UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/21/13 7:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - I always thought that Randy was the toughest match up for Fedor that he never faced.

That's not to say he ducked Randy or that he wouldn't have won. This is a guy who destroyed Cro Cop standing and battered Nog on the ground. But it was a type match up that we didn't see. (Same reason I'm so interested to see Anderson against Weidman. It's not that he won't win. I'm just curious to see how/if he wins).

You're right about straight clinch. Fact is, He did grab the ropes against Lindland. In the straight clinch, Randy would have been superior. (Did anybody ever beat Randy in the straight clinch).

At the same time, his strike-->clinch/td transition game was so sick. It was so good you have to wonder whether TDD is even part of the equation. Honestly, Mino and Cro Cop never even had time to sprawl because they were just swept off their feet off the punches.

So you've got the guy who boxed up Chuck Liddel into takedowns against the guy who kickboxed up Mino and Cro Cop into takedowns. Would have been a great fight.

I've got Fedor. But I'm not sure how.

Cool story bro......seriously, my thoughts exact incl Andy/Weidman, im excited about that fight, not sure why so many are complaining about the wolf ticket thing, Weidman is a very good stylistic matchup for anyone really and one that Anderson hasnt faced before. Chael to him was kinda like Coleman/Randleman for Fedor, they are all great wrestlers but were always sub-prone.

Randy and Fedor were about the same size too. Remember that photoshoot they did for a videogame or something when Randy tried to get the fight outside UFC?
6/21/13 7:30 PM
wiggum
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^Which brings us back to this topic: After Weidman, will there be any real style Anderson hasn't fought?
6/21/13 7:30 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw, as for my pick with both Fedor and Randy in their primes, i think the cage/ring would have made a significant difference in this one.

I always thought it was a pickem. Either Randy gets the td and grinds to a UD or a cut TKO or Fedor simply catches Randy on his feet at any point in the fight.
6/21/13 7:35 PM
Wasa-B

wiggum - ^^Which brings us back to this topic: After Weidman, will there be any real style Anderson hasn't fought?

No. I mean you can knit pick into minor details like he hasnt fought someone like Jones or Shogun or GSP but really, he would have taken on all styles, as much as anyone should be required as a great one anyhow.

He would have faced a rounded wrestler in Weidman, another rounded type in Nate, diff BJJ styles like Lutter, Maia and also Newton. Striker like Vitor. Wrestler like Chael, another strong wrestler with better sub defense in Okami. Lets not forget Sakurai who was not only one of the P4P best and undefeated at the time but one of the most rounded guys too. And then he's faced bigger guys too at LHW for the size thing.

6/21/13 7:36 PM
Wasa-B

And i didnt even include a wrestler with KO power like Hendo and another big, rounded MW like Franklin.
6/21/13 7:40 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman ain't beating the #2 GOAT I see him catching a knee on a clinch break ala Aldo/Mendes. Even if he were to lose who wouldn't wanna see him fight St. Pierre he's earned it and its still a fight I'd be interested in. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 10:40 PM
MrColdCock
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Randy's best (only) chance is in the cage w/elbows. I can't call it a pickem fight though. Fedor doesn't just have a punchers chance here. If he ends up on top, he likely wins. Randy didn't survive being under Barnett or Ricco. Fedor's GNP was superior to both of them and his top control was excellent as well. Fedor at some time in this fight ends up on top and it's game over IMO. Phone Post
6/22/13 1:39 AM
MrColdCock
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Really? In pretty sure I saw Nog split the takedowns with both Ricco and Barnett and wasn't anywhere near taking Fedor down in three fights. Fedor also took Cro Cop down more times in 1 fight then Barnett did in three. As time has gone on, Fedor's "wrestling" has gone from overrated to underrated.

Not that it really matters anyway. If you had seen Randy vs Josh or Ricco, you would understand that. Watch those fights and then come back. Phone Post
6/22/13 1:43 AM
Emperor Nero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know what is the real greatest of all time, a lot of chicks don't even give the header, and the ones who do, most of them are really bad at it, and even of the few who are good, most of them can't suck the balls. The best is when you get one who really knows how to work the balls. Yeah, that's the greatest. Also, I liked the video.
6/22/13 2:06 AM
MrColdCock

Emperor Nero - You know what is the real greatest of all time, a lot of chicks don't even give the header, and the ones who do, most of them are really bad at it, and even of the few who are good, most of them can't suck the balls. The best is when you get one who really knows how to work the balls. Yeah, that's the greatest. Also, I liked the video.
I wouldn't know.

Do you even UG? Phone Post
6/22/13 2:11 AM
MrColdCock

Off topic, but if you look at the time Between Fedor's first fight in Pride until his loss to Werdum, over 8 years he went 22-0. Randy's HW record during this same time was 2-3.

The clamouring for this fight was during a very small window. I think more people were looking for a Wand vs Randy fight then a Fedor vs Randy fight. Phone Post
6/22/13 2:36 AM
sparkuri
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor is the GOAT.
Jones has a chance, but we're years away.
Andy kicks ass within a twenty pound range.
Fedor is a shorter, fatter guy that basically said "bring on the world", then bowed to it when he was done smashing it. Phone Post
6/22/13 6:58 AM
Lazer MMA

wiggum - I always thought that Randy was the toughest match up for Fedor that he never faced.

That's not to say he ducked Randy or that he wouldn't have won. This is a guy who destroyed Cro Cop standing and battered Nog on the ground. But it was a type match up that we didn't see. (Same reason I'm so interested to see Anderson against Weidman. It's not that he won't win. I'm just curious to see how/if he wins).

You're right about straight clinch. Fact is, He did grab the ropes against Lindland. In the straight clinch, Randy would have been superior. (Did anybody ever beat Randy in the straight clinch).

At the same time, his strike-->clinch/td transition game was so sick. It was so good you have to wonder whether TDD is even part of the equation. Honestly, Mino and Cro Cop never even had time to sprawl because they were just swept off their feet off the punches.

So you've got the guy who boxed up Chuck Liddel into takedowns against the guy who kickboxed up Mino and Cro Cop into takedowns. Would have been a great fight.

So when would have been a good time of that fight exactly IYO Wiggum? What year (BTFW - HAPPY B DAY RANDY!- someone is older than me LOL!)? In 2003 Randy was 40, Fedor was 26. Randy is like Hendo, crossovers, WTF knows when there prime was??

To me the best Fedor was 2004, his conditioning was still there at a top level (and speed), he would clearly improve in striking latter though.

When should they have fought? Not when Randy was getting clowned in Japan you said. The Randy that fought those wars with Rizzo and Or GNTFO by Josh? The Randy that GKTFO by the Iceman? The Randy who beat Tim was impressive as hell, but he was 45.

When should the fight have happened (to made it the most meaningful)?

6/22/13 7:00 AM
Lazer MMA

BTW Fedor huggers always blame Josh for that fight not happening X2.
6/22/13 8:15 AM
Entreri

Edited: 06/22/13 8:16 AM
Without any question, Silva is the better fighter than Fedor.

Silva is the current GOAT, Jones may replace him in the future.

Silva vs. Fedor, especially striking aggressive Fedor of later years, Silva by KO. Fedor lost to Henderson. This is like Silva losing to Aldo.

HW is also the weakest division. I do give huge props to Fedor, being a MW/LHW (if he cut weight) for wrecking the HW division. Jones will follow.

The current HW division it more stacked than when Fedor fought in Pride, given all the great HW's are in one organization now...that goes for any weight class.
6/22/13 8:57 AM
MrColdCock

"Silva vs. Fedor, especially striking aggressive Fedor of later years, Silva by KO. Fedor lost to Henderson. This is like Silva losing to Aldo. "

Or Anderson losing to Takase. Round and round we go... Phone Post
6/22/13 9:10 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri - Without any question, Silva is the better fighter than Fedor.

Silva vs. Fedor, especially striking aggressive Fedor of later years, Silva by KO. Fedor lost to Henderson. This is like Silva losing to Aldo.

HW is also the weakest division. I do give huge props to Fedor, being a MW/LHW (if he cut weight) for wrecking the HW division. Jones will follow.

The current HW division it more stacked than when Fedor fought in Pride, given all the great HW's are in one organization now...that goes for any weight class.
Why does everyone when talking about Dan vs Fedor they treat Dan like some pussy middleweight who has no power? If Dan hits anyone clean they're out Nelson or Cabbage or whoever. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 9:18 AM
Entreri

MrColdCock -  "Silva vs. Fedor, especially striking aggressive Fedor of later years, Silva by KO. Fedor lost to Henderson. This is like Silva losing to Aldo. "

Or Anderson losing to Takase. Round and round we go... Phone Post

Same weight class. And if there was a rematch...

Henderson would beat Fedor in a rematch. Anderson handled Henderson easily.

Fedor is the HW GOAT. Silva is the current GOAT. The sport is too young to have a Jordan like GOAT.
6/22/13 9:19 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

sparkuri - Fedor is the GOAT.
Jones has a chance, but we're years away.
Andy kicks ass within a twenty pound range.
Fedor is a shorter, fatter guy that basically said "bring on the world", then bowed to it when he was done smashing it. Phone Post
Seems you're critical of Andy for fighting in the proper division for his body, where some of his opponents were heavier than him, yet you make no mention of Jones only fighting much smaller competition overall... Phone Post
6/22/13 12:54 PM
Lazer MMA

omega 2013 - 
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick -
Entreri - Without any question, Silva is the better fighter than Fedor.

Why does everyone when talking about Dan vs Fedor they treat Dan like some pussy middleweight who has no power? If Dan hits anyone clean they're out Nelson or Cabbage or whoever. Phone Post 3.0
He hit spider clean and it had no effect. Trust me. I was@the fight... Phone Post

I've been told this. Can you tell me the exact time of the fight it was landed or provide a GIF?

IMO AS is the greatest defensive striker ever (by light years) and

I have a standing challenge given to the forum to show a single GIF of him getting hit with a huge punch (no hand punches- the fighters weight must be behind the punch) in which the fighter delivering the punch did NOT have his arm fully extended when contact occured.

Iirc the one a poster refereed me to prior in that fight to review Hendo's arm was fully extend when contact occured.

6/22/13 1:45 PM
wiggum
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 

So when would have been a good time of that fight exactly IYO Wiggum? What year (BTFW - HAPPY B DAY RANDY!- someone is older than me LOL!)? In 2003 Randy was 40, Fedor was 26. Randy is like Hendo, crossovers, WTF knows when there prime was??

To me the best Fedor was 2004, his conditioning was still there at a top level (and speed), he would clearly improve in striking latter though.

When should they have fought? Not when Randy was getting clowned in Japan you said. The Randy that fought those wars with Rizzo and Or GNTFO by Josh? The Randy that GKTFO by the Iceman? The Randy who beat Tim was impressive as hell, but he was 45.

When should the fight have happened (to made it the most meaningful)?

Best Randy ever was the Randy who beat Chuck the first time.

Best Randy to fight Fedor . . . probably the one who beat Tim.
6/22/13 1:54 PM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 

How can the blame rest on anyone's shoulders but Josh's?

He was offered the fight in 2006 and didn't take it due to him "not being ready", but still fought Noguiera on that very same card. And in 2009 he pissed hot when he was about to do the fight for Affliction's 3rd show.
6/22/13 2:14 PM
Wasa-B

Yes, Hendo clocks Andy when Andy started pouring it on and Dan was i think hurt but still dangerous as always. Moments before he goes down, Andy is fighting in the pocket and seems to eat the right hand.

Suprised you missed this, Hendo Thiaguy. I think Andy ate it on purpose though or had it measured to some degree. Whenever he starts doing his hand riddum thing or gets in the groove and attacks, it seems he sees everything and knows exactly where everything is Matrix style and i think this was a great example.
6/22/13 2:20 PM
Lazer MMA

TY Omega. I'll check it.

6/22/13 2:22 PM
Lazer MMA

CLINTK9 - 
Lazer MMA - 

yes, because he declined TWICE when offered in Pride. saying him and Fedor will have to sit down and talk it over being friends and all and its gonna have to be for big $$$ if it does happen. and then failed for roids the 3rd time. so uh, in your opinion, who's fault is it then? Fedor's?

NP I said this from a neutral position boss. As an FYI to the thread. I always forget the details.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.