UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Where do I start?

6/20/13 10:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KSU
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Simple question. I've never been an atheist, but raised to blame everything on god. Even things that were my fault. Thanks to my wife I have a passion for truth and knowledge. I'm just really confused on new and old testament rules. Where do I start to try and understand? Phone Post
6/21/13 7:29 AM
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you mean like keeping animal sacrifices in the Old Testament? Can you give an example bout what you're referring to?
6/21/13 11:43 AM
KSU
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes like the animal sacrifices, the forbidden foods, the harsh punishments. The sermon on the mound. The new testament doesn't really give many rules. Do you still have to follow the old testament rules? Phone Post
6/21/13 12:01 PM
foggybottom
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would start by reading secular, introductory descriptions of the various Christian denominations and how they each approach this subject.

6/21/13 3:10 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't start with learning the rules as much as trying to learn what all this stuff means.  I am a Jew and cannot comment on where to start in the NT but if you want to start understanding I would start by learning Genesis.  There really aren't too many rules there. 

Robert Alter has a great translation http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Translation-Commentary-Robert-Alter/dp/039331670X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371841430&sr=8-1&keywords=robert+alter+genesis

Leon R Kass has a great practicle explanation for the content:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Beginning-Wisdom-Reading-Genesis/dp/0226425673/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371841501&sr=8-1&keywords=Leon+R+Kass

Another great series of essays are from Jonathan Sacks:  http://www.amazon.com/Covenant-Conversation-Weekly-Reading-Genesis/dp/1592640206/ref=la_B001HCVVK8_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371841570&sr=1-4

Yes it's a lot of reading but these are some of more brilliant minds that will open up your mind.

Once you understand more then go from there.  Don't bog yourself down with rules.  Be a good person & approach the subject earnestly.  Yes?

6/21/13 4:43 PM
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a few thoughts.

Ignore pointy headed intellectuals that want to impose their biases on the masses.

Most ministers (Christian, Jewish, Mormon……) are emotionally and financially invested in the doctrine of their denomination.

If someone is trying to sell you on a doctrine and it takes writing a book to make their case then they are likely trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

The most profound biblical truths are imbedded into your everyday relationships.

Don’t get stuck on any one topic for too long. If you can’t make since of something put it on the self and maybe you’ll get it next time around.

Read your bible for yourself. Look for big themes that seem important to your Creator. Hint: if HE repeats something over and over pay attention.

Learn the difference between description and proscription. Just because somebody did something or offered an opinion in the bible does not make it a commandment or even a good idea.

No matter what anybody says, do not start reading in John or any book other than Genesis. Read it like you would any other book, beginning to end.

Don’t get bogged down in the details yet, just learn the basic story. Then your thematic studies will be more balanced and have wider perspective.

There are several people on this forum that do their best to keep the “Old Testament Rules”. If you have any specific questions I am sure you will get more specific answers.

Blessings on your journey,
Bydge
6/21/13 5:56 PM
KSU

Thanks a lot everyone. Some really good ideas and suggestions. I've been told to skip around books. I started in Luke, then Leviticus, john, Galatians, etc. I think I'm just going to go to genesis and try reading like a regular book. Appreciate the input Phone Post
6/21/13 6:45 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RoninBT - I have a few thoughts.

Ignore pointy headed intellectuals that want to impose their biases on the masses.

Most ministers (Christian, Jewish, Mormon……) are emotionally and financially invested in the doctrine of their denomination.

If someone is trying to sell you on a doctrine and it takes writing a book to make their case then they are likely trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

The most profound biblical truths are imbedded into your everyday relationships.

Don’t get stuck on any one topic for too long. If you can’t make since of something put it on the self and maybe you’ll get it next time around.

Read your bible for yourself. Look for big themes that seem important to your Creator. Hint: if HE repeats something over and over pay attention.

Learn the difference between description and proscription. Just because somebody did something or offered an opinion in the bible does not make it a commandment or even a good idea.

No matter what anybody says, do not start reading in John or any book other than Genesis. Read it like you would any other book, beginning to end.

Don’t get bogged down in the details yet, just learn the basic story. Then your thematic studies will be more balanced and have wider perspective.

There are several people on this forum that do their best to keep the “Old Testament Rules”. If you have any specific questions I am sure you will get more specific answers.

Blessings on your journey,
Bydge

I do agree with what you are saying but just to clarify - in case the pushing doctrine thing was pointed at my suggestions - making sense of the creation story is kind of perplexing and understanding it being a major theme throughout biblical scripture takes some savy navigation.  If you've read my posts I am the last one pushing Doctrine.  I read thinkers where the end result isn't you going to church or synagogue it's to see unforseen subtle themes and it actually helps you formulate your own opinions.  Genesis should be a text we all agree on because it's not doctrine and its not laws and rules.  It's a story and I also agree you see these stories in your own life and you end up being amazed that such an ancient text can be so relevant to today!

6/21/13 6:53 PM
Power Paw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've found this website to have some really good answers to a lot of questions that my analytical/scientific mind/background dig into and sponge up the goodness in the Word.

Specifically, regarding the sacrifices:

http://www.gotquestions.org/animal-sacrifices.html

6/21/13 7:03 PM
RoninBT

Nothing I said was directed at you. I can see how you could come to that conclusion but I did not read your post until after I had posted. I thought we made some similar points. It's all good my friend. Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 7:56 PM
770mdm

All good my friend!  Thank you for the clarification

6/22/13 2:00 PM
Saint Stevo

KSU -  Yes like the animal sacrifices, the forbidden foods, the harsh punishments. The sermon on the mound. The new testament doesn't really give many rules. Do you still have to follow the old testament rules? Phone Post

I agree with Robin and stay away from men's philosophy and stay bible only. Read the Gospel and go to a One God Jesus Name Apostolic church and learn more.

1Corinthians 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Learn salvation is Acts 2:38 and the Holy Ghost will guide you through all.
6/27/13 7:13 AM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to read the whole bible, I would suggest reading it chronologically. I'm pretty sure www.youversion.com has a chronological reading plan.
6/27/13 8:50 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all seriousness, most people today believe in dispensational theology which did not exist prior to 1850 started by John Nelson Darby in a breakaway from the Brethren movement in England. Darby was exiled in essence and came to America to hawk his doctrine which was espoused by wife beating drunkard CI Scofield who produced the most popular refernece bible of all time. 

I suggest you read this wiki page which suprisingly is well done with alot of references. Covenant Theology is an answer for Christians who are trying to understand the OT God and the NT God. I have my own views but I think this is historically what the church believed for almost 1900 years without interuption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenantal_theology

6/27/13 2:16 PM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 - 

In all seriousness, most people today believe in dispensational theology which did not exist prior to 1850 started by John Nelson Darby in a breakaway from the Brethren movement in England. Darby was exiled in essence and came to America to hawk his doctrine which was espoused by wife beating drunkard CI Scofield who produced the most popular refernece bible of all time. 

I suggest you read this wiki page which suprisingly is well done with alot of references. Covenant Theology is an answer for Christians who are trying to understand the OT God and the NT God. I have my own views but I think this is historically what the church believed for almost 1900 years without interuption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenantal_theology

Voted up for the actually historicity stated here.
1/13/14 10:58 AM
Joeymarvelous

The rules in the Bible were designed by and for prescientific, superstitious, nomadic/early agrarian men. They have no relevance to modern people. Phone Post 3.0
1/14/14 12:01 PM
770mdm

Hahahaha Phone Post 3.0
4/11/14 2:15 PM
phydeau
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KSU -  Simple question. I've never been an atheist, but raised to blame everything on god. Even things that were my fault. Thanks to my wife I have a passion for truth and knowledge. I'm just really confused on new and old testament rules. Where do I start to try and understand? Phone Post

Please ignore everything written so far in this thread.

Christianity is different from other world religions in that there is nothing between you and God. You can read His revelation for yourself, and decide for yourself what it means.

Yes, some passages are unclear. Yes, some passages are out and out confusing. But the Bible is essentially clear, or put another way it is clear on the essentials, the stuff that matters.

In fact, blood flowed through the gutters of Europe for hundreds of yours to ensure that the people could have copies of the Word and read them for themselves in their own language.

If you don't have a Bible of your own you can get one at Barnes & Noble. They have a selection, and many are good translations of the original Hebrew & Greek written in clear modern English. I prefer New King James, but New International Version is very popular, as is the English Standard Version.

Start with the Gospel of John. Just read it and think about what it says, decide for yourself what it means.

Then try the whole New Testament.
4/12/14 5:33 AM
FearHIM

Start in Genesis and read it all the way through to Revelation. Read it like a book is supposed to be read. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 1:15 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

phydeau - 
KSU -  Simple question. I've never been an atheist, but raised to blame everything on god. Even things that were my fault. Thanks to my wife I have a passion for truth and knowledge. I'm just really confused on new and old testament rules. Where do I start to try and understand? Phone Post

Please ignore everything written so far in this thread.

Christianity is different from other world religions in that there is nothing between you and God. You can read His revelation for yourself, and decide for yourself what it means.

Yes, some passages are unclear. Yes, some passages are out and out confusing. But the Bible is essentially clear, or put another way it is clear on the essentials, the stuff that matters.

In fact, blood flowed through the gutters of Europe for hundreds of yours to ensure that the people could have copies of the Word and read them for themselves in their own language.

If you don't have a Bible of your own you can get one at Barnes & Noble. They have a selection, and many are good translations of the original Hebrew & Greek written in clear modern English. I prefer New King James, but New International Version is very popular, as is the English Standard Version.

Start with the Gospel of John. Just read it and think about what it says, decide for yourself what it means.

Then try the whole New Testament.

Gee what a fantastic analysis of what the guy is asking- Just get a bible and read it. That is why we have 33k different protestant denominations. You cant understand where we are until you understand where our views came from. 

4/18/14 11:13 AM
phydeau
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearHIM - Start in Genesis and read it all the way through to Revelation. Read it like a book is supposed to be read. Phone Post 3.0

worst advice ever. Some of that OT stuff is downright dull.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.