UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/20/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jaybrone
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/13 10:55 AM
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0

You mean like the large MW in Hendo and Sonnen or LHW's Bonnar, Griffin, Irvin?

Don't be a hater just appreciate his greatness.

6/20/13 10:57 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boise State never loses either, it's all about competition.

Anderson Silva might be the most talented of all time but I look at the degree of difficulty being lower than that of GSP and Jones, Weidman will help his case though
6/20/13 10:59 AM
Jaybrone
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anthonyshogun - 
omega 2013 -
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0
That's why no one will take your opinion seriously. Phone Post
First of all fedor is the consensus goat. So yeah , heaps of people would agree with my opinion. Secondly , who gives two fucks what you think Phone Post 3.0

Fedor WAS the consensus GOAT 4 or 5 years ago. No where near a consensus now and if it was polled now amongst MMA writers I think Anderson wins that poll.

6/20/13 11:03 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone -
anthonyshogun - 
omega 2013 -
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0
That's why no one will take your opinion seriously. Phone Post
First of all fedor is the consensus goat. So yeah , heaps of people would agree with my opinion. Secondly , who gives two fucks what you think Phone Post 3.0

Fedor WAS the consensus GOAT 4 or 5 years ago. No where near a consensus now and if it was polled now amongst MMA writers I think Anderson wins that poll.

Run the poll then. Lets see how it turns out Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:25 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best video ever made. And notice Rogans quote in the beginning. If a blue namer would do me the honor.

http://youtu.be/lVVrNOQtlzY Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:36 AM
easedel

Can't have a GOAT in a sport with different weight classes.
6/20/13 12:04 PM
Bofbro
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Best video ever made. And notice Rogans quote in the beginning. If a blue namer would do me the honor.

Amazing vid. Fedor before he found god was an unbeatable killer. No fighter on the planet would of beat him in his prime...Silva would not of lasted a round imo.

Remember this is just an opinion.
6/20/13 12:15 PM
CLINTK9
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ayk07 -  Trust me I an a fan of Fedor and would love to say that he is #1 but I can't. Anderson is unreal, Fedor did not tool and play with his opponents like that. He is an animal and his opponents looked like his toys to ko. Also he is almost 38. I know I will miss Anderson a lot more than Fedor. He is a special fighter. Phone Post

to be fair, toying with Maia, Lietes, Cote, Bonner, etc is not like fighting or toying with Heath Herring, Semmy Schilt, Prime Nog, Coleman, Arlovski, etc. Anderson would NOT be able to toy with these guys either.
6/20/13 12:17 PM
CLINTK9
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eljamaiquino - 
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Again if the fought in Pride since they're around the same age. Who would of kicked who's ass? That ends the argument and it ends with Fedor respectively beating Anderon. To me that is who's better Phone Post 3.0
In a GOAT discussion "who would have beat who" is not the be all end all.

Honestly, prime vs prime, there is no guarantee of who wins. Fedor might be the slight favorite, but I don't see either as a lock to win. Phone Post
He would punch and clutch him just like Nog and get him down and pride GnP him. Silva couldn't handle Chaels closing speed on takedowns, so now he's handling Fedor's. Anderson is a beast and when he's gone he'll get clowned by all the new fan breed and get disrespected and downplayed like Fedor. I mean the dude ruled the division where head can get knocked off at anytime for 10 yrs. Phone Post 3.0
Mws move faster than hws. Fedors speed is only in comparison to hws. When he fought a smaller lhw/mw, he got KTFO, remember? Phone Post

that was ONE frikin Fight he lost like that, Remember! and Hendo's been known to slip in those short ko punches, just ask Renzo and Bustamante.
6/20/13 12:19 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

Bofbro -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Best video ever made. And notice Rogans quote in the beginning. If a blue namer would do me the honor.

Amazing vid. Fedor before he found god was an unbeatable killer. No fighter on the planet would of beat him in his prime...Silva would not of lasted a round imo.

Remember this is just an opinion.
Don't forget 10 min round as well. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 12:19 PM
LyotoBundy
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 -
eljamaiquino - 
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Again if the fought in Pride since they're around the same age. Who would of kicked who's ass? That ends the argument and it ends with Fedor respectively beating Anderon. To me that is who's better Phone Post 3.0
In a GOAT discussion "who would have beat who" is not the be all end all.

Honestly, prime vs prime, there is no guarantee of who wins. Fedor might be the slight favorite, but I don't see either as a lock to win. Phone Post
He would punch and clutch him just like Nog and get him down and pride GnP him. Silva couldn't handle Chaels closing speed on takedowns, so now he's handling Fedor's. Anderson is a beast and when he's gone he'll get clowned by all the new fan breed and get disrespected and downplayed like Fedor. I mean the dude ruled the division where head can get knocked off at anytime for 10 yrs. Phone Post 3.0
Mws move faster than hws. Fedors speed is only in comparison to hws. When he fought a smaller lhw/mw, he got KTFO, remember? Phone Post

that was ONE frikin Fight he lost like that, Remember! and Hendo's been known to slip in those short ko punches, just ask Renzo and Bustamante.
Why don't you ask Anderson too? He slipped those punches before choking Hendo out. Phone Post
6/20/13 12:24 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -
omega 2013 - 
Bofbro - Lets ask the Brazilian fans who they think the GOAT is.
Oh already been done, landslide for Fedor methinks.

Fedor has beat more UFC belt holders than anyone else, but he gets shit on because he's never fought in the UFC.

He gets shit on because he never fought anyone HOLDING the ufc belt. Phone Post

And Usain Bolt never won in the Special Olympics.

What's your point?
Point is fedor ducked the ufc. Fact. Phone Post

No it's not a fact, it's another uneducated post.

Dana White just recently said he was in direct talks with Fedor to fight Brock, until his father died. Do people who are ducking enter negotiations?
6/20/13 12:40 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
disbeliever - 
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -
omega 2013 - 

Fedor has beat more UFC belt holders than anyone else, but he gets shit on because he's never fought in the UFC.

What's your point?

Dana White just recently said he was in direct talks with Fedor to fight Brock, until his father died. Do people who are ducking enter negotiations?

actually it is a fact. we've seen this dance for the better part of 6 years. it's simply a smoke screen by fedor/his management to keep his name relevant. if you don't realize this by now, you're an uneduacated fedor fan.

Amazing how much hate you hold
6/20/13 12:59 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

disbeliever -
omega 2013 - 
disbeliever - 
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -
omega 2013 - 

What's your point?

actually it is a fact. we've seen this dance for the better part of 6 years. it's simply a smoke screen by fedor/his management to keep his name relevant. if you don't realize this by now, you're an uneduacated fedor fan.

Amazing how much hate you hold
Much angers him Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 1:17 PM
TommyToeHold
1060 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got nothing to add to the debate here because I think you can't really compare apples and oranges and I'm not into the GOAT stuff, but one thing that has always struck me about Anderson Silva is when he gets into the 'I'm-annoyed-you're-still-trying-to-hit-me' mode. It doesn't happen every fight, and I don't know if it has to do with that fighter being disrespectful to Silva so he wants to humiliate them, or if during the course of the fight, having got a feel for his opponent, he realizes that they are not on his level, but it's like watching a cat knock around a mouse. It's shocking to me as a hardcore fan, and my friends who don't normally watch fights go crazy when it happens. Joe said it best: it's like a movie or something. Say what you want about competition, but anyone who is competing against Anderson Silva is a world class fighter to have even got to that point, so to see him play them like a harp is something I don't expect we'll see again for a long time, even from fighters as dominant as Jones. Now maybe that's just Anderson's personality, and JBJ/GSP/Fedor/Jesus could do the same thing, but that complete lack of concern for what his opponent is throwing at him will always be something that, in my mind, differentiates Silva from anyone else I've watched fight. Simply incredible.

6/20/13 2:12 PM
downthepines
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/13 2:18 PM
Hendo should have stuck with his round one game plan for the remainder of the Anderson fight, He didn't.... Sonnen owned Anderson in the stand up and the ground, he has terrible submission defence, those are the most skilled grappler/wrestler fighters that Anderson has fought, I know Anderson is 16-0 in historically the weakest division in the ufc imo, Anderson hasn't fought any extremely dangerous opponents in his run other than Belfort, Henderson, chael, some other quality fighters, but who else is a top level all time great sytle fighter??? Okami???? Anderson is an incredible fighter, But there are ways to beat Anderson, he has for the most part had favorable matchups, Mind you Anderson has basically fought everyone that he should have fought. I think its just a relatively weak division, Having said that, andy may have walked through everyone minus jones at 205 since he walked into the ufc. Weidman is really the most well rounded dangerous opponent in the ufc in ages, forrest, bonnar, cote, leites, Irvin, Marquart(pretty well rounded) Are not all off the charts fighters...Hate all you want, But he certainly hasn't had the hardest fight schedule, and before that it wasn't any better.....He selects easier fights at 205 as opposed to the top of the division. The Zuffa machine is at an all time high.........I am very interested in the Weidman fight

And when Anderson steps into the octagon against Weidman, there may be a 4th person in the octagon....Father time, that is a factor no one can predict, but the end is on the horizon imo, goat or not
6/20/13 2:39 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Fedor but how can you be the greatest if you lose.. even against smaller opponents (Hendo) like Fedor did.

Anderson is easily GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 2:39 PM
disbeliever

For the record I think Anderson is GOAT of MMA
6/20/13 3:01 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightharder - 
I love Fedor but how can you be the greatest if you lose.. even against smaller opponents (Hendo) like Fedor did.

Now this is sarcasm I can appresicate.
6/20/13 3:20 PM
Lazer MMA

fightharder - 

If you are going by losses AS's are worse by far looking at whom he lost to. BTW did you see the size difference in the fight with Chonan FFS??

6/20/13 4:00 PM
chaplinshouse
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 - 
Ayk07 -  Trust me I an a fan of Fedor and would love to say that he is #1 but I can't. Anderson is unreal, Fedor did not tool and play with his opponents like that. He is an animal and his opponents looked like his toys to ko. Also he is almost 38. I know I will miss Anderson a lot more than Fedor. He is a special fighter. Phone Post

to be fair, toying with Maia, Lietes, Cote, Bonner, etc is not like fighting or toying with Heath Herring, Semmy Schilt, Prime Nog, Coleman, Arlovski, etc. Anderson would NOT be able to toy with these guys either.

agree.  opponents mean everything.  he only toys when he's got a clear advantage vs an intimidated opponent

6/20/13 4:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Lazer MMA -
fightharder - 

If you are going by losses AS's are worse by far looking at whom he lost to. BTW did you see the size difference in the fight with Chonan FFS??

They are in no way worse by far.

They are just different scenarios in very different careers.

Anderson was a MT striker who stepped into MMA and had to evolve the other disciplines. He lost early in his career, and then peaked.

Fedor was a Sambo expert which is pretty much already covering all the disciplines of MMA. He lost at the tail end of his career when the sport and athletes evolved past him.

They are just totally different scenarios. Phone Post
6/20/13 4:12 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

RobinVanRooney - I agree with everything Joe said.

Especially the 2nd place isn't even close.

Lol @ people saying Fedor? Are you guys trolling or what?

Fedora biggest win please? Nog I think it is?

Rest are Japanese cans and freak fights, not to mentioned 90% of his fights was in a org that was notorious for fixed fights and no drug testing policy's. the other 10% he lost in America.

Before you give me shit for this post at least make a argument. Phone Post 3.0
You deserve shit for that post. Calling everyone but Nog "Japanese cans" is all anyone needs to see to know you're an ignorant asshat. Phone Post
6/20/13 4:28 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
RobinVanRooney - I agree with everything Joe said.

Especially the 2nd place isn't even close.

Lol @ people saying Fedor? Are you guys trolling or what?

Fedora biggest win please? Nog I think it is?

Rest are Japanese cans and freak fights, not to mentioned 90% of his fights was in a org that was notorious for fixed fights and no drug testing policy's. the other 10% he lost in America.

Before you give me shit for this post at least make a argument. Phone Post 3.0
You deserve shit for that post. Calling everyone but Nog "Japanese cans" is all anyone needs to see to know you're an ignorant asshat. Phone Post
Wasn't Silva 3-2 with that Japanese can organization? And those two losses were to against what race of fighters? Help me I don't recall. Anyways there is your point. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 4:29 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that Anderson is the GOAT, but I disagree when Joe says that there's nobody who even comes close.

I think that Anderson is the most spectacular and awe-inspiring fighter in MMA history, and because of that I think people tend to overstate his greatness. People watch the Griffin and Belfort fights and they think the guy is a god. At the end of the day, a win is a win, and I would argue that GSP has beaten better competition more consistently. I would also argue that Fedor's winning streak, while not as impressive as Silva's, is somewhat comparable. I'm not trying to undermine his talent or anything, but I think when you look at his career from a resume standpoint, the gap between him and Fedor and him and GSP isn't as big as people seem to think.

I think Anderson is the GOAT by a pretty clear margin, but Fedor and GSP are still in his league.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.