UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> I want to start trainig BJJ, but...

6/19/13 9:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CarolinaSMB_CR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking of starting to train BJJ, but I have no courage, I'm afraid of getting hurt ... What advice can you give to help me?
6/19/13 9:58 AM
BEEF & CHEESE

Tap.
6/19/13 10:05 AM
BigEyedFish

BEEF & CHEESE - Tap.

/thread
6/19/13 10:06 AM
BandakaKush

The hardest part of the journey is making the first step. You won't get hurt as long as you do not have an ego, which means do not try to prove how tough you are, tap early and tap often.
6/19/13 10:56 AM
CarolinaSMB_CR

Gates of Janus - 
CarolinaSMB_CR - I'm thinking of starting to train BJJ, but I have no courage, I'm afraid of getting hurt ... What advice can you give to help me?

why are you pretending to be carol marinho from Connection rio?

or maybe you are, Dennis Asche posts here so maybe he can verify

https://twitter.com/carolinasmb_CR

lol, nice try

Why are you following me? I'm not pretending, and this is getting weird, so stop talking crap, please. I'm here to heard opinions, not to discuss who am I!
6/19/13 10:59 AM
CarolinaSMB_CR

Thank you, guys!
6/19/13 11:24 AM
checkuroil
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're not going die. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 11:27 AM
Tboney8669
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nut up Phone Post
6/19/13 11:45 AM
manley0702
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ is a lot gentler than most any other martial art. With any striking art, they're trying to kick you in the head. Compared to that, BJJ is quite tame.
6/19/13 12:31 PM
petch
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shut up. Walk through the door and train. Will you get hurt? Eventually, everyone does. Your back, fingers, shoulders, knees and neck will at some point hurt. I guarantee it. I am currently nursing a sore back, jammed thumb and little finger. I was at the gym at 9 not b/c I am tough or even that great at BJJ I just love it. I told my team mates today I can't really grip with my right hand not so they would take it easy on me so that they knew why I wasn't gripping with as much strength. The point is this, come and train if you like it the rest of that shit just becomes excuses. Nobody is great at anything till they try. Even then very few are really elite. The vast majority of BJJ people practice for the love of the sport and the more team mates you have the better. Now shut up and show up or don't but then really shut the fuck up.
6/20/13 2:01 PM
Dan Pagan
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man up Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 2:06 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't be scared, homie.
6/21/13 12:34 AM
Sugarfoot
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just go take a basics class and practice with someone your size until you get some confidence. After that, give open mat a try with people you trust. Good luck! Its a lot of fun and a long journey with many friends to be made along the way. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 3:39 PM
GoingII
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CarolinaSMB_CR - I'm thinking of starting to train BJJ, but I have no courage, I'm afraid of getting hurt ... What advice can you give to help me?

As Nike says " Just do iT'

I just came back this week after a 3 year lay off due to a widowmaker heart attack.

I owe jiu jitsu for still being alive! I had the heart attack in May of 2010 6 months after I won the absolute at the Pan No Gi Blue Belt. When the doctor saw my echo cardigram a few weeks after the heart attack he said" if I didn't know your recent history I would call your heart normal." When we were talking it came up that I was training 3-5 days a week and he told me that because AI was in such good shape even though I had a 100% blockage of the LAD artery I had developed enough extra capilaries around my heart that blood got through the muscle and prevented the scar tissue that would have killed me.

So I am saying if I can do it barring soem serious phsical ailment anyone can do it!

Good Luck and have fun it is the most addicting activity I have ever done.
6/21/13 5:33 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoingII -

I just came back this week after a 3 year lay off due to a widowmaker heart attack.

I owe jiu jitsu for still being alive! I had the heart attack in May of 2010 6 months after I won the absolute at the Pan No Gi Blue Belt. When the doctor saw my echo cardigram a few weeks after the heart attack he said" if I didn't know your recent history I would call your heart normal." When we were talking it came up that I was training 3-5 days a week and he told me that because AI was in such good shape even though I had a 100% blockage of the LAD artery I had developed enough extra capilaries around my heart that blood got through the muscle and prevented the scar tissue that would have killed me.

So I am saying if I can do it barring soem serious phsical ailment anyone can do it!

Whoa. Phone Post
6/21/13 6:14 PM
torubu
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoingII -

You've motivated me to keep going. How old at time of the heart attack if you don't mind? Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 8:40 PM
On the Mat
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
Troll? hack? Left MMA.tv logged in?
6/22/13 9:34 PM
GoingII

torubu - 
GoingII -

You've motivated me to keep going. How old at time of the heart attack if you don't mind? Phone Post 3.0

I was 43 at the time.
7/4/13 12:53 PM
SidRon
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goingll, I sent you a PM. I am in a similar situation and would like to learn from your experience.
7/5/13 10:47 PM
vogelbar
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Find a school that has a self defense program that does not include grappling/rolling Phone Post 3.0
7/6/13 11:26 AM
CodeGeek
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I have no courage"

It's always intimidating to walk into class on the first day, and that never really changes. I've been doing this a long time and I still get nervous when I visit a different academy. It takes a while to get totally comfortable with your team, but once you do, training becomes one of the most fun and life altering things you can do.

GoingII: Wow, your story makes me want to go get my arteries checked.
7/6/13 7:08 PM
future_jabroni
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say that you owe it to your self to try it out. Most every school will even let you have a free class with no commitment. If you don't like it than don't come back. I was hooked after the first day. I thought I was big and tough until I rolled with a teenager that must have weighed about 60 lbs less than me. He was a white belt and completely dominated me. I told myself that I had to learn what these knew.

As far as injuries I think that you would be surprised. You can avoid serious injuries but there will be some smaller nagging ones from time to time. All in all, training in bjj is very safe.
7/7/13 12:28 AM
BJJBuster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In situations such as this I recommend the following:

Sit down and be honest with yourself about your fears. Are you really afraid of injury or are you deeply afraid of something else (embarrassment, etc)

Once you identify the root emotion consider what is the worst that can happen?

What is the absolute worst?
Break an arm?
Soreness and pain?
Embarrassment?

Now ask yourself "if the worst thing that could possibly happen happens... Then what? How bad off will I be"

Likely once you Begin to think through this you will realize:

The chance of the ultimate worst happening is probably slim.

Even if it does happen its not the end of the world Phone Post 3.0
7/9/13 9:43 PM
pennviachoke
1082 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GoingII -

Incredible story bro...you're a warrior Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.