UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Couture: White crossing the line

6/19/13 7:46 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Randy Couture and UFC President Dana White have had a very public battle of words of late in the media. Couture was once the greatest ambassador for the UFC, but since announcing a deal to work with Bellator, Couture has been the target of White in the media. Couture was recently a guest of Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour and spoke to how he believed White has crossed the line:

"I don't take any of that personal. I don't really tune into the underground and all that other stuff. People come to me and they say, ‘Oh, he said this and he said that.' I don't care; I know what the truth is. I know how I have treated people, how I tried to treat them. And yeah, fighting with them to get a fair shake and be told the truth and, it's been a struggle all along, from ancillary rights down the line. I don't take any of that personal. I don't really tune into it. In the day-to-day running of my life, it's a small thing. But, when you start talking about somebody's kids and their family, yeah, you're crossing the line. I don't think he would like it if I did those sorts of things to him. I know his wife, I know his kids.

He's got my sons fate in his hands in some way here. With Ryan competing and not allowing me to continue to progress and work with my son in his fight career is ridiculous and that bothers me. It bothers me that he could affect my son's livelihood. My son has earned his spot. Ryan has done the work, he has the passion for the sport and he's doing all of the right things. So for him to be hindered and hampered by Dana and Dana's feelings towards me, it isn't fair and that bothers me."

transcription by MMAMania.com...

6/19/13 8:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is this really a new concept, Dana being a douche?
6/19/13 9:01 AM
ThickS0lid N Right
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed is shitty for Ryan but Randy knew Dana would flip shit an all bets were off. Doin Bellators reality show is a slap in the face especially if he bailed on his fox commitment. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 9:02 AM
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couture is right. 

6/19/13 9:05 AM
Tilla

Fair play, Randy!

Dana is like a fricking kid at times.
6/19/13 9:08 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White isn't named The Baldfather for nothing.

6/19/13 9:22 AM
nostripewhite

Randy chose to fly from the UFC when his kid was going to fight there.

You can't have it both ways. You can't go work for Dana's chief competitor only to complain about not being allowed to get screen time with the UFC.

He put his ambition ahead of helping his son, which for Randy seems par for the course.

Don't complain because your kid gets legit fights and loses. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 9:23 AM
nostripewhite

duckhuntgangsta -
Kostakio -

Couture is right. 

I agree. Whatever Dana has against Randy should be set aside to let him corner his son. Phone Post 3.0
Nah, Randy chose to screw the UFC and go work for Bellator. What do they owe him? He's person non-grata. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 9:51 AM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy has a history of being made a bitch by Zuffa when it's outside the Octagon...most of which he brought on himself.

6/19/13 10:18 AM
SonOfThePeepHole

Fuck u goof Phone Post
Rob San Soo

Nothing happens to Greg Jackson wtf Phone Post 3.0
charms434
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nostripewhite - Randy chose to fly from the UFC when his kid was going to fight there.

You can't have it both ways. You can't go work for Dana's chief competitor only to complain about not being allowed to get screen time with the UFC.

He put his ambition ahead of helping his son, which for Randy seems par for the course.

Yea but Dana should have no say when it comes to who a fighter has as a corner man. That should be up to the commission. just like picking a ref. When it comes to something that could affect the outcome of the fight, like between rounds coaching and planning, I think Dana is going way out of his boundaries.
In fact I wonder if Couture went to the Commision and petitioned them, would he get granted the right to corner his son or other fighters. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:21 AM
Standup29

To be fair, Ryan knew the deal and was offered out of his contract with no hard feelings. He wanted to stay.

Randy makes a point that talking about ines family is crossing the line but I don't remember Dana bad mouthing his family.

While both sides are being childish, Randy knew full well the repercussions of his actions. Well at least there would be some that could have impacted his son. As a father I can tell you it would have been hard for me to deal with a choice that could adversely effect my son's career without talking to him first. Maybe he did but if so, he has no room to complain. He put Randy before Ryan on this one either way. Tbh I am surprised Dana spoke to Ryan and gave him an out if he wanted it. I didn't think Dana would be adult enough to do that. Phone Post
6/19/13 10:23 AM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Couture on this.

I don't agree with a lot of the criticism Dana gets. He's a hard man in a business where strength and ruthlessness is a requirement. He also does a lot of good. I'm not sure where I stand on the pay issues, I wish they were paid better, but what do I know.

Anyway..

My point is, Dana needs to let Couture corner son Ryan, it's ridiculous.
6/19/13 10:24 AM
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SonOfThePeepHole - Fuck u goof Phone Post
Never gets old. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:28 AM
whoabro

nostripewhite - Randy chose to fly from the UFC when his kid was going to fight there.

This Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:29 AM
Garv
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!
GSP24 - Randy has showed before that he lacks loyalty.

I'm sure all of this could have been avoided. Phone Post 3.0

People say that fighters, if they don't like the terms of the contract, should go somewhere else.  Randy went somewhere else. 

The UFC is running a business and so is Couture.  There's a word that businessmen have for loyal employees.  They call them schmucks.

6/19/13 10:31 AM
DreamSTi

How long before Ryan is fighting for Bellator?
6/19/13 10:33 AM
Standup29

charms434 -

Yea but Dana should have no say when it comes to who a fighter has as a corner man. That should be up to the commission. just like picking a ref. When it comes to something that could affect the outcome of the fight, like between rounds coaching and planning, I think Dana is going way out of his boundaries.
In fact I wonder if Couture went to the Commision and petitioned them, would he get granted the right to corner his son or other fighters. Phone Post 3.0
To be fair, Ryan understood Randy wouldn't be allowed so it's not like it was a last minute dec out of the blue.

And a promotor has every right to say who is allowed in the arena. Their production they call the shots. The AC is about fighter saftey and rules/regulations. Being approved by the AC does not mean the promotion has to allow them. Phone Post
6/19/13 10:46 AM
JetSetter

I've always been a fan of Randy the fighter but Randy the person is petty and a douche. He caused all of these problems and now he's crying about it. Typical Randy!! Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:48 AM
sacredhate
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wouldn't let a spokesperson for my competitor get any time on my promotion either.

my works hosts events occasionally that include guests/spouses. if your spouse works for a competitor they aren't allowed to attend.

I have no problem with Dana's approach to this.
6/19/13 11:48 AM
Scrap7

I've said it ever since the first tuf. Dana will run the UFC into the ground. Hopefully the sport will survive. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 11:55 AM
jqvwxyz

GSP24 - 
Garv -
GSP24 - Randy has showed before that he lacks loyalty.

I'm sure all of this could have been avoided. Phone Post 3.0

People say that fighters, if they don't like the terms of the contract, should go somewhere else.  Randy went somewhere else. 

The UFC is running a business and so is Couture.  There's a word that businessmen have for loyal employees.  They call them schmucks.

I agree with everything you just said.

But, I honestly believe, if Randy sat down with dfw they would have found something for Randy.

Randy jumps the gun. I really think he has people talking in his ear. Phone Post 3.0

I seem to remember that when this change to Bellator all went down, Randy said he got the offer from Bellator, so then he went to the UFC brass and told them, and asked them to give him some decent job to stay. The UFC gave the next job up to Matt Hughes instead.
6/19/13 12:02 PM
Wes_Mantooth

nostripewhite - Randy chose to fly from the UFC when his kid was going to fight there.

Agreed.
6/19/13 12:59 PM
Bentleysuper8

Hard to tell who is telling the truth. Lets go with track record. How many people complain about Randy vs how many people complain about Dana. Who's side would lean towards if you had nothing else to go on?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.