UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Flops on Spike... only 450k viewers.

6/20/13 8:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AMR Group
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in a previous post, but I prefer to watch the fights live. I have Comcast and I live on the West Coast, but even though the fights are happening, we have to wait 3 hours before we can watch it and with social networking, by the time they air out here most people already know whats happened so where is the incentive to watch it at that point?

Would you watching this upcoming game 7 of the NBA Finals knowing the winner was already determined hours ago? Probably not.

This is THE prime example of the disconnect between the way MMA is perceived by a network who gets involved with MMA based solely on demographics. To them MMA is not a sport, it's just another TV Show.
6/20/13 8:05 PM
I LOVE GSP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they need to just advertise I didn't know it was on yesterday until I came here after work.
6/20/13 8:30 PM
PrettyBoy
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALogic did this all last season with BellatorMMA too. He came out saying if they did 600k they were done. They came out and did 900k. He then said the ratings would fall after the initial push. They went from 700k- 900k the rest of the season. By the end of the season he was saying they needed to be doing over 900k all the time or they would be gone.

It's so lame and predictable at this point he is clearly a Zuffa shill trying to get back at BellatorMMA for shitting on UFC's FX TUF numbers. Every time BellatorMMA has an event you can expect a MMALogic thread the next day saying why these numbers suck and when they will be cancelled.

Just stop watching if you don't like Bellator man. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 8:37 PM
Jack Skellington
794 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I LOVE GSP - they need to just advertise I didn't know it was on yesterday until I came here after work.

same, I forgot it was on

6/20/13 8:57 PM
quidnunc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they were pulling in 800+k for some events before so it's not like people wouldn't watch bellator if it's on the right time with the right lead in (and fights people actually want to watch)

my cable company, rogers who shows ufc events on their channel conveniently decided to take spike off basic cable but the channel is shit in general so probably just a coincidence if their overall viewership is terrible for basic cable
6/20/13 9:18 PM
Haadogei

people didn't know it was on.

when mma was more underground this ratings talk was more interesting to me. Now I realize any one night of ratings doesn't mean anything.

If they survived being on MTV2 and ESPN Deportes you can hardly say it's all over after a random Wednesday night in June.
6/20/13 9:24 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what a shill-storm!

6/20/13 9:37 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like to say,

"That fat lady isn't singing yet, but she's in the back room warming up going fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laaaaaa"

6/20/13 9:37 PM
donnybrook
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up here in Boston I was in the firehouse for the Bellator card. Pretty much every guy in the station watches any live MMA or boxing show when its on. As it was game 4 of the Stanley Cup of the Bruins vs the "sauce is on top of the cheese so it's really not even pizza"/ "we'll just steal the mascot from the Washington DC NFL team"/ "Danke Shane is sung by Abe Froman at our parades"/errrrrrrrrr, Blac-cocks game, all chose to watch hockey over MMA.

Don't worry about ratings during Stanley Cup in June. Phone Post
6/20/13 9:43 PM
GeoDim
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm far from a casual MMA fan and even I missed Bellator last night, expecting it to be on Thursday night. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 9:52 PM
Rob San Soo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I miss strike force , but I miss pride more lol Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 9:55 PM
MostLegit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't watch all the minor league MMA but I used to watch Bellator. Their predatory contract policies have made me decide to watch WSoF instead. I can only voice my dissatisfaction with what I choose to watch. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 9:58 PM
ColefistbumpedmyBuffer

It was on at the same time as the hockey game Phone Post
6/20/13 10:00 PM
ColefistbumpedmyBuffer

donnybrook - Up here in Boston I was in the firehouse for the Bellator card. Pretty much every guy in the station watches any live MMA or boxing show when its on. As it was game 4 of the Stanley Cup of the Bruins vs the "sauce is on top of the cheese so it's really not even pizza"/ "we'll just steal the mascot from the Washington DC NFL team"/ "Danke Shane is sung by Abe Froman at our parades"/errrrrrrrrr, Blac-cocks game, all chose to watch hockey over MMA.

Don't worry about ratings during Stanley Cup in June. Phone Post
Screw you, bro. Howd that OT goal taste? Phone Post
6/20/13 10:05 PM
The Lurker Below

not sure about anyone else but here in southern Ontario I had to look pretty hard to find SPIKE TV for some reason. Last I checked, spike was channel 32 on Rogers in my area and it took me 15 minutes to find that the channel was moved to something like 290.

I'm sure that wasn't everyone's case, however I had to start looking for a stream before I stumbled on the channel.
6/20/13 11:07 PM
Naderhood
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - MMALogic did this all last season with BellatorMMA too. He came out saying if they did 600k they were done. They came out and did 900k. He then said the ratings would fall after the initial push. They went from 700k- 900k the rest of the season. By the end of the season he was saying they needed to be doing over 900k all the time or they would be gone.

It's so lame and predictable at this point he is clearly a Zuffa shill trying to get back at BellatorMMA for shitting on UFC's FX TUF numbers. Every time BellatorMMA has an event you can expect a MMALogic thread the next day saying why these numbers suck and when they will be cancelled.

For fucks sake THIS Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:24 PM
TheMessiah

I dvred Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 11:25 PM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dermotfix - 

what a shill-storm!

It's like a battle royal between the Zuffa shills and the Bellator shills. The Zuffa shills claiming the ratings foreshadow the imminent death of Bellator (the same death they have been predicting for five years) and the Bellator shills trying to put a positive spin on what are pretty obviously bad ratings. The truth is, both sides are right to a certain degree. They are shitty ratings, but it's only one fucking night and doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Bellator is CHEAP programming for Spike. That is why Viacom bought it. To fill up Spike's schedule on the cheap and maintain their position as the cable network that delivers the male 18-35 demographic. As long as it remains cheap, they are probably safe. The time to start worrying is if Viacom starts dumping money into them. Once real money starts getting thrown around, expectations suddenly become a lot higher and the consequences of failing to meet expectations become a lot more dire.
6/20/13 11:26 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

MMfan2013 - 
MMALOGIC - 
Chris27 - 

Wow thats brutally bad.

Expect them to cancell the Friday slot and go back to Thurs after TNA.

Yeah but they are not gonna sacrifice TNA for this shit. TNA will keep their prime 9pm to 11pm timeslot. TNA is the flagship product on spike.

But yes, if they do keep bellator it will likely be in a late night timeslot after TNA (11pm to 1am). if that happens i dont even see that lasting very long. It's too expensive to run a national promotion.

Way cheaper to simply license programming from regional events like legacy, etc... the way hdnet does it.

Yeah paying a license fee for a glorified KOTC show like Legacy is much cheaper. But you get what you pay for. Viacom is not worried about the quality of Bellator , nor the opinions of a few random people who monopolize the UG with negative rants.

Has Bellator or Bjorn ever said "We're competing with UFC--We give a fuck what they're doing? No. In fact, Bjorn never even mentions DFW or much of the UFC"

They focus on what "They're doing" not what others are doing. That's rule #1 of building a successful brand. Which obviously you've never have a hand in doing.

I'm pretty sure rule #1 would be having a product people want.
6/20/13 11:29 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

Friday night is probably the worst night of the week for the demographic they are going for.
6/20/13 11:32 PM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bozy -  Is 450k really that bad. They can't all be record breaking. Phone Post

It's pretty bad.

It's about 1/2 of what they drew on a good night last season.

I don't buy the hockey excuse either. The UFC used to demolish hockey when they went head-to-head. I believe Spike even beat the NHL playoffs in 2012 when they were showing UFC re-runs. The crossover is not that great south of America's hat.

I think the ratings were down because (1) no more lead-in from TNA and (2) they lost some viewers in the switch to a new night. The second problem will probably sort itself out, but not having that TNA lead-in is going to remain a thorn in their side.
6/21/13 12:11 AM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naderhood - 
PrettyBoy - MMALogic did this all last season with BellatorMMA too. He came out saying if they did 600k they were done. They came out and did 900k. He then said the ratings would fall after the initial push. They went from 700k- 900k the rest of the season. By the end of the season he was saying they needed to be doing over 900k all the time or they would be gone.

For fucks sake THIS Phone Post 3.0

UG News son. UG news.
6/21/13 12:16 AM
12SixElbow
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheKidAintMine - Bjorn better start doing something drastic now.

Viacom, unlike Zuffa, isn't in the MMA business for the long haul. For Viacom, Bellator is just another business unit that needs to start making money and justifying its existence sooner rather than later.

That's the problem with these large companies that have no history in MMA and that don't have a love for the sport getting involved in the MMA game. They want quick returns and aren't in it for the long term.

Source on Bellator not making profit?

I'd be interested in seeing it.

The last Bellator card with payout numbers I saw was well under 150K for the entire cards payouts. Of course you've got flying guys in, costs associated with the space, etc... But remember Bellator is doing these things at very small venues (compared to UFC). Seems like it would be very hard for them to do a show on television with all the advertising and sponsors they have and not turn a profit.

6/21/13 12:21 AM
12SixElbow
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/21/13 12:22 AM
Steve4192 - 
bozy -  Is 450k really that bad. They can't all be record breaking. Phone Post

It's pretty bad.

It's about 1/2 of what they drew on a good night last season.

I don't buy the hockey excuse either. The UFC used to demolish hockey when they went head-to-head. I believe Spike even beat the NHL playoffs in 2012 when they were showing UFC re-runs. The crossover is not that great south of America's hat.

I think the ratings were down because (1) no more lead-in from TNA and (2) they lost some viewers in the switch to a new night. The second problem will probably sort itself out, but not having that TNA lead-in is going to remain a thorn in their side.

Source on the UFC "demolishing" a Stanley cup game?

The NHL Stanley Cup game between the Boston Bruins and the Chicago Blackhawks drew 6.64 million viewers (Which UFC has had that many viewers in the US???) when it aired starting at 8 p.m. EDT.  Bellator 96 kicked off at the same time, and the new reality show was still airing while the game was ongoing.

6/21/13 12:30 AM
armbarheelhook
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't really know and i don't care too mich about ratings. Let the bigwigs worry about that. Just give me some exciting and entertaining fights to watch and i will be happy.

I will say however that Bellator 96 was sold out. On Tuesday night they were offering (buy 1 ticket at regular price get 3 free).
Needless to say that place was packed with only a handful of empty seats.

I think it would be safe to say that evveryone there at the event had a good time with not only some exciting fights on the card, but to also meet all 4 coaches in person and ofcourse the ticket prices. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.