UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/21/13 4:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - 
Wasa-B - 
wiggum - I'm unsure how Fedor fans can discredit Anderson and how Anderson fans can discredit Fedor.

They both did the same thing: dominate for a sustained period of time while facing the best competition with lesser competition in between.

Does anyone think that there is a 185 pounder Anderson should have fought, didn't fight, and would have somehow shown his greatness even more?

Does anyone really need Fedor to have fought anyone else during his 10 year run to prove that he was the best? Who was better than him? Sergei? Give me a break.

Yeah, again, these GOAT threads always end up in the same place, a place that never ends well. Anyone that knows me knows i am both a giant fan of both Fedor and Anderson but I still put my vote for Anderson over Fedor now. I also think Jones is en route to surpass Anderson. I'm also a big GSP fan but I have to admit that his conservative ways has been frustrating but that he is still easily one of the GOATs. I'm also a big fan of Aldo but he has some competitive decisions in the UFC, we all know he's #1 with a bullet but he hasnt been distancing himself from his opponents like the above. However, Aldo is one of my fav guys to watch. GSP is in the fact that he's so good at everything, i love overall generalship but frustrating in that he looks like he could outclass his opponents and he just does enough.

As for the question of how who either Fedor or Anderson should have fought but didnt/hasnt, you mentioned Sergei, Wiggum. There is also Barnett during his Pride years which of course, he was going to fight in Affliction and it was Josh's fault (not Fedor's) in that not panning out. I cant remember the logistics in Pride but Barnett may have also lost out his chances when he was beaten by CC and Nog in the rematch? There was also Overeem in SF too although they could have met in the GP had things gone right.

Yeah. I am kind of selective in saying Sergei. I guess Josh and Randy are the two fighters where Fedor could have proven even more. But Josh lost his chances and he lost to Cro Cop.

Sergei wasnt a must but would have def been good. Josh would have been higher on the list i think or similar i guess. Randy would have been good but a diff category since they were in diff orgs but like the Josh fight, to a lesser extent though, both guys wanted it to happen, i think Zuffa prevented Randy from getting it outside the UFC, right?

If so, and it was iirc, Fedor was literally on his way to fight Josh and negotiating with Randy but both fights did not happen due to circumstances out of his camp's control. JDS, Cain, Brock were all not musts because they came up later not at the same time and then there were the mgmt bs (i guess id have to blame Fedor's mgmt more on this one but not that they had to bend to Zuffa either all the way).
6/21/13 4:47 PM
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Randy and Josh both would have been good because the knock against Fedor's resume in terms of stylistic matchups is that he never faced a wrestler with competent submissions./sub defense unlike Coleman and Randleman.
6/21/13 4:54 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -  Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post

doesn't matter when you don't fight the best competition available. only 1/2 the top level fighters were in pride as evidenced by performances in the ring/cage. he only faced 1/2 the top guys in pride. werdum,kharitonov,barnett,ricco never got a sniff. and before you say "they didn't earn a shot" consider zulu,tk,choi...

geez, another one of these tards.

Choi & Zulu were NYE freak show fights the japs loved. TK was a rematch that Fedor wanted just to clear that up.

werdum wasnt doin shit then but getting beat by
Nog & Kharitonov to get that shot. Ricco had ONE good win in pride then went back to ufc. he wasnt even a pride fighter at the time and was a ufc fighter since 2001. and had losses prior and after the Nog pride fight.

Kharitonov had a chance but lost to Nog in the tourney. wish they would have fought, but it doesnt tarnish Fedor's legacy because they didnt. just another guy Fedor would have beat back then.

I'm not even go to Barnett, your an asshat for even mentionng him. HE Blew his chance 3 TIMES!

when it was 2002-2006 all the best were in Pride excpt Alrloski, Sylvia, couture. Fedor beat two of them.

and I'm sorry, but Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Sonnen even is fighting the BEST? OK! Sonnen's one his best wins and most on here complained he was even getting a shot. and like fighting Weidman who has EXACTLY 2 DECENT, not Huge, but decent wins. LOL thats fighting the best?
Geez not another 1 of you tards. another clown making excuses as to why fedor didn't fight legit fighters. Funny how werdum's loss to jds didn't stop him from tapping fedor like a little girl. And just b/c Japan likes clown matches,fedor can't get credit. Phone Post

excuses? Werdum was a mid-carder in pride. Ricco WASNT EVEN IN PRIDE at the time you dumbass. UFC sent him over for one fight. Barnett DECLINED Twice and failed for roids the 3rd time. so Fedor should have chased him out in the parking lot to fight? Sergie is the only one left.

OK So he Should have fought ONE more fight he didnt in pride.

nice try, keep reaching!

But Ogawa,Fujita and Coleman(2nd fight) were all legit challengers? Many a fan wanted Ricco to get a shot after the controversial nog fight. Phone Post

No they werent. Fujita was legit tough though. But Fedor fought FIVE times each yr he fought Fujita & Ogawa, so he had FOUR more fights each yr on top of those.

in 04, the yr he fought Ogawa that the haters bring up, he also fought Coleman, Randleman and Big Nog TWICE that same yr.

do you even know why Fedor/Coleman 2 was set up?

and yes, Ricco won vs Nog. but wasnt a win worth getting a shot at Fedor. it deserved a rematch with Nog. Ricco lost to Sylvia just prior and to Rizzo just after. a fight I would have like to see, but Fedor didnt NEED to fight Ricco!
No fedor didn't 'need' to fight ricco, but he didn't need to fight 3 out off the 4 guys you mentioned either. Who do you think was a more legit challenger to fedor,ricco or randleman, Coleman,ogawa? Fedor took the easy path... Phone Post

Explain how AS took the hard path then, or even a harder one then Fedor took. A smaller than AS, Hendo fought Nog X2, fedor, Arona, Yvel, Shogun, Machida, Evans, Lil nog, Page and the rest. This road of fighting the best was open to AS as well (save his training partners).

What a silly time for this argument BTW, any damn fool knows both these guys are great fighters. AS has a fight coming up and we all hope a super fight with JBJ happens after that. To me TBH AS can LOSE that fight and still prove GOAT in the fight. If he does not challenge the best 1 time when they are the best WTF knows, JBJ will supersede them or then this argument will at least make more sense then IMO.

6/21/13 4:57 PM
wiggum
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa -

Randy was always interesting. His submission game was long evolved from the days that Ensone almost took his arm. And Fedor would have had a tough time bullying him in the clinch.
6/21/13 4:58 PM
orcus

"And the other time Cain defended it he showed you how easy it is to get clipped at heavyweight. Something Emelianenko avoided throughout his ten year run."

Uh...he did get clipped a couple times, or did you forget Fujita and Crocop fights? 

6/21/13 5:03 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

"And the other time Cain defended it he showed you how easy it is to get clipped at heavyweight. Something Emelianenko avoided throughout his ten year run."

Uh...he did get clipped a couple times, or did you forget Fujita and Crocop fights? 

The comment was about Cain and DC not taking damage like Fedor. And I was stating Cain has been clipped more than once so what are you talking about? Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 5:21 PM
CLINTK9
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

uh, clipped and ko'd like Cain did is what he was saying.
6/21/13 5:28 PM
CLINTK9
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -  Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post

doesn't matter when you don't fight the best competition available. only 1/2 the top level fighters were in pride as evidenced by performances in the ring/cage. he only faced 1/2 the top guys in pride. werdum,kharitonov,barnett,ricco never got a sniff. and before you say "they didn't earn a shot" consider zulu,tk,choi...

Choi & Zulu were NYE freak show fights the japs loved. TK was a rematch that Fedor wanted just to clear that up.

Nog & Kharitonov to get that shot. Ricco had ONE good win in pride then went back to ufc. he wasnt even a pride fighter at the time and was a ufc fighter since 2001. and had losses prior and after the Nog pride fight.

Kharitonov had a chance but lost to Nog in the tourney. wish they would have fought, but it doesnt tarnish Fedor's legacy because they didnt. just another guy Fedor would have beat back then.

I'm not even go to Barnett, your an asshat for even mentionng him. HE Blew his chance 3 TIMES!

when it was 2002-2006 all the best were in Pride excpt Alrloski, Sylvia, couture. Fedor beat two of them.

and I'm sorry, but Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Sonnen even is fighting the BEST? OK! Sonnen's one his best wins and most on here complained he was even getting a shot. and like fighting Weidman who has EXACTLY 2 DECENT, not Huge, but decent wins. LOL thats fighting the best?
Geez not another 1 of you tards. another clown making excuses as to why fedor didn't fight legit fighters. Funny how werdum's loss to jds didn't stop him from tapping fedor like a little girl. And just b/c Japan likes clown matches,fedor can't get credit. Phone Post

excuses? Werdum was a mid-carder in pride. Ricco WASNT EVEN IN PRIDE at the time you dumbass. UFC sent him over for one fight. Barnett DECLINED Twice and failed for roids the 3rd time. so Fedor should have chased him out in the parking lot to fight? Sergie is the only one left.

nice try, keep reaching!

But Ogawa,Fujita and Coleman(2nd fight) were all legit challengers? Many a fan wanted Ricco to get a shot after the controversial nog fight. Phone Post

No they werent. Fujita was legit tough though. But Fedor fought FIVE times each yr he fought Fujita & Ogawa, so he had FOUR more fights each yr on top of those.

in 04, the yr he fought Ogawa that the haters bring up, he also fought Coleman, Randleman and Big Nog TWICE that same yr.

and yes, Ricco won vs Nog. but wasnt a win worth getting a shot at Fedor. it deserved a rematch with Nog. Ricco lost to Sylvia just prior and to Rizzo just after. a fight I would have like to see, but Fedor didnt NEED to fight Ricco!
No fedor didn't 'need' to fight ricco, but he didn't need to fight 3 out off the 4 guys you mentioned either. Who do you think was a more legit challenger to fedor,ricco or randleman, Coleman,ogawa? Fedor took the easy path... Phone Post

FIVE fights per yr, with 2-3 of them legit challenges, is the easy path? whatever dude. yeah and thats at HW, but anderson can stay down at MW at the weakest division in history, but Fedor took the easy path. how many times does Anderson fight each yr? EXACTLY. these japs and freakshows were just added attractions to the real fights he fought. If Anderson fought 3 extra times per yr even against cans, you guys would swing all over his nuts. but Fedor fights FIVE Frikin times 2 yrs in a ROW and gets shit on for ALL 10 NOT being The Best Comp Ever. When the FUCK would Anderson EVER fight 10 Fights in 2 yrs?
6/21/13 5:36 PM
wiggum
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 - 
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 

nice try, keep reaching!

FIVE fights per yr, with 2-3 of them legit challenges, is the easy path? whatever dude. yeah and thats at HW, but anderson can stay down at MW at the weakest division in history, but Fedor took the easy path. how many times does Anderson fight each yr? EXACTLY. these japs and freakshows were just added attractions to the real fights he fought. If Anderson fought 3 extra times per yr even against cans, you guys would swing all over his nuts. but Fedor fights FIVE Frikin times 2 yrs in a ROW and gets shit on for ALL 10 NOT being The Best Comp Ever. When the FUCK would Anderson EVER fight 10 Fights in 2 yrs?

It puts the epicness of Jones' streak in perspective.

And GSP's, if we're honest.
6/21/13 6:40 PM
Lazer MMA

wiggum - 
CLINTK9 - 
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 

nice try, keep reaching!

It puts the epicness of Jones' streak in perspective.

And GSP's, if we're honest.

CLINTK9 - VTFU

He never lost to weaker comp. as well
6/21/13 7:13 PM
Wasa-B

wiggum - Wasa -

Randy was always interesting. His submission game was long evolved from the days that Ensone almost took his arm. And Fedor would have had a tough time bullying him in the clinch.

I would have been surprised had Fedor been able to not get taken down in the clinch vs Randy, ie, Randy would most likely have dominated him in the clinch if they clinched straight up. I dont think Fedor's clinch was ever really that great in itself. In peak form, he was great at transitioning from strikes to the clinch but he was never on Randy's level in the clinch alone or even with dirty boxing. See how he was lifted by Lindland which was still prime Fedor, though Fedor did counter Lindland with that nice uchimata, there was that whole rope issue (which was more incidental imo). By the time he faced Rogers, Arlovski and Hendo, he did not look good in the clinch at all. Against Rogers he had a nice exit from the clinch into strikes but cant remember if he took Rogers down in the clinch? Arlvoski was not known for his clinch at all and Fedor and him were pretty much at a stand still there for a couple minutes with nothing happening. Hendo muscled Fedor around in the clinch.

Fedor really was never great at tdd. Kinda like Hendo, he really swung for the fences and was often left out of position for the td, the first Coleman fight was a good example of this. He never had a great sprawl n brawl game and I agree that he was somewhat lucky that he never faced a fighter that could really exploit this. Against Nog, he was the stronger td guy so he ended up taking Nog down first. Against CC, CC was one of the best sprawl n brawl guys we've seen (along with Chuck) and where Coleman failed to get CC down, Fedor's generalship in peak form broke down CC's standup. Against Coleman and Randleman, those guys simply were too poor on the ground to exploit Fedor on his back.

So Randy definately, even Barnett, would have tested that had they got on top of Fedor. I dont think the Randy/Nog fight was a great example of how Randy would do against Fedor because I think Randy was weary or more cautious to go to the ground with Nog where against Fedor, he would have to get the td. I do think Fedor could have taken Randy's head off too but Fedor never employed the kind of disciplined sprawl n brawl that Chuck did against Randy. Even Chuck (who really wasnt that much smaller than Fedor) had to lose then make adjustments to beat Randy.

Anyhow, I would have loved to have seen both Randy and Josh fight Fedor. I think Randy may have been the tougher matchup than Josh.
6/21/13 7:22 PM
wiggum

I always thought that Randy was the toughest match up for Fedor that he never faced.

That's not to say he ducked Randy or that he wouldn't have won. This is a guy who destroyed Cro Cop standing and battered Nog on the ground. But it was a type match up that we didn't see. (Same reason I'm so interested to see Anderson against Weidman. It's not that he won't win. I'm just curious to see how/if he wins).

You're right about straight clinch. Fact is, He did grab the ropes against Lindland. In the straight clinch, Randy would have been superior. (Did anybody ever beat Randy in the straight clinch).

At the same time, his strike-->clinch/td transition game was so sick. It was so good you have to wonder whether TDD is even part of the equation. Honestly, Mino and Cro Cop never even had time to sprawl because they were just swept off their feet off the punches.

So you've got the guy who boxed up Chuck Liddel into takedowns against the guy who kickboxed up Mino and Cro Cop into takedowns. Would have been a great fight.

I've got Fedor. But I'm not sure how.
6/21/13 7:28 PM
Wasa-B

wiggum - I always thought that Randy was the toughest match up for Fedor that he never faced.

That's not to say he ducked Randy or that he wouldn't have won. This is a guy who destroyed Cro Cop standing and battered Nog on the ground. But it was a type match up that we didn't see. (Same reason I'm so interested to see Anderson against Weidman. It's not that he won't win. I'm just curious to see how/if he wins).

You're right about straight clinch. Fact is, He did grab the ropes against Lindland. In the straight clinch, Randy would have been superior. (Did anybody ever beat Randy in the straight clinch).

At the same time, his strike-->clinch/td transition game was so sick. It was so good you have to wonder whether TDD is even part of the equation. Honestly, Mino and Cro Cop never even had time to sprawl because they were just swept off their feet off the punches.

So you've got the guy who boxed up Chuck Liddel into takedowns against the guy who kickboxed up Mino and Cro Cop into takedowns. Would have been a great fight.

Cool story bro......seriously, my thoughts exact incl Andy/Weidman, im excited about that fight, not sure why so many are complaining about the wolf ticket thing, Weidman is a very good stylistic matchup for anyone really and one that Anderson hasnt faced before. Chael to him was kinda like Coleman/Randleman for Fedor, they are all great wrestlers but were always sub-prone.

Randy and Fedor were about the same size too. Remember that photoshoot they did for a videogame or something when Randy tried to get the fight outside UFC?
6/21/13 7:30 PM
wiggum

^^Which brings us back to this topic: After Weidman, will there be any real style Anderson hasn't fought?
6/21/13 7:30 PM
Wasa-B

Btw, as for my pick with both Fedor and Randy in their primes, i think the cage/ring would have made a significant difference in this one.

I always thought it was a pickem. Either Randy gets the td and grinds to a UD or a cut TKO or Fedor simply catches Randy on his feet at any point in the fight.
6/21/13 7:35 PM
Wasa-B

wiggum - ^^Which brings us back to this topic: After Weidman, will there be any real style Anderson hasn't fought?

No. I mean you can knit pick into minor details like he hasnt fought someone like Jones or Shogun or GSP but really, he would have taken on all styles, as much as anyone should be required as a great one anyhow.

He would have faced a rounded wrestler in Weidman, another rounded type in Nate, diff BJJ styles like Lutter, Maia and also Newton. Striker like Vitor. Wrestler like Chael, another strong wrestler with better sub defense in Okami. Lets not forget Sakurai who was not only one of the P4P best and undefeated at the time but one of the most rounded guys too. And then he's faced bigger guys too at LHW for the size thing.

6/21/13 7:36 PM
Wasa-B

And i didnt even include a wrestler with KO power like Hendo and another big, rounded MW like Franklin.
6/21/13 7:40 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman ain't beating the #2 GOAT I see him catching a knee on a clinch break ala Aldo/Mendes. Even if he were to lose who wouldn't wanna see him fight St. Pierre he's earned it and its still a fight I'd be interested in. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 10:40 PM
MrColdCock
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Randy's best (only) chance is in the cage w/elbows. I can't call it a pickem fight though. Fedor doesn't just have a punchers chance here. If he ends up on top, he likely wins. Randy didn't survive being under Barnett or Ricco. Fedor's GNP was superior to both of them and his top control was excellent as well. Fedor at some time in this fight ends up on top and it's game over IMO. Phone Post
6/22/13 1:39 AM
MrColdCock
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Really? In pretty sure I saw Nog split the takedowns with both Ricco and Barnett and wasn't anywhere near taking Fedor down in three fights. Fedor also took Cro Cop down more times in 1 fight then Barnett did in three. As time has gone on, Fedor's "wrestling" has gone from overrated to underrated.

Not that it really matters anyway. If you had seen Randy vs Josh or Ricco, you would understand that. Watch those fights and then come back. Phone Post
6/22/13 1:43 AM
Emperor Nero

You know what is the real greatest of all time, a lot of chicks don't even give the header, and the ones who do, most of them are really bad at it, and even of the few who are good, most of them can't suck the balls. The best is when you get one who really knows how to work the balls. Yeah, that's the greatest. Also, I liked the video.
6/22/13 2:06 AM
MrColdCock

Emperor Nero - You know what is the real greatest of all time, a lot of chicks don't even give the header, and the ones who do, most of them are really bad at it, and even of the few who are good, most of them can't suck the balls. The best is when you get one who really knows how to work the balls. Yeah, that's the greatest. Also, I liked the video.
I wouldn't know.

Do you even UG? Phone Post
6/22/13 2:11 AM
MrColdCock

Off topic, but if you look at the time Between Fedor's first fight in Pride until his loss to Werdum, over 8 years he went 22-0. Randy's HW record during this same time was 2-3.

The clamouring for this fight was during a very small window. I think more people were looking for a Wand vs Randy fight then a Fedor vs Randy fight. Phone Post
6/22/13 2:36 AM
sparkuri

Fedor is the GOAT.
Jones has a chance, but we're years away.
Andy kicks ass within a twenty pound range.
Fedor is a shorter, fatter guy that basically said "bring on the world", then bowed to it when he was done smashing it. Phone Post
6/22/13 6:58 AM
Lazer MMA

wiggum - I always thought that Randy was the toughest match up for Fedor that he never faced.

So when would have been a good time of that fight exactly IYO Wiggum? What year (BTFW - HAPPY B DAY RANDY!- someone is older than me LOL!)? In 2003 Randy was 40, Fedor was 26. Randy is like Hendo, crossovers, WTF knows when there prime was??

To me the best Fedor was 2004, his conditioning was still there at a top level (and speed), he would clearly improve in striking latter though.

When should they have fought? Not when Randy was getting clowned in Japan you said. The Randy that fought those wars with Rizzo and Or GNTFO by Josh? The Randy that GKTFO by the Iceman? The Randy who beat Tim was impressive as hell, but he was 45.

When should the fight have happened (to made it the most meaningful)?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.