, but I don't think they will be crossing paths anytime soon.

That being said, if they fought I'd take Rory winning decision by out pointing Silva with takedowns. I think they are very evenly matched, but Rory will come with a game plan that should help him win the fight. Phone Post 3.0

Douglas Lima has fought better competition than Silva has, the hate Rory gets for the Che fight is insane it was the worst fight of his career and he still finished Che. I'm pretty confident he has better striker than Che at this time.

Not so sure about Rory point scoring, I've never seen him do that before....
6/9/13 2:18 PM
jmont

InYoMommaCloset - I was disappointed with that fight with High.

Jason High is much better than that.

He's too chilled out in fights is his problem.

You could see in Erik Silva's face he's like a fuckin' pitbull ready to bit a motherfuckers nose off if he has too.
So much conviction; he's a vicious mofo.

Jason High is an incredible athlete - the difference was so evident between him and Silva.
He's gone the distance with SNOWMAN MONSON in a grappling match.
I'd say his striking technique is probably better than Silva's too.

He's just too damn chilled in fights.

Pffff.

Article on Sherdog about him years ago, how he might be "such a nice guy", so nice he might never live up to his potential in mma.
Motherfucker might have been right.
or silva is just way better and your all bitter about it Phone Post
6/9/13 2:21 PM
xsrg95
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 young killers, rory wins but this should be a great fight

6/9/13 2:23 PM
Poptarts

Silva vs Wonderboy seems right next, I like that test for both of them. Should be an easy submission with for Silva but it will build him up quick. After that he can fight someone like Mike Pierce if he wins that a legitimate top 10 guy, if he wins that a number 1 contenders position seems right.

I still have no idea what e.Silva is made of he's only beaten Welterweights outside the top 25 and that's being generous. I hope the UFC moves him along a little quicker he's pushing 29 not 23 like Rory.
6/9/13 2:24 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GROUNDnLB - 

There's more to it than that. Rory's transitioning from striking to wrestling is great. His GnP is great. He has more varied attacks on his feet.

If he's winning the stand-up he'll keep it there. If he needs to take it down he can do that. He could keep Silva guessing at every point in the fight.
6/9/13 2:26 PM
GROUNDnLB

Foos -
GROUNDnLB - 

There's more to it than that. Rory's transitioning from striking to wrestling is great. His GnP is great. He has more varied attacks on his feet.

If he's winning the stand-up he'll keep it there. If he needs to take it down he can do that. He could keep Silva guessing at every point in the fight.
I can't argue with that. GSP has taught him well, and kudos to Rory for not going after the belt....or at least saying that. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:27 PM
GROUNDnLB

^only thing I would say is I would be very surprised if Rory wins the stand up game. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:28 PM
GROUNDnLB

Poptarts - Silva vs Wonderboy seems right next, I like that test for both of them. Should be an easy submission with for Silva but it will build him up quick. After that he can fight someone like Mike Pierce if he wins that a legitimate top 10 guy, if he wins that a number 1 contenders position seems right.

I still have no idea what e.Silva is made of he's only beaten Welterweights outside the top 25 and that's being generous. I hope the UFC moves him along a little quicker he's pushing 29 not 23 like Rory.
I like wonder boy, don't want to feed him to the lions. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:32 PM
Poptarts

GROUNDnLB - 
Poptarts - Silva vs Wonderboy seems right next, I like that test for both of them. Should be an easy submission with for Silva but it will build him up quick. After that he can fight someone like Mike Pierce if he wins that a legitimate top 10 guy, if he wins that a number 1 contenders position seems right.

The guy is 30 who do you want him to fight next a TUF contestant? Silva vs Thompson is a good next step, maybe Nate vs Silva? hahaha.
6/9/13 2:40 PM
GROUNDnLB

Poptarts -
GROUNDnLB - 

The guy is 30 who do you want him to fight next a TUF contestant? Silva vs Thompson is a good next step, maybe Nate vs Silva? hahaha.
Let the dude get some more impressive wins first. The nah shon fight was not exactly a highlight reel, even though he did land some solid combinations.

I would like to see him against a striker, maybe Amir. And yes, I see the humour in that he was on TUF! :) Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:47 PM
GROUNDnLB

^ sorry, thought you were referring to wonderboy.

I would love to see Erick against the winner of the Siyar Lawler fight Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 2:48 PM
Augustus Caesar
918 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fight but I would go with Rory in that one.

6/9/13 3:04 PM
funkjitsu
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this fight makes sense... Erick Silva FTW Phone Post
6/9/13 3:26 PM
The Brool Story Company

lol@anyone picking Rory. Erick is better EVERYWHERE. Rory's wrestling is so overrated. People trying to use the Fitch fight against Erick in a fight with Rory are pretty stupid. Fitch is about 100x the wrestler that Rory is.

6/9/13 3:32 PM
GROUNDnLB

The Brool Story Company -

lol@anyone picking Rory. Erick is better EVERYWHERE. Rory's wrestling is so overrated. People trying to use the Fitch fight against Erick in a fight with Rory are pretty stupid. Fitch is about 100x the wrestler that Rory is.

So Maia is 1000x the wrestler then! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.