UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/20/13 5:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs -
CLINTK9 - 
crumbs - Fedor and Anderson both relatively the same age (actually Fedor is younger ), both amazing careers.

It just that ones Had 3 fight losing streak, while during that same time the other has just kept winning.

Anderson Silva, the greatest....... so far.

and one lost a few times early in his career when Fedor did not.

you must admit, a 3 fight losing streak during the prime of your career (i'll put it another way, going a whole year without winning ), would be considered more detrimental to your legacy/GOAT considerations, then sporadic losses during the beginning of your career.

Same shit happened to Ali. When your speed goes it goes what can you do. Fedor has giving you enough material you can look at. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 5:46 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can just see Joe and Dana laughing about all the rukus these discussions cause each time. I think people need to get over that this subject is about as subjective as it gets and its a constantly evolving discussion as well. But these things never end well on here.
6/20/13 5:48 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

I agree that Anderson is the GOAT, but I disagree when Joe says that there's nobody who even comes close.

I think that Anderson is the most spectacular and awe-inspiring fighter in MMA history, and because of that I think people tend to overstate his greatness. People watch the Griffin and Belfort fights and they think the guy is a god. At the end of the day, a win is a win, and I would argue that GSP has beaten better competition more consistently. I would also argue that Fedor's winning streak, while not as impressive as Silva's, is somewhat comparable. I'm not trying to undermine his talent or anything, but I think when you look at his career from a resume standpoint, the gap between him and Fedor and him and GSP isn't as big as people seem to think.

I think Anderson is the GOAT by a pretty clear margin, but Fedor and GSP are still in his league.

Good post! Im really just popping in to tell ya I hope you've got some good names thought up....Not that it'll matter!
But times ticking for one of us! Phone Post
6/20/13 5:52 PM
crumbs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 
crumbs - Fedor and Anderson both relatively the same age (actually Fedor is younger ), both amazing careers.

It just that ones Had 3 fight losing streak, while during that same time the other has just kept winning.

you must admit, a 3 fight losing streak during the prime of your career (i'll put it another way, going a whole year without winning ), would be considered more detrimental to your legacy/GOAT considerations, then sporadic losses during the beginning of your career.

That wasn't even close to Fedor's prime.

really, cause that would mean Anderson was not in his prime either at that time, as Fedor is younger then Anderson.

so while Fedor was on his 3 fight losing streak(past his prime), Anderson was Front face KO'ing TRT monsters, past him prime !!

Amazing. truly the Greatest.
6/20/13 6:01 PM
CLINTK9
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 

IMO Fedor's prime was 2001-2007.

and the guys he lost to:

Hendo = SF LHW champ who came to ufc and worked his way to title shot w/Bones.

Bigfoot = just had a HW title shot.

Werdum is gonna get a HW title shot soon and the guy everyone says should be fighting Cain.

they all are tough and went on to bigger, better things.
6/20/13 6:11 PM
CLINTK9
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - 
crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 

really, cause that would mean Anderson was not in his prime either at that time, as Fedor is younger then Anderson.

so while Fedor was on his 3 fight losing streak(past his prime), Anderson was Front face KO'ing TRT monsters, past him prime !!

AND while anderson was getting beat by jap cans, Fedor was dominating the HW division. AMAZING. TRUELY THE GREATEST!

6/20/13 6:14 PM
CLINTK9

TommyToeHold - 
CLINTK9 - 
TommyToeHold - 

I've got nothing to add to the debate here because I think you can't really compare apples and oranges and I'm not into the GOAT stuff, but one thing that has always struck me about Anderson Silva is when he gets into the 'I'm-annoyed-you're-still-trying-to-hit-me' mode. It doesn't happen every fight, and I don't know if it has to do with that fighter being disrespectful to Silva so he wants to humiliate them, or if during the course of the fight, having got a feel for his opponent, he realizes that they are not on his level, but it's like watching a cat knock around a mouse. It's shocking to me as a hardcore fan, and my friends who don't normally watch fights go crazy when it happens. Joe said it best: it's like a movie or something. Say what you want about competition, but anyone who is competing against Anderson Silva is a world class fighter to have even got to that point, so to see him play them like a harp is something I don't expect we'll see again for a long time, even from fighters as dominant as Jones. Now maybe that's just Anderson's personality, and JBJ/GSP/Fedor/Jesus could do the same thing, but that complete lack of concern for what his opponent is throwing at him will always be something that, in my mind, differentiates Silva from anyone else I've watched fight. Simply incredible.

you just described Fedor. a guy who doesnt care what his opponents throw at him and actually fights his opponents to their strengths (nog in his gaurd, cro-cop standing up). how can you see that in Anderson and not Fedor?

I agree with you 100%, I just mean the way that Anderson goes about it, almost like he's toying with people. It's humilating almost. I've never felt that way watching a Fedor fight. He fought through his opponents strengths, but I never thought afterward, that just seemed downright humilating for his opponent. I don't think that was Fedor's personality. Again, I'm not saying Silva is better than Fedor because of that. Like I said, I don't think those comparisons can be made. I don't know who the GOAT is, I just know there are three or four guys that seem head-and-shoulders better than most.

I agree, but lets be honest here. Anderson would not be able to toy with Semmy Schilt or Heath Herring. we have to look at he level of comp when saying this. guys lie Cote, Maia, Leites HAVE ABSOLUTLY Nothing for Anderson and were joke defenses. when they cant get a TD Andy gets to do whatever he wants to them,, JUST like fedor would vs that type of competition.
6/20/13 7:43 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - 
crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 

Everyone's prime is different, bud.

Mark Hunt started a 6 fight losing streak at the age of 32, and achieved a 4 fight winning streak against good competition at the age of 39. So using your logic he was in his prime when he got flatlined by Melvin Manhoef (a middleweight), and was out of his prime when he knocked out Struve.

6/20/13 8:01 PM
Archangel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

y'all do realize this is the same Joe Rogan that used to spout that Brock Lesnar was the greatest fighter and the baddest man on the planet ?
6/20/13 8:04 PM
Lazer MMA

Has a word about JBJ been posted in this thread?

Just saying

Bump in 2015
6/20/13 9:47 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_nightkap - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

I agree that Anderson is the GOAT, but I disagree when Joe says that there's nobody who even comes close.

I think that Anderson is the most spectacular and awe-inspiring fighter in MMA history, and because of that I think people tend to overstate his greatness. People watch the Griffin and Belfort fights and they think the guy is a god. At the end of the day, a win is a win, and I would argue that GSP has beaten better competition more consistently. I would also argue that Fedor's winning streak, while not as impressive as Silva's, is somewhat comparable. I'm not trying to undermine his talent or anything, but I think when you look at his career from a resume standpoint, the gap between him and Fedor and him and GSP isn't as big as people seem to think.

I think Anderson is the GOAT by a pretty clear margin, but Fedor and GSP are still in his league.

Good post! Im really just popping in to tell ya I hope you've got some good names thought up....Not that it'll matter!
But times ticking for one of us! Phone Post

Ticking on you buddy.

I hope.

6/20/13 9:58 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Lazer MMA -
fightharder - 
anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0
I love Fedor but how can you be the greatest if you lose.. even against smaller opponents (Hendo) like Fedor did.

Anderson is easily GOAT. Phone Post 3.0

If you are going by losses AS's are worse by far looking at whom he lost to. BTW did you see the size difference in the fight with Chonan FFS??

They are in no way worse by far.

They are just different scenarios in very different careers.

Anderson was a MT striker who stepped into MMA and had to evolve the other disciplines. He lost early in his career, and then peaked.

Fedor was a Sambo expert which is pretty much already covering all the disciplines of MMA. He lost at the tail end of his career when the sport and athletes evolved past him.

They are just totally different scenarios. Phone Post

He started losing at the same time he faltered in Combat Sambo. That's only been pointed out about a hundred times.
6/20/13 10:08 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - 
crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 

And Nog looks about 10 years older than Werdum.
6/20/13 10:32 PM
CLINTK9

MMA Lives Here - 
CLINTK9 -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
CLINTK9 -
RobinVanRooney - I agree with everything Joe said.

Especially the 2nd place isn't even close.

Lol @ people saying Fedor? Are you guys trolling or what?

Fedora biggest win please? Nog I think it is?

Rest are Japanese cans and freak fights, not to mentioned 90% of his fights was in a org that was notorious for fixed fights and no drug testing policy's. the other 10% he lost in America.

Before you give me shit for this post at least make a argument. Phone Post 3.0

LOL and Anderson's biggest win is Hendo, then Belfort who'm just about every top guy beat. you have Franklin and Sonnen, then the list starts looking weak. Maia, Okami, Lietes, Lutter, Cote, Irvin, etc.
Skimmed over sakurai, Newton, and Murray. Phone Post

yes forgot sakurai, I dont consider Newton and Murray to be THAT GREAT of wins like Franklin and Hendo.

Newton was near the top of the WW rankings when he fought Andy. Had just lost the UFC WW strap to Matt Hughes and armbarred Pele. Carlos lost a split decision to Hendo btw. One of Dan's many razor thin decision victories

Lee Murray was 8-1 and very highly-rated. He had just KTFO Pele, who was an elite striker, before Andy lit him up for three rounds Phone Post

I know who they are and what they've done, i tried to capitalize THAT GREAT as meaning as big as beating Franklin for the UFC Strap or one of the top 10 goats Hendo. good wins for sure though.
6/21/13 2:55 AM
sekundarburnes

Tilla - 
rMar89 - 
Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

Anderson fights the likes of Bonnar (who is B-Level) and because he lets him tee-off on him, and misses, he is Neo's clone... Zzzz.

Anderson, IMO, he's got the same syndrome as Mayweather. Fight once in a blue moon and fight pointless fights and moan about stuff...

Irvin? Bonnar? Griffin? Cote? Thales (however you pronounce it)? Daft fights.

When Andy is on HE'S ON, but he makes too many excuses... "He's my friend" etc.

You shouldn't fight @ 205 if you won't fight the best there. That's why I hope GSP never takes this fight.

Fedor, for me, is the greatest.

Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!

Bones is great, but the dude IS a HW. Look at his fucking frame. Fedor was essentially a 185'er going against the best.

GSP is a better MMA'er than Anderson. He is more well rounded.

I've never seen the hype over Anderson.

You're loco. Phone Post

It's my opinion.

man.
6/21/13 3:31 AM
idsmashit

Fedor ducked the UFC id say its a fact. He always said nothing and let Vadim Finkelstein decide. He's the only world class fighter who didnt care about fighting the best. Hendo destroyed him a middleweight.
6/21/13 5:50 AM
CLINTK9

RobinVanRooney - 
CLINTK9 -
crumbs - 
CLINTK9 - 

IMO Fedor's prime was 2001-2007.

and the guys he lost to:

Hendo = SF LHW champ who came to ufc and worked his way to title shot w/Bones.

Bigfoot = just had a HW title shot.

Werdum is gonna get a HW title shot soon and the guy everyone says should be fighting Cain.

they all are tough and went on to bigger, better things.
How well did Bigfoot do in the HW title shot sir? Phone Post 3.0

he got mauled by the toughest fighter on the planet right now. but he worked his way up to that shot. since were playing smart ass games, what did the guys Anderson lost to become or do after they beat him?
6/21/13 5:51 AM
CLINTK9

idsmashit - Fedor ducked the UFC id say its a fact. He always said nothing and let Vadim Finkelstein decide. He's the only world class fighter who didnt care about fighting the best. Hendo destroyed him a middleweight.

a clip ko is getting destroyed these days eh? and what weight did Hendo leave SF champ as? and what weight class is fighting in now?
6/21/13 6:36 AM
panthonyjr

ShawnTheBadger -

Nobody at any weight-class has ever "made it look easy" like Anderson has against so many opponents at two (2) weight-classes. 

Other fighters have fought over multiple weight classes (Hendo, Edgar, BJ), or as the smaller-guy in a bigger division (Fedor, Hendo, Edgar, BJ), or are so dominant in their division that many fans clamor for them to go up (Bones, BJ).

However, not a single one of those other bad-asses do what Anderson does, which is make their opponents appear to be clumsy, fumbling, slow, awkward and unskilled amateurs.  It is uncanny, mesmerizing, nigh-other-worldly and it unequivocably separates Anderson Silva from every other mixed-martial-artist on planet Earth.

Every time Anderson steps in the ring, magic can and often does happen.

This. I will never understand how Anderson Silva is not the undisputed GOAT, but hey, opinions are like assholes ... Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 8:42 AM
MrColdCock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post
6/21/13 12:35 PM
CLINTK9

omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -  Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post

doesn't matter when you don't fight the best competition available. only 1/2 the top level fighters were in pride as evidenced by performances in the ring/cage. he only faced 1/2 the top guys in pride. werdum,kharitonov,barnett,ricco never got a sniff. and before you say "they didn't earn a shot" consider zulu,tk,choi...

geez, another one of these tards.

Choi & Zulu were NYE freak show fights the japs loved. TK was a rematch that Fedor wanted just to clear that up.

werdum wasnt doin shit then but getting beat by
Nog & Kharitonov to get that shot. Ricco had ONE good win in pride then went back to ufc. he wasnt even a pride fighter at the time and was a ufc fighter since 2001. and had losses prior and after the Nog pride fight.

Kharitonov had a chance but lost to Nog in the tourney. wish they would have fought, but it doesnt tarnish Fedor's legacy because they didnt. just another guy Fedor would have beat back then.

I'm not even go to Barnett, your an asshat for even mentionng him. HE Blew his chance 3 TIMES!

when it was 2002-2006 all the best were in Pride excpt Alrloski, Sylvia, couture. Fedor beat two of them.

and I'm sorry, but Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Sonnen even is fighting the BEST? OK! Sonnen's one his best wins and most on here complained he was even getting a shot. and like fighting Weidman who has EXACTLY 2 DECENT, not Huge, but decent wins. LOL thats fighting the best?
6/21/13 12:40 PM
CLINTK9

panthonyjr - 
ShawnTheBadger -

Nobody at any weight-class has ever "made it look easy" like Anderson has against so many opponents at two (2) weight-classes. 

Other fighters have fought over multiple weight classes (Hendo, Edgar, BJ), or as the smaller-guy in a bigger division (Fedor, Hendo, Edgar, BJ), or are so dominant in their division that many fans clamor for them to go up (Bones, BJ).

However, not a single one of those other bad-asses do what Anderson does, which is make their opponents appear to be clumsy, fumbling, slow, awkward and unskilled amateurs.  It is uncanny, mesmerizing, nigh-other-worldly and it unequivocably separates Anderson Silva from every other mixed-martial-artist on planet Earth.

Every time Anderson steps in the ring, magic can and often does happen.

This. I will never understand how Anderson Silva is not the undisputed GOAT, but hey, opinions are like assholes ... Phone Post 3.0

and how would Fedor look fighting Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Bonner?

and how would Anderson look fighting Semmy Schilt, Heath Herring, Arlovski, Coleman, Randleman, Fujita?

Anderson would not be playing matrix games with that kinda comp.
6/21/13 12:43 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^Great post, Clint. But I think you're last paragraph may be a bit too much in the other direction.

For 10 years, Fedor was the best heavyweight on Earth. I honestly don't know how anyone could dispute that. Is there any argument that there was a better heavyweight?! Of course not. At no point were Sergei, Randy, Tim, or Andre better. And Fedor proved he was the best by beating Nog, Cro Cop, Tim, and Andre. Period.

Similarly, has anyone doubted that Anderson was the best 185 pounder in the world since he put his first beating on Franklin. I don't think we should employ double standards. For the Cote's and Liete's of the world, there is Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, and Vitor Belfort. It's like the Chois and Zulus juxtaposed against Nog and Cro Cop.

The fact is, both guys fought the best and destroyed them. They are the best.

Regardless of whether or not they have had moments of weak competition, was there ever really a doubt that they are the best at their weight during their prime?
6/21/13 12:51 PM
bjws

Tilla - Give it a rest, Joe.

Anderson fights the likes of Bonnar (who is B-Level) and because he lets him tee-off on him, and misses, he is Neo's clone... Zzzz.

Anderson, IMO, he's got the same syndrome as Mayweather. Fight once in a blue moon and fight pointless fights and moan about stuff...

Irvin? Bonnar? Griffin? Cote? Thales (however you pronounce it)? Daft fights.

When Andy is on HE'S ON, but he makes too many excuses... "He's my friend" etc.

You shouldn't fight @ 205 if you won't fight the best there. That's why I hope GSP never takes this fight.

Fedor, for me, is the greatest.

Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!

Bones is great, but the dude IS a HW. Look at his fucking frame. Fedor was essentially a 185'er going against the best.

GSP is a better MMA'er than Anderson. He is more well rounded.

I've never seen the hype over Anderson.

You're crazy man. I personally think GSP would win this fight by control. But to say that you have never seen the hype over Silva makes no sense. It's not hype, it's reality that he has won every fight in his UFC career. It is reality that he has gone up to 205 to save cards for the company and fans and won while making it look easy. It is reality that he is the MW GOAT. It's all real and we get to witness it. Why bother being negative over something that is crystal clear the truth?
6/21/13 1:07 PM
crumbs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor had a great career, but Anderson with his no 3-fight losing streak, would be slightly better cause of that. they are so close in credentials( both have faced weak competition, both have faced great competition, both are same age, both had/have amazing winning streaks), they are so close that it would be something so simple as a 3 fight losing streak that would tip the scales barely in Andersons favor.

dont give me that shit "he wasnt in his prime" when he went on his 3 fight losing streak. he just came off destroying Tim, and one of the most amazing counter flying knee KOs in history, and another brilliant KO of Rogers, and everyone at that point calling him the greatest ever. and most people consider 25-early 30s your athletic prime, not just pick the best part of your career and call it a day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.