UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Woodley: '100%' believes he won

6/17/13 12:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Although the bout between Jake Shields and Tyron Woodley at UFC 161 was rather uneventful, if it still the job of the judges to pick the correct winner. Most watching, including UFC President Dana White, thought that Woodley had done enough to win, but the judges saw it the other way for Jake Shields. Sherdog.com posted a video interview with Woodley and got his opinion on the fight:

“I said he wasn’t going to take me down and I meant that. He tried 18 times; he got zero takedowns. From a statistics standpoint I was pretty overwhelmed with the fact that I was 64% on punching, I kicked him and dropped him to the ground twice, and I spinning back fisted him and he got zero takedowns. For me, I would have liked to throw more punches.”

“Do I believe I won the fight? 100%, but as a person that’s been petitioning and hunting down a world title,  that type of performance for myself, I have to be able to let it go no matter if it’s Jake Shields or who it is. I made him miss so many punches; I just want to watch the video again, he missed almost 80% of his punches.”

transcribed by MMAFrenzy.com... 

6/17/13 1:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, you have to do something offensive in order to win a fight.

6/17/13 1:07 PM
dogfb
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 

Yup.

6/17/13 1:09 PM
TheEssence
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fans lost Phone Post
6/17/13 1:11 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A couple kidney shots =/= youwinning. 

6/17/13 1:14 PM
Russ
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty much agree with everyone here and i wanted Woodley to win
6/17/13 1:15 PM
JStrongMMA
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You were pinned against the cage and you couldn't reverse the position or break the clinch for the entire fight. You also got outstruck. How did you win that fight? Phone Post
6/17/13 1:22 PM
dubate
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True, he did stop Shields from taking him down but he never managed to throw a reverse to get off the cage and start with that striking he seems so proud of. So all that was left was Shields pushing him up against the cage with both of them landing the same amount of strikes. The fact that Shields won on aggression says a lot about how much offense Tyron threw out there during the fight. Phone Post
6/17/13 1:22 PM
boxing wiz
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were it a takedowns wrestling drill, I would say Tyron was the winner. But it's MMA. The fight was absolutely dreadful to watch. If anything they both deserve losses on their record. There was once a boxing match between Merqui Sosa and Prince Charles Williams where the referee stopped the fight because both fighters had receives too much punishment. This bout was similar buy the exact opposite. It should have been stopped because neither fighter shown the desire to fight. Jake has accomplished a lot in this sport, and Woodley has as much potential as anyone who has fought. I honestly couldn't care if either fighter ever fought again.
6/17/13 1:47 PM
ChinoV
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JStrongMMA -  You were pinned against the cage and you couldn't reverse the position or break the clinch for the entire fight. You also got outstruck. How did you win that fight? Phone Post

I was surprised that the fight was even a split decision, Woodley was flat and playing defense the whole time. The fight was lame, I was happy that it wasn't on the main card.
6/17/13 2:12 PM
bruised
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think Woodley won that fight. If you watch the fight, Woodley unquestionably did more damage. Jake's knees were comical, watch the fight and you'll see what I mean.

In general, everyone lost that fight. However, damage wise, I would rather be Tyrone after that fight than Jake. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 2:30 PM
JStrongMMA
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChinoV -
JStrongMMA -  You were pinned against the cage and you couldn't reverse the position or break the clinch for the entire fight. You also got outstruck. How did you win that fight? Phone Post

I was surprised that the fight was even a split decision, Woodley was flat and playing defense the whole time. The fight was lame, I was happy that it wasn't on the main card.
It was a Jake Shields fight. He is good at making his opponents look bad. It's not pretty and not particularly entertaining but it's effective and he wins fights. Phone Post
6/17/13 2:31 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 

Same goes for Hendo. Not sure what they're complaining about, both guys didnt do much and werent pursuing it much either.
6/17/13 2:36 PM
Delorian
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Tyron, and Jake Shields out struck you. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 2:42 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I agree with everybody else in the thread, Jake clearly won. Phone Post
6/17/13 2:57 PM
Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

woodley won that fight ,even the owner of the UFC said so.

Hendo which I was going for, lost that fight, by being outstruck even though he nearly ended the fight by tko in the first, Rashad was able to recover and won that by outstriking. Boring ass main event though.
6/17/13 2:58 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Tyron won every round, even the second. First and third were obvious IMO. Tyron should have been more active but he did way more damage. He landed a few big rights in the first two rounds that I think people are forgetting about. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 4:03 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

willienugget -
bruised - I actually think Woodley won that fight. If you watch the fight, Woodley unquestionably did more damage. Jake's knees were comical, watch the fight and you'll see what I mean.

In general, everyone lost that fight. However, damage wise, I would rather be Tyrone after that fight than Jake. Phone Post 3.0

It looked like Woodley was swinging harder. Is that what you mean by damage? Neither fighter looked particularly damaged to me and nothing Tyron did seemed to slow Jake down either. Not a knock on you I just often wonder what damage really supposed to mean. I see GSP's face fucked up every fight but I don't really think of that as damage.

I guess I don't really think either man did any significant damage.
Jake's ribs looked pretty beat up, and he was obviously rocked by that spinning backfist in the third. I thought he looked hurt after a couple of the right hands Tyron landed. A few of the punches Tyron landed are being forgotten I think, probably because a couple landed which we could only watch from bad camera angles.

The fight was not good, and Tyron is better than he fought that night. I truly believe if everyone goes back and watches that fight (I know I won't be able to convince anyone to do that) and scores it objectively they will agree that Tyron earned the decision. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 4:25 PM
Arachnoid

Jake didn't outstrike anybody. He may have out-exercised Woodley. Those knees he was throwing were nothing more than him picking up his leg and hissing. Not a single one of his "strikes" had any bad intentions on them.

Woodley won the fight, plain and simple.
6/17/13 4:41 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it even worth us debating such a shitty fight? Win or lose, it did nothing for either fighter. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 4:49 PM
JStrongMMA

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - woodley won that fight ,even the owner of the UFC said so.

Hendo which I was going for, lost that fight, by being outstruck even though he nearly ended the fight by tko in the first, Rashad was able to recover and won that by outstriking. Boring ass main event though.
Well...if DFW says so it must be true. After all, he doesn't have a history of favoring fighters or being completely full of shit. Phone Post
6/17/13 5:17 PM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - woodley won that fight ,even the owner of the UFC said so.

"Even the owner of the UFC said so."

It's not the first time Dana talked nonsense.

Shields pushed the pace and landed more shots. Woodley did nothing against him. He didn't explode at all.

Shields outstriked Woodley.
6/17/13 5:30 PM
minotauro11

MisterMr -
Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - woodley won that fight ,even the owner of the UFC said so.

Shields pushed the pace and landed more shots. Woodley did nothing against him. He didn't explode at all.

No he didn't. Shields didn't accomplish anything at all with his striking. Tyron shouldn't have relied so much on his right hand but the few times it landed were much, much more effective than everything Jake did. Additionally the leg and body kicks that Tyron landed were powerful and flush. Shields' did nothing but sway the opinion of the judges with those excuses of kicks and knees he threw.

Another thing people are forgetting is that what Shields did in the clinch was stall. That's it. That shouldn't be rewarded, it should be penalized. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 7:43 PM
AndyMain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - 
MisterMr -

No he didn't. Shields didn't accomplish anything at all with his striking. Tyron shouldn't have relied so much on his right hand but the few times it landed were much, much more effective than everything Jake did. Additionally the leg and body kicks that Tyron landed were powerful and flush. Shields' did nothing but sway the opinion of the judges with those excuses of kicks and knees he threw.

Another thing people are forgetting is that what Shields did in the clinch was stall. That's it. That shouldn't be rewarded, it should be penalized. Phone Post 3.0

Woodly shouldn't have got even one round. In 15 minutes he landed 2 good leg kicks, 5 good body shots from the clinch, and 1 spinning back fist.

Jake was attacking the entire time. His strikes did much less damage but he threw 5 times as much. Didn't you see the compustrike? Woodly was not offensive at all. He let Jake dictate the pace. He made no inclination that he wanted to win. You don't win with defense. He may have defended 18 takedowns but that means Jake went on the offensive 18 times and Woodly went on the defense 18 times. A fighter that is defending 18 times and not on the offense at all is a losing fighter. 

And honestly the argument about damage is moot. Neither fighter did significant damage. The kicks that dropped Jake were well timed to when he was on one foot so he fell. They werent hard and didn't do damage. The spinning backfist landed nice but Jake didn't skip a beat.

Fact of the matter is the whole fight was developed around the fact that Woodly didn't want to go to the ground with Jake. He wouldn't open up on his feet because he didn't want to risk getting taken down. He didn't try to take Jake down. 

Also Jake tried to work, Woodly was just defending. Sometimes it's harder to attack a fighter that won't open up than it is to attack a fighter that does.

Garbage fight, but Woodly is definately more at fault and 100% deserved to lose.

6/17/13 8:19 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Delorian - No Tyron, and Jake Shields out struck you. Phone Post 3.0
Ohh yea, those knees to the arm when Jake was cuddling him up against the fence were DEVASTATING!

To say anybody won this fight is ludicrous. There was a poster here that said something I agreed with but his SN escapes me, to paraphrase: "This fight should have been Unanimous Decision loss for both fighters". Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.