UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Forrest Griffin: Maybe I'll heal, fight again

6/22/13 12:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
909 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and future Hall of Famer, Forrest Griffin, gave an exclusive interview to Heidi Fang of MMA Fight Corner about his impending retirement from MMA. With his UFC Hall of Fame induction coming up at the UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center on July 6, Griffin reflected on his 15-fight career with the UFC, said he may not be done with fighting yet, and explained how it almost didn't happen,

“I was actually a last minute replacement,” Griffin explained. “Some poor guy, who I won’t name, actually failed his drug test for weed, and so I got his spot. I only had 17 days notice. I had just become a cop, and I’d quit my job being a cop in 2002 to become a professional cage fighter. And after years of being broke, and then a low-level bouncer, I decided to finish college and go back to law enforcement.

“And I had just started, had a new job, things were looking up, I was maybe going to take some grad school classes or something – probably not, but the idea was there. I had the application anyway. I was going to do it. But then I was like, ‘Man, it’s that evil mistress, she’s come back. She’s broke my heart once, but she wants me back.’ So I gave it another shot.

“I’m glad,” Griffin said.”If I didn’t, I would have a lot of regret. Like ‘Man, I could’ve been a big superstar like that Stephan Bonnar if I had only done that show. If they’d given me more than 17 days notice’."

“I’ll start training again, September, August. Maybe if I’m just magically healed and like everything works great, then I’ll have to try [fighting] again. But, I’m not healthy now.”

Read entire interview...

6/22/13 12:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
buLLetprooF_JBE
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well of course you will
6/22/13 12:11 AM
rnunz
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome snippet.  Forrest is awesome and I would personally like to see him retire after one last fight but I get it,  and he is doing the best thing for himself.

6/22/13 12:12 AM
The Brool Story Company
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forrest vs Vera

6/22/13 12:50 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's going to end up being one of those fake retirements huh? Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 12:57 AM
Samoa
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's amazing to think that Forrest and Silva have had nearly the identical number of UFC fights and Silva is undefeated. Made me appreciate Anderson's run even more.

Love Forrest's attitude. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 1:18 AM
Ip Man 81

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - It's going to end up being one of those fake retirements huh? Phone Post 3.0
No such thing Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 1:22 AM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

Don't come back unless your heart is into it Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 2:03 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please get your heart into it again and come back for at least one or two fun fights. Another  fight against Shogun,in Vegas, would be awesome. Go out with a war instead of so and so fight against Tito.

WTF am i doing,type like i am actually talking to Forrest. Cant help it though,that dude is still my favorite fighter.

6/22/13 2:17 AM
Ip Man 81

fightharder -

Please get your heart into it again and come back for at least one or two fun fights. Another  fight against Shogun,in Vegas, would be awesome. Go out with a war instead of so and so fight against Tito.

WTF am i doing,type like i am actually talking to Forrest. Cant help it though,that dude is still my favorite fighter.

Not against Shogun please :(

Maybe Nog or Gus Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 2:25 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't do it Forrest Phone Post
6/22/13 2:55 AM
MasterofMartialArts
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please don't. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 3:38 AM
jimbonice

Forrest needs Dana to give him one of those Chuck jobs. Phone Post
6/22/13 6:12 AM
Since93

Don't want to see pillow hands again Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 7:18 AM
Slapsymaxi
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who got popped and lost their Tuf spot?

I'm guessing Burkman? Didn't he fight at 205 till he got nailed for steroids? Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 8:46 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he should fight Matt Hammil. Battle of the unretired retirees. Loser has to retire for good. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 8:49 AM
mose
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forrest vs. wanderlei and forrest vs. henderson are both fights relevant to my interests.

6/22/13 12:42 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - Maybe he should fight Matt Hammil. Battle of the unretired retirees. Loser has to retire for good. Phone Post 3.0

The problem with that - and I say this as someone who likes and respects both guys, their talents, career and as people - the other one will keep fighting.
6/23/13 2:48 AM
bootleg80

1st off Heidi Fang is hot. I think Forrest will fight again. I believe this retirement is more forced on by the UFC than we are being told.
6/23/13 5:50 AM
Fight Life Flip
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight Life Media, Chief Exec. Manager
Great job Heidi! TTT Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 8:42 AM
Haadogei

There's so many older guys still out there to fight so it's cool to me. Shogun, Franklin, lil nog, even cung le or wand. He's got as much left as any of those guys.
6/23/13 9:04 AM
frontrowbrian

He's done. Has been mentally checked out for several years. Very good , almost Great career. Worthy of HOF.
6/23/13 9:53 AM
Blazing Knees

Slapsymaxi - Who got popped and lost their Tuf spot?

I'm guessing Burkman? Didn't he fight at 205 till he got nailed for steroids? Phone Post 3.0

Burkman fought at mw for awhile-not lhw. Florian and Diego fought at mw too to get on TUF- if you can fathom that
6/23/13 12:26 PM
Sprawl 68

Please don't Forrest Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 12:28 PM
Lobo8

No Forest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.