UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Fitch responds to Dana White on fighter pay

6/10/13 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He isn't informing, he left out so many details about how much he actually made. Sponsorship money? Other bonuses that Dana might of given him for a damn good fight?
And he knows nothing of the UFCs actual expenses, so unless he has direct access to UFC expenses, he shouldn't be commenting on them.

I like Fitch and wish him the best in his MMA career, but he needs to just drop this and focus on kicking ass in other MMA organizations. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 1:26 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RLL -

Interesting read but the comparisons on his vs the UFC overheard are unfair, mostly because they didn't show the UFC's (outside of distributors cuts). Fitch made $1,200,222 in 7 years, but wants to subtract management, training, and other incidentals from that to bolster his claim that he didn't make a lot at all.

Rest assured that the money spent by Zuffa to keep the UFC going is much more than what they pay fighters. That the business of being in business. As far as DFWJR being rich, yup he is. The boss always make more than the employees, regardless of the work he puts in. Fitch signed a contract and agreed to those payouts and terms. Anyone who does that, and then bitches about it after, well their intergrity has to be questioned.

Voted up Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 1:31 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think Jon Fitch needs to quit wasting his time with this. he's acting like a crazy ex-gf here. didn't you already sign w wsof? yes you did. that completely eliminates any chance of you ever getting a pay check signed by the ufc again. so i guess what i'm saying is maybe instead of crunching numbers that helps you with............. nothing. try to do what you couldn't in ufc and finish fights in wsof maybe you'll get a piece of that cheddar

go train or something ffs
6/10/13 1:35 PM
HELWIG

Who cares about Fitch making money for consistently winning?

2 billionaires and their friend from school got richer, thats what MMA is about.

6/10/13 1:36 PM
(Mike Oxslong)
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he's gonna use UFC merchandise money or even talk about it and the UFC sponsors , then talk about his SPONSORS , MERCHANDISE :) Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 1:38 PM
Nuevo Haole

Kos and Fitch get to AKA about the same time*, similar backgrounds....

One has a boat, plane, sportscars and a mansion on a lake - the other has sand in his vagina.

*same time in MMA history, not sure in Calendar months/years

6/10/13 1:39 PM
Paka Ono
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I definitely agree that fighters should be getting paid a lot more, but Fitch has no one to blame but himself about his current financial situation.
6/10/13 1:45 PM
Doctor Sidney

6/10/13 1:45 PM
Lazer MMA

UNION

/thread
6/10/13 1:46 PM
Ministry of Truth

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - He isn't informing, he left out so many details about how much he actually made. Sponsorship money? Other bonuses that Dana might of given him for a damn good fight?
And he knows nothing of the UFCs actual expenses, so unless he has direct access to UFC expenses, he shouldn't be commenting on them.

I like Fitch and wish him the best in his MMA career, but he needs to just drop this and focus on kicking ass in other MMA organizations. Phone Post 3.0

Sponsorship money has little to do with the UFC, and if anything, they do more to hinder a fighter's ability to get sponsorships.

6/10/13 1:51 PM
Nuevo Haole

Sponsorship money has little to do with the UFC,

so they guys in LFC make the same amount in sponsor $?

6/10/13 1:58 PM
The Swinging Richard
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/10/13 2:01 PM
diaz 125

does jon feel he should get more money because the ufc makes way more? no one is forcing him to fight for a living
6/10/13 2:01 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Fitch, but the standard question to anyone who complains about how much they got paid is, "if you thought this was too little money, then why did you sign the contract?"

I mean he obviously found it to be somewhat agreeable since he signed it and continued to re-sign with the UFC. There are a lot of guys who wish they could be making $176,000 a year.

Best of luck to him in WSoF.
6/10/13 2:03 PM
benjininja

Awhile back he posted saying that he needed money because he bought a second house that he couldn't afford. Who buys another house when they can't afford it? Used to love the Grinder now not so much. If your making 176k per show then your doing better than most and you get to do something you love. You choose that life and to buy things you can't afford now deal with it. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 2:03 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 2:04 PM
Nuevo Haole - 

Sponsorship money has little to do with the UFC,

so they guys in LFC make the same amount in sponsor $?

Terrible argument.

Just like the guys in the Arena Football League don't make the same endorsment revenue that the guys in the NFL make.  Do the Cowboys consider Romo's endorsements part of his compensation?  No--not ever. 

The UFC, by their own procolamation, is the "NFL" of MMA--that is why the sponsorship levels are higher.  Talent.

6/10/13 2:05 PM
lookoutawhale
1081 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 2:10 PM

I think Jon does put up a good argument. The promoters take the lions share of the money in the UFC compared to boxing where its the talent that takes most of the money on the big name fighter cards.

Jon left out his sponsorship money but he also left out UFC's sponsorship money they rake in so its fair.

Its why the UFC claims the fighter can talk about their pay when in reality their contract says they arent allowed to tell people anything about their contract. By keeping people in the dark you can then talk generically but how great your fighters are getting paid without really giving a number and then pretending its the fighters that dont want their salary to be exposed while maintaining a gag order behind the scenes. If word got around at how low the total payouts per ppv to the talent was it could become an issue.

Good for Jon to tell his side of the story.

6/10/13 2:06 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The carriers, it is believed, also now receive a split of 45%--not 50-60% that Fitch mentioned.  In 2005, the split was 55% to the carriers.  That split has reversed due to the UFC being the top provider of PPV. 

6/10/13 2:06 PM
DreamSTi

Jon Fitch is no business man.
6/10/13 2:07 PM
ophusker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personsally I think Fitch was paid a pretty embarrassingly low amount of money by the UFC for a guy who was one of their top fighters for as long as he was. MLB is full of utility infeilders that make more in one season then he was paid in 8 years with the UFC. The UFC is probably more profitable then any MLB franshise out there also. Not to mention other sports leagues pay for the training, coaching, equipment etc.

Considering all that goes into being a pro MMA fighter and the risks these fighters take they are seriously under paid. I honestly don't know why any young kid would want to mess around working his way up through the ranks of MMA. You take a lot of big risks put in the time, the money and everything into trying to make it. You finally get to the big time and they pay you 5K to show and 5K to win. The payoff just isn't there only the very elite of the elite are making any real money.

6/10/13 2:14 PM
Bossk
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendofanforlife - 
JStrongMMA - 
hendofanforlife - Wow you rode others popularity on ppvs. How many people bought it cause he was on it? Near zero.
Gsp vs. Fitch was a huge ppv. Fitch was riding an insane winning streak. Phone Post

Yea he had a good streak but that's not why that ppv sold well. Again, Fitch riding gsp popularity.

I guess I can only speak for myself but I actually bought it because of Fitch, I thought he stood a really good shot and I wasn't ever really a fan of GSP.

6/10/13 2:15 PM
Leghound
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 2:16 PM
Triangle Choked - I should go ask for a raise because what they pay me is before taxes, expenses to get to work and maintenance on my car to get to work. Think ill get it? Phone Post 3.0

LOL THIS!

I'd imagine Fitch could write off/deduct many of his gym/equipment fees as well, but whatever.  These arguments get old, either learn to manage your money better or go find yourself a higher paying job since apparently this is low pay relative to his other career options.  Hard to feel bad for someone that is making $175k+/year yet bitches about some of the costs that are associated with maintaining that career choice.

6/10/13 2:15 PM
MMAtador

UFC is a Money machine driven by Dana and they will run over any fighter that tries to turn there business into baseball or basketball where players get a ton of money. Just can't see how someone can make 8-15k (minimum) for taking a ass whooping. Phone Post
6/10/13 2:17 PM
TzTinkle
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ophusker - Personsally I think Fitch was paid a pretty embarrassingly low amount of money by the UFC for a guy who was one of their top fighters for as long as he was. MLB is full of utility infeilders that make more in one season then he was paid in 8 years with the UFC. The UFC is probably more profitable then any MLB franshise out there also. Not to mention other sports leagues pay for the training, coaching, equipment etc.

Considering all that goes into being a pro MMA fighter and the risks these fighters take they are seriously under paid. I honestly don't know why any young kid would want to mess around working his way up through the ranks of MMA. You take a lot of big risks put in the time, the money and everything into trying to make it. You finally get to the big time and they pay you 5K to show and 5K to win. The payoff just isn't there only the very elite of the elite are making any real money.

Yea if you compare the UFC to the other major leagues the pay is beyond pitiful. It's like they want all the benefits of exclusive talent with none of the downsides such as player unions. Just as an example of the pay differential, the human victory cigar known as Adonal Foyle made $63 million in his NBA career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkoNgq-O3R4

That's what a players union can do for you.
6/10/13 2:25 PM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not that UFC shouldn't pay lower guys more, they should. But Fitch has nothing to complain about.
1) failed to market himself to fans 2) 'boring' fight style 3) spent more than makes, 2nd house for example 4) live in Cali, one of the most expensive states to live in
He has/had no leverage and outside GSP/Fitch fight no one tuned in or paid money to watch him. So UFC made money at those events more in spite of him rather than bc of him. There has never been a fan uproar to see him fight GSP again or to main event a PPV.

And to the idiots comparing Fitch pay to MLB: stop. They play 162 reg season games, playoffs, exhibition, team USA, practices, and teams have a MUCH larger pool of people to choose from.

Like other poster mentioned guys like Kos has made plenty of money and he has never been champ and for most part not terribly exciting either. But he made fans care, made himself a draw.

And the purpose of business is to make money. Verizon doesn't pay it's best salesman same money or even close to its executives. Even though sales team gets the people in the door and to sign contract that actually creates revenue. Stop bitching UFC makes money but not sharing it all with fighters. That's almost every business in world.

I'm for lower rung guys making more. Fitch made about what he deserved. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.