UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Burkman vs Fitch

6/15/13 6:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ECC170
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/15/13 6:48 AM
MMArijuana - LOL The former WEC commentator saying Mazagatti is one of the best. No wonder you didn't keep that dude around. Name escapes me but just lol.

Todd Harris maybe LOL He couldn't even be insightful Commentating WORLD STRONGEST MAN hes def a BLOBBBBB
6/15/13 7:31 AM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO

So i just saw the fight and wow it was bad. Even after fitch is on the floor unconscious , Mazagatti is just looking down at him thinking huh? Then, i know.. I better stop the fight! fucking idiot. 

6/15/13 7:35 AM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Lurk - I strongly disagree with the negative statements about Mazzagatti I am seeing in this thread. Anyone who saw Jon Fitch vs Johnny Hendricks saw how easily Mazz was taken down by Fitch. After training with Brendan Schaub, he easily shut down Fitch in this fight. Looks like a moral victory to me.

with logic like this, no one can defend.

6/15/13 7:46 AM
Stea1th

Fitch was definitely to expensive to keep. Imagine paying him 100k for losing again.

Good move Dana Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 7:50 AM
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This could have ended really ugly for MMA

6/15/13 7:57 AM
dannyapodaca
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why dont you get in there and ref during tuf if you are so smart bigmouth. Phone Post
6/15/13 7:58 AM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was mazzagatti hanging out with filho before the fight? wtf was he looking at
6/15/13 8:05 AM
Damasta Shonuff
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - guys

dana white said something so i have to parrot it like a good little fanboy!!

douches.

guys

im 15 years old and have to rebel against everything so i look cool

douche
6/15/13 8:19 AM
WestCoastKid

With much respect to you DFW, I strongly disagree with your statements about Maz. I know you don't like him as a ref, but no one is going to die in the cage from a 1-4 (max) second delay of being outcold from a choke.

Please give a reputable specific example of life threatening injuries or even a death caused from this exact submission in an REGULATED/SANCTIONED MMA event. That's why there are doctors on hand as well as ambulance services in order to keep these fighters safe. These claims are just exaggerated and above forum poster X9UV said it best. If Maz was on the other side he wouldn't be in position to see his face or the choke. Fitch didn't tap and Maz reacted when Fitch went out and Burkman released it. People get choked out all the time in grappling competitions and I've never heard of one death caused from a 1-4 second delay from a choke in a regulated grappling event like GQ, NAGA, ADCC or IBJJF.

Even your favorite ref, Herb Dean has screwed up as a ref or had early/late stoppages, especially back in the WEC days or in some of his KOTC fights. Why aren't you as hard on Herb or seem to overlook his mistakes or even Big John's? Herbs mistakes are out there too if you choose to "pay attention" to them or put them under a microscope.

It is very unfair/hypocritical how you come down so hard on Maz but have never reffed one fight let alone fought MMA. Maz has been reffing for like 20 years and no one has ever died under his watch. Plus isn't he an EMT and a firemen for his career? Why would he ever want to cause harm on a fighter on purpose?

DFW...thank you for what you have done for the sport and I respect you for 99.99% of the things you do and have done but I believe that you ride Maz way too hard when everyone knows how hard it is to be a referee in this sport and EVERY ref has made or will make mistakes. As long as humans are reffing then the margin of error is always going to be there. Maz has reffed thousands of fights and 99% of them have little to no controversy so why do you choose to dwell on the negative and the 1% when no deaths or serious life threatening injuries have occurred during that 1%?

6/15/13 8:23 AM
FightToLive
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a great finish although I have seen better fights at the bar!
Uncle Dana Get's the last laugh!
6/15/13 8:28 AM
Morgz
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike_in_CA - Mazzagati should have been on the mat next to them doing the little "arm jiggle" thing. Phone Post
Voted up.

Maz was in a poor position to see what was going on with Jon. However, looking at the replay, I'm not sure there was anywhere he could stand and get a good angle with Fitch being face down. Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 8:31 AM
Fastedz

It happened so fast the ref had no chance of stopping that. Phone Post
6/15/13 8:33 AM
ColefistbumpedmyBuffer

I always used to read on here how Burkman was supposed to be this giant dbag and everything.. Seems like the opposite to me. Phone Post
6/15/13 8:43 AM
WestCoastKid

If someone is in the process of being choked IN AN AWKWARD OR UNUSUAL position and has known great sub defense like Fitch why would a ref pull on the arm when the person who is being choked needs two hands to defend the choke? Pulling on the arm is usually only seemingly successful in some but not all positions (like face down positions). Sometimes it would be effective I would assume but other times a fighter may be trying to defend the choke and need that second arm or hand to defend. As the video shows, Fitch looked like he was trying to posture up and post with his left hand leaving only his right hand left to defend the choke. Burkman did a great job and finished it faster than Fitch anticipated. Still not sure why this stoppage is causing controversy? Fitch didn't even appear to spasm or stagger and seemed coherent after coming to and even was interviewed by the announcer about a possible rubber match.
6/15/13 8:47 AM
DNAsmoothie
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well done Josh!! Not only submitting John Fitch but chocking him the f*#k out Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 8:48 AM
RJJH
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - guys

dana white said something so i have to parrot it like a good little fanboy!!

douches.

this.

6/15/13 8:49 AM
Jack Skellington
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mazzagatti is gonna get somebody seriously injured or killed someday

6/15/13 8:49 AM
RJJH
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana must have been going bananas when BJ Penn held the choke on Jens for 5x that length. or even Jones on Machida. oh wait, no he didnt.

6/15/13 8:55 AM
atma
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see how bad it is. Fitch is moving his arm, 1-2 seconds later he goes limp and burkman lets him go. But I agree that mazzagati was clueless. Phone Post
6/15/13 8:59 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1775 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanGold -
dfw jr -  Thank god Josh is class and stopped because that fucking idiot Mazzagatti had NO CLUE what was going on. Much respect Josh Phone Post

Sign him up, big man.
He's probably locked into a 14 fight contract Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 9:01 AM
WestCoastKid

Edited: 06/15/13 9:05 AM
Jack Skellington:

You say "someday" but really after almost 20 years of being a ref of MMA and Muay Thai it hasn't happened yet? In fact, being an EMT and a fireman also for quite awhile, I'm sure Maz has actually saved or helped a bunch of people don't you think?

Maz is not really as bad of a ref as ppl say he is
6/15/13 9:12 AM
dabigchet

Mazz out, big John in in Nevada fixes this. Do the right thing Keith Kizer! Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 9:18 AM
Pittshady
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

x9uv - the fuck are you all moaning about?

fitch didnt tap. he was posted up, then he went limp, and less than a second later burkman let go and rolled him over. no one is going to stop that from there unless either:
- the fighter taps
- the fighter goes out/limp

fitch went limp and immediately burkman let go. exactly when was mazzagati supposed to stop it?

whole lot of bandwagoning going on.
This Phone Post 3.0
6/15/13 9:30 AM
Kerouac

krislovestheseacocks - 
Kerouac - 
And Wagners Cut - 
Kerouac - So yeh, not sure what the fuck you guys are outraged about.
Really? How about the fact that Mazagatti was stood on the wrong side about 6 foot from the action.

Him being stood there meant he never did or never would have seen Fitch go limp. Phone Post 3.0

Maybes are hard to go on, but I get your point. He seemed laissez-faireish.

Still though, Josh let go, Fitch was out, fight over...no damage.

Think about all the one hit knockouts that are followed up with at least one punch...should all the refs that don't swandive between both fighters be scrutinized the same way?

Quite a few wagoners here.

Yes, because a ref getting beat to the spot by punches is equatable to literally not comprehending what's happening in front of you. Mazz didn't even swoop in to investigate Fitch's condition/status, because he had no idea what the fuck was unfolding in front of him.

If you don't think this is cause for concern, and believe anyone who does is a "wagoner," you possess a special kind of stupid.

lol @ cause for concern

About 1 second after Fitch stopped moving, Josh released the hold.
There's no ref in the business, even if he/she was on the right side to see the action, that would have had time to tell Josh to let go of the hold faster than he let it go himself.

I said he was laissez-faire about it, that's as far as I'll go with the dramatics...i'll leave you dramaqueens to bring in the shrill.
6/15/13 9:39 AM
Lobo8

How the hell is mazagatti still employed!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.