UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Flops on Spike... only 450k viewers.

6/20/13 6:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ morgans words are in quotes... the rest are mine.
FixedPartialArts

Chris27 - 
FixedPartialArts - What a ridiculous overreaction to the ratings at a time when many didn't know they were on. They changed nights and weren't on in 2 and a half months. It's moronic to make conclusions about how they'd do on a regular night.

They also lost their main event, had a ton of mismatches, and commercials.

Yeah, let's pull the plug now, after solid ratings in a late time slot in their debut season on Spike.

The Viacom short-sightedness, having them sign more UFC cast-offs for the perceived initial draw, and diluting matches because they want to make one star, has them going in the wrong direction.

But it would be the next level of short-sightedness to then give up after some success and when obvious adjustments can be easily made. Stop with the huge gap between seasons, UFC cast-offs, mismatches, and excessive commercials. Then see where you're at.

LOL at the notion that one night spells doom. I expect as much from a Zuffa shill like "MMALogic" but that's an embarrassing statement from a journalist like John Morgan. I don't know his history. Maybe he has an axe to grind too.

What did John Morgan say?  What are you talking about axe to grind? 

I wondered about it. I made no definitive statements.

And on second look, that was all ZuffaLogic after a John Morgan quote. I should have read more closely or figured since a no semi respected MMA writer is that biased or over-reactive.
luctaro
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FixedPartialArts - 
Chris27 - 

Live event did 480k

Fight Master did 432k

That's really bad, but not as extreme as the report/speculation.

Morgan needs to settle the hell down. The sky isn't falling, chicken little.

But Viacom does need to not be so ridiculously short-sighted. They are threatening to ruin the foundation that the MMA minds with Bellator laid.

Yes, it's foolish to keep switching nights. They went from Thursday to Wednesday all of a sudden. Then I believe their next season debut will be on a Saturday, before settling in on Fridays. Many don't know when they are on unlike before, and indeed returning to Fridays like on MTV2 is a horrible plan.

Also, it was overly optimistic to think the average fan wanted to sit thru that much MMA, especially when there are a billion commercials in between.

And I've already talked to you about the myopia of forcing stars in one-sided matches down our throats instead of trying to put the best matches possible like Alvarez-Chandler and hope they emerge from them. Fans will stay tuned in and come back for exciting matches. Last nights matches were predictably not exciting.

Their problems are easily fixable, it's just a question if the cheap geniuses who brought us Repo Games can do it, or they'll start letting the Bellator people actually do their jobs. They think they built UFC, and that's deluded. That's who the Bellator brass are dealing with.

What has Morgan said that has bothered you so much? He only posted the numbers on twitter.
6/20/13 6:33 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Acording to Meltzer, Spike is blaming the NHL playoff game for the low numbers.
6/20/13 6:36 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Mmalogic, first to jump on the bellator hate. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 6:37 PM
RicGillespie

FixedPartialArts - What a ridiculous overreaction to the ratings at a time when many didn't know they were on. They changed nights and weren't on in 2 and a half months. It's moronic to make conclusions about how they'd do on a regular night.

Yeah, let's pull the plug now, after solid ratings in a late time slot in their debut season on Spike.

The Viacom short-sightedness, having them sign more UFC cast-offs for the perceived initial draw, and diluting matches because they want to make one star, has them going in the wrong direction.

But it would be the next level of short-sightedness to then give up after some success and when obvious adjustments can be easily made. Stop with the huge gap between seasons, UFC cast-offs, mismatches, and excessive commercials. Then see where you're at.

LOL at the notion that one night spells doom. I expect as much from a Zuffa shill like "MMALogic" but that's an embarrassing statement from a journalist like John Morgan. I don't know his history. Maybe he has an axe to grind too.

Maybe I think differently than yourself but when a good product is absent for a period of time, I think it would mean that it's return would draw more interest. Not the opposite effect. And the premier of a new show drawing low ratings can't be a very encouraging sign, especially when it seems that for the most part, from the history of TUF shows, the first episode is usually the peak and then it declines from there.

Not good news for an advertising driven product,imho. Who would want to pay to put their product on in these timeslot when so few people are watching, comparatively speaking.
6/20/13 6:37 PM
Chris27

“A good chunk of those viewers, when asking where did (Bellator’s viewers) go, went to the NHL,” said David Schwarz, Spike TV’s Senior Vice President of Communications. “Our research has shown that there is a lot of crossover between MMA fans and hockey fans.”

That’s not an excuse, just an explanation for why Bellator’s viewership dropped off so significantly from Season 8. Spike believes that Fight Master’s viewership will improve as the series grows legs over its summer run, according to Schwarz.

“We’re still optimistic that we’ll see a jump up in ratings.”

6/20/13 6:42 PM
zebers3
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lynchman - Acording to Meltzer, Spike is blaming the NHL playoff game for the low numbers.

And in Bellator's defense. That game was fuckin' awesome. I watched it over Bellator and do not regret my decision. I'm gonna wait till they aren't up against Boston/Chicago to decide if they are gonna flop because this series has been ridiculous.
6/20/13 6:42 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - It may not be a total disaster. It comes down to what Spike wanted for that time slot and what the demographics were. 500k may be a bomb on one channel at one time, and a smashing success on another channel at another time. Plus reality shows are super cheap. Certainly doesn't sound good though.

I would not say it is a disaster, but those numbers are bad.

If I am Bellator, my concern is that the rest of the FM season does not have the live fights to help draw and audience.
6/20/13 6:47 PM
HexRei

big_roy_fan - blue name please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

i may have to change my twitter name to bellator sucks once again

That would be the classy thing to do. Next, you could fuck yourself in the ass with a fistful of steak knives.
6/20/13 6:47 PM
FixedPartialArts

RicGillespie - 

Maybe I think differently than yourself but when a good product is absent for a period of time, I think it would mean that it's return would draw more interest. Not the opposite effect. And the premier of a new show drawing low ratings can't be a very encouraging sign, especially when it seems that for the most part, from the history of TUF shows, the first episode is usually the peak and then it declines from there.

Not good news for an advertising driven product,imho. Who would want to pay to put their product on in these timeslot when so few people are watching, comparatively speaking.

You have to know when an event is for that to matter. Maybe if they returned on Thursday in their normal time slot, it would have been a different story. Different night and time slot, and even some of the people who knew Bellator was returning around this time had to be confused.

Also, having a headliner, matches that aren't predictable, don't only last for one minute given the viewer little actual fight action in 2 hours, and not multiple times going back to commercial after you've just come back from one, might have in not turning viewers off.

6/20/13 6:51 PM
InvisibleControl

It was the timing. I didn't see any advertising for the fights other then saying it was last night but no times. I assumed it would come on at 11:30 like always. I flick trough the channels at 10:30 and realize the main card only has 2 fights left... What the fuck?

They really need to lean to market better. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 6:53 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They might do a second season, they will throw on Rampage or Roy if they sign them
6/20/13 6:54 PM
ChaosOverkill
735 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/20/13 6:55 PM
Authority Figure -  Pretty sure you don't know what "flop" means. Phone Post

half what they did on MTV or last season is fairly floppy. Hopefully it improves, I would rather not see all those fighters out of work

6/20/13 6:55 PM
GeneraI
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Great numbers, this is the highest rated Fight Master EVER
Haha. True. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 6:58 PM
UGCTTN00B
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't even know this was going on till a few days before the show, much less King Mo and Babalu were on the card.
6/20/13 7:08 PM
epwar
538 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
TheCrow13 - 

MMALogic, I dont understand why you would root for a promotion to fail. I see you post a lot on here, and you really seem like a little boy with a personal vendeta.

it may seem that way... but im not rooting. talking reality is not rooting. I do however hate their business practices though.

I dont have a personal problem with their restrictive contracts - though i do believe it hurts them immensely because open contracts would mean better names for less money which would have likely been more successful in the ratings. There model just doesnt work with Game Theory.

My personal problem with them is that, ok you have restrictive contracts... fine. but then they take it to another level by keeping guys in court for no reason than to bleed the fighter dry.

they're doing it to eddie, did it to Jonathan brookins, and a bunch of other fighters.

That's the cancerous part I aim to erradicate from this sport.

I would love for fights to remain on spike... the only way I see that happening is a cheaper and more marketable alternative which ive explained numerous times.

Instead of trying to compete with the UFC just become the default option. You'll get more people willing to sign with you (for less money) and the fans will be more eager to watch because they'll be able to follow their favorite bellator fighters to the UFC instead of to limbo.

LOL @ you acting like you're not rooting for them to fail when you call them "Bellashit" in most of your posts here.  We get it, you don't like Bellator but it is getting creepy obsessive at this point.

6/20/13 7:16 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iamsaddened

6/20/13 7:22 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didnt watch it, partly cause of my own undoing and partly because of conflicting recording/tv watching. First off, I dont know if its cable company dependent but their live show was tape delayed for me so I had to watch it later than I planned. I did watch that thought. I then had conflicting recordings scheduled so I decided I'd catch a later showing of the reality show. Well as it turned out, instead of showing the reality show twice, they showed the tape delayed live event again.

I'll be sure to catch a replay and get my recordings set for next week. I hope the show does well. I'd like a better alternative to TUF's worn out premise.
6/20/13 7:24 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i watched it , im glad

6/20/13 7:59 PM
Nexuscrawlers
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't the summer series usually do much less than the regular season? Phone Post
6/20/13 8:00 PM
Nexuscrawlers
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hong Kong Phooey -

i watched it , im glad

This. It was a fun card. Phone Post
6/20/13 8:02 PM
Dominicf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
TheCrow13 - 

MMALogic, I dont understand why you would root for a promotion to fail. I see you post a lot on here, and you really seem like a little boy with a personal vendeta.

it may seem that way... but im not rooting. talking reality is not rooting. I do however hate their business practices though.

I dont have a personal problem with their restrictive contracts - though i do believe it hurts them immensely because open contracts would mean better names for less money which would have likely been more successful in the ratings. There model just doesnt work with Game Theory.

My personal problem with them is that, ok you have restrictive contracts... fine. but then they take it to another level by keeping guys in court for no reason than to bleed the fighter dry.

they're doing it to eddie, did it to Jonathan brookins, and a bunch of other fighters.

That's the cancerous part I aim to erradicate from this sport.

I would love for fights to remain on spike... the only way I see that happening is a cheaper and more marketable alternative which ive explained numerous times.

Instead of trying to compete with the UFC just become the default option. You'll get more people willing to sign with you (for less money) and the fans will be more eager to watch because they'll be able to follow their favorite bellator fighters to the UFC instead of to limbo.

You constantly bashed Strikeforce too (before they were sold to your beloved Zuffa). What was your problem with them?
6/20/13 8:05 PM
AMR Group
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in a previous post, but I prefer to watch the fights live. I have Comcast and I live on the West Coast, but even though the fights are happening, we have to wait 3 hours before we can watch it and with social networking, by the time they air out here most people already know whats happened so where is the incentive to watch it at that point?

Would you watching this upcoming game 7 of the NBA Finals knowing the winner was already determined hours ago? Probably not.

This is THE prime example of the disconnect between the way MMA is perceived by a network who gets involved with MMA based solely on demographics. To them MMA is not a sport, it's just another TV Show.
6/20/13 8:05 PM
I LOVE GSP

they need to just advertise I didn't know it was on yesterday until I came here after work.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.