UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Remember Prince Naseem Hamed?

6/17/13 3:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
supremexb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing wiz - The guy was much better than most people think. I always here what a clown he was, and how he was all hype. The guy was a flat out monstrous puncher. He was very fast and unorthodox. He also had heart. He had some wars with Augie Sanchez, Kevin Kelly and even Daniel Alicea somewhat. He beat very good fighters too in Tom Johnson, Wilfredo Vazquez, Paul Ingle, Cesar Soto, Manuel Medina, Wayne McCullogh and Vuyani Bungu. He made millions and millions of dollars. He lost against an all time great in Marco Antonio Barrera; no shame there. After the loss, he seemed to lose his desire to fight. He retired very rich and with a much respected career to remember. For the record I absolutely hated the guy, but can respect his accomplishments.

His biggest win was Kevin Kelly who was past his prime and never that great to begin with. He had power and an awkward style but was more hype than substance which Barrera proved.
6/17/13 3:58 PM
supremexb

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - 
supremexb - He wasn't as good as everyone remembers he was just flashy, Barrera was the first top fighter he every fought and he got clowned.

you must not know a lot about boxing, wiki his fight record and that's fuckin impressive.

I dont need to wiki his fight record he had one loss to Barrera the only elite fighter he every fought and was embarrassed and was never heard from again.
6/17/13 4:01 PM
me101
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightermindset.com, Owner

Could have been GOAT but his ego beat him, remember watching a doc on the Barrera fight and he was refusing to train as believed he was above it...... A trained Naz would have taken that fight but he'd become delusional. 

There's never been a move exciting boxer to watch at that weight class, massive KO power and would scrap so lots of situations where he got caught then had to come back. 

6/17/13 4:04 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/17/13 4:04 PM
Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Truth me101, it's CRAZY how sometimes, our own worst enemy is just OURSELVES!!!
6/17/13 4:09 PM
toddiejasl
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Checking out his record on wiki, he beat 7 or 8 men who at one point held a world title belt...
6/17/13 4:09 PM
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYoMommaCloset - 
U4EA - Can't be bothered getting into a discussion, but I recommend EVERYONE (whether you like him or not) read 'Shadows of Boxing: Prince Naseem and Those He Left Behind'. It's written by the head of psychology at Manchester University - who knew Hamed personally - and spells out in the book that he believed Hamed was a psychopath.

Can you go into more detail?

I would suggest you read it. It's very well written.

The guy gets involved in Hamed's world of doormen, nightclubs etc. He talks about Hamed and his body language when he is talking about his KOs etc and points out that other things would cause him to show the same signs, such as a time he and Hamed watched CCTV footage of someone getting stabbed in one of the clubs they used to go to. IIRC (it's been a long time since I read it), he says that Hamed would get aroused while watching his KOs or talking about them and would then start rubbing his ear in a certain way and he did the same thing when he would see footage of stabbings.

He basically spells out he believed he was a psychopath but he clearly couldn't say it directly because of legal reprisal.
6/17/13 4:11 PM
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shadows-Boxing-Prince-Naseem/dp/0752849794
6/17/13 4:12 PM
me101
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - Truth me101, it's CRAZY how sometimes, our own worst enemy is just OURSELVES!!!

lol certainly agree check out my job :)

6/17/13 4:12 PM
exar kun
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes
6/17/13 4:13 PM
supremexb

Tebow Worships Satan - 
supremexb - His biggest win was Kevin Kelly who was past his prime and never that great to begin with. He had power and an awkward style but was more hype than substance which Barrera proved.

I don't agree, I feel Hamed was too much of a headcase to tap into his own real potential. He never listened to his trainers and after he got the fame and success he wanted he didn't want to box anymore and it showed. Barrera was at the right place right time to expose him but that doesn't mean Hamed is a hype job. It just means he's a mental midget which he is.

Someone one would've caught him eventually they way he jumped in. Anyone who watched boxing then knew it was just a matter of time. Barrera clowned him stop trying to discredit him. He had absolutely nothing for Barrera.
6/17/13 4:16 PM
Bjacks12
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy and I were just talking about him Saturday. I loved to watch his fights. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 4:29 PM
The farm
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I read somewhere before the reason he retired wasn't a matter of his heart not being into it but his hands couldn't handle taking the punishment and would always be in pain. Anybody verify if this is true or know what im referring to?
6/17/13 4:33 PM
me101

I'd forgotten how OTT his antics were early in his career, interesting highlight.

Obviously pretty crazy to start with, not only when he fought Barrera whilst refusing to train..... 

6/17/13 4:56 PM
bhealthy

like Phael kardashian, he understood what entertainment sports are about. (except he was talented, and fun to watch)

but both of them realised that in show business you make people love you or you make people hate you, THEN and only then will you get paid.

either way, i hope he stashed away some loot
6/17/13 5:00 PM
PrettyBoy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone have the buildup commercial before his USA debut for the Kevin Kelly fight? Where it's like someone screaming in the streets that a Prince is coming. And he is walking through New York City?

That was awesome but I can't find it anywhere. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 5:02 PM
Periodik

Tebow Worships Satan - 
supremexb - Someone one would've caught him eventually they way he jumped in. Anyone who watched boxing then knew it was just a matter of time. Barrera clowned him stop trying to discredit him. He had absolutely nothing for Barrera.

I'm not trying to discredit Barrera and yes you're right most boxing fans at the time knew it was just a matter of time but mostly because of Hamed not being into the sport anymore. He certainly wasn't past his prime, but his head wasn't in the game anymore.

I'm not saying Barrera wouldn't have beaten him at any time because I 100% feel he would but he got Naz at the perfect time and embarrassed the hell out of him. If the fight took place in 1998 after Hamed's win over Kelley and Barrera making a come back from the JJ loses I feel it would of been much more competitive.

There was a few fantastic fighters in that weight division. Morales, Barrera, Hamed, etc. This was indeed Naseem's first pound for pound test and he failed every round. He was in his prime, still had all his speed and all his power.

This was a guy who's ego inflated like a balloon with every win. All it took was one sharp needle like MAB to pop it and it deflated quickly.
6/17/13 5:12 PM
BigTedBear
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just remember him as an entertaining boxer who constantly mocked opponent's and was the guy you always wanted to see get KTFO a cocky little bastard but talented. Phone Post
6/17/13 5:19 PM
Viking Descent
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember watching him growing up. So exciting to watch and probably exactly what boxing needs right now.

VU to the OP for creating this thread. Watching the old footage now a bit older I can appreciate his footwork, upper body and head movement that little bit more. Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 5:22 PM
Blue Flame Special
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - Does anyone have the buildup commercial before his USA debut for the Kevin Kelly fight? Where it's like someone screaming in the streets that a Prince is coming. And he is walking through New York City?

That was awesome but I can't find it anywhere. Phone Post 3.0

The promo and everything else about that fight was awesome.

What was it, like 7 knockdowns in total? Hamed's power cannot be denied and was definitely the difference that night.

I was probably 14 or 15 when that one happened. It was a great moment for UK boxing. We knew how good Nas was, but I don't think America expected it to go down at all like that.
6/17/13 5:43 PM
Tomato Can
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hamed was legit, but also a mental case. Losing to Barrera did pretty much wreck him and end his career, but to say Barrera was the first top featherweight he fought is revisionist history bullshit. His list of wins is pretty awesome:

Steve Robinson
Manuel Medina
Tom Johnson
Billy Hardy
Kevin Kelley
Wilfredo Vazquez
Wayne McCullough
Paul Ingle
Cesar Soto
Vuyani Bungu
Augie Sanchez
6/17/13 5:54 PM
supremexb

Tomato Can - Hamed was legit, but also a mental case. Losing to Barrera did pretty much wreck him and end his career, but to say Barrera was the first top featherweight he fought is revisionist history bullshit. His list of wins is pretty awesome:

Steve Robinson
Manuel Medina
Tom Johnson
Billy Hardy
Kevin Kelley
Wilfredo Vazquez
Wayne McCullough
Paul Ingle
Cesar Soto
Vuyani Bungu
Augie Sanchez

none of those guys were elite fighters.
6/17/13 6:03 PM
bhealthy

he was not just flash. most other boxers could not time his movement. what he did was keep opponents off-rythm while mounting an offense that depended on people making mistakes trying to adjust to his moving in a way none of thier sparring partners did. barerra was patient and was in rhythm that night. his performance was brilliant and should be studied. but he probably would have lost a rematch.
6/17/13 6:06 PM
Tomato Can
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Elite" semantics aside, Barrera and Morales were really the only guys from that era with a better list of wins, and even they got most of their legendary status after Hamed retired. Even Juan Manuel Marquez was a pretty big underachiever until 5-6 years ago.
6/17/13 6:41 PM
KZTT_W85
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, he's large now Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.