UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lawyer: Diaz still retired for immediate future

6/10/13 11:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Following his loss to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158, Nick Diaz announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. Shortly thereafter news broke that he was getting into the promoting business in North California. Today Diaz's lawyer Jonathan Tweedale spoke to Ariel Helwani about the new promotion and re-iterated that Diaz will likely stay retired, well unless an interesting matchup can coax him back:

"Of course these guys want to fight him," Tweedale remarked. "Anyone would want to fight a legendary figure in the sport. The problem is, for them, he's retired, and unless there's a very good reason to step out of retirement, I don't see that changing."

What that very good reason is, remains to be seen. For what it's worth, Diaz's position, however farfetched, has remained consistent. He wants either a rematch against UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre or a title fight against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

All the same, even Tweedale can't say for sure if Diaz's retirement will forever hinge on those two unlikely goals.

"That depends on two things," Tweedale said in closing. "It depends on whether the fans really want to see him in a really interesting match-up, and it depends whether Nick is willing to come out of retirement and bring the fans a really, really big match.

"It's just difficult to imagine anything not involving one of those two fighters, at this point in time, that would be sufficient. But you're right, maybe in three years the landscape has totally changed. Anderson is long retired, GSP is retired, there's a new welterweight champ that's held the belt for a couple years. Who knows? You can never predict the future. But as of now, he's retired, and I don't see that changing anytime in the imminent future."

read entire article... 

6/10/13 11:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheOneDylanThomas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see Nick and Condit do a TUF season. I feel like Nick would be an incredible coach.
6/10/13 11:29 PM
LILBROCK

Shame...he's fought once in the past 16 months with no fight in sight. Nothing against Nick but he's just not in a position to demand superfights. If he doesn't get to fighting while in his prime, he's going to regret this someday.
6/10/13 11:42 PM
Cheatachue
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sucks. I'd like to see Diaz/Condit or even Diaz/Rory. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:44 PM
JimmersonzGlove
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad move not getting some big purses while he still can. Phone Post
6/10/13 11:47 PM
The Loge
760 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CanadianGSPFan - He got dominated by a flu-stricken GSP for five rounds, and he thinks he has a chance against a healthy one? Lol Phone Post
Canadian Thai Guy! Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:48 PM
Ip Man 81

TheOneDylanThomas - I'd love to see Nick and Condit do a TUF season. I feel like Nick would be an incredible coach.
Ya I'm sure he would be.

Nick: "who wants to hot box the sauna before practice"? Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:51 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Loge -
CanadianGSPFan - He got dominated by a flu-stricken GSP for five rounds, and he thinks he has a chance against a healthy one? Lol Phone Post
Canadian Thai Guy! Phone Post 3.0
LOL Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:52 PM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge fan of Diaz, but who does his lawyer think he is to talk like that. He only deserves big fights my ass. How does he deserve to get another fight with gsp or a fight with Anderson? Phone Post
6/11/13 12:02 AM
cool hand Ed
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - Bad move not getting some big purses while he still can. Phone Post
Pretty much this Phone Post
6/11/13 12:03 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

CanadianGSPFan -  He got dominated by a flu-stricken GSP for five rounds, and he thinks he has a chance against a healthy one? Lol Phone Post

GSP did his usual "not much" against Diaz and won, but it was by no means a domination. I also don't believe for a second that St.Pierre had the flu, it was a fabrication to explain why Georges told everyone (again) "I am going to 'urt 'im, you will see a new GSP"...and then didn't. What Valasquez did to Lesnar was a domination.
Oh, and you've just been voted down by a Canadian member of Team Renzo Gracie.
6/11/13 12:14 AM
Taste It
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is just getting embarrassing...if he wants to stay relevant then fight
6/11/13 12:18 AM
mmaattorney

You guys. Anderson will happen. Trust me :) Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:18 AM
mmaattorney

Tweedales the man Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:29 AM
hendofanforlife

So he took his Legos and went home and has stayed there?
6/11/13 12:45 AM
Ip Man 81

mmaattorney - You guys. Anderson will happen. Trust me :) Phone Post 3.0
There is absolutely ZERO chance that Diaz-Silva happens. The UFC has made some crazy match ups lately, buts theres no way this happens.

And if it did happens for some crazy reason it would be a lot like Silva-Griffin. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:56 AM
Sublime7SD
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It's just difficult to imagine anything not involving one of those two fighters, at this point in time, that would be sufficient."

I am a Diaz fan, but this is pushing it in my opinion. He's coming off of back to back losses, one to GSP. I would still be excited for a fight between Diaz and GSP (or Silva) but only because I'm excited every time he fights. If Nick is retiring unless the UFC will give him nothing but title shots, I can't say that I sympathize with him. It sounds like he wants to retire with a belt to me.
6/11/13 2:15 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

CanadianGSPFan - 
TeamRenzo4Life -
CanadianGSPFan -  He got dominated by a flu-stricken GSP for five rounds, and he thinks he has a chance against a healthy one? Lol Phone Post

GSP did his usual "not much" against Diaz and won, but it was by no means a domination. I also don't believe for a second that St.Pierre had the flu, it was a fabrication to explain why Georges told everyone (again) "I am going to 'urt 'im, you will see a new GSP"...and then didn't. What Valasquez did to Lesnar was a domination.
Oh, and you've just been voted down by a Canadian member of Team Renzo Gracie.
Voted DOWN!!?? For real????

Listen, man, I've got three kids to feed, and my wife's two weeks late, so it might become four. This is NOT the time for me to get voted down.
What will I tell my kids!? My wife!!?? Phone Post

If you're worried so much about what your wife and kids think, why are you all over GSP's nuts?

For real though, awesome response, voted up ;)
6/11/13 3:13 AM
Barbalos

Good.
6/11/13 3:14 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's annoying that almost everyone around Nick seems to treat him as if he was Floyd Mayweather Jr. Nick's one of the toughest guys around, but he acts like such a primadonna sometimes. Nobody wants to see him get an undeserved title shot.
6/11/13 7:43 AM
The Swinging Richard
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At some point I would really like to see Diaz v. Matt Brown.
6/11/13 8:09 AM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -  Bad move not getting some big purses while he still can. Phone Post

Agreed.

Dana has said it many times, fighters have a very small window where they can make some serious money fighting, and Diaz is in that window. He is in his prime earning years, and he is pissing them away with suspensions and retirements.
6/11/13 8:41 AM
titoscared
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you really retired if you can be coaxed out?
He is losing lots of money and certainly should earn a title shot against GSP or the spider.

who has he beat at 170 in the UFC (pls dont say BJ he is a real 155)

who else gets a title shot after a loss?

I say he needs at least 2 top ten wins b4 another title shot.
I say match him up with
Rory, jake, Maia or even Kos.

If he don't want any of those fights have fun in Bellator
6/11/13 9:04 AM
mofomike
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From: cool hand Ed 98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile
Posted: 9 hours ago

JimmersonzGlove - Bad move not getting some big purses while he still can. Phone Post

Pretty much this Phone Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly this. 

6/11/13 9:59 AM
orcus

How is Tweedale's legal case against Zuffa and the AC's for their illegal and in-breach-of-contract weight rounding going?  Has he called in Goku yet to help?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.