UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Fitch responds to Dana White on fighter pay

6/10/13 4:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

176K a year is a decent living. Even in CA. Apparently he needs budgeting lessons. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 4:39 PM
IIAces

D241 -

It's not Fitch's job to market himself, it helps, but that's not his job. 

The job of promoting a fight or fighters, goes to the.......PROMOTION.

Nobody is closer to GSP's wins at welterweight than Jon Fitch. 

Sorry but it comes down to this-

Jon Fitch>Chael Sonnen as a fighter

Chael Sonnen>Jon Fitch as a self promoter

problem, it's not the fighters job to promote themselves, it's their job to train and perform, everything else is secondary.

UFC chooses who they market. They could market proven fighters and explain how proven Fitch is, or they could market people like Chael where instead of showing fight footage, they show trash talk footage.

Fitch is just as, if not more than proven in terms of accomplishments in his division in the UFC.

Sorry but him not getting a rematch against GSP, but Chael and Vitor get to fight for the lhw title-that's an imbalance, and Fitch is one of those guys on the short end of the stick.

There's a reason why guys like Vitor and Chael aren't complaining about money, and a reason guys like Fitch do. Some earn it with their fighting, others earn it with their marketability. The problem is UFC can market anyone, they just go the easy route.

It is the fighters job to promote themselves. They are subcontractors. I have to promote myself to get jobs.

The UFC's job is to promote events not fighters. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 4:40 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Fitch is saying it's not about the money even tho I specifically remember him saying in pre-fight videos that he really needed the money?

6/10/13 4:41 PM
luctaro
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

problem, it's not the fighters job to promote themselves, it's their job to train and perform, everything else is secondary.

UFC chooses who they market. They could market proven fighters and explain how proven Fitch is, or they could market people like Chael where instead of showing fight footage, they show trash talk footage.

Fitch is just as, if not more than proven in terms of accomplishments in his division in the UFC.

Sorry but him not getting a rematch against GSP, but Chael and Vitor get to fight for the lhw title-that's an imbalance, and Fitch is one of those guys on the short end of the stick.

There's a reason why guys like Vitor and Chael aren't complaining about money, and a reason guys like Fitch do. Some earn it with their fighting, others earn it with their marketability. The problem is UFC can market anyone, they just go the easy route.

Show his fight footage instead of Chaels talk?

Because fight footage of Jon Fitch snuggling would bring much dollar. Im I living in bizarro world? Were people here for something coined as 'Fitching'?

And I even was against kicking Fitch out of the UFC. But not because of the things said in this thread.
6/10/13 4:47 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

D241 - 

Am I missing something here?...

Seems like the logical answer to me is the more marketable, the more $$$.

It's not rocket science.

In addition to being a good fighter you have to be marketable... without that there is no progress, which is the goal of the UFC, in addition to people knowing who the fuck you are!!!!!
6/10/13 4:49 PM
attjack

Sounds like he made a lot of money and the UFC made a lot more.
6/10/13 4:51 PM
D241

Stephen Holder - Theres one obvious thing that nobody ever brings up in these threads about fighter pay and I think its funny because its probably the one single factor that influences why the UFC pays fighters what they do...

Dana and the Fertitas will vehemently deny it because it sounds awful to say and you can vote me down until your blue in the face but its the fucking truth:

Fighters have to remain hungry and when most fighters lifestyle changes because they have more money, their motivations change. In one way or another the resulting shift in who they become outside of the cage, affects the type of fighter they are inside the cage and they usually fight for entirely different reasons (they lose their hunger.)

I believe Dana when he said on JRE that he couldn't give a fuck less about money. I don't think that Zuffa after they recouped their losses from early on cant afford to pay their fighters in a fiscal sense literately but rather they cant afford to pay their fighters too much because they will become soft.

I think that the UFC pays its fighters just enough to keep them still hungry until its obvious that they cant justify doing so anymore.

I heard this argument originally by Dana himself, and gave it some thought.

Then I realized, he's full of shit.

You think  a chance of a huge pay increase makes fighters less hungry?

You think if a fighter gets paids shitloads of money, his skills will fall off?

Here is someone who laughs at this idea

6/10/13 4:54 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

It is absolutely a fighter's job to market themselves. At least it is if they want to make more money and have a higher profile.

Same as it is for an author or musician. You can rely on the promoting your label or publisher does, but you are seriously limiting your income and career.

Many authors I know work very hard to promote themselves. Regularly, I have authors contact me (editor for Crime fiction magazine) about doing something to promote an upcoming book. It could be something silly like a short piece on a pet or it could be an article about the inspiration for the new book. They bust their butts to get the word out. Most publishers pay for a handful of signings and it is up to the authors to do any additional work.

I know being an athlete is not the exact same thing, but each has a basic job and has to go above and beyond to get the most out of their career.
6/10/13 4:56 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

D241 - 
Stephen Holder - Theres one obvious thing that nobody ever brings up in these threads about fighter pay and I think its funny because its probably the one single factor that influences why the UFC pays fighters what they do...

Dana and the Fertitas will vehemently deny it because it sounds awful to say and you can vote me down until your blue in the face but its the fucking truth:

Fighters have to remain hungry and when most fighters lifestyle changes because they have more money, their motivations change. In one way or another the resulting shift in who they become outside of the cage, affects the type of fighter they are inside the cage and they usually fight for entirely different reasons (they lose their hunger.)

I believe Dana when he said on JRE that he couldn't give a fuck less about money. I don't think that Zuffa after they recouped their losses from early on cant afford to pay their fighters in a fiscal sense literately but rather they cant afford to pay their fighters too much because they will become soft.

I think that the UFC pays its fighters just enough to keep them still hungry until its obvious that they cant justify doing so anymore.

I heard this argument originally by Dana himself, and gave it some thought.

Then I realized, he's full of shit.

You think  a chance of a huge pay increase makes fighters less hungry?

You think if a fighter gets paids shitloads of money, his skills will fall off?

Here is someone who laughs at this idea

he's also the best self promoter in the biz.

you just contradicted yourself.
6/10/13 4:57 PM
GC111

Shanle929 - 176K a year is a decent living. Even in CA. Apparently he needs budgeting lessons. Phone Post 3.0

You're idiotic. What's your world ranking at your job? The billionth? You shouldn't be making any money then.
6/10/13 5:08 PM
D241

DJmixmasterMobbie - 
D241 - 

It's not rocket science.

In addition to being a good fighter you have to be marketable... without that there is no progress, which is the goal of the UFC, in addition to people knowing who the fuck you are!!!!!

Serious question.

Who do you think has more means to promote Jon Fitch-UFC or Fitch?

Who has money set aside for promoting fighters-fighters, or the promotions?

You think if UFC promoted Fitch way more than what they did, he'd still be making the same money?

Of course not. UFC easily could've shown highlights of Fitch dominating his opponents, getting his hand raised over and over, show stats of his fighting career.

Now this is where it gets gray.

Who is the more proven fighter, Hardy or Fitch? obviously it's fitch

Who is the more marketable fighter, Hardy or Fitch? obvoiusly it's Hardy

UFC has a choice, market the guy who clearly is the better fighter, but less appeal, bland look, bland personality, bland but effective fighting style, vs marketing a guy who has a red mowhawk, is from England, and is very outspoken, has an exciting style, far less proven as a fighter.

UFC went with the option that makes money, not the option that promotes the actual best fighters in the world. It's understandable, but that doesn't make it right, especially for good, honest, hard working guys like Jon Fitch.

6/10/13 5:14 PM
D241

Yeah and I agree occasionally you get the guy whose competitive spirit makes him want to fight even more and make even more money. Lets be real though how many guys get more hungry after being fed more? Its a pretty rare trait. How many guys are making what Mayweather is making to begin with? Hes got a drive that most people simply don't possess and hes the exception not the rule.

Thanks for having an honest discussion.

And I agree not everyone is like Mayweather, there are guys who after they make some money, don't care as much.

But the problem is, for those exception to the rule fighters, they have no way of circumventing the process to get a fraction of Floyd Mayweather money. Dana/Zuffa hold all the cards. If Floyd was in the UFC, he may be so discouraged with his lack of pay, he may give up. We could lose out on seeing one of the best ever, simply b/c they didn't see a way to make money they felt was there, and deserving.

There are guys like Rich Franklin who you can get away with lowballing. But there are guys like Fitch/Rampage, who have more incentive to fight/get better if they can make more money.

Tough shit says the UFC. You get paid what the market is worth. The problem is, UFC is the gold standard, therefor they set the market.

6/10/13 5:21 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
DJmixmasterMobbie - 
D241 - 

It's not rocket science.

Serious question.

You think if UFC promoted Fitch way more than what they did, he'd still be making the same money?

Of course not. UFC easily could've shown highlights of Fitch dominating his opponents, getting his hand raised over and over, show stats of his fighting career.

UFC has a choice, market the guy who clearly is the better fighter, but less appeal, bland look, bland personality, bland but effective fighting style, vs marketing a guy who has a red mowhawk, is from England, and is very outspoken, has an exciting style, far less proven as a fighter.

UFC went with the option that makes money, not the option that promotes the actual best fighters in the world. It's understandable, but that doesn't make it right, especially for good, honest, hard working guys like Jon Fitch.

Again, I have to disagree with you.

First, Fitch was promoted when he was on one of the top fights, same as Hardy.

Look at each fighter coming out of their fights with GSP, Hardy gained fans, in part because he is colorful.

Fitch really did not. Fair or not, fans have never really warmed to him. Both guys have been promoted, one is more memorable.

I remember the UFC promotion of Fitch, he pushed him as a tough, blue collar guy that never gave up and never stopped pursuing his goals and dreams. But it just did not seem to click with fans. A very real part of that is his style. It simply does not appeal to many fans.

As to who can promote a fighter, I ask that you read my previous post.

Fitch can do a ton of promote himself. He did some nice v-blogs when he was laid up, he could do plenty more of them leading up to fights, many other guys (Barry, Stephens and Lauzon) have done so. He could make a point of reaching out to not just the MMA media but also his local media to do radio and TV programs. Many other fighters do that. Ever notice that certain fighters repeatedly do The MMA Hour? I promise you that it is not just Ariel reaching out to them, it is their camps contacting him to appear.

Fitch may be a shy guy, I don't know. But he has never worked the MMA sites all that much. It is a good place to start. If I were managing a fighter, I would contact EVERY local radio station and TV station prior to a UFC fight. A few minutes here and there helps get your name out and helps a fighter establish himself in the public eye.

Another thing: The more a fighter does to build his name, the more it will be appreciated by the UFC marketing team. It makes working with them a lot easier.
6/10/13 5:24 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch doesn't come across as complaining about his pay as much as defending himself from being super expensive and overpaid. He's in the top 10 for wins in the UFC and wasn't one of the highest paid fighters. I see where Fitch is coming from. Phone Post
6/10/13 5:26 PM
D241

Did you answer those?

6/10/13 5:27 PM
luctaro
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 are you trolling? DO you even remember what it was like when Fitch came on screen and everybody knew 'smoke brake'?

Do you even remember Fitch saying in interviews he didnt cared if his fights were boring and the uproar of fans?

And you suggest that UFC should have sold the man to those fans? Friggin bizarro world I tell you
6/10/13 5:29 PM
Stu Cazzo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody tunes into an UFC PPV to see Fitch fight....
The Swinging Richard
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 went full retard a few posts back - I'm settling in.

D241

One aspect that I think is getting overlooked, is age/experience/maturity factor.

I'm 33, I've had several jobs, worked for a fortune 500 company, I am WAY better with my understanding of finances now, than I was at 25.

This is a young man's game, guys as young as 18/19yrs old are getting signed to the UFC.

Think about from 18-25, how much financial knowledge/experience did you have? 

I think it's totally understandable for A.The promotion to see a chance of getting a bargain from an inexperienced fighter, B.A young man who knows nothing and is excited to get his first opportunity.

The problem is once these guys start over spending their money, they realize how they should have managed it. Now they want more money, and aren't as young/explosive as they used to be, and although they have the knowledge how to bargain, they don't have the bargaining chips they used to have.

It's a tough situation. Glad I'm on the outside looking in.

6/10/13 5:31 PM
Lynchman

The Swinging Richard - 

D241 went full retard a few posts back - I'm settling in.

Awesome gif. What is that from?
6/10/13 5:33 PM
Silverball
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GC111 -
Shanle929 - 176K a year is a decent living. Even in CA. Apparently he needs budgeting lessons. Phone Post 3.0

You're idiotic. What's your world ranking at your job? The billionth? You shouldn't be making any money then.
Yeah, and that's not a lot of a money for a family in San Jose, CA. It's an expensive place to live. Cain doesn't even live there. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 5:36 PM
slamming

Choochy - I guess he never had any backroom bonuses or sponsorships? Phone Post
Why hasn't he provided those figures? He made much more than $176,000 per year when you factor those, to which the UFC exposure only makes possible. He's only giving half the story,is he not? Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 5:38 PM
D241

I put a lot of emphasis on professional fighters.
They're not normal. They have normal traits, but they have something that most don't, which is how they end up fighting.

One of my best forms of entertainment, is watching guys fight. 
I'll be honest and say guys like Askren and Fitch aren't nearly as exciting as other welter weights, but I also think they are better than guys who are more exciting than them. I still think they should be paid high. Give the exciting guys fights that give them extra pay like main event or ppv cut, but guys who can kick asses of most everyone else, they should be paid better.

There's a reason people like Dana and the Fertitta brothers aren't complaining about how much money they pay to the fighters. 

I guarandamntee you that if UFC was struggling to where they have to go the k1 route and look at skimping fighters on their contractual pay, Dana would be dropping f-bombs left and right about how much the fighters are making while the company is scraping by.

Fighters like Fitch have been with the company for a long time, see them(UFC) improving, see them getting network deals, and Fitch wasn't seeing any of the growth in terms of being compensated financially.

6/10/13 5:38 PM
Fan of fanboys
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 -
DJmixmasterMobbie - 
D241 - 

It's not rocket science.

Serious question.

That's why it is an for-profit sports entertainment business.

Not a .org. Not a strictly athletic like say college wrestling Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 5:55 PM
Macedawgg
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - I wonder when big name MMA fighters will split to fight eacher in their own event and just share their money ala boxing .. more money for a strong undercard too

And by design, this is contractually prohibited to the greatest extent possible. . . and exactly why you don't see the UFC correct the "champion's clause" which Epstein admitted was of questionable enforceability. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.