UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barry: Steroids not a factor

6/12/13 5:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Almost a year ago Pat Barry lost a fight to Lavar Johnson, getting TKOd in the first round. Two fights later, Johnson would test positive for elevated levels of testerone. It's undetermined whether or not Johnson ha the same advantage in his fight with Barry, but according to Barry himself it doesn't matter and didn't factor into the fight:

"I'm not saying everyone should or they shouldn't (use steroids). I don't. Red Bull – that's about it for me."

But doesn't irk Barry, who's fought 10 times in the UFC but never put together back-to-back wins, to think opponents are getting an unfair advantage? In a sport in which winning can be the difference between millions of dollars and the unemployment line, don't you want to know there's a level playing field?

At least with Johnson, Barry said he's not concerned about it.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "It doesn't matter if you have skyrocketing levels of anything. It doesn't matter. I don't take that as a factor. Lavar beat me. Lavar Johnson is the man. He's cool as a mug. I've been talking to him regularly, and hopefully we'll be able train one day.

" … He beat me that day. That had nothing to do with any elevated levels of nothing. He beat me. He punched me in the head, and it was over. That's it. Lavar's the man. He deserved that win. He earned that win. He outfought me that day."

read entire article...

6/12/13 5:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ABE FROMAN
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humble, good dude.

6/12/13 5:09 PM
NomoRomophobia
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Pat Barry. Phone Post 3.0
Malvert the Janitor
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -

Humble, good dude.

Perhaps too humble.... Phone Post 3.0
creepymcfinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 5:11 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Bat Perry is awesome!! Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 5:24 PM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely disagree but I respect you more for being a man about it, Pat.
6/12/13 5:31 PM
JerodR
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/13 5:31 PM
beer toast photo: To you. beer_toast1.jpg

Right, or wrong about a possible steroid advantage this is why Pat Berry is awesome. He gives no excuses, no BS...nothing. Just straight up accepts what happened and owns it. You are the man Pat! Can't wait until your next fight.
6/12/13 5:39 PM
BshMstr
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - I absolutely disagree but I respect you more for being a man about it, Pat.

Ditto.

Barry's a tough cat who just doesn't make excuses....
6/12/13 5:49 PM
MattyECB
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always been a huge fan of Barry's and comments like this just cement it.

Leave it to the fans, the organization and the ACs/WADA type orgs handle the crucifixion and shunning. You just keep worrying about winning, and at the end of the day, even though I'm sure it gave him an edge, it doesn't mean that's what let him win.

Between the injuries fighters go into, the differences in training camps, locations...etc, it's just another factor to put into the mix. It's bullshit imo because it's an edge, but as a fighter, I think this is the best attitude to foster, especially for a fight that long ago.

Don't burn bridges, don't make excuses and keep the chin up Barry. You're always a boss, and with the fucked up amount of fans you have, my mind will be blown if you can't parlay your career into some cushy job after -- regardless of the direction it takes in coming years!
6/12/13 5:51 PM
MattyECB
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

circa305 - Disagree.

Steroids give you more knock out power. Along with the drive to train and prepare harder.

Ya I don't necessarily agree, but I do love this type of response. So refreshing when you consider the amount certain fighters whine about -- even when it isn't a legitimate gripe like Barry's
6/12/13 6:12 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barry is great. Pat vs Hunt needs to happen before too late. Would be an awesome fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 6:53 PM
HYPEorDIE
605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

circa305 - Disagree.

Steroids give you more knock out power. Along with the drive to train and prepare harder.
All I was saying was that its not a factor
"to me".
I'm sure it has its advantages, but I don't give a shit. I feel I can still compete against someone who's on it. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 7:12 PM
youarewhatiswrong
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some Pat Barry
6/12/13 7:29 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HYPEorDIE -
circa305 - Disagree.

"to me".
I'm sure it has its advantages, but I don't give a shit. I feel I can still compete against someone who's on it. Phone Post 3.0
You're a bad, Pat. Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 7:29 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
HYPEorDIE -
circa305 - Disagree.

"to me".
You're a bad, Pat. Phone Post 3.0
Bad ass* Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 7:35 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Malvert the Janitor -
ABE FROMAN -

Humble, good dude.

Perhaps too humble.... Phone Post 3.0
This was my original though, as well. But I like Pat too much to stay with that opinion. Phone Post
6/12/13 8:29 PM
cecils_pupils

Much respect Pat. I have enjoyed watching you fight since you joined the UFC. You proved Cecil Peoples wrong when he said leg kicks don't stop fights.

I know you are being respectful to Lavar, and I'm sure he is as cool of a dude as you are Pat, but I would hate to see you get bounced from the UFC because the fighters you go against don't keep the playing field level as you do, resulting in losses that u rightfully may have won if your opponent didn't have an unfair advantage.

Good luck on Saturday, and may the force be with you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.