UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/19/13 10:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rMar89 -
Tilla - Here we go... Newbie Fedor haters are here! :-(

Not a hater at all; I just don't think he is the goat. The majority of his fights are in an era riddled with controversy. From the yukuza being involved and fixed fights. I know he's great I just feel Anderson is way better. Phone Post
Can't they both be awesome Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:28 AM
rMar89
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick -
rMar89 -

Not a hater at all; I just don't think he is the goat. The majority of his fights are in an era riddled with controversy. From the yukuza being involved and fixed fights. I know he's great I just feel Anderson is way better. Phone Post
I feel like that's pretty much what I just said lol Phone Post
6/19/13 10:31 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rMar89 -
rMar89 -

Just speaking to the masses. But Sonnen makes a great point saying if Anderson beats Weidman it's no longer an argument. Because he beat an elite fighter from the new generation I'm down with that. Pretty much like if Fedor beat Cain or Jones. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:35 AM
kevsh
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't argue with Joe but that bit seemed more like a fluff piece hyping Silva's next fight than a real explanation as to why Silva is the best.

Joe goes on about how everything comes together in one fighter, all the elements of greatness, etc. etc. rather than pointing out facts or examples (like DatSpider did in this thread) to support his reasoning.
6/19/13 10:42 AM
Michael Chase
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0

Yeah it's all dependent on being able to beat the Zulus and Hong Man Chois of the world.

Lol this. I now owe you a VU. Phone Post
6/19/13 10:50 AM
forever white belt

orcus -
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0

Yeah it's all dependent on being able to beat the Zulus and Hong Man Chois of the world.

LOL Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:51 AM
CLINTK9
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

yea, good thing Fedor didnt have to defend against those brutal challenges like Cote, Maia, Lietes, Lutter, Okami, Bonner, Marqaurdt & Irvin. LOL, Choi beats everyone of these guys.
6/19/13 10:55 AM
CLINTK9
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 
rMar89 -
rMar89 -

Just speaking to the masses. But Sonnen makes a great point saying if Anderson beats Weidman it's no longer an argument. Because he beat an elite fighter from the new generation I'm down with that. Pretty much like if Fedor beat Cain or Jones. Phone Post 3.0

Weidmans beat NOBODY so far and really doesnt even deserve this fight yet. Belfort has done more by KO'ing Bisping & Rockhold latley.
6/19/13 10:59 AM
CLINTK9

I feel at this point they are about even. Fedor had some cans, but Anderson had quite a few challengers that had ZERO Biz being there. I didnt see ANYONE offering up screen name bets on those brutal challengers like Cote, Leites, Lutter, Okami, Maia or Nate. IF they WERE SUCH Tough Challenges and so much better than Fedor's comp, SURLEY a few ug'rs out there would have offered up some screen name bets on them.
6/19/13 11:04 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

CLINTK9 - I feel at this point they are about even. Fedor had some cans, but Anderson had quite a few challengers that had ZERO Biz being there. I didnt see ANYONE offering up screen name bets on those brutal challengers like Cote, Leites, Lutter, Okami, Maia or Nate. IF they WERE SUCH Tough Challenges and so much better than Fedor's comp, SURLEY a few ug'rs out there would have offered up some screen name bets on them.
Best thing about the emperor was "zero" yellow cards ever. Always a chainsaw! Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 11:24 AM
ShawnTheBadger
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Nuff said

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/287683/2gvljtj_jpg.gif Phone Post 3.0

As requested, blind.

6/19/13 11:29 AM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

Anderson fights the likes of Bonnar (who is B-Level) and because he lets him tee-off on him, and misses, he is Neo's clone... Zzzz.

Anderson, IMO, he's got the same syndrome as Mayweather. Fight once in a blue moon and fight pointless fights and moan about stuff...

Irvin? Bonnar? Griffin? Cote? Thales (however you pronounce it)? Daft fights.

When Andy is on HE'S ON, but he makes too many excuses... "He's my friend" etc.

You shouldn't fight @ 205 if you won't fight the best there. That's why I hope GSP never takes this fight.

Fedor, for me, is the greatest.

Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!

Bones is great, but the dude IS a HW. Look at his fucking frame. Fedor was essentially a 185'er going against the best.

GSP is a better MMA'er than Anderson. He is more well rounded.

I've never seen the hype over Anderson.

So you can't fight a weight class above you if you don't fight the champ??? GTFO. How many champs are even moving up to fight nowadays??? Nobody. Didn't Anderson agree to save a couple of events by stepping in to face whomever? Meaning he did NOT know who his opponent would be until the last minute. The definition of fighter. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 11:48 AM
overstander

Anderson walks around at 220, and fights at middle weight. Andy is too worried about tarnishing his well built padded record to fight higher weight classes where the dangerous fighters are. He only fought cans with the excepetion of hendo and a couple more guys.. At LHW he fought irvin forest and bonnar all three where not the elite of the elite.
If anderson would have stayed at Lhw and was victorious i would consider him the greatest, but he himself knows he's just a zuffa hype not the real goat. Dont get me wrong i like him, but he needs to test himself one day and hopefully doesnt run off into the sunset with that padded record without testing his self against the other big names.

if he wins i want andy vs cormier at 205. i just want the man to prove it and cormier first then jones will solidify him in my book.
6/19/13 12:06 PM
Jetster

Not sure Fedor is the Goat but anyone that does not entertain this thought is a uneducated MMA fan.
6/19/13 12:10 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor is the GOAT. He never had a fight like that Maia-Anderson shit. He came to fight and in his prime ran the best organization in the universe.

The cage is your world, This ring is the universe.

Pride Never Die.
6/19/13 12:19 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - Fedor is the GOAT. He never had a fight like that Maia-Anderson shit. He came to fight and in his prime ran the best organization in the universe.

Pride Never Die.
Who did Fedor even train with compared to Silva? I remember Aleks, that one young guy he'd kick the shit out of daily, a bunch of students, and fucking monkey bars. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 12:40 PM
CLINTK9

omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 - I feel at this point they are about even. Fedor had some cans, but Anderson had quite a few challengers that had ZERO Biz being there. I didnt see ANYONE offering up screen name bets on those brutal challengers like Cote, Leites, Lutter, Okami, Maia or Nate. IF they WERE SUCH Tough Challenges and so much better than Fedor's comp, SURLEY a few ug'rs out there would have offered up some screen name bets on them.

i guess you don't know the difference between a legit challenger and a can. let's not forget Spider started his career @ ww. Fedor is a good fighter,but has no place in the GOAT discussion.

yeah I do, and I LOL at some of those legit challengers. some of Fedor's cans would destroy most of those guys.
6/19/13 12:44 PM
CLINTK9

Unwariestpickle - Lol at Fedor fans calling the competition that Silva faced Weak.

Zuluzinho
Choi Hong-man
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

For Christs sake he fought a guy with an 0-1 record. Yuji Nagata look it up!

If you compare top 10 wins Silva has more. PERIOD. No debate.

stop looking at sherdogs records for reference. Lietes, Lutter, Cote, etc are Laughable challenges for the Spider. Choi would beat the ever living shit out of half andy's challengers. Herring would beat them all with the exception of Belfort (under pride lower weight gets the nod rules) & maybe Hendo. just because ufc says Cote or Lietes are legit challengers doesnt make them so.
6/19/13 12:47 PM
eXtv

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - Fedor is the GOAT. He never had a fight like that Maia-Anderson shit. He came to fight and in his prime ran the best organization in the universe.

Pride Never Die.
Who did Fedor even train with compared to Silva? I remember Aleks, that one young guy he'd kick the shit out of daily, a bunch of students, and fucking monkey bars. Phone Post 3.0

Kharitonov when he was at RTT

Tyrone Spong for the Cro Cop fight

Denis Lebedev for the Rogers and Monson fights

Others, like Alecks, Roman Zentsov, Overeem, Mousasi, and countless high level Judokas and Russian National Sambo Team members.

6/19/13 12:54 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

eXtv -

Pride Never Die.

Others, like Alecks, Roman Zentsov, Overeem, Mousasi, and countless high level Judokas and Russian National Sambo Team members.

I'm saying look at the mega gym Anderson trains at. While Fedor trained like Clubber Lang and was still a wrecking ball. The essence of man, the GOAT, the last emperor Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 12:57 PM
eXtv

eXtv -

Pride Never Die.

I'm saying look at the mega gym Anderson trains at. While Fedor trained like Clubber Lang and was still a wrecking ball. The essence of man, the GOAT, the last emperor Phone Post 3.0

Oh I agree, Fedor dominating Nogeuira on the ground when he was training with nobodies and Nog was rolling with guys like Arona every day is a crazy thing.

What Fedor did with comparatively very little resources (both training partners and facilities) was nothing short of remarkable.
6/19/13 1:10 PM
Ghetto-Top-Team
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clip isn't working, let me try to help.

6/19/13 1:11 PM
Ghetto-Top-Team
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now it is! Ah whatever. :)

6/19/13 1:14 PM
The Swinging Richard
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter of all time.

6/19/13 1:15 PM
4thHorsemen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a good argument for both being in the discussion and I think both have very legitimate arguments to be made.

What pisses me off are the idiots that are saying "Fedor doesn't even belong in the discussion" or the morons discounting Anderson's wins 'cause he doesn't fight "bigger" guys.

A strong argument in Anderson's Favour is longevity. A GOAT discussion should take longevity into account as well. At the same time, Fedor dominated in a rich era with many contenders in the highest weight class while MW has always been seen as one of the weaker divisions.

I personally think Fedor just had more of an unbeatable aura and he proved it time and time again until he either lost the will to fight or just got out of his prime and he dominated the HW division. As we've seen, even stringing a few wins together in the HW division is difficult enough, but to go on ten years without a loss is a feat worthy of greatest of all time.

That's why I'd put Fedor above Anderson, if not equal to him. But I definitely do think Anderson is up there with Fedor if not equal to him.

They have both been awesome to watch and I'm glad we lived in an era where we can say 10-15 years from now that we saw them fight and dominate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.