UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shaq to NY pols: 'Do the right thing'

6/11/13 9:06 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Despite support from state legislators and the public, it inreasingly looks as if New York will remain the only State or Privince in North Freakin America that prohibits mixed martial arts.

This week the New York State Assembly is expected to discuss in private whether to allow a vote on the bill before the current legislative session ends on June 20.

Retired NBA superstar, and mixed martial artist Shaquille O'Neal just issued a statement imploring New York's political leadership to do the right thing:

"For more than a decade, I’ve trained in MMA," said O'Neal. "I’ve studied boxing, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, and wrestling.  I’ve practiced martial arts and MMA for the last 15 years.  I know how MMA training helps both the body and the mind. I know that MMA training teaches respect and discipline, I’ve been to MMA matches – UFC and other promoters, professional and amateur – and I know that this is a real sport, requiring incredible athleticism and has a fan base that rivals the home crowds I played in front of for the Lakers, Heat and Celtics.

"I’ve been to a UFC event at the TD Garden in Boston and I would love to attend one at the ‘Mecca’ – Madison Square Garden.  As a businessman and sports enthusiast, I know the kind of economic activity UFC and other MMA events bring to communities.  It would be huge in New York City and would be even bigger for those struggling upstate New York communities. New Yorkers love their Knicks and Nets, Yankees and Mets, Giants and Jets, and they also love MMA.  It’s time for New York to do the right thing.

"The State Assembly should allow a vote on the bill to legalize MMA. The Senate has supported it and now it’s time for the Assembly to give New Yorkers a fair opportunity to be able to watch MMA at an arena in their hometown. I know the Speaker loves the Rangers, but millions of New Yorkers also love MMA with the same passion he has for hockey.”

6/11/13 9:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jobe Watson's New and Improved Butler -  Any support is good support I guess. Phone Post

There's no guessing about it. He's one of the most famous athletes of the past few decades, and he loves MMA. It's great support.

6/11/13 9:46 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

where was this from?

6/11/13 9:47 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 
Jobe Watson's New and Improved Butler -  Any support is good support I guess. Phone Post

There's no guessing about it. He's one of the most famous athletes of the past few decades, and he loves MMA. It's great support.

no doubt about it.

6/11/13 10:10 AM
Lurker of the Year 2007 and 2008
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyril Jeff - 

where was this from?

The NY Daily News has an article up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/shaq-ny-legalize-mixed-martial-arts-article-1.1368783
6/11/13 10:17 AM
youarewhatiswrong
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would this be anything but a good thing? I don't understand.
6/11/13 10:51 AM
UGCTT_whoreymcdonald
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Islanders can't get a mention. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 10:51 AM
Diesel67

Nobody in Albaby will listen until he elbows a few stinking politicians in the mouth. Teeth on the chamber floor.
6/11/13 11:09 AM
Lurker of the Year 2007 and 2008
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_whoreymcdonald - Poor Islanders can't get a mention. Phone Post 3.0

They will when they get to brooklyn, ;-)
6/11/13 11:37 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats why he was my childhood hero. Fuck man Shaq preached the truth once again.If he ever played for the Knicks thing would be golden . Still cannot make a more convincing case. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 11:51 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lurker of the Year 2007 and 2008 - 
UGCTT_whoreymcdonald - Poor Islanders can't get a mention. Phone Post 3.0

They will when they get to brooklyn, ;-)

LMAO!

6/11/13 11:54 AM
MMArijuana

youarewhatiswrong -

Why would this be anything but a good thing? I don't understand.
Same. Shaq is a awesome. Phone Post
6/11/13 11:56 AM
caposa
1835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tell em Shaq

6/11/13 12:18 PM
Cyril Jeff

Edited: 06/11/13 12:19 PM
Lurker of the Year 2007 and 2008 - 
Cyril Jeff - 

where was this from?

The NY Daily News has an article up.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/shaq-ny-legalize-mixed-martial-arts-article-1.1368783

thanks for the source

Shaquille O'Neal lends his support to legalizing mixed martial arts in New York State

O'Neal said he's trained over the past decade in mixed martial arts. The basketball legend says fans' fervor for MMA is no different from that of hockey enthusiasts.

6/11/13 12:29 PM
ortman166

Can't wait Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 12:30 PM
ortman166

Wrong thread... Lol I've never done that before, and I've always wondered how someone could do that. Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 1:03 PM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/11/13 1:11 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shaq is the man Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 1:13 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MSG

6/11/13 1:20 PM
RickStorm
1909 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin
ortman166 - Wrong thread... Lol I've never done that before, and I've always wondered how someone could do that. Phone Post 3.0

WTA =)

6/11/13 3:13 PM
MMALOGIC

it's all sheldon silver... zuffa and MSG need to have a sit down with this douchebag and make an offer he cant refuse.
6/11/13 7:14 PM
TheKidAintMine
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for the Big Aristotle!!!!
6/11/13 10:07 PM
DoctorVanNostran

BBQ CHICKEN!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 10:12 PM
Fudge Cake
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty was quoted as saying legalization of MMA was very low priority for him, Dana and Lorenzo paid him a visit. The following week, all I heard on the radio was how MMA was legalized. These New York politicians also want Dana and Lozenzo to pay them a visit (with money bags) ;)
6/11/13 10:18 PM
shaqitup
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaq's lookin for dat mike tyson treatment.

hopefully this can help

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.