UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My take on Babalu stoppage

6/19/13 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bryguy33569
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand how the ref can justify stopping that fight. Was Sobral rocked? Yes. Was he wobbly? Yes. It is not the ref's job to determine if a fighter cannot continue in a situation like that one. I am all for a ref protecting a fighter if they are getting pummeled and not defending themself, but that is not what happened. If he stopped the fight after Sobral got tagged with the right hand then fine. Sobral was across the cage from the other guy and he was in no danger. He was not in a position to have to defend himself. The ref decided that Sobral had enough and stopped it. This is not boxing... Isn't that the reason for the ability to tap out in mma? I think the ref overstepped his authority in this one.
6/19/13 9:59 PM
Rabid Bunyip
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gif me Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:12 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gif? Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:22 PM
sitchpack

Jar of flies pls Phone Post
6/19/13 10:33 PM
Kostakio
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. Horrible stoppage. Phone Post 3.0
6/19/13 10:52 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/19/13 10:53 PM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
It was the 1st time I have seen that type of stoppage, and it was the proper call, IMO. The ref had the fighter's safety in mind.
6/19/13 11:02 PM
Brian Rule
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Babalu but he's suffered many vicious KOs in his day. He was getting drilled with counter lead hooks, then crosses too. He was hardly standing and one clean shot from getting starched. He wasn't winning a decision. Thinking about his future health I'm okay with the stoppage.
6/20/13 12:22 AM
Abrtitans

Running away to avoid damage is not intelligently defending yourself. See the Aaron Simpson and Chris Leben fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 12:27 AM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gif please. And since he retired, thank you for all the great memories!!! True warrior!!!! Phone Post
6/20/13 12:56 AM
JROTT
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit stoppage, and shit commentary for not pointing it out.. All hugging the refs nuts and stuff... Babalu shoved him and I thought he was about ready to clock him too Phone Post
6/20/13 1:15 AM
me101
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightermindset.com, Owner

Strange stoppage

6/20/13 1:29 AM
slowdiver
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolute bullshit! This kind of shit steals from everybody: Jacob, Babalu, and the fans. Fuck that ref and the commentary team for not calling bs. BOOOOO
6/20/13 1:57 AM
Stan Dan Wang

Brian Rule - Love Babalu but he's suffered many vicious KOs in his day. He was getting drilled with counter lead hooks, then crosses too. He was hardly standing and one clean shot from getting starched. He wasn't winning a decision. Thinking about his future health I'm okay with the stoppage.

counter lead hooks you say?

interdasting.
6/20/13 2:07 AM
Altofsky
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stan Dan Wang - 
Brian Rule - Love Babalu but he's suffered many vicious KOs in his day. He was getting drilled with counter lead hooks, then crosses too. He was hardly standing and one clean shot from getting starched. He wasn't winning a decision. Thinking about his future health I'm okay with the stoppage.

interdasting.

I believe he meant counter-lead as in countering with his lead hand... which he was.

Don't agree with stopping a guy of that caliber like that, though. He's a grown man. He knows what he's doing.
6/20/13 2:08 AM
bradu
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder if the ref has a background reffing boxing. Cause if this stoppage happened in boxing I'd have no problem with it. But this is MMA, the rules are different. You don't stop a fight because because a guy is wobbled.

6/20/13 2:14 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agreed with it 100% Phone Post
6/20/13 2:26 AM
boxing wiz
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sobral was in bad shape. He may not have been out on his feet, but he had nothing left to defend himself. He had been doing nothing but retreating from late in round two on. He is an old fighter, with a lot of beatings taken. Why make him go out unconscious again. The fight was over, the definitive KO just hadn't happened yet. Good stoppage
6/20/13 6:16 AM
Nexuscrawlers
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing wiz - Sobral was in bad shape. He may not have been out on his feet, but he had nothing left to defend himself. He had been doing nothing but retreating from late in round two on. He is an old fighter, with a lot of beatings taken. Why make him go out unconscious again. The fight was over, the definitive KO just hadn't happened yet. Good stoppage
This. Sad but true. Phone Post
6/20/13 6:22 AM
fob
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxing wiz - Sobral was in bad shape. He may not have been out on his feet, but he had nothing left to defend himself. He had been doing nothing but retreating from late in round two on. He is an old fighter, with a lot of beatings taken. Why make him go out unconscious again. The fight was over, the definitive KO just hadn't happened yet. Good stoppage

Bullshit imo, either let him bang or take aways his license.  We've seen many fighters that has came back from being wobbled.

6/20/13 6:48 AM
Lazer MMA

I want to support the ref here, but I just can't.
6/20/13 4:34 PM
Brian Rule
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Altofsky - 
Stan Dan Wang - 

interdasting.

I believe he meant counter-lead as in countering with his lead hand... which he was.

Don't agree with stopping a guy of that caliber like that, though. He's a grown man. He knows what he's doing.

more often than not babalu was eating lead hooks when he came in, i.e. "getting drilled with counter lead hooks". those were the beginning of this fight's end
6/24/13 12:31 PM
McLeod
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a bad stoppage. Not only because he was fine and shoved the ref when he stopped it. Not only because he was across the ring and had only been hit twice in the previous clinch, neither knocking him to even a knee.
Babalu was 1:30 seconds in my book from winning the fight. He had won the first two rounds in my book. He only had to survive, and he was exhausted. THAT was why he looked rocked. He was bloodied up, but he was aware of where he was.
A warrior like that had a victory stolen from him in some likelyhood.
The ref had already stopped it twice for "illegal" knees that (at least the 2nd one) were proven to be BS when the replay was shown. Bad job out of the ref IMO.
6/24/13 12:50 PM
ortman166

It was an absolutely disgraceful stoppage and that ref should be fired, that said I didn't see the outcome being much different if it had went on. Phone Post 3.0
6/24/13 12:58 PM
sadic1

I think both sides of the argument have valid points. It was not a justifiable stoppage per typical protocol or strict adherence to the rules, and Babalu as a respected veteran fighter deserves the opportunity to fight until he is really done, but I can't feel bad about the ref saving him a few more really big shots and another KO that could have shaved a few months or years or life or quality of life for a fighter who has kids and who I like.
6/24/13 1:32 PM
Demolition Man
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole last round was Babalu being beaten around the cage on wobbly legs and IMO he would have the lost the decision anyway. He was out of the fight by the third and the ref just stopped him taking un-needed punishment.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.