UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Worked heavy bags, have headache. Concussion?

6/9/13 9:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worked the heavy bags for the first time in awhile (well, a week) and I now have a pretty bad headache. One time I hit the bag and it felt like the shock went straight to my noggin.

Question: is it possible to give yourself a concussion by hitting the bags? If not, what in the world did i do to myself?
6/9/13 9:52 PM
Andersons_Chin
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I head butt the speed bag, but never he heavy. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 9:56 PM
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brick no hit back Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 9:56 PM
HexRei

cluster - Worked the heavy bags for the first time in awhile (well, a week) and I now have a pretty bad headache. One time I hit the bag and it felt like the shock went straight to my noggin.

Question: is it possible to give yourself a concussion by hitting the bags? If not, what in the world did i do to myself?

No, it's not, really. You might have other medical problems though, maybe something blood pressure related, see a doctor.
6/9/13 9:59 PM
Don Silvio
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you feel particularly tense at all?

I'm thinking you may have just been having an 'off-day', where you might have just been over-thinking it, causing your muscles to stiffen and therefore to create a hypertension-type feeling.

Sound reasonable? How long have you been boxing/kickboxing (or whatever)?

I've never...not once...in all my years kickboxing (since 2001), heard of anyone giving themselves a concussion hitting the heavybag. however, I HAVE, seen plenty of people get headaches due to dehydration, not eating enough before practice, taking stimulants of all kinds (mostly supplemental) before training, or from what I described above.
6/9/13 9:59 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Gif of OP traneing

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm220/B_Goetz/joeygif2.gif Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 10:01 PM
6ULDV8
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/09/13 10:05 PM

Concussions usually involve vomiting.

Did you vomit after the stationary heavy bag beat the living shit out of you?

6/9/13 10:05 PM
MartialArtsMixed
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How put of shape are you? Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 10:05 PM
MartialArtsMixed
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Out Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 10:06 PM
Brigham
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you letting the bag hit you back?
6/9/13 10:40 PM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found OP

6/9/13 10:42 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you're just dehydrated?
6/9/13 10:46 PM
jiujitsu111

hahaha. great vidz Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 10:47 PM
Jack Carter
827 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

LMFAO @Gif

Perfect Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 10:59 PM
JeffJoslin
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you been sparring and taken any hard hits to the head lately? any hard bumps to the head outside of training?
6/9/13 11:06 PM
HandyDarsh
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check your technique Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 11:09 PM
SLOtownG
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at both gifs. Feel better op! Phone Post
6/9/13 11:11 PM
TzTinkle
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't stop laughing at that paintball gif...dude was rocked by stationary ballon.
6/9/13 11:12 PM
UGCTT croy_00
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - Maybe you're just dehydrated?

I would be leaning towards this. Remember if you are someone who drinks a lot of water, and then stops for any amount of time, your body will continue to flush despite not receiving any fluids.
6/9/13 11:24 PM
MdGeist

Michai - I know exactly what youbdid bro. If its your first few bag sessions I'm betting you were clenching your jaw a lot and didn't even notice. Try using a fitted guard next time too see if that's what it was. Also be sure to exhale with each strike. When hitting the hbags I like to exaggerated exhale with a open mouth with each strike. This helps reduce jaw line tension, the same that cause the headaches described. Chears bro and gl with your trane!ng Phone Post
Came here to post this. Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 11:34 PM
cluster

Don Silvio - Did you feel particularly tense at all?

I'm thinking you may have just been having an 'off-day', where you might have just been over-thinking it, causing your muscles to stiffen and therefore to create a hypertension-type feeling.

Sound reasonable? How long have you been boxing/kickboxing (or whatever)?

I've never...not once...in all my years kickboxing (since 2001), heard of anyone giving themselves a concussion hitting the heavybag. however, I HAVE, seen plenty of people get headaches due to dehydration, not eating enough before practice, taking stimulants of all kinds (mostly supplemental) before training, or from what I described above.

It was probably a combination of the above. I can imagine I was prolly dehydrated and tense.

Not out of shape, but not in shape either...

6/9/13 11:35 PM
cluster

Michai -  I know exactly what youbdid bro. If its your first few bag sessions I'm betting you were clenching your jaw a lot and didn't even notice. Try using a fitted guard next time too see if that's what it was. Also be sure to exhale with each strike. When hitting the hbags I like to exaggerated exhale with a open mouth with each strike. This helps reduce jaw line tension, the same that cause the headaches described. Chears bro and gl with your trane!ng Phone Post

Very likely this too.

No bumps to the dome otherwise.
6/9/13 11:37 PM
Kid Charlemagne
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 12:03 PM
HandyDarsh
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 -  It's none of the above...YOU PINCHED A NERVE. It will be painful the next couple weeks, but then it just goes away... Phone Post

cracked skull IMO...

6/10/13 12:08 PM
theoutsiders
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

My god why do I hate that guy in gif. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.