UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Fitch Sponsor Pay

6/12/13 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In his whole money discussion, I noticed that Jon Fitch did not include what he's made from sponsors and personal appearances during his UFC tenure.

Seems disengenuous to exclude it.

6/12/13 12:50 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/12/13 12:53 PM
RickStorm
1603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/13 12:52 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

LOL

VTFU Anderson's BBC & Pitbull

6/12/13 1:00 PM
PyleDrive Me, I Love It Baby
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love it when the UG works together Phone Post
6/12/13 1:18 PM
B_Goetz

Seems irrelevant and none of your business.
6/12/13 1:23 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

B_Goetz - Seems irrelevant and none of your business.

neither is his pay but he has no problem sharing that
6/12/13 1:25 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it's none of my business, why is he making videos talking about it?

6/12/13 1:47 PM
Macedawgg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why? 

His video was about what the UFC paid him.

The UFC does not pay Jon's endorsements.

6/12/13 2:08 PM
TheKidAintMine
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustTheTip - 
AnakinHelwani - 

Because Dana went public with how expensive he was to keep around so he broke down what he made so he elaborated on that. I don't see an issue. He didn't say he was broke or wanted more money. Can you point to a time when he's ever said the UFC should have paid him more?

And why would he bring up sponsor pay, seminars, privates? What do they have to do with the UFC's pay, which again, is what Dana brought up?

This whole thing didn't start with fighter pay or sponsor money or anything like that.

Fitch did an interview where he said that the UFC was a hostile work environment , how Zuffa was working against him and didn't want him there. Dana responded by saying that if we didn't want you here and that this was a hostile work environment, then why did we pay you all that bonus money? That's it.

It was the people on this board who actually ran with it and made it about how much or how little Fitch was paid, how much he pays in taxes, how much his sponsors paid, etc.
6/12/13 2:13 PM
Macedawgg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^

I've seen this numerous times, and it does not appear to be true.  Jon certainly raises those issues in his video--as much as a number of people are attempting to now explain them away.  Here are a few comments--of Jon's, taken from that video: 

"The idea that they're paying anyone enough money to where it would affect how they do business is a joke," he said. "They have enough money to pay the fighters at the events from ticket sales, easily. That's not counting pay-per-views, merchandise and any of the other stuff that goes on – even the concessions at those arenas."

"There's a reason why nobody has the numbers, because it would look really bad on them if people actually had the numbers to see what they were spending on those kind of things. It's not what they make it out to be."

"I think their profit margins – the amount of money they make compared to amount of money they spend out compared to what they actually pay the fighters – I think they could spare quite a bit more. A lot of that comes down to management. You get the managers to grow a pair and really come together and fight for money for the athletes."

"That is an extreme lowball for the money that they're making."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/ex-ufc-welterweight-jon-fitch-responds-to-dana-whites-fight-pay-comments

6/12/13 2:22 PM
TheKidAintMine
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 

^^^

I've seen this numerous times, and it does not appear to be true.  Jon certainly raises those issues in his video--as much as a number of people are attempting to now explain them away.  Here are a few comments--of Jon's, taken from that video: 

"The idea that they're paying anyone enough money to where it would affect how they do business is a joke," he said. "They have enough money to pay the fighters at the events from ticket sales, easily. That's not counting pay-per-views, merchandise and any of the other stuff that goes on – even the concessions at those arenas."

"There's a reason why nobody has the numbers, because it would look really bad on them if people actually had the numbers to see what they were spending on those kind of things. It's not what they make it out to be."

"I think their profit margins – the amount of money they make compared to amount of money they spend out compared to what they actually pay the fighters – I think they could spare quite a bit more. A lot of that comes down to management. You get the managers to grow a pair and really come together and fight for money for the athletes."

"That is an extreme lowball for the money that they're making."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/ex-ufc-welterweight-jon-fitch-responds-to-dana-whites-fight-pay-comments

Here's the interview that Dana gave addressing Jon's original comments. Dana doesn't say anything about Jon's pay affecting Zuffa's business. Dana just says that if this was a hostile work environment and we didn't want you here, then why did we give you that bonus money?

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/dana-white-delusional-jon-fitch-made-302k-in-ufc-discretionary-bonus-money

The link you provided are Jon's comments to the interview I linked above.

6/12/13 2:25 PM
Macedawgg

Edited: 06/12/13 2:30 PM

Sure, I agree with that. 

I also agree Fitch did not initially say anything about pay.

He did, however, in responding to White (who did bring up pay), have quite a few things to say about pay.

In other words, since Dana White made it an issue, Fitch responded.  Good for him.

6/12/13 2:28 PM
TheKidAintMine

Macedawgg - 

Sure, I agree with that. 

I also agree Fitch did not initially say anything about pay.

He did, however, in responding to White (who did bring up pay), have quite a few things to say about pay.

I concur with your concurrence.
6/12/13 2:41 PM
wicketone

JustTheTip - 
AnakinHelwani - 

Because Dana went public with how expensive he was to keep around so he broke down what he made so he elaborated on that. I don't see an issue. He didn't say he was broke or wanted more money. Can you point to a time when he's ever said the UFC should have paid him more?

And why would he bring up sponsor pay, seminars, privates? What do they have to do with the UFC's pay, which again, is what Dana brought up?

That's pretty ignorant to say. What does his sponsorship have to with his pay???

Well if you had an inkling of how businesses run then you definitely wouldn't of made that statement. I'm not trying to be rude here either.

I am about fighter pay just like everyone else but lets call a spade a spade here.

The UFC spends MILLIONS of dollars on advertising. They put this guys in front of millions of people. Putting fighters on T.V spending copious amounts of money on fighter profile video's, changing legislation, stadium setup, should I go on??? Can you even imagine what the UFC's burn rate is. UFC gives these fighters the opportunity to showcase their skills at the highest lvl with the largest reach. They don't charge they fighters for any of these things.

Whether the UFC pays them more or starts charging for setup fees and the like, its a wash. These fighters are contractors not employees. In the REAL world contractors pay for ALL their expenses and of course remit them later much like a fighter can. But who cares you get the drift.

Now here is where the sponsors come into play. Sponsorship money is a direct result of fighting in the UFC. Perhaps UFC should ask for a percentage off of that revenue right? I mean fighters get % from PPV and the money UFC "invests(yes invests) to put these shows on.
If Fitch didn't fight for the UFC who would be asking him to come and give a seminar? Who? Who the f**k is Fitch at that point.

UFC chooses to make an investment. A choice, just as your line of work. You don't like what you are making do something else. Otherwise go to the bank or some rich friend and feed him a pipe dream. Take the money and start your own promotion. Everyone talks about how hard these fighters work. Yes it is the truth. However I don't know a single person who works harder then the upper management UFC.

I am not a UFC nuthugger for the record. Just so tired of hearing the babies crying about money and pay.

Can you imagine the lead software programmer telling Microsoft he wants 10 bucks every time the OS is sold. Or tell McDonalds that you want a buck off of every big mac because you cooked it, ha-ha. I swear some of you must have never worked a day in your lives.

You don't like your job? Feel undervalued? Want more? Is your job not doing it for you? What's wrong mommy wont give you an allowance anymore?? Then find another job. Otherwise shut up.

6/12/13 2:56 PM
Macedawgg

LOL at the above. 

Your analysis would be perfect--if we were talking about American Idol or WWE. 

If you had an inkling about professional sports, and I'm not trying to be rude here, you'd realize, that sport rewards talent based upon competition to determine result. 

The UFC did nothing to either augment or make that happen. 

Millions in advertising is just the cost of doing business as a promoter.  Just like the Yankees also pay advertising. 

6/12/13 3:25 PM
wicketone

JustTheTip - 
wicketone - 
JustTheTip - 
AnakinHelwani - 

That's pretty ignorant to say. What does his sponsorship have to with his pay???

Well if you had an inkling of how businesses run then you definitely wouldn't of made that statement. I'm not trying to be rude here either.

I am about fighter pay just like everyone else but lets call a spade a spade here.

The UFC spends MILLIONS of dollars on advertising. They put this guys in front of millions of people. Putting fighters on T.V spending copious amounts of money on fighter profile video's, changing legislation, stadium setup, should I go on??? Can you even imagine what the UFC's burn rate is. UFC gives these fighters the opportunity to showcase their skills at the highest lvl with the largest reach. They don't charge they fighters for any of these things.

Whether the UFC pays them more or starts charging for setup fees and the like, its a wash. These fighters are contractors not employees. In the REAL world contractors pay for ALL their expenses and of course remit them later much like a fighter can. But who cares you get the drift.

Now here is where the sponsors come into play. Sponsorship money is a direct result of fighting in the UFC. Perhaps UFC should ask for a percentage off of that revenue right? I mean fighters get % from PPV and the money UFC "invests(yes invests) to put these shows on.
If Fitch didn't fight for the UFC who would be asking him to come and give a seminar? Who? Who the f**k is Fitch at that point.

UFC chooses to make an investment. A choice, just as your line of work. You don't like what you are making do something else. Otherwise go to the bank or some rich friend and feed him a pipe dream. Take the money and start your own promotion. Everyone talks about how hard these fighters work. Yes it is the truth. However I don't know a single person who works harder then the upper management UFC.

I am not a UFC nuthugger for the record. Just so tired of hearing the babies crying about money and pay.

Can you imagine the lead software programmer telling Microsoft he wants 10 bucks every time the OS is sold. Or tell McDonalds that you want a buck off of every big mac because you cooked it, ha-ha. I swear some of you must have never worked a day in your lives.

You don't like your job? Feel undervalued? Want more? Is your job not doing it for you? What's wrong mommy wont give you an allowance anymore?? Then find another job. Otherwise shut up.

Thanks for rambling on, even though your response has nothing to do with my comment. Dana brought up Fitch's UFC pay, undisclosed UFC bonuses, etc... Let me state that again.... UFC PAY!!!!! His interview had nothing to do with sponsors. Fitch responded to those comments. I asked why Fitch would address sponsors when it had nothing to do with Dana's comments, which he was responding to. In the context of this conversation/thread, I never said anything along the lines of a fighters sponsor pay having nothing to do with which organization he fights for. Pay attention instead of trying to be a condescending douche.

Just like when someone says Adrian Peterson signed a 7 year/ $96M contract with the Vikings, it does not address anything he's making from sponsors. It's addressing his pay from the professional sport he competes in, which is what Dana brought up and Fitch responded to.

Again let me reiterate what YOU wrote and I quote,
'And why would he bring up sponsor pay, seminars, privates? What do they have to do with the UFC's pay, which again, is what Dana brought up"

Sponsor pay has everything to do with TOTAL monies earned. Through the UFC he is able to make and generate EXTRA revenue. If he fought for anyone else he would of made a quarter of what he made and he for sure wouldn't have had free clothing during his run. Does the UFC make money on half of their guys. Hell no. Total losses. I mean if your sponsor drops you then what are you really worth to your employer? This is a business not a fairytale.

If Adrian Peterson played for a bush league he wouldn't be making any sponsorship money period.

Not sure what is so hard to understand here.

One more thing. You are comparing stable long running sports to something that has been around for what 10 years. Perhaps we should look back at these leagues when they first started up. You were lucky to even play the games if you were an African American. Wonder what these super stars were making back then.

Athletes benefit from the organizations they play with period. It has always been widely known that most make more off of sponsorship then playing the game.

But like I said you don't like your job then find another one. Very simple.

These athletes are given a platform to run and work with, for free. It's up to them to push forward and garner their own interest too. Cheal, is a perfect example. It's called the IT factor. Something that team sports don't have to worry about. But we can't all be superstars now can we.
6/12/13 3:28 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch was defending himself in the respect that he wasn't being paid a ton and the UFC couldn't afford him. I kind of doubt he made a ton from sponsors with his fighting style, but the UFC's sponsor fees limit what sponsors they can get as well. Phone Post
6/12/13 3:47 PM
wicketone

Macedawgg - 

LOL at the above. 

If you had an inkling about professional sports, and I'm not trying to be rude here, you'd realize, that sport rewards talent based upon competition to determine result. 

Millions in advertising is just the cost of doing business as a promoter.  Just like the Yankees also pay advertising. 

Ok sooooo what you are saying is that Fitch was overpaid according to fighter performance than right? You all complained about this guy when he fought now everyone hangs of his nuts. He was one of the most boring fighters and no one cared when he fought.

"Millions in advertising is just the cost of doing business as a promoter. Just like the Yankees also pay advertising",

you say?

So fighter's trainers, gym fees etc are a fighters cost of doing business. Can I assume we agree on this statement?

If so then why is that brought up when discussing fighter pay. They are CONTRACTORS not employees. They should pay for all their expenses including flying to and from the fights and feeding their faces. Correct?

I don't think you get the grasp of how contractor/business owner relationship work in the real world. So I've included this for you,

"In team sports, such as football and baseball, where the player competes under the direction and control of a coach or manager, he/she is an employee. On the other hand, in individual sports competition, such as golf or tennis, where the athlete is normally free to determine his/her own style and manner of performing, he/she is an independent contractor."

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Total_and_Partial_Unemployment_TPU_4154.htm

The above should clear that up for you. Just read above if you don't get it still. Not trying to be rude either. Comparing football to UFC is like comparing apples to broccoli.
6/12/13 3:53 PM
Sergio88
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting discussions here. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 3:59 PM
wicketone

JustTheTip - 
wicketone - 
JustTheTip - 
wicketone - 
JustTheTip - 
AnakinHelwani - 

Thanks for rambling on, even though your response has nothing to do with my comment. Dana brought up Fitch's UFC pay, undisclosed UFC bonuses, etc... Let me state that again.... UFC PAY!!!!! His interview had nothing to do with sponsors. Fitch responded to those comments. I asked why Fitch would address sponsors when it had nothing to do with Dana's comments, which he was responding to. In the context of this conversation/thread, I never said anything along the lines of a fighters sponsor pay having nothing to do with which organization he fights for. Pay attention instead of trying to be a condescending douche.

Just like when someone says Adrian Peterson signed a 7 year/ $96M contract with the Vikings, it does not address anything he's making from sponsors. It's addressing his pay from the professional sport he competes in, which is what Dana brought up and Fitch responded to.

Again let me reiterate what YOU wrote and I quote,
'And why would he bring up sponsor pay, seminars, privates? What do they have to do with the UFC's pay, which again, is what Dana brought up"

Sponsor pay has everything to do with TOTAL monies earned. Through the UFC he is able to make and generate EXTRA revenue. If he fought for anyone else he would of made a quarter of what he made and he for sure wouldn't have had free clothing during his run. Does the UFC make money on half of their guys. Hell no. Total losses. I mean if your sponsor drops you then what are you really worth to your employer? This is a business not a fairytale.

If Adrian Peterson played for a bush league he wouldn't be making any sponsorship money period.

Not sure what is so hard to understand here.

One more thing. You are comparing stable long running sports to something that has been around for what 10 years. Perhaps we should look back at these leagues when they first started up. You were lucky to even play the games if you were an African American. Wonder what these super stars were making back then.

Athletes benefit from the organizations they play with period. It has always been widely known that most make more off of sponsorship then playing the game.

But like I said you don't like your job then find another one. Very simple.

These athletes are given a platform to run and work with, for free. It's up to them to push forward and garner their own interest too. Cheal, is a perfect example. It's called the IT factor. Something that team sports don't have to worry about. But we can't all be superstars now can we.

Holy shit you're a scatterbrain. While you read this, try and not get distracted by anything shiny.

I am referring to one specific topic. That is it. Nothing else. The topic is UFC pay. I'll say it again. The topic is UFC pay. I'm not talking about sponsor pay, as neither Dana nor Fitch were which is what started this whole thing. I'm not talking about civil rights and African Americans in fooball. This is not an MMA vs NFL debate. It's not regarding how established MMA is as a sport.

Dana said Fitch was cut because he was expensive. Fitch said it was a hostile work environment. Dana said it was not and brought up that they (the UFC) paid him above and beyond what was expected. Fitch responded to that interview by breaking down his UFC pay. UFC pay. The company he worked fought for. The UFC.

If I'm a scatterbrain then kind Sir you must be just scattered.

This again is what you said, "And why would he bring up sponsor pay, seminars, privates? What do they have to do with the UFC's pay, which again, is what Dana brought up?"

If you take the time and sound out each syllable you will read that I along with many other points relevant to your statement, did address your pointless statement with this,

"Now here is where the sponsors come into play. Sponsorship money is a direct result of fighting in the UFC. Perhaps UFC should ask for a percentage off of that revenue right? I mean fighters get % from PPV and the money UFC "invests(yes invests) to put these shows on.

Remember now, slowly, pronounce the words that you are seeing.

Who cares what Dana said vs Fitch. You made a statement that makes no sense no matter the subject.

6/12/13 4:29 PM
Macedawgg

wicketone - 
Macedawgg - 

LOL at the above. 

Ok sooooo what you are saying is that Fitch was overpaid according to fighter performance than right? You all complained about this guy when he fought now everyone hangs of his nuts. He was one of the most boring fighters and no one cared when he fought.

"Millions in advertising is just the cost of doing business as a promoter. Just like the Yankees also pay advertising",

you say?

So fighter's trainers, gym fees etc are a fighters cost of doing business. Can I assume we agree on this statement?

If so then why is that brought up when discussing fighter pay. They are CONTRACTORS not employees. They should pay for all their expenses including flying to and from the fights and feeding their faces. Correct?

I don't think you get the grasp of how contractor/business owner relationship work in the real world. So I've included this for you,

"In team sports, such as football and baseball, where the player competes under the direction and control of a coach or manager, he/she is an employee. On the other hand, in individual sports competition, such as golf or tennis, where the athlete is normally free to determine his/her own style and manner of performing, he/she is an independent contractor."

The above should clear that up for you. Just read above if you don't get it still. Not trying to be rude either. Comparing football to UFC is like comparing apples to broccoli.

Wow--you lost me. 

I am merely a simpleton I admit, but I'm not sure where the tracks got jumped.

I am not sure where I suggested Fitch was "overpaid" for his performance.  In fact, I'd say the exact opposite.  Fitch was grossly underpaid, based upon merit.  I also fully believe Fitch experienced hostility during his time with the UFC, and obtained the fights he did merely because no one but the very top could beat him. 

As to contractors--yes, I would agree, his expenses are his issue, just as the UFC's are theirs. 

As to whether the athletes are actually "contractors"--no, I don't agree.  A whole lotta control being exerted by Zuffa, including the who/when/where/promoter duties. 

I also firmly believe it is a gross conflict, and dangerous in combat sport, for the promoter to be the matchmaker, promoter, determiner of merit/rank, and issuer of titles.  In fact, in boxing, because of this danger and the potential for abuse and corruption, it was made flat out illegal.  

6/12/13 4:32 PM
wicketone

JustTheTip - I know this is saying a lot, but you have to be the dumbest motherfucker on this website. Apparently the whole "is what Dana brought up" is completely throwing you for a loop. It's like you're completely incapable of staying on topic or smart enough to be able to understand context. Hell, we're discussing conversations between Dana and Fitch and you're rambling on about African Americans in sports. Go get yourself some Adderall kid.

The fact that you have nothing educated to say anymore leads me to believe I stuck a nerve in that tiny little brain of yours. You made a stupid statement that I didn't agree with. So I voiced my opinion. Isn't that what this board is here for. Or perhaps I should just get along side you, with a gaping open mouth, and join in on your cock sucking tendencies.

You made a ignorant and uneducated statement. Regardless of the main topic I felt the need to educate your sorry ass from making a bigger fool of yourself.

You were the one who brought up the football example. Its plain to see that just by bringing up such a stupid comparison I should of just backed off and let you play with your snatch.

I use one argument about how these sports were in the past and it is the only ammunition you come back with, twice now. Cool stuff bro! This makes me feel a little more hopeful for you as it is definitely indicative of you maturity level.

You are truly a sorry person and its people like you who keep this site from staying on an educated and constructive level.

To bad because this could of made for some interesting thoughts and feedback. However I see now that your inclusion was the beginning of the end. I was wrong to think that someone as ignorant and as inexperienced as you could carry on a constructive conversation.

Read a book kid.
6/12/13 4:45 PM
wicketone

Macedawgg - 
wicketone - 
Macedawgg - 

LOL at the above. 

you say?

Wow--you lost me. 

I am merely a simpleton I admit, but I'm not sure where the tracks got jumped.

I am not sure where I suggested Fitch was "overpaid" for his performance.  In fact, I'd say the exact opposite.  Fitch was grossly underpaid, based upon merit.  I also fully believe Fitch experienced hostility during his time with the UFC, and obtained the fights he did merely because no one but the very top could beat him. 

As to contractors--yes, I would agree, his expenses are his issue, just as the UFC's are theirs. 

As to whether the athletes are actually "contractors"--no, I don't agree.  A whole lotta control being exerted by Zuffa, including the who/when/where/promoter duties. 

I also firmly believe it is a gross conflict, and dangerous in combat sport, for the promoter to be the matchmaker, promoter, determiner of merit/rank, and issuer of titles.  In fact, in boxing, because of this danger and the potential for abuse and corruption, it was made flat out illegal.  

Hahaha. Sorry I'll slow it down a bit. j/k

Here's how I see it,

Here's what you wrote

"If you had an inkling about professional sports, and I'm not trying to be rude here, you'd realize, that sport rewards talent based upon competition to determine result."

So what I am trying to say, based on your comment, I believe Fitch was paid way too much money. If sports reward performance than Fitch was lucky to make anything. Fitch was boring and brutal to watch. There was nothing in his performances that made anyone money. This is a business guys not a charity.

I think Cabbage back in the day should of been paid more money than Fitch if you want to base fighter pay on performance or merit.

You stated,

"I also firmly believe it is a gross conflict, and dangerous in combat sport, for the promoter to be the matchmaker, promoter, determiner of merit/rank, and issuer of titles. In fact, in boxing, because of this danger and the potential for abuse and corruption, it was made flat out illegal."

This friend we can definitely both agree on. I agree 100%.

And I disagree. You are far more intelligent than at least one gumba on here haha j/k
6/12/13 4:53 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Sponsor pay is irrelevant when speaking about what the ufc pays. Phone Post
6/12/13 4:55 PM
Macedawgg

LOL.

Good stuff wicketone. 

In sport, performance is measured by the result of competition--not the style or flair in which it is performed.  Will some athletes be more charasmatic or crowd pleasing than others?  Of course--and they will obtain greater opportunity because of this. 

However, PBF isn't by any means a dynamic performer in a great number of his fights and people still pay to watch--in droves.  Excellence can be sold regardless of style.

"I also firmly believe it is a gross conflict, and dangerous in combat sport, for the promoter to be the matchmaker, promoter, determiner of merit/rank, and issuer of titles. In fact, in boxing, because of this danger and the potential for abuse and corruption, it was made flat out illegal."

This friend we can definitely both agree on. I agree 100%. 

Excellent.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.