UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Remember Prince Naseem Hamed?

6/17/13 5:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tomato Can
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hamed was legit, but also a mental case. Losing to Barrera did pretty much wreck him and end his career, but to say Barrera was the first top featherweight he fought is revisionist history bullshit. His list of wins is pretty awesome:

Steve Robinson
Manuel Medina
Tom Johnson
Billy Hardy
Kevin Kelley
Wilfredo Vazquez
Wayne McCullough
Paul Ingle
Cesar Soto
Vuyani Bungu
Augie Sanchez
6/17/13 5:54 PM
supremexb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Hamed was legit, but also a mental case. Losing to Barrera did pretty much wreck him and end his career, but to say Barrera was the first top featherweight he fought is revisionist history bullshit. His list of wins is pretty awesome:

Steve Robinson
Manuel Medina
Tom Johnson
Billy Hardy
Kevin Kelley
Wilfredo Vazquez
Wayne McCullough
Paul Ingle
Cesar Soto
Vuyani Bungu
Augie Sanchez

none of those guys were elite fighters.
6/17/13 6:03 PM
bhealthy

he was not just flash. most other boxers could not time his movement. what he did was keep opponents off-rythm while mounting an offense that depended on people making mistakes trying to adjust to his moving in a way none of thier sparring partners did. barerra was patient and was in rhythm that night. his performance was brilliant and should be studied. but he probably would have lost a rematch.
6/17/13 6:06 PM
Tomato Can
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Elite" semantics aside, Barrera and Morales were really the only guys from that era with a better list of wins, and even they got most of their legendary status after Hamed retired. Even Juan Manuel Marquez was a pretty big underachiever until 5-6 years ago.
6/17/13 6:41 PM
KZTT_W85
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, he's large now Phone Post
6/17/13 7:13 PM
FightFanUK
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who is he thinking of making a comeback against?  is it Roy Nelson in a burger eating contest.

6/17/13 7:19 PM
E55 Pilot
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fusk him and his brother Riath. And yes, MAB clowned him into retirement. The guys was NOT better than people think. He made a living on beating fighters on the downside of their careers.
6/17/13 7:22 PM
boxing wiz
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supremexb - 
Tomato Can - Hamed was legit, but also a mental case. Losing to Barrera did pretty much wreck him and end his career, but to say Barrera was the first top featherweight he fought is revisionist history bullshit. His list of wins is pretty awesome:

Steve Robinson
Manuel Medina
Tom Johnson
Billy Hardy
Kevin Kelley
Wilfredo Vazquez
Wayne McCullough
Paul Ingle
Cesar Soto
Vuyani Bungu
Augie Sanchez

none of those guys were elite fighters.

I'm not sure how long you have followed boxing. Do you realize how many of those guys listed were world champions? Sure Barrera was the best fighter he ever fought. It would be hard to name 10 fighters to ever fight at 126 Lbs. that were better than him. The guy was Great.
6/17/13 7:45 PM
DiazsBongWater
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing wiz - The guy was much better than most people think. I always here what a clown he was, and how he was all hype. The guy was a flat out monstrous puncher. He was very fast and unorthodox. He also had heart. He had some wars with Augie Sanchez, Kevin Kelly and even Daniel Alicea somewhat. He beat very good fighters too in Tom Johnson, Wilfredo Vazquez, Paul Ingle, Cesar Soto, Manuel Medina, Wayne McCullogh and Vuyani Bungu. He made millions and millions of dollars. He lost against an all time great in Marco Antonio Barrera; no shame there. After the loss, he seemed to lose his desire to fight. He retired very rich and with a much respected career to remember. For the record I absolutely hated the guy, but can respect his accomplishments.
Exactly this Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 7:56 PM
45forever
326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember staying up to watch him fight Wayne McCullough,we were all rooting for our hometown boy.
Naz must have been surrounded by yes men in his camps.
Who was his head trainer? Phone Post 3.0
6/17/13 9:06 PM
boxing wiz
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He started out, and spent the majority of his career with Brendan Ingle who had a decent stable of fighters(Ryan Rhodes also) at the time. Warren was his promoter. There was some big split between Warren and Ingle, and Prince left Ingle around this time also. He went with I think it was Oscar Suarez after the split. I believe he was with Manny Steward for maybe two fights(the Barrera fight Nd maybe the one prior to it).
He was trained trained by Ingle to fight an awkward style, fighting out of both orthodox and southpaw. His awkwardness combined with his ultra fast reflexes and huge power made him a tough out for anyone. His heart along with his power bailed him out of many tough situations. It took Barrera to go with text book fundamentals and a near perfect fight to beat him. I think the Pre-Jr. Jones Barerra that was more of a stereo typical Mexican style brawler would have been stopped by the Prince.
6/17/13 9:39 PM
soldave
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cant remember the fight but I take it Barrera took every round comfortably what with all the "clowning" comments?
6/17/13 9:58 PM
Korpiklaani

one of the biggest losers in history, hated him, glad he doesnt box anymore
6/17/13 9:59 PM
boxing wiz

soldave - I cant remember the fight but I take it Barrera took every round comfortably what with all the "clowning" comments?

Barerra beat him comfortably. The clowning I think comes from in the last round, the two got tangled and Barrera ended up behind Hamed with him in sort of a half Nelson. Barrera pushed him into a corner and drove Naseem's face into the padding. It was kind of dirty, and also a show of dominance by Barrera. Hey when you say the things Prince did and taunt people, that's what comes back eventually.
6/18/13 11:55 AM
Mushypea
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naz was my favourite fighter when I was growing up, we watched every p.p.v the guy was just amazing inside the ring if he was on it u was getting stopped usually in brutal fashion but he wasn't the same after the Ingle spilt and if I remember it right his brother took control of more or less every aspect of his career, that dude had freak punching power for his weight and also don't buy it to all the camera bullshit, he was a true family man and married a local girl from my town from a shitty council estate his persona on camera was not the real naz, he new what made money and understood it and 90% bought in to it

Talent was unquestionable Phone Post 3.0
6/18/13 12:04 PM
Quik
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SIX DEUCE, Anti-Douchebaggery
ttt for later
6/18/13 12:14 PM
CiganoBoxer

HOF trainer Emanuel Stewart once said that Naz was the hardest puncher he had ever held the mitts for,in fact he said he hit harder than Lennox ...blue namer please do the honours .
Great video .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1cKhkux4kU
6/18/13 12:48 PM
Onlyonemichaelbisping

I used to love watching nas, he was a beast but these days he's just a joke.

Here's how it is, he was once the prince, but now he's a washed up, burger flipping brummy pisshead

R.I.P prince :( Phone Post
6/18/13 12:50 PM
Onlyonemichaelbisping

The truth of his career is he fought with total confidence in his brash cocky way and was a complete badass, once Barrera took that from him he was and always would be nothing.

Dude was all confidence, no heart, no determination Phone Post
6/18/13 1:17 PM
me101
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightermindset.com, Owner

For CiganoBoxer

6/18/13 4:23 PM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue Flame Special -
PrettyBoy - Does anyone have the buildup commercial before his USA debut for the Kevin Kelly fight? Where it's like someone screaming in the streets that a Prince is coming. And he is walking through New York City?

That was awesome but I can't find it anywhere. Phone Post 3.0

The promo and everything else about that fight was awesome.

What was it, like 7 knockdowns in total? Hamed's power cannot be denied and was definitely the difference that night.

I was probably 14 or 15 when that one happened. It was a great moment for UK boxing. We knew how good Nas was, but I don't think America expected it to go down at all like that.
To be honest we had no clue what to expect. Back then there was really no avenue for us to watch any of his previous fights. So when HBO decided to gamble on him I think we were all just waiting to see if they were going to lose their ass on a fight he was supposed to win.

I think most Americans are super skeptical of any hyped European fighter who has never crossed the pond to prove himself against the best. Especially when HBO were trying to bill him as the world champ when he had the WBO. Americans only really recognize the WBC,IBF,and WBA.

They picked Kevin Kelly who was a former champ on the very tail end of his career and Naz was still dropped like 3 times. Super exciting fight. Great entrance. And HBO came out winners.

But he didn't convince anyone over here that he was the best in the world and it turned out he wasn't. But I really enjoyed Naz. Phone Post 3.0
6/18/13 5:47 PM
GelderdEnd

He was an awesome fighter Phone Post 3.0
6/18/13 5:52 PM
HexRei

SHanded83 - 
WhoShotYushinOkami -
Hikikomori -  9/11 ruined his career. Phone Post

MAB ruined his career!!!!

Agreed, most of the uk was glad Mab destroyed him me being one of them if I remember rightly the dick head started praying an preeching to Ala.
absolute embarrassing for all the Brit fans that follwed him there. Phone Post 3.0

But its fine to praise jesus...
6/18/13 7:21 PM
boxing wiz

Very Good Point HexRei. He was no different than Evander Holyfield doing his preaching about his God, other than we never heard about Prince having 3 or 4 divorces, numerous mistresses, and at least 9 kids from I believe 7 or 8 moms, like Evander.
6/18/13 7:54 PM
MMAdotCOM

U4EA - 
InYoMommaCloset - 
U4EA - Can't be bothered getting into a discussion, but I recommend EVERYONE (whether you like him or not) read 'Shadows of Boxing: Prince Naseem and Those He Left Behind'. It's written by the head of psychology at Manchester University - who knew Hamed personally - and spells out in the book that he believed Hamed was a psychopath.

Can you go into more detail?

I would suggest you read it. It's very well written.

The guy gets involved in Hamed's world of doormen, nightclubs etc. He talks about Hamed and his body language when he is talking about his KOs etc and points out that other things would cause him to show the same signs, such as a time he and Hamed watched CCTV footage of someone getting stabbed in one of the clubs they used to go to. IIRC (it's been a long time since I read it), he says that Hamed would get aroused while watching his KOs or talking about them and would then start rubbing his ear in a certain way and he did the same thing when he would see footage of stabbings.

He basically spells out he believed he was a psychopath but he clearly couldn't say it directly because of legal reprisal.

i knew a lot, i mean a lot of guys that liked hurting people while wrestling. i think it's pretty common among not just combat sports but all rough sports. doesn't make him a psychopath

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.