UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Flops on Spike... only 450k viewers.

6/20/13 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Morgan ?@MMAjunkieJohn 11m

"Should have exact numbers shortly, but it sounds like both live Bellator shows pulled around 450,000 viewers each last night."

Make room for the tombstone because that's a major disaster.

The reality show will most certainly be cancelled. But the more important question is what this means for the live events...

if you can only pull 450k viewers on the best weeknight for mma programming, what on earth will happen when they move to friday nights?

We're talking 350k to 375k viewers. that's not gonna last very long on spike. even 450k wont work on friday primetime.

The fat lady has begun her song.
6/20/13 5:49 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has Kink Mo fought for Bellator in a State with an AC that reports salaries? Would like to know how much is he getting paid for headlining a poor ratings card like this one.
6/20/13 5:50 PM
Libero21
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed the card, it wasn't great but king mo and Ryan Martinez fights were both fun to watch and best of all it was free Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 5:52 PM
TheCrow13
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALogic, I dont understand why you would root for a promotion to fail. I see you post a lot on here, and you really seem like a little boy with a personal vendeta.

6/20/13 5:52 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol sorry meant KinG Mo.
6/20/13 5:53 PM
luctaro

TheCrow13 - 

MMALogic, I dont understand why you would root for a promotion to fail. I see you post a lot on here, and you really seem like a little boy with a personal vendeta.

makes it fun.. Its like rooting for a sports team, you want the other team to fail.
6/20/13 5:54 PM
Naderhood
802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheCrow13 -

Get used to it. He's a known Zuffa shill and the only time he ever posts is when he's shitting on Bellator. Same old song. Prob one of Cindy O's other accounts. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 5:56 PM
the_sandman

Great KO by King Mo.

Still don't understand the Fightmaster format - but I missed the first 10 minutes of the show. I don't understand how Shamrock is going to get a full team? Do the last fighters up just get stuck with him?
6/20/13 5:57 PM
Hired Gun
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give everyone something for free and it's still not good enough. I for one am pulling for Bellator.
6/20/13 5:57 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Naderhood -
TheCrow13 -

Get used to it. He's a known Zuffa shill and the only time he ever posts is when he's shitting on Bellator. Same old song. Prob one of Cindy O's other accounts. Phone Post 3.0
I only wish eddie is free Phone Post
6/20/13 5:58 PM
MMALOGIC

you gotta wonder what this means for bellators budget. Viacom is gonna divest heavily out of mma at this point... but to what extent?

will they keep it around in a late night timeslot? the only timeslot bellator would work on spike would be on thursday nights at 11pm to 1am - but even that's a stretch.

I expect Rampage to start complaining any day now. Randy Couture must be kicking himself right about now.
6/20/13 6:00 PM
Chris27

Wow thats brutally bad.

Expect them to cancell the Friday slot and go back to Thurs after TNA.

6/20/13 6:02 PM
Authority Figure

Pretty sure you don't know what "flop" means. Phone Post
6/20/13 6:05 PM
MMALOGIC

TheCrow13 - 

it may seem that way... but im not rooting. talking reality is not rooting. I do however hate their business practices though.

I dont have a personal problem with their restrictive contracts - though i do believe it hurts them immensely because open contracts would mean better names for less money which would have likely been more successful in the ratings. There model just doesnt work with Game Theory.

My personal problem with them is that, ok you have restrictive contracts... fine. but then they take it to another level by keeping guys in court for no reason than to bleed the fighter dry.

they're doing it to eddie, did it to Jonathan brookins, and a bunch of other fighters.

That's the cancerous part I aim to erradicate from this sport.

I would love for fights to remain on spike... the only way I see that happening is a cheaper and more marketable alternative which ive explained numerous times.

Instead of trying to compete with the UFC just become the default option. You'll get more people willing to sign with you (for less money) and the fans will be more eager to watch because they'll be able to follow their favorite bellator fighters to the UFC instead of to limbo.
6/20/13 6:06 PM
luctaro

For me the real bad news are the ratings for the fights. If the fights got those low numbers, thats bad.

the reality show should always get lower numbers than the live card.
6/20/13 6:08 PM
TheKidAintMine
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjorn better start doing something drastic now.

Viacom, unlike Zuffa, isn't in the MMA business for the long haul. For Viacom, Bellator is just another business unit that needs to start making money and justifying its existence sooner rather than later.

That's the problem with these large companies that have no history in MMA and that don't have a love for the sport getting involved in the MMA game. They want quick returns and aren't in it for the long term.
6/20/13 6:10 PM
MMALOGIC

Chris27 - 

Wow thats brutally bad.

Expect them to cancell the Friday slot and go back to Thurs after TNA.

Yeah but they are not gonna sacrifice TNA for this shit. TNA will keep their prime 9pm to 11pm timeslot. TNA is the flagship product on spike.

But yes, if they do keep bellator it will likely be in a late night timeslot after TNA (11pm to 1am). if that happens i dont even see that lasting very long. It's too expensive to run a national promotion.

Way cheaper to simply license programming from regional events like legacy, etc... the way hdnet does it.
FixedPartialArts

What a ridiculous overreaction to the ratings at a time when many didn't know they were on. They changed nights and weren't on in 2 and a half months. It's moronic to make conclusions about how they'd do on a regular night.

They also lost their main event, had a ton of mismatches, and commercials.

Yeah, let's pull the plug now, after solid ratings in a late time slot in their debut season on Spike.

The Viacom short-sightedness, having them sign more UFC cast-offs for the perceived initial draw, and diluting matches because they want to make one star, has them going in the wrong direction.

But it would be the next level of short-sightedness to then give up after some success and when obvious adjustments can be easily made. Stop with the huge gap between seasons, UFC cast-offs, mismatches, and excessive commercials. Then see where you're at.

LOL at the notion that one night spells doom. I expect as much from a Zuffa shill like "MMALogic" but that's an embarrassing statement from a journalist like John Morgan. I don't know his history. Maybe he has an axe to grind too.
TheKidAintMine
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
TheCrow13 - 

it may seem that way... but im not rooting. talking reality is not rooting. I do however hate their business practices though.

I dont have a personal problem with their restrictive contracts - though i do believe it hurts them immensely because open contracts would mean better names for less money which would have likely been more successful in the ratings. There model just doesnt work with Game Theory.

My personal problem with them is that, ok you have restrictive contracts... fine. but then they take it to another level by keeping guys in court for no reason than to bleed the fighter dry.

they're doing it to eddie, did it to Jonathan brookins, and a bunch of other fighters.

That's the cancerous part I aim to erradicate from this sport.

I would love for fights to remain on spike... the only way I see that happening is a cheaper and more marketable alternative which ive explained numerous times.

Instead of trying to compete with the UFC just become the default option. You'll get more people willing to sign with you (for less money) and the fans will be more eager to watch because they'll be able to follow their favorite bellator fighters to the UFC instead of to limbo.

FREE EDDIE ALVAREZ!!!!!!!!
6/20/13 6:11 PM
Chris27

Live event did 480k

Fight Master did 432k

6/20/13 6:14 PM
Chris27

FixedPartialArts - What a ridiculous overreaction to the ratings at a time when many didn't know they were on. They changed nights and weren't on in 2 and a half months. It's moronic to make conclusions about how they'd do on a regular night.

Yeah, let's pull the plug now, after solid ratings in a late time slot in their debut season on Spike.

The Viacom short-sightedness, having them sign more UFC cast-offs for the perceived initial draw, and diluting matches because they want to make one star, has them going in the wrong direction.

But it would be the next level of short-sightedness to then give up after some success and when obvious adjustments can be easily made. Stop with the huge gap between seasons, UFC cast-offs, mismatches, and excessive commercials. Then see where you're at.

LOL at the notion that one night spells doom. I expect as much from a Zuffa shill like "MMALogic" but that's an embarrassing statement from a journalist like John Morgan. I don't know his history. Maybe he has an axe to grind too.

What did John Morgan say?  What are you talking about axe to grind? 

6/20/13 6:18 PM
MMALOGIC

FixedPartialArts - What a ridiculous overreaction to the ratings at a time when many didn't know they were on. They changed nights and weren't on in 2 and a half months. It's moronic to make conclusions about how they'd do on a regular night.

the gap between events gives you more time to promote them... that should help the ratings, not hurt them. Spike spend a ton of time and money promoting this event... they wont spend even a fraction of that on an event during a season.

they wont spend a fraction of that on episode 2 of fightmaster.

Another reason it's an epic disaster is because the numbers are atrocious as it is, but worse yet the planned friday night move will only hurt not help them.
6/20/13 6:20 PM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't look great Phone Post
6/20/13 6:20 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great numbers, this is the highest rated Fight Master EVER
6/20/13 6:24 PM
FixedPartialArts

Chris27 - 

Live event did 480k

Fight Master did 432k

That's really bad, but not as extreme as the report/speculation.

Morgan needs to settle the hell down. The sky isn't falling, chicken little.

But Viacom does need to not be so ridiculously short-sighted. They are threatening to ruin the foundation that the MMA minds with Bellator laid.

Yes, it's foolish to keep switching nights. They went from Thursday to Wednesday all of a sudden. Then I believe their next season debut will be on a Saturday, before settling in on Fridays. Many don't know when they are on unlike before, and indeed returning to Fridays like on MTV2 is a horrible plan.

Also, it was overly optimistic to think the average fan wanted to sit thru that much MMA, especially when there are a billion commercials in between.

And I've already talked to you about the myopia of forcing stars in one-sided matches down our throats instead of trying to put the best matches possible like Alvarez-Chandler and hope they emerge from them. Fans will stay tuned in and come back for exciting matches. Last nights matches were predictably not exciting.

Their problems are easily fixable, it's just a question if the cheap geniuses who brought us Repo Games can do it, or they'll start letting the Bellator people actually do their jobs. They think they built UFC, and that's deluded. That's who the Bellator brass are dealing with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.