UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Schaub/Cyborg press conference vid

6/11/13 2:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
no-gi_JAMES420
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff -
stillmatic - 
Cyril Jeff - 
Penetration Skills - 
Cyril Jeff - 
nobones -  Any moderately athletic white belt with less than 6 months bjj training can learn how to not engage with even the highest level black belt. Phone Post

you don't really believe a 6mth BB would survive with Cyborg, do you?

Schaub catching too much heat imo, Cyborg IS WorldClass, he had a couple opportunities to catch Brendan...

is this an ambien walrus post or did you not watch the match? in bjj schaub would have been penalized for not engaging

brendan did not want top and he did not want bottom

what else do you want?

metamoris is a sub only event. if you are not going to grapple in a sub only event get the fuck out. don't do it. if you are scurred of a BB champ, do not accept the match. go get a match with Ari Bolden instead

no, I watched it, he was in Cyborgs half guard several times, and even in his full guard at one point, what did you want him to do? dangle his leg out there?

Try to win?

for sure, cause beating Cyrbog in a sub only fight is super easy...

Dude... Why even sign up if you're not gonna try to win? Phone Post
6/11/13 3:00 PM
BigEyedFish
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" fair enough, your gripe is not with Brendan at all then, Ralek is the one you should be upset with imo..."

lol are you kidding me? BS was the guy who took money in exchange for a service. He did not perform his end of the deal and should have been penalized through the purse.

My gripe is with Ralek for giving his friend a spot in this. My gripe is also with his friend for being completely unaware as to what a grappling event is and should be. Both men are tools in this instance.

" for sure, cause beating Cyrbog in a sub only fight is super easy..."

This is Metamoris. Beating NONE if the competitors is easy, nor should it be. That is the whole point. Now how on earth do you justify one combatant not trying whatsoever. Not engaging, and running away? You have got to be kidding me.
6/11/13 3:38 PM
T-Ham
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least try!!!

Complete waste of time for Cyborg and the fans.

What a dick. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 3:57 PM
steveAKAslick
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at his wiki page

6/11/13 6:23 PM
Cyril Jeff
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
MTH -
Cyril Jeff - 
stillmatic - 
Cyril Jeff - 

no, I watched it, he was in Cyborgs half guard several times, and even in his full guard at one point, what did you want him to do? dangle his leg out there?

Try to win?

I'm confused . . . did Schaub not sign up for the match? 

Did that not imply that he believed he could win, and represent to those who would watch and pay that he would in fact attempt to win? 

At the very least--even if we went so far as to agree with Schaub that merely "surviving" or "shutting down" Abreu's game was somehow a "moral victory" that isn't offensive to the spirt of a competition--then doesn't signing up for the match at a minimum imply that Schaub would actively engage Abreu in the attempt to "shut down" his game?

How is what Schaub did any different than what Kalib Starnes did?  If it's not different, do you defend Starnes's actions in the same way?  How was Schaub's behavior not disrespectful not only to those who paid to view the match, but also to Abreu specifically and the spirit of competition generally?

I think you're assuming quite a bit...

Do I think Brendan wanted to win? Sure.
Do I think he thought he wasn't the MAJOR underdog? Of course not.

Disrespectful? Lets not act like the match never hit the mat, it wasn't 20 min if the neat gif and you know it... Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 6:28 PM
Cyril Jeff
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
no-gi_JAMES420 -
Cyril Jeff -
stillmatic - 
Cyril Jeff - 
Penetration Skills - 
Cyril Jeff - 
nobones -  Any moderately athletic white belt with less than 6 months bjj training can learn how to not engage with even the highest level black belt. Phone Post

Schaub catching too much heat imo, Cyborg IS WorldClass, he had a couple opportunities to catch Brendan...

is this an ambien walrus post or did you not watch the match? in bjj schaub would have been penalized for not engaging

what else do you want?

metamoris is a sub only event. if you are not going to grapple in a sub only event get the fuck out. don't do it. if you are scurred of a BB champ, do not accept the match. go get a match with Ari Bolden instead

Try to win?

Dude... Why even sign up if you're not gonna try to win? Phone Post
I think he was genuinely surprised that Cyborg wasn't more aggressive...

with that being said, what would have been worse, Brendan falling into Cyborg's Z guard and getting tapped in the first 15sec, or playing it safe as until an opportunity arises? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 6:29 PM
BigEyedFish
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

exactly what sort of opportunity is going to arise when you refuse to enter grappling range in a grappling match?

serious question
6/11/13 6:34 PM
Shoco
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He doesn't really make a good showing of himself in that vid. Phone Post
6/11/13 6:40 PM
kcbjj
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone think we will see highlights of this awful match in a Gracie promotion or advertisement? Like see how you can shut down a world class competitor? I might puke if they do that. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 6:44 PM
Louisvillain
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somebody please post Schaub getting ktfo by Big Ben and punching the air afterwards.

Fuck that guy. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 6:46 PM
PyleDrive Me, I Love It Baby
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -
BigEyedFish - 

for ID

Schaub is a brilliant innovator at the cutting edge of absolute boredom, combining stalling BJJ and point fighting, mind blown.

We've had Lay n Pray
We've had Wall n Stall
I present you Stand n Tap Phone Post
6/11/13 6:48 PM
stillmatic
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigEyedFish - exactly what sort of opportunity is going to arise when you refuse to enter grappling range in a grappling match?

serious question

My thoughts exactly. What part of submission grappling involves circling away and refusing to engage?

Cyborg had to shoot his TD's from a mile away, because anytime he got within better range, Schaub would go to the edge of the mat.
6/11/13 6:53 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PyleDrive Me, I Love It Baby -
2JupitersTooMany -
BigEyedFish - 

for ID

Schaub is a brilliant innovator at the cutting edge of absolute boredom, combining stalling BJJ and point fighting, mind blown.

We've had Lay n Pray
We've had Wall n Stall
Daub and Schaub? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 6:54 PM
stillmatic
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff - 
MTH -
Cyril Jeff - 
stillmatic - 
Cyril Jeff - 

Try to win?

I'm confused . . . did Schaub not sign up for the match? 

Did that not imply that he believed he could win, and represent to those who would watch and pay that he would in fact attempt to win? 

At the very least--even if we went so far as to agree with Schaub that merely "surviving" or "shutting down" Abreu's game was somehow a "moral victory" that isn't offensive to the spirt of a competition--then doesn't signing up for the match at a minimum imply that Schaub would actively engage Abreu in the attempt to "shut down" his game?

How is what Schaub did any different than what Kalib Starnes did?  If it's not different, do you defend Starnes's actions in the same way?  How was Schaub's behavior not disrespectful not only to those who paid to view the match, but also to Abreu specifically and the spirit of competition generally?

I think you're assuming quite a bit...

Do I think Brendan wanted to win? Sure.
Do I think he thought he wasn't the MAJOR underdog? Of course not.

Disrespectful? Lets not act like the match never hit the mat, it wasn't 20 min if the neat gif and you know it... Phone Post 3.0

You don't think it's disrespectful that someone shows up to a match with no intention of winning?
6/11/13 6:58 PM
stillmatic

I actually think what Schaub did was far more shameful than what Starnes did. Starnes got beat up pretty good during that fight, broke his foot and then decided to just survive. We see that in fights sometimes where fighters stop trying to win. It wouldn't have gotten the attention it did if Quarry didn't mock him. Starnes at least engaged and tried earlier in the fight. Schaub did nothing the entire match unless you want to count his hail mary sub attempt with 10 seconds to go.
6/11/13 6:59 PM
PyleDrive Me, I Love It Baby
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 
2JupitersTooMany -
BigEyedFish - 

for ID

We've had Lay n Pray
We've had Wall n Stall

Damn, way better than me.
Thats why 2Jupes will always > me :(
6/11/13 7:00 PM
Oontyex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff -
stillmatic - 
Cyril Jeff - 
Penetration Skills - 
Cyril Jeff - 

what else do you want?

Try to win?

If Shaub thought that grappling cyborg was such an impossible task that it wasn't even worth giving a genuine attempt, why agree to the match?
I'm sure they could have found a different opponent and its hard to imagine they'd have found someone else less game.
He wasted everyone's time and money and was smug about it Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 7:15 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 
2JupitersTooMany -
BigEyedFish - 

for ID

We've had Lay n Pray
We've had Wall n Stall

Damn, way better than me.
Thats why 2Jupes will always > me :(
Yours has more universal appeal. Mine only applies where a guy is pretending to daub something on his opponent's forehead. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 7:20 PM
Nuevo Haole

why isnt anyone making fun of the guy sitting down?

6/11/13 7:21 PM
circa305

Just watched the post fight interview and cant wait to see him get KTFO again.
6/11/13 7:22 PM
WoodenPupa
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The TMA in me wants to grab that arm and Segal it.
6/11/13 7:23 PM
wiggum
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuevo Haole - 

Because they saw the match and know that Cyborg tried to engage with him in any possible way - standing up and sitting down.
6/11/13 7:27 PM
tio te
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - 
Nuevo Haole - 

Because they saw the match and know that Cyborg tried to engage with him in any possible way - standing up and sitting down.

^ Beat me to it. It's a grappling match, so it's assumed that the competitors will try to engage each other on the ground. Cyborg did everything conceivable to engage. When they were on their feet, Schlob ran to the edge of the platform.

What else could Cyborg have done besides tackle Schlob off of the platform? In hindsight, I bet he wishes he did just that.
6/11/13 7:29 PM
Barbalos

tio te - 
wiggum - 
Nuevo Haole - 

^ Beat me to it. It's a grappling match, so it's assumed that the competitors will try to engage each other on the ground. Cyborg did everything conceivable to engage. When they were on their feet, Schlob ran to the edge of the platform.

What else could Cyborg have done besides tackle Schlob off of the platform? In hindsight, I bet he wishes he did just that.

There is no reasonable justification for this. There were points were Cyborg was jogging towards him looking to engage and Schaub is literally running away. Shameful.
6/11/13 7:41 PM
soreshins
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And people wonder why bjj isn't a big spectator sport?

Hope Schaub gets ktfo next fight for that sham

But also pure lol at the dude sitting cross legged on the ground getting palmed in the forehead

Entertaining pastime but a joke as a televised sport Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.