UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dolce: Hardest fighter to work with is Rampage

6/20/13 10:55 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Mike Dolce, the preeminent authority in MMA on nutrition, fitness and weight cutting sat down with Case Keefer of the Las Vegas Sun for a wide ranging interview. The interview covered Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson, who had some unkind words for Dolce back in January.

“I’m with Soulmatefood now and they are planning all my nutrition really well," said Jackson in an interview with ESPN. "I was with Mike Dolce for a while but I just got tired of him experimenting on me. I used to have to cut a lot of weight with that guy. He would give me a lot of bread and Nutella sandwiches. At the time I was loving it, but then I had to pay for it when I had to cut all the weight.”

Case Keefer: What was the toughest weight cut or training camp you’ve ever had to oversee?

Miek Dolce: Chael was 233 pounds six weeks before the Michael Bisping fight. To go from 233 to 185 in six weeks is insane. The hardest issue — I would have to say Rampage is the hardest I’ve ever had to deal with. Not because he was the biggest or heaviest because he wasn’t. I helped Duane Ludwig lose 42 pounds in 13 days to fight Jim Miller on short notice here in Las Vegas. He went from 198 to 156 in 13 days with my coaching. It took eight weeks to do the same with Quinton. Now it was so much easier with Duane because Duane is a professional; he’s a good guy with a big heart. He just got down to the business of working with no complaints, no objections, no obstacles. Some of these other guys, Rampage being one of them, everything was a challenge. He’s shown that not just with myself but with every business deal he’s ever been in.

He had taken 14 months off to film “The A-Team” and “The Ultimate Fighter.” He came into camp 51 pounds overweight before the fight - seven weeks and six days before the fight.

We weren’t behind schedule, but we weren’t ahead of schedule. But I worry. I wasn’t satisfied with it. I talked to Quinton and he said, "I’m not cheating. I’m not doing anything wrong."

A day does by and we go to train. It’s a three-story house and Quinton lives on the top floor. He forgets his gym bag, so I say I’ll go up there and get his gym bag. I go up and look and I see something that doesn’t look right inside his pillow - a purple box, or a square. I say, "What the hell is that?" I walk over and see it’s a candy bar, a Cadbury fruit and nut candy bar. There were four of them. Under the bed there were more wrappers. So what he was doing was, we would go and get gas before the gym. We’d sit in the car and fill it up. He’d go in to pay for the gas and the window would be right there, right below window level was the candy rack. He’d buy a bunch of these candy bars and put them in his pocket and go home and eat them.

I caught it and he turned it into a joke. So I say, "What we’re going to do is compromise: You’ve got a chocolate thing. I get it. I understand it. Therefore, I’ve got a healthy alternative to it." In that area in England, the healthiest thing I could find was Nutella, which is really not that bad considering the alternative. It’s a mental thing, not a physical thing, so I start making him Nutella sandwiches, telling him, "It’s the best thing in the world — toasted, warm, crunchy and with banana slices. It’s delicious. That’s what we’ll have if you train your ass off. You’ll get those as a reward system." We started to do that and the weight dropped immediately.

Read entire interview...

Image courtesy of Ms.Tracy Lee.

6/20/13 11:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
catgobling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the smear campaign continues
6/20/13 11:17 AM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that wasnt even a smear article, unless rampage being a fan of candy bars is going to turn people off from him. i thought it was kind of funny, like "oh, rampage"
6/20/13 11:21 AM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WpgWarrior - 
catgobling - the smear campaign continues
No more a shot back at page who dissed dolce saying he was force feeding him Nutella Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, this. Rampage was badmouthing Dolce's program.
catgobling

WpgWarrior - 
No more a shot back at page who dissed dolce saying he was force feeding him Nutella Phone Post 3.0

the interview had other topics, but what was focused on was some negative attention toward an ex-UFC fighter.

btw dolce is awesome, he shouldnt be used this way
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -  We still love you Page Phone Post

speak for yourself. Yo bref stank.
6/20/13 11:23 AM
youarewhatiswrong

catgobling - 
WpgWarrior - 

the interview had other topics, but what was focused on was some negative attention toward an ex-UFC fighter.

btw dolce is awesome, he shouldnt be used this way

It was a DIRECT RESPONSE to Jackson's attack on Dolce. But yes, this is probably a massive zuffa conspiracy.

6/20/13 11:30 AM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like hearing back of the house stories like these. Not to fighter bash, but just to get an inside peek that we don't normally get. Too bad fans and media read too much into it, discouraging people from telling these stories.

VTFU Dolce!! Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:32 AM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage not acting professional? Shocking Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:34 AM
Bootsy Collins
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*buys industrial tub of nutella/waits for pounds to melt away*
6/20/13 11:50 AM
youarewhatiswrong

inf0 - 

fuck a dolce.. so what he makes fighters juice and eat healthy... he's an overpaid babysitter... he should shut the fuck up about real fighters.

I didn't see him say anything bad about any real fighters, just a whiny, energy drinking fasting, baby killing, delusional "I'm gonna be a movie star!" unfunny fuck.

Bring'em, boys.
6/20/13 11:52 AM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 

fuck a dolce.. so what he makes fighters juice and eat healthy... he's an overpaid babysitter... he should shut the fuck up about real fighters.

thats like saying greg jackson is an overpaid high school wrestling coach. you understand why a top-flight athlete would hire a nutritionist don't you? and how can you even argue Dolce's success?
6/20/13 11:53 AM
TopGrinder

Of course this come out after rampage outta UFC Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 12:41 PM
emr7774
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait! Nutella makes you loose weight? Then there is a god! Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 12:44 PM
DAVID H
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 
youarewhatiswrong - 
inf0 - 

why would anyone hire this douchebag after all the flapping he's done about working with Rampage?

He didn't say shit about Rampage until Rampage started badmouthing him, Tiki.

still proves he's unprofessional

Nothing unprofessional about that interview.
6/20/13 12:46 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Dolce for telling the whole story.
6/20/13 12:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol not surprising Phone Post
6/20/13 12:48 PM
Jaybrone
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 
youarewhatiswrong - 
inf0 - 

why would anyone hire this douchebag after all the flapping he's done about working with Rampage?

He probably should have handled it differently. But Rampage talked mad shit I don't blame him for firing back.

6/20/13 12:48 PM
Wovito

DAVID H - 
inf0 - 
youarewhatiswrong - 
inf0 - 

Nothing unprofessional about that interview.

Well Dolce isn't a Doctor, but I'd assume his clients expect him not to disclose the details of their weight cutting program.

Maybe not.
6/20/13 12:49 PM
Wovito

^ confidentiality kind of like how what happens during training stays at the gym.
6/20/13 12:51 PM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha.  I had a feeling that Rampage would get bitten for dissing Dolce. There was NO WAY that he wouldn't have had stories about him cheating on his cut.

All harmless fun and fair play, imo. I'm most horrified at Rampage's terrible taste in fucking candy.

6/20/13 12:59 PM
ThickS0lid N Right
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bootsy Collins - *buys industrial tub of nutella/waits for pounds to melt away*
You eat it dolce diet style like rampage an this guy .. You'll be flyweight in no time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aezmScMlXSQ Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 1:03 PM
Lite
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No surprise. And I'm a big Rampage fan. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 1:09 PM
aritwo

how is nutella a healthier alternative to candy bars?
6/20/13 1:10 PM
Chimp Strength
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other news, coal is black. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.