UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aldo: Pettis cut in line; I will too

6/10/13 10:31 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When former lightweight contender Anthony Pettis decided to drop to 145, he was given an immediate title shot, something that does not sit well with current UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo.

However, should Aldo beat Pettis, he, too, plans to switch divisions, with an immediate title shot.

This weekend Aldo was asked for his thoughts when Pettis dropped down, pushing aside contenders like Ricardo Lamas, Chad Mendes, Cub Swanson and Chan Sung Jun.

"I think it can be a valid approach, but not when someone drops from the weight class above to immediately challenge the champion," said Aldo. "There are already various contenders within the weight class. If someone just shows up and immediately challenges for the belt, he's cutting in line, and everyone sees that.

"I don't think it's fair. I think if you're going to drop down, then prove yourself by first having great fights within the weight class, and then you've earned the right to fight for the belt. That's how I think. But since we're already booked, no problem. I'll just go and win that fight."

However, if Jose Aldo beats him, he is going to join him.

"If everyone is cutting in line, I might as well do the same thing," said Aldo. "I'd like to move up one division and have an immediate title shot. We took the Pettis fight with this in mind.

"It's [set]. Exactly. We put that in (the contract). It's black and white. When we accepted the Pettis fight, we brought that up right away. Since everyone wants to cut into our line, let's cut into theirs too."

"I like challenges. My life's been nothing but challenges. It's just another one in my career. Thank God I'm going through this. It makes me very happy. The next challenge is always the biggest. Pettis will be the biggest. After I'm done with him, there will be another. That's my life."

Read entire article...

6/10/13 10:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like it

6/10/13 10:37 AM
ku3mm3t
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.
6/10/13 10:38 AM
Kirik
1597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Very smart move by Aldo's management.

6/10/13 10:41 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as he should
6/10/13 10:42 AM
mofomike
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like it.

6/10/13 10:44 AM
ausgepicht

Lol, I can't stand Bendo, but he'll walk right through the one dimensional Aldo. If Aldo thought Hom's takedowns were good, wait until he gets a load of the decision king's.
6/10/13 10:50 AM
DoomFarmer
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YES Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:51 AM
LILBROCK

He's right... you should never get an immediate shot in a weight class that you've never fought. And yes, Pettis had 2 great fights in a row, but prior to that he was beat by Guida and squeaked by Stephens with a split decision. It's not like he's been ruling the LW division for years.

That said, I can't wait for this fight.
6/10/13 10:52 AM
DoomFarmer
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - Lol, I can't stand Bendo, but he'll walk right through the one dimensional Aldo. If Aldo thought Hom's takedowns were good, wait until he gets a load of the decision king's.
No one "walks" through Aldo. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:52 AM
InvisibleControl

Don't remember him complaining about this when Edgar dropped...

Maybe he has a little fear about Pettis here.
6/10/13 10:54 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer -
ausgepicht - Lol, I can't stand Bendo, but he'll walk right through the one dimensional Aldo. If Aldo thought Hom's takedowns were good, wait until he gets a load of the decision king's.
Lol just ignore him. He's the most negative person on the UG Phone Post
6/10/13 10:56 AM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One dimensional aldo? Did you have a stroke or something?
JStrongMMA

DoomFarmer -
This. Aldo is far from one dimensional. In fact he is a very complete mma fighter. He will outstrike anyone he faces and wrestlers can't keep him down. He needs to be in the best p4p conversation. His closest fight in the UFC was the Edgar fight and imo, it wasn't all that close. Phone Post
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is correct. The fight he's about to have doesn't make much sense, but I'd love to see Aldo at 155. Not having to cut all that weight would be good for him. Phone Post
6/10/13 10:58 AM
JStrongMMA

Yea...because Aldo really struggles against wrestlers. Lol (Edgar, Faber, Mendes) Phone Post
6/10/13 11:01 AM
LILBROCK

InvisibleControl - Don't remember him complaining about this when Edgar dropped...

Well, you'd somewhat have a point if he would have avoided the fight. From my recollection, he signed it immediately. But yes it's the same concept. Frankie two times shouldn't have got an immediate shot either.
claw11
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InvisibleControl - Don't remember him complaining about this when Edgar dropped...

Not sure if serious.. Phone Post 3.0
FanDivide
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InvisibleControl - Don't remember him complaining about this when Edgar dropped...

Edgar was a champion in the UFC who defeated BJ and Maynard, who Aldo occasionally trains with, I think Aldo respects Edgar more and the fact that he was very undersized at LW and still became champ Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:09 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR ALDO!! Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:27 AM
BeatonHauff
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome, but I don't really see it as cutting the line considering aldo has been a dominant champion for so long, and Pettis hasn't. Phone Post
6/10/13 11:33 AM
ortman166

Was Aldo vs hominick the first Aldo fight you ever saw? And did you only watch the last round? Lol Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:34 AM
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
DoomFarmer -
You two remember when the majority of the UG kept saying,"No one walks through Nate"?

Not saying he'll walk through Aldo, but it's def a possibility. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:38 AM
caposa
1559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 11:38 AM

Can Zuffa have Aldo and Pettis locked in padded rooms to insure there's no injuries or anything before August 3rd?

6/10/13 11:44 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
DoomFarmer -
You two remember when the majority of the UG kept saying,"No one walks through Nate"?

Not saying he'll walk through Aldo, but it's def a possibility. Phone Post 3.0
No it's not impossible for anyone to get run over, but I don't see it happening there. I think Aldo is a bad matchup for Benson though and really just top notch pound for pound. 2 of my favorites so I would happy with either winning.

He was just trying to make sure we saw how much he hates Brazilians and Benson Henderson at the same time, though. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.