UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/19/13 2:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol these threads always bring out the Silva haters.
6/19/13 2:37 PM
RollHighAllDay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.anderson
2.fedor
3.gsp
4.jones

Jones will be number 3 then number 2 if he keeps winning, but he needs to get the same amount of fights in as gsp and fedor if he is to be held above them. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 2:39 PM
eXtv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - Fedor is the Heavyweight GOAT.

Anderson is the MMA GOAT.

If you put yourself on the outside looking in, there's no denying this. Phone Post 3.0

"There is nothing denying my opinion. If you disagree with my personal interpretation, you're just an idiot."
The entire point of my statement is that if you took someone who didn't know either fighter and followed their careers they would say that Anderson is the GOAT.

Fanboys of both fighters have conflicted opinions.

Rogan got it right. Phone Post 3.0

"The entire point of my statement is that if you took someone who didn't know either fighter and followed their careers they would say that Anderson is the GOAT."

The only reason you think that is because you see Anderson as the GOAT. What examples do you have of presenting both fighters' legacies and resumes to someone completely ignorant of the sport and them picking Anderson? None. So the only reason you say that is because your personal interpretation of Anderson is him being the GOAT.

Many of Anderson's accomplishments over Fedor's have been outlined in this thread. Phone Post 3.0

And many of Fedor's accomplishments over Anderson's have been outlined in many other threads. What's your point? People value different accomplishments differently and it's still a subjective debate.
I believe that there are many Fedor fans who refuse to think any different.

If Anderson went on to defend his title another 10 times there would still be many Fedor fans, most new hipster MMA fans, who would argue.

The fact that Anderson has been ranked in the top 10 for over 10 years, #1 in his division since 2006, undefeated in the UFC, and has 11 UFC belts in his possession... Come on.

Had Fedor came to the UFC after Pride, who knows how he would have done.

Fedor stopped fighting top guys for a period of time, went back and did well, then started getting knocked out and submitted.

Fedor is the HW GOAT, no question.

Anderson is a MW who is the MMA GOAT. Phone Post 3.0

I think there are a group of people that just happen to see it differently than you do and don't value Anderson's accomplishments in the UFC has high as Fedor's accomplishments in Rings, Pride and Affliction. It's that simple and I don't think you can attribute it wholly to people being "refusing to think any different".

And as for the "defend his title another 10 times" comment, I would say that if you have to exaggerate to make a point, then it's probably not a point worth making. If Fedor or GSP had defended their belts 10 more times there would be some people would still have Anderson as the GOAT. It's no different for any of them.

At what point did Fedor "stop fighting top guys for a period of time"? Was it in 2007 when he fought Lindland and HMC, then in the next couple of years went on to finish 2 former UFC champions (both ranked top 5) inside a round and then polish off another top 10 guy in Rogers inside two? I don't understand.
6/19/13 2:40 PM
RollHighAllDay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plus if jones beats Anderson before he climbs the ranks, he doesn't steal the number one greatest rank, until he gets the experience the other greats have. He still needs a few more tests in his longevity. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 2:48 PM
Tilla

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - Fedor is the GOAT. He never had a fight like that Maia-Anderson shit. He came to fight and in his prime ran the best organization in the universe.

The cage is your world, This ring is the universe.

Pride Never Die.
Who did Fedor even train with compared to Silva? I remember Aleks, that one young guy he'd kick the shit out of daily, a bunch of students, and fucking monkey bars. Phone Post 3.0

Further solidify's the point of him being the baddest man on the planet yet didn't have a proper camp because he trained in school playgrounds!

No, fuck off...
6/19/13 2:50 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Anderson and Fedor are the only two logical choices at this point and they are far ahead of everyone else.

Either one is arguably goat. I have Anderson slightly ahead....but he is not done yet. Phone Post
6/19/13 2:55 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best way to solve it put them both in their primes and see who kicks who's ass. That's who's the greatest. Ill take the emperor. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 2:58 PM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets ask the Brazilian fans who they think the GOAT is.
Oh already been done, landslide for Fedor methinks.

Fedor has beat more UFC belt holders than anyone else, but he gets shit on because he's never fought in the UFC.

6/19/13 3:07 PM
eXtv

GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -

If you put yourself on the outside looking in, there's no denying this. Phone Post 3.0

"There is nothing denying my opinion. If you disagree with my personal interpretation, you're just an idiot."
The entire point of my statement is that if you took someone who didn't know either fighter and followed their careers they would say that Anderson is the GOAT.

"The entire point of my statement is that if you took someone who didn't know either fighter and followed their careers they would say that Anderson is the GOAT."

The only reason you think that is because you see Anderson as the GOAT. What examples do you have of presenting both fighters' legacies and resumes to someone completely ignorant of the sport and them picking Anderson? None. So the only reason you say that is because your personal interpretation of Anderson is him being the GOAT.

Many of Anderson's accomplishments over Fedor's have been outlined in this thread. Phone Post 3.0

And many of Fedor's accomplishments over Anderson's have been outlined in many other threads. What's your point? People value different accomplishments differently and it's still a subjective debate.

If Anderson went on to defend his title another 10 times there would still be many Fedor fans, most new hipster MMA fans, who would argue.

The fact that Anderson has been ranked in the top 10 for over 10 years, #1 in his division since 2006, undefeated in the UFC, and has 11 UFC belts in his possession... Come on.

Fedor stopped fighting top guys for a period of time, went back and did well, then started getting knocked out and submitted.

I think there are a group of people that just happen to see it differently than you do and don't value Anderson's accomplishments in the UFC has high as Fedor's accomplishments in Rings, Pride and Affliction. It's that simple and I don't think you can attribute it wholly to people being "refusing to think any different".

And as for the "defend his title another 10 times" comment, I would say that if you have to exaggerate to make a point, then it's probably not a point worth making. If Fedor or GSP had defended their belts 10 more times there would be some people would still have Anderson as the GOAT. It's no different for any of them.

At what point did Fedor "stop fighting top guys for a period of time"? Was it in 2007 when he fought Lindland and HMC, then in the next couple of years went on to finish 2 former UFC champions (both ranked top 5) inside a round and then polish off another top 10 guy in Rogers inside two? I don't understand.
Because I feel that you're playing semantics and are arguing in circles...

Let me ask you this,

Do you disagree with anything Rogan said in that video? Phone Post 3.0

I'm the one arguing in semantics? I asked you simple questions as to what period of time Fedor "stopped fighting top guys and then started losing" and disagreed with you that people only think Fedor is the GOAT because they're stubborn and holding onto the past.

I don't see anything semantic about what I said, and me agreeing or not with Rogan gushing in the video about how "spectacular" and "amazing" Anderson is, is not really relevant to this discussion.
6/19/13 3:08 PM
Idgetmyasskicked

I love Fedor and wish he was the best of all time but there is on element I have added to my criteria for greatest that I did not used to: How a fighter trains and adapts to the current climate. Fedor sadly seemed way to stubborn in his later years to change anything really. He is so gifted and talented and i can only imagine had he maintained the fire throughout his career but towards the end it was apparent fighting was NOT his priority and his skills and evolution stagnated. Clearly Anderson trains like an animal and does what it takes to improve his skills even at 38. His wrestling for example has improved over the years. Most notable was Anderson willingness to enlist the services of Steven Segal to gain that edge needed to cement a legacy as the mma goat! jk :)
6/19/13 3:20 PM
Archangel

Unwariestpickle - Lol at Fedor fans calling the competition that Silva faced Weak.

Zuluzinho
Choi Hong-man
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

For Christs sake he fought a guy with an 0-1 record. Yuji Nagata look it up!

If you compare top 10 wins Silva has more. PERIOD. No debate.

and Anderson had a loss to 4-7-1 guy. Who cares? you cant take anything away from either guy. you can argue either way all day. they were (are) the best of their time..as MMA evolves so will the fighters .you cant claim Anderson or Fedor would have beat Royce in 93 you could speculate but that doesn't prove a thing. Its all assumption

the greatest fighter used to mean the one who could beat ANYONE on any given day.
Until the fighters fight one another in a short time period and one man dominates i dont think there will be a greatest. but thats just my opinion
6/19/13 3:48 PM
sitchpack

Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

Anderson fights the likes of Bonnar (who is B-Level) and because he lets him tee-off on him, and misses, he is Neo's clone... Zzzz.

Anderson, IMO, he's got the same syndrome as Mayweather. Fight once in a blue moon and fight pointless fights and moan about stuff...

Irvin? Bonnar? Griffin? Cote? Thales (however you pronounce it)? Daft fights.

When Andy is on HE'S ON, but he makes too many excuses... "He's my friend" etc.

You shouldn't fight @ 205 if you won't fight the best there. That's why I hope GSP never takes this fight.

Fedor, for me, is the greatest.

Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!

Bones is great, but the dude IS a HW. Look at his fucking frame. Fedor was essentially a 185'er going against the best.

GSP is a better MMA'er than Anderson. He is more well rounded.

I've never seen the hype over Anderson.

You are an idiot. Phone Post
6/19/13 4:06 PM
Goonies Top Team

anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 4:07 PM
eXtv

GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -
GSP24 - 
eXtv -

Because I feel that you're playing semantics and are arguing in circles...

Let me ask you this,

Do you disagree with anything Rogan said in that video? Phone Post 3.0

I'm the one arguing in semantics? I asked you simple questions as to what period of time Fedor "stopped fighting top guys and then started losing" and disagreed with you that people only think Fedor is the GOAT because they're stubborn and holding onto the past.

I don't see anything semantic about what I said, and me agreeing or not with Rogan gushing in the video about how "spectacular" and "amazing" Anderson is, is not really relevant to this discussion.
History lesson, really?

Fedor beats Cro Cop.

Then goes on to fight Zulu, Coleman, Hunt, Lindland, and HMC. During this time his skills were diminishing somewhat.

He then destroys Sylvia but starts looking slower against Arlovski and Rogers. Wins regardless.

He was done fighting top fighters.

Yet he gets submitted by Werdum, TKO'd by Bigfoot, and KO'd by Hendo who was on his knees.

Fedor was probably best after he fought his last fight with Nogueria. When he fought Cro Cop, even though Cro Cop was a killer, he didn't look the same.

When I say semantics, I'm saying that you're playing on my words. Slightly avoiding my question by answering it differently than it is being asked.

For example, you refuse to say if you disagree with anything from the video involving Rogan.

You say that if Fedor or GSP was a champion in 10 more title defenses people would say Anderson is the greatest.

Sure, there would be.

Those people are the ones who think Fedor is the MMA GOAT. Uneducated. Phone Post 3.0

And your last line goes back to my original point.

Realise that this is a 100% subjective debate and not everybody's going to agree with you.
6/19/13 4:36 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RollHighAllDay - Plus if jones beats Anderson before he climbs the ranks, he doesn't steal the number one greatest rank, until he gets the experience the other greats have. He still needs a few more tests in his longevity. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think Jones has the durability to be GOAT. His toe almost fell off fighting Chael.
6/19/13 5:00 PM
larry bagina
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRMartin11

"he definitely is. Anyone who is huge NBA fan will know Jordan was overrated and given tons of advantages. They changed the rules of the game for him and refs were always on his side."

While I respect he rest of your points, this one is laughable... Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 5:22 PM
Logan131
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did any of you arguing about Silva and his legacy actually watched the video? The piece was about the greatest UFC fighter of all time, not about the greatest MMA fighter.
6/19/13 5:39 PM
orcus

Or just show them their fights. What is "prime" Fedor's highlight reel, bulling into guys with wild punches, taking them down, and punching them? You can see that in a million fights from a million fighters. Show someone Anderson at his best and their eyes will pop out of their heads at what he's doing in the ring.

6/19/13 5:40 PM
Bixby

Cool video until that trashy rock music started.

6/19/13 5:43 PM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly

Jon Jones is the current best.

Anderson is the all time goat, but i think Jon jones will surpass.

GSP is clear third.

Fedor 4th.
6/19/13 5:51 PM
Bixby

Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

Anderson fights the likes of Bonnar (who is B-Level) and because he lets him tee-off on him, and misses, he is Neo's clone... Zzzz.

Anderson, IMO, he's got the same syndrome as Mayweather. Fight once in a blue moon and fight pointless fights and moan about stuff...

You shouldn't fight @ 205 if you won't fight the best there. That's why I hope GSP never takes this fight.

Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!

Bones is great, but the dude IS a HW. Look at his fucking frame. Fedor was essentially a 185'er going against the best.

Fedor faked a hand injury many times when Cro Cop was really fucking dangerous and they were about set a date for their match.

Fedor beat many freak shows and IMO his only great wins are:

1. Prime Nog 3 times
2. Prime Cro Cop
3. A 2004 juiced up the grill coming of a miracle KO of Cro Cop Kevin Randleman
4. A 5 fight winning streak Arlovski

which are 6 fights out of 40!
6/19/13 5:53 PM
eXtv

Bixby - 

Fedor faked a hand injury many times when Cro Cop was really fucking dangerous and they were about set a date for their match.

1. Prime Nog 3 times
2. Prime Cro Cop

Faked a hand injury? Just shut the fuck up. You have nothing to show that Fedor did fake any hand injury. It's a fact that he broke his hands real bad against TK and his left hand was badly injured going into the Cro Cop fight (there is video footage of Bas telling Cro Cop about it shortly before their fight).

Stop being a slanderous cocksucker and show some respect.
6/19/13 6:24 PM
Bixby

eXtv - 
Bixby - 

1. Prime Nog 3 times
2. Prime Cro Cop

Faked a hand injury? Just shut the fuck up. You have nothing to show that Fedor did fake any hand injury. It's a fact that he broke his hands real bad against TK and his left hand was badly injured going into the Cro Cop fight (there is video footage of Bas telling Cro Cop about it shortly before their fight).

Stop being a slanderous cocksucker and show some respect.

Listen kiddo...pretty suspicious seeing Fedor with a wrapped up hand saying his hand will be ok but just after Mirko demolishes someone he backs out of the fight.

The fight was being talked about in 2003. It took them 2 fucking years to make the fight when both were winning?

Fedor watched the Alex and Magomedov fight real fucking close hoping CC would lose...
6/19/13 6:36 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
He's an unbelievable fighter. I don't believe in GOATS because of how young the Sport is, but he's definitely one of the greats. He's a Legendary, HOF, Pioneer. Weidman better be ready.
6/19/13 6:41 PM
PyleDrive Me, I Love It Baby
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla -
rMar89 - 
Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

You're loco. Phone Post

It's my opinion.
This is one of those few wrong opinions.

I the words of Neil De Grasse Tyson :
Science is right whether you believe in it or not.
Same goes with Anderson Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.