UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Why Silva is the greatest of all-time

6/21/13 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - Fedor had a great career, but Anderson with his no 3-fight losing streak, would be slightly better cause of that. they are so close in credentials( both have faced weak competition, both have faced great competition, both are same age, both had/have amazing winning streaks), they are so close that it would be something so simple as a 3 fight losing streak that would tip the scales barely in Andersons favor.

dont give me that shit "he wasnt in his prime" when he went on his 3 fight losing streak. he just came off destroying Tim, and one of the most amazing counter flying knee KOs in history, and another brilliant KO of Rogers, and everyone at that point calling him the greatest ever. and most people consider 25-early 30s your athletic prime, not just pick the best part of your career and call it a day.

I think this post is half right.

You are succinctly sum up Anderson and Fedor: "both have faced weak competition, both have faced great competition, both are same age, both had/have amazing winning streaks." Can't really say it much better.

But Fedor definitely wasn't in his prime in Strikeforce. You can look at the pictures. You can see the GIFs of his strikes to takedowns from Nog and CC fights. He wasn't there in SF.
6/21/13 1:32 PM
CLINTK9
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!"

Anderson has a better finishing percentage than Fedor did in his "prime", and against better opponents -- to say nothing of his finishes being far more dazzling. Anderson has not just fought the "two greatest" MWs of his time, he has fought ALL of the best middleweights of his time (and beat them). 

"and how would Fedor look fighting Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Bonner?"

Oops, your forgot "how would Fedor look fighting Dan Henderson".

and half "The Best" MW are a joke and were laughable fights for andy. LOL, the ONE common opponent you haters HAVE to RUN to EVERY TIME. who also happens to be one of the top 10 goats and has beat many top guys as well. and who tried to get a rematch 3 wins later but UFC would let him. so he went to SF.

6/21/13 1:48 PM
wiggum
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm unsure how Fedor fans can discredit Anderson and how Anderson fans can discredit Fedor.

They both did the same thing: dominate for a sustained period of time while facing the best competition with lesser competition in between.

Does anyone think that there is a 185 pounder Anderson should have fought, didn't fight, and would have somehow shown his greatness even more?

Does anyone really need Fedor to have fought anyone else during his 10 year run to prove that he was the best? Who was better than him? Sergei? Give me a break.
6/21/13 2:07 PM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"Humble, Tried to kill you, Finished fights, Didn't complain, Fought the two greatest HW's of his time (and beat them), He just got on with it!"

Anderson has a better finishing percentage than Fedor did in his "prime", and against better opponents -- to say nothing of his finishes being far more dazzling. Anderson has not just fought the "two greatest" MWs of his time, he has fought ALL of the best middleweights of his time (and beat them). 

"and how would Fedor look fighting Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Bonner?"

Fedor of 2002-2008 would've completely tooled Hendo and you know it.
6/21/13 2:10 PM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - Fedor had a great career, but Anderson with his no 3-fight losing streak, would be slightly better cause of that. they are so close in credentials( both have faced weak competition, both have faced great competition, both are same age, both had/have amazing winning streaks), they are so close that it would be something so simple as a 3 fight losing streak that would tip the scales barely in Andersons favor.

dont give me that shit "he wasnt in his prime" when he went on his 3 fight losing streak. he just came off destroying Tim, and one of the most amazing counter flying knee KOs in history, and another brilliant KO of Rogers, and everyone at that point calling him the greatest ever. and most people consider 25-early 30s your athletic prime, not just pick the best part of your career and call it a day.

Fedor looked far slower and sloppier in the Rogers fight compared with the Sylvia fight. I think the last time we saw a 'Prime' Fedor fight was the Sylvia fight and after that his skills and mental focus began to deteriorate quickly.

Even though Fedor beat Rogers in amazing fashion, there was still a hell of a lot of criticism about his performance in that fight and rightly so. He was too reckless, aggressive and not patient enough. Fedor was definitely no longer in his Prime in the Rogers (and Arlovski) fights.
6/21/13 2:15 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eXtv -
orcus - 

Would have tooled Anderson as well. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 2:18 PM
eXtv

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - 
eXtv -
orcus - 

Would have tooled Anderson as well. Phone Post 3.0

Damn right he would of. There is not a fighter on the planet that he ever existed that I would favour over Fedor in his physical and mental prime.
6/21/13 2:20 PM
CLINTK9
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -  Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post

doesn't matter when you don't fight the best competition available. only 1/2 the top level fighters were in pride as evidenced by performances in the ring/cage. he only faced 1/2 the top guys in pride. werdum,kharitonov,barnett,ricco never got a sniff. and before you say "they didn't earn a shot" consider zulu,tk,choi...

geez, another one of these tards.

Choi & Zulu were NYE freak show fights the japs loved. TK was a rematch that Fedor wanted just to clear that up.

werdum wasnt doin shit then but getting beat by
Nog & Kharitonov to get that shot. Ricco had ONE good win in pride then went back to ufc. he wasnt even a pride fighter at the time and was a ufc fighter since 2001. and had losses prior and after the Nog pride fight.

Kharitonov had a chance but lost to Nog in the tourney. wish they would have fought, but it doesnt tarnish Fedor's legacy because they didnt. just another guy Fedor would have beat back then.

I'm not even go to Barnett, your an asshat for even mentionng him. HE Blew his chance 3 TIMES!

when it was 2002-2006 all the best were in Pride excpt Alrloski, Sylvia, couture. Fedor beat two of them.

and I'm sorry, but Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Sonnen even is fighting the BEST? OK! Sonnen's one his best wins and most on here complained he was even getting a shot. and like fighting Weidman who has EXACTLY 2 DECENT, not Huge, but decent wins. LOL thats fighting the best?
Geez not another 1 of you tards. another clown making excuses as to why fedor didn't fight legit fighters. Funny how werdum's loss to jds didn't stop him from tapping fedor like a little girl. And just b/c Japan likes clown matches,fedor can't get credit. Phone Post

excuses? Werdum was a mid-carder in pride. Ricco WASNT EVEN IN PRIDE at the time you dumbass. UFC sent him over for one fight. Barnett DECLINED Twice and failed for roids the 3rd time. so Fedor should have chased him out in the parking lot to fight? Sergie is the only one left.

OK So he Should have fought ONE more fight he didnt in pride.

nice try, keep reaching!

6/21/13 2:25 PM
CLINTK9

wiggum - I'm unsure how Fedor fans can discredit Anderson and how Anderson fans can discredit Fedor.

They both did the same thing: dominate for a sustained period of time while facing the best competition with lesser competition in between.

Does anyone think that there is a 185 pounder Anderson should have fought, didn't fight, and would have somehow shown his greatness even more?

Does anyone really need Fedor to have fought anyone else during his 10 year run to prove that he was the best? Who was better than him? Sergei? Give me a break.

theres no way to defend Fedor to the haters when they rip on his comp without talking about Anderson and his competition. when the haters start saying Fedor fought cans except for one or two fights, theres no choice but to bring up the not so great challengers Anderson has fought.

I agree, both are tha goats above all others, GSP is not even close IMO as he cant even finish any of his opponents.
6/21/13 2:29 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If fedor wasnt in his prime an battered up during his 3 fight lose streak, then we have to consider how much damage he took and why, and how much damage Anderson takes and why , Andersons untouchable when it comes to striking and pure dominance of his opponents.

Sure fedor was fighting bigger dudes but so is Cain, you can be a HW and escape with minimum damage ala Cain/cormeir. The fact is fedor Has taken more then damage then Anderson has, which to me speaks volumes about the greatness of Anderson.

No losing streaks, took less damage,older then fedor and still fighting at the highest level possible( to me the most obvious claim to goat for him)

Fedor is great, but Anderson greatest.
6/21/13 2:32 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 -
wiggum - I'm unsure how Fedor fans can discredit Anderson and how Anderson fans can discredit Fedor.

theres no way to defend Fedor to the haters when they rip on his comp without talking about Anderson and his competition. when the haters start saying Fedor fought cans except for one or two fights, theres no choice but to bring up the not so great challengers Anderson has fought.

I agree, both are tha goats above all others, GSP is not even close IMO as he cant even finish any of his opponents.
The competition isn't really a big deal for either two. I can just use an eye test (since they've both competed over ten yrs) and tell you who the more well rounded badder man is/was. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 2:34 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

crumbs - If fedor wasnt in his prime an battered up during his 3 fight lose streak, then we have to consider how much damage he took and why, and how much damage Anderson takes and why , Andersons untouchable when it comes to striking and pure dominance of his opponents.

Sure fedor was fighting bigger dudes but so is Cain, you can be a HW and escape with minimum damage ala Cain/cormeir. The fact is fedor Has taken more then damage then Anderson has, which to me speaks volumes about the greatness of Anderson.

No losing streaks, took less damage,older then fedor and still fighting at the highest level possible( to me the most obvious claim to goat for him)

I've seen Cain on skates more than once how do you know how well he'll hold up? He's defended the belt once for Christ sake. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 2:47 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crumbs - If fedor wasnt in his prime an battered up during his 3 fight lose streak, then we have to consider how much damage he took and why, and how much damage Anderson takes and why , Andersons untouchable when it comes to striking and pure dominance of his opponents.

I've seen Cain on skates more than once how do you know how well he'll hold up? He's defended the belt once for Christ sake. Phone Post 3.0

I was more comparing size, Cain and DC can win without taking max damage, fedor is badass and just walks into danger, fun to watch but I can't put you ahead if Anderson cause your crazy.
6/21/13 2:54 PM
CLINTK9

omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
CLINTK9 -
omega 2013 - 
MrColdCock -  Fedor spent almost 10 years as the best fighter on the planet. Nobody in the world was better then him. Almost 10 years without losing. Almost 10 years without losing a round.

He also spent a good portion of that time as the number 1 pound for pound fighter... As a HW. People don't seem to understand how impressive that is. No other heavyweight MMA fighter, or boxer for that matter has been considered the best pound for pound fighter in their sport for at least the last 25 years. Maybe closer to 40. Fedor spent almost his entire career in that spot. That is greatness. Phone Post

doesn't matter when you don't fight the best competition available. only 1/2 the top level fighters were in pride as evidenced by performances in the ring/cage. he only faced 1/2 the top guys in pride. werdum,kharitonov,barnett,ricco never got a sniff. and before you say "they didn't earn a shot" consider zulu,tk,choi...

geez, another one of these tards.

Choi & Zulu were NYE freak show fights the japs loved. TK was a rematch that Fedor wanted just to clear that up.

werdum wasnt doin shit then but getting beat by
Nog & Kharitonov to get that shot. Ricco had ONE good win in pride then went back to ufc. he wasnt even a pride fighter at the time and was a ufc fighter since 2001. and had losses prior and after the Nog pride fight.

Kharitonov had a chance but lost to Nog in the tourney. wish they would have fought, but it doesnt tarnish Fedor's legacy because they didnt. just another guy Fedor would have beat back then.

I'm not even go to Barnett, your an asshat for even mentionng him. HE Blew his chance 3 TIMES!

when it was 2002-2006 all the best were in Pride excpt Alrloski, Sylvia, couture. Fedor beat two of them.

and I'm sorry, but Maia, Cote, Lutter, Lietes, Okami, Irvin, Nate, and Sonnen even is fighting the BEST? OK! Sonnen's one his best wins and most on here complained he was even getting a shot. and like fighting Weidman who has EXACTLY 2 DECENT, not Huge, but decent wins. LOL thats fighting the best?
Geez not another 1 of you tards. another clown making excuses as to why fedor didn't fight legit fighters. Funny how werdum's loss to jds didn't stop him from tapping fedor like a little girl. And just b/c Japan likes clown matches,fedor can't get credit. Phone Post

excuses? Werdum was a mid-carder in pride. Ricco WASNT EVEN IN PRIDE at the time you dumbass. UFC sent him over for one fight. Barnett DECLINED Twice and failed for roids the 3rd time. so Fedor should have chased him out in the parking lot to fight? Sergie is the only one left.

OK So he Should have fought ONE more fight he didnt in pride.

nice try, keep reaching!

But Ogawa,Fujita and Coleman(2nd fight) were all legit challengers? Many a fan wanted Ricco to get a shot after the controversial nog fight. Phone Post

No they werent. Fujita was legit tough though. But Fedor fought FIVE times each yr he fought Fujita & Ogawa, so he had FOUR more fights each yr on top of those.

in 04, the yr he fought Ogawa that the haters bring up, he also fought Coleman, Randleman and Big Nog TWICE that same yr.

do you even know why Fedor/Coleman 2 was set up?

and yes, Ricco won vs Nog. but wasnt a win worth getting a shot at Fedor. it deserved a rematch with Nog. Ricco lost to Sylvia just prior and to Rizzo just after. a fight I would have like to see, but Fedor didnt NEED to fight Ricco!
6/21/13 3:02 PM
CLINTK9

crumbs - 

I was more comparing size, Cain and DC can win without taking max damage, fedor is badass and just walks into danger, fun to watch but I can't put you ahead if Anderson cause your crazy.

age and primes are different for everyone.

and yes Anderson has taken less damge, but you honestly think fighting some of the guys he's fought he be able to do the same with guys like Semmy (K1 Champ), Herring, Coleman, Arlovski, etc? Fedor gets the extra point IMO for fighting the bigger badder dudes out there. Cote, Lietes, Lutter, Maia, cmon guy? those would be highlight reels for Fedor too.
6/21/13 3:04 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"and half "The Best" MW are a joke and were laughable fights for andy."

Franklin, Henderson, Marquardt, Maia -- these guys aren't jokes.

"LOL, the ONE common opponent you haters HAVE to RUN to EVERY TIME."

Well he is the ONE common opponent, shouldn't that mean more than idle speculation about guys neither ever fought?

"who also happens to be one of the top 10 goats and has beat many top guys as well. and who tried to get a rematch 3 wins later but UFC would let him. so he went to SF."

What's the relevance of Dan trying to get a rematch? He got beat up and choked out in the second round of a fight where if he were anybody else you all would have been screaming that under Pride's superior system he'd have been yellow carded for his terrible lay and pray.

6/21/13 3:17 PM
orcus

Fedor defended his Pride belt twice in his career. Nog for the third time, and Mark Hunt. WOW.

6/21/13 3:45 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, again, these GOAT threads always end up in the same place, a place that never ends well. Anyone that knows me knows i am both a giant fan of both Fedor and Anderson but I still put my vote for Anderson over Fedor now. I also think Jones is en route to surpass Anderson. I'm also a big GSP fan but I have to admit that his conservative ways has been frustrating but that he is still easily one of the GOATs. I'm also a big fan of Aldo but he has some competitive decisions in the UFC, we all know he's #1 with a bullet but he hasnt been distancing himself from his opponents like the above. However, Aldo is one of my fav guys to watch. GSP is in the fact that he's so good at everything, i love overall generalship but frustrating in that he looks like he could outclass his opponents and he just does enough.

As for the question of how who either Fedor or Anderson should have fought but didnt/hasnt, you mentioned Sergei, Wiggum. There is also Barnett during his Pride years which of course, he was going to fight in Affliction and it was Josh's fault (not Fedor's) in that not panning out. I cant remember the logistics in Pride but Barnett may have also lost out his chances when he was beaten by CC and Nog in the rematch? There was also Overeem in SF too although they could have met in the GP had things gone right.
6/21/13 3:52 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

orcus -

Fedor defended his Pride belt twice in his career. Nog for the third time, and Mark Hunt. WOW.

Weren't both those guys in top contender bouts for Cains belt just last month like 9 yrs later? Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 3:54 PM
orcus

"Weren't both those guys in top contender bouts for Cains belt just last month like 9 yrs later?"

And? Who gets to fight for a title is often a crapshoot. Hence why BOTH Fedor and Anderson have defended against weak competition. Also, to be accurate, neither Nog nor Hunt were suggested to get a title fight if they won those matches.

My point was in response to Cain only defending once "for Christ sake" when Fedor in his 5 year or whatever reign in Pride defended just twice. One a rematch and one a guy who had one split decision over a top 20 HW in his career to that point and who was coming off a loss.

6/21/13 4:00 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

orcus -

"Weren't both those guys in top contender bouts for Cains belt just last month like 9 yrs later?"

And? Who gets to fight for a title is often a crapshoot. Hence why BOTH Fedor and Anderson have defended against weak competition. Also, to be accurate, neither Nog nor Hunt were suggested to get a title fight if they won those matches.

My point was in response to Cain only defending once "for Christ sake" when Fedor in his 5 year or whatever reign in Pride defended just twice. One a rematch and one a guy who had one split decision over a top 20 HW in his career to that point and who was coming off a loss.

And the other time Cain defended it he showed you how easy it is to get clipped at heavyweight. Something Emelianenko avoided throughout his ten year run. Even while sticking his nose in danger, never getting yellow carded, and dumped on his head. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 4:12 PM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GOAT

6/21/13 4:19 PM
PatrickVilone

anthonyshogun - Until he can dominate larger opponents like fedor did , he will always be number 2 IMO Phone Post 3.0
Lulz Phone Post
6/21/13 4:20 PM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

spartancs -

GOAT

In case u missed it earlier. GOAT

http://youtu.be/lVVrNOQtlzY Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 4:36 PM
wiggum

Wasa-B - 

Yeah, again, these GOAT threads always end up in the same place, a place that never ends well. Anyone that knows me knows i am both a giant fan of both Fedor and Anderson but I still put my vote for Anderson over Fedor now. I also think Jones is en route to surpass Anderson. I'm also a big GSP fan but I have to admit that his conservative ways has been frustrating but that he is still easily one of the GOATs. I'm also a big fan of Aldo but he has some competitive decisions in the UFC, we all know he's #1 with a bullet but he hasnt been distancing himself from his opponents like the above. However, Aldo is one of my fav guys to watch. GSP is in the fact that he's so good at everything, i love overall generalship but frustrating in that he looks like he could outclass his opponents and he just does enough.

As for the question of how who either Fedor or Anderson should have fought but didnt/hasnt, you mentioned Sergei, Wiggum. There is also Barnett during his Pride years which of course, he was going to fight in Affliction and it was Josh's fault (not Fedor's) in that not panning out. I cant remember the logistics in Pride but Barnett may have also lost out his chances when he was beaten by CC and Nog in the rematch? There was also Overeem in SF too although they could have met in the GP had things gone right.

Yeah. I am kind of selective in saying Sergei. I guess Josh and Randy are the two fighters where Fedor could have proven even more. But Josh lost his chances and he lost to Cro Cop.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.