UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nelson: They needed me to save UFC 161

6/10/13 11:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

With the loss of the original main event for UFC 161, and with no suitable replacements, the UFC needed another marquee bout to help boost the show. In steps Roy Nelson, who is only six weeks removed from a stunning knockout of Cheick Kongo. Nelson agreed to fight Stipe Miocic to in his words 'save the show':

“I think win or lose, I have fans and fans want to watch me fight. Win or lose, I always give a hundred percent. I actually just got the best compliment, he said ‘I remind him of the Mike Tyson era where you never know what’s going to happen with one punch’.”

Miocic, a former NCAA divison I wrestler and baseball player from Cleveland, was undefeated prior to being knocked out by Stefan Struve last September. He had three UFC wins to his credit prior to the Struve loss and was starting to build some hype for himself. Originally, he was slated to face Soa “The Hulk” Palelei. When the main event was lost due to Renan Barao’s injury, Rashad Evans and Dan Henderson became the main event. There was no marquee co-main event to give the Manitoba fans, so Roy was called upon to face Stipe because as he put it: “The whole card went to crap. They needed someone to save it. So they called Roy Nelson.”

“The reason why they gave me Stipe is because they needed someone to sell out the arena. They put me on it. As soon as they put me on it, it sold out,” Roy later added.

read entire article...

6/10/13 11:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crocop's son is getting KO'ed with 8 minutes. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:36 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First Roy has to beat Stipe and sign a new deal and then fight and beat a top 10 HW before we can talk about a title shot.

Beat Stipe, sign a new deal and then beat Barnett, DC or Reem/Browne winner and then he can call for a title shot in 2014.
6/10/13 11:36 PM
DoomFarmer
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't get me wrong...I like seeing Roy fight but to say that it sold out due to him being on the card?

Hope Stipe pulls this off, btw. I want to see him bounce bacl from that Struve loss.
6/10/13 11:39 PM
Porkchop

This is the first I've heard of this comain switch. What happened to Palelei? Did he just get fucked out of a fight?
6/10/13 11:41 PM
JimmersonzGlove
535 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Country is awesome. Phone Post
6/10/13 11:49 PM
whatarewedoin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Nelson fan but as a Winnipeger, this fight would have sold out regardless. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:49 PM
MartialArtsMixed
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop - This is the first I've heard of this comain switch. What happened to Palelei? Did he just get fucked out of a fight?

looks like it

6/10/13 11:53 PM
dirtymonkey22
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think this will be a better fight then hendo / rashad by far i love seeing roy fight but a tittle maybe if he drops down to lhw maybe Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:54 PM
Chris27

MartialArtsMixed - 
Porkchop - This is the first I've heard of this comain switch. What happened to Palelei? Did he just get fucked out of a fight?

looks like it

He was moved to 164 vs some Russian prospect newcomer. Probably a better first fight for him than Stipe.

Wonder if he just got moved or if they paid him his show. If they paid him and moved him to a card two months later thats good for him, if they just moved him thats kind of shitty.
6/11/13 12:02 AM
UGSlapshot

dirtymonkey22 - I actually think this will be a better fight then hendo / rashad by far i love seeing roy fight but a tittle maybe if he drops down to lhw maybe Phone Post 3.0
I think that you have unreasonable expectations. Phone Post
6/11/13 12:11 AM
JuniorCallMeMaybe

In for DFW, jr Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:27 AM
TommyRSU
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Stipe. Phone Post
6/11/13 12:32 AM
stevarino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, Nelson's punches remind me of Fedor's. Getting beat and then BAM! Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:33 AM
frontrowbrian

using some of chael's material.

6/11/13 12:55 AM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not exactly a fan of Nelson but that comment made me smile. He does have the power to KO anyone and you certainly never know whats going to happen. Well usually its one of two things, him ko'ing someone or being a punching bag. That said his fights are generally entertaining and you dont know when its going to end.

As far as him saving the card I think he has a point to a certain degree. I think he adds some quality to a card that was a bit lacking but hes far from saving anything.
6/11/13 12:58 AM
UGCTT_Pariah

I really want nothing more than for Stipe to smash Nelson for 15 minutes straight. I can't stand Nelson and, to be quite honest, I hope he gets released and I never have to see him again. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 1:02 AM
soremano

I like roy nelson

he's got that anti social individualistic appeal of 'fuck your boss' and he is good enough to pull it off

hero of the little man, the common worker

6/11/13 1:02 AM
GaryColeman

UGCTT_Pariah - I really want nothing more than for Stipe to smash Nelson for 15 minutes straight. I can't stand Nelson and, to be quite honest, I hope he gets released and I never have to see him again. Phone Post 3.0
I hope YOU get released and we never have to hear from YOU again. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 1:09 AM
ChaosOverkill
570 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontrowbrian - using some of chael's material.

Oh look it's the MMA comment police who swore he'd never come back here.

6/11/13 1:24 AM
dannyapodaca
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like roy Phone Post
6/11/13 1:29 AM
Caligulus

Roy Nelson is fucking awesome
6/11/13 1:42 AM
frontrowbrian

ChaosOverkill - 

never left ya cunt
6/11/13 1:47 AM
ThirdJackson
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontrowbrian -
ChaosOverkill - 

never left ya cunt
But you said you were.... Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 2:10 AM
bekk46

big_roy_fan - isn't front row brian that guy who thought he was a journalist and said vitor faile his drug test?

i'd just do myself a favor and never read anything else that guy says, hes clearly a dumbass

as much as i hate agreeing with big roy fan, hes right on this one

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.