UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Gustafson won't be my toughest test

6/14/13 11:36 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Yesterday the UFC formally announced that Jon Jones would defend his UFC lightheavyweight title against Alexander Gustafson in September. MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani caught up with Jones yesterday to get his first comments on the fight:

After Lyoto Machida beat Dan Henderson in February, he was told he would be next to fight you, so why are you fighting Gustafsson instead?

I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call.

Didn't you tell the UFC that Gustafsson presented a new challenge for you since you beat Machida at UFC 140?

Yeah, that definitely happened. I beat Lyoto already. Ultimately, it was Dana's decision to match me up with Gustafsson and not Machida, but I did mention to Dana that I had already defeated Lyoto, and the UFC 140 pay-per-view numbers were pretty terrible. If you have a perfectly healthy, young contender who is on a rampage, why not keep new opponents, new excitement for the fans?

You wrote on Twitter that you think this will be your toughest fight. Why?

I don't think he will be my toughest fight, but I need to have that psychology. I realize that he is a young man who is close to realizing a dream. You know, a lot of the guys I have fought have already had title shots before, but this is his very first title shot. I'm sure he's going to be extremely motivated.

read entire article...

6/14/13 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Woodford Mike
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think this is a compelling matchup because of Gustaffson's size and reach. It's clearly not the equal of Jones, but it's something he hasn't really had to deal with yet and I'm interested to see how he handles it. Phone Post 3.0
6/14/13 4:09 PM
buckshot44
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to believe that Gustaffson will beat Jones.  I really want to believe.

6/14/13 4:18 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buckshot44 - 

I want to believe that Gustaffson will beat Jones.  I really want to believe.

I heard there was this great bridge that just went up for sale! Can I PM you a quote?
6/14/13 4:43 PM
brune90

wonder what the ufc 140 numbers were...that was a great night of fights. The champ weathers the storm and chokes the challenger unconcious, Mir snaps Nogs arm (painful to watch as I am a fan)and Tito got spanked by little nog
6/14/13 5:49 PM
HandyDarsh
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brune90 - wonder what the ufc 140 numbers were...that was a great night of fights. The champ weathers the storm and chokes the challenger unconcious, Mir snaps Nogs arm (painful to watch as I am a fan)and Tito got spanked by little nog
Lots of brutal beat downs on the card Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 6:07 AM
Carl Sonnen

"I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call.

Didn't you tell the UFC that Gustafsson presented a new challenge for you since you beat Machida at UFC 140?"

lol

"You wrote on Twitter that you think this will be your toughest fight. Why?

I don't think he will be my toughest fight..."

Hmm, I think I see a pattern emerging.
6/15/13 6:32 AM
Kalle Mero

Woodford Mike - I actually think this is a compelling matchup because of Gustaffson's size and reach. It's clearly not the equal of Jones, but it's something he hasn't really had to deal with yet and I'm interested to see how he handles it. Phone Post 3.0

Gustafssons reach is nothing special, 76.5 in.
6/15/13 6:47 AM
Bobby Lupo
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is not competitive matchmaking. Jones will thrash him worse than he did any of his challenger. This kid has no wrestling. It's going to be bloody and brutal highlight material
6/15/13 6:54 AM
Phisher

Edited: 06/15/13 6:54 AM
Kalle Mero - 
Woodford Mike - I actually think this is a compelling matchup because of Gustaffson's size and reach. It's clearly not the equal of Jones, but it's something he hasn't really had to deal with yet and I'm interested to see how he handles it. Phone Post 3.0

Gustafssons reach is nothing special, 76.5 in.

Wingspan =/= actual arm length.

Gustafsson's "reach" is supposedly only two and a half inches longer than Fedor's. Does it look like his arms are only an inch and a quarter longer than Fedor's?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.