UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How a beard effects the chin

6/22/13 8:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ziga
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen many discussions and comments about how a beard improved a fighters chin. These are my thoughts on it based on what I know.
The first thing to disregard is the cushion comment, saying that a nice bushy beard cushions the blow. A beard has very little resistance so it cushions little to nothing, especially taking the recent study of headgear (which resulted in eliminating headgear in olympic boxing)into consideration.
But it obviously does offer improvement and in my opinion because it functions like whiskers. Many animals, both on land and in water use whiskers to sense their soraundings, before it comes in contact with the face/snout.
So If a fighter has a beard that reaches 3-5 cm from his face/chin, this gives him the advantage, of sensing the strikes he didn't see, 3-5cm before they make contact with the face (as opposed to a fighter with no beard, who only senses the strike he couldn't see, when it makes contact with the face), thus giving him the said distance to roll with them, not absorbing them full force. And fighting is a game of inches, as they say.
6/22/13 8:45 PM
horsemeat grew my head
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where do you buy your weed? Phone Post
6/22/13 8:48 PM
Ziga
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

horsemeat grew my head -  Where do you buy your weed? Phone Post

Same place you buy your witts. I don't.
Are you implying if someone touches your beard/hair but not the actual skin, you don't feel it? Think before you post.
6/22/13 8:48 PM
UGCTT_Messiah
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where have you ever seen this discussed?
6/22/13 8:49 PM
TopGrinder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda obvious op doesn't trane UFC and is under 20 Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 8:51 PM
Ziga

TopGrinder - Kinda obvious op doesn't trane UFC and is under 20 Phone Post 3.0

OP trains Muay Thai (and some boxing) since he was 8, he is 24 now.
6/22/13 8:52 PM
crackers
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always figured it gave a false sense of where the chin actually begins for the opponent with alot of thicker beards. Can't hit what you can't see. Phone Post
6/22/13 8:53 PM
horsemeat grew my head
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ziga -

Are you implying if someone touches your beard/hair but not the actual skin, you don't feel it? Think before you post.
Are you implying that there is anyone alive fast enough to feel a strike on their beard and then slip a punch? Phone Post
6/22/13 8:53 PM
Ziga

crackers -  I always figured it gave a false sense of where the chin actually begins for the opponent with alot of thicker beards. Can't hit what you can't see. Phone Post

You bring up a good point I failed to mention. VU
6/22/13 8:55 PM
Ziga

horsemeat grew my head - 
Ziga -

Are you implying that there is anyone alive fast enough to feel a strike on their beard and then slip a punch? Phone Post

You obviously never fought. You don't need to slip a punch, difference between a ko strike and a non ko strike can be less than an inch.
6/22/13 8:56 PM
Periodik

Interesting idea, but I doubt there's any truth to it. I'm pretty sure the time it takes someone's fist to travel through that 3cm of hair is faster then the time it takes for the sensation through your hair to tell your brain danger is coming, defend yourself. Phone Post
6/22/13 8:56 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ziga - 

Oy, don't misspell 'wits' like that. It doesn't help your case in that context. Also, this is the UG. Don't try and discuss unconventional ideas here... you will be met with a wall of bull-headedness outside of a few stellar posters. Your idea is actually interesting, and does have some precedent biologically speaking. It does sound hilarious though, you have to admit. I'll VTFU.
6/22/13 8:59 PM
Ziga

Periodik -  Interesting idea, but I doubt there's any truth to it. I'm pretty sure the time it takes someone's fist to travel through that 3cm of hair is faster then the time it takes for the sensation through your hair to tell your brain danger is coming, defend yourself. Phone Post

You only need to move a little, to take that KO sting of a punch. Also there is a difference between the speed of conscious movements and instinct. Like when you jump in the water, your eyes close instantly, etc.

But I'm done defending my thoughts, they are just some ideas I decided to share.
6/22/13 9:01 PM
Ziga

RileyPust - 
Ziga - 

Oy, don't misspell 'wits' like that. It doesn't help your case in that context. Also, this is the UG. Don't try and discuss unconventional ideas here... you will be met with a wall of bull-headedness outside of a few stellar posters. Your idea is actually interesting, and does have some precedent biologically speaking. It does sound hilarious though, you have to admit. I'll VTFU.

I'm not a native speaker, so I do my best with the spelling. Thanks for the VU, despite the funny in my post.
Ziga

RileyPust - 
Ziga - 

I'm not a native speaker, so I do my best with the spelling. Thanks for the VU, despite the funny in my post.
myee8
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't do Arlovski much good... Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 9:03 PM
horsemeat grew my head

myee8 - Doesn't do Arlovski much good... Phone Post 3.0
Yeah OP wants Dana to sign the guys from Duck Dynasty Phone Post
6/22/13 9:04 PM
Fisticus
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crackers - I always figured it gave a false sense of where the chin actually begins for the opponent with alot of thicker beards. Can't hit what you can't see. Phone Post
Exactly. Where the hell is Court McGee's chin? I can't find it. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 9:07 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah, I apologize for the jab at your spelling then. Your posts are very readable so good job. This really isn't a bad theory. Thinking that whiskers and beards could have a biological function is not a ridiculous notion. It's like eyelashes on a larger scale. I dunno, it's a more interesting topic than most of the garbage threads that get posted around here.
6/22/13 9:07 PM
Ziga

VD from everywhere. I actually fought with and without a beard so I know it to be true.
I never said it gives you a chin. It improves the ability to roll with the strikes.
6/22/13 9:10 PM
RileyPust

crackers -  I always figured it gave a false sense of where the chin actually begins for the opponent with alot of thicker beards. Can't hit what you can't see. Phone Post

That is also a fantastic point.
6/22/13 9:25 PM
tinytuffnutz
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your on to something OP. Idk if it helps make a stronger chin, but hair does help sense movement.
6/22/13 9:30 PM
aka_rtotheoh

i know for a fact it sucks grappling. it gets all rubbed raw and shit and pulls. ouchy Phone Post
6/22/13 10:00 PM
dakotajudo
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ziga - I've seen many discussions and comments about how a beard improved a fighters chin. These are my thoughts on it based on what I know.
The first thing to disregard is the cushion comment, saying that a nice bushy beard cushions the blow. A beard has very little resistance so it cushions little to nothing, especially taking the recent study of headgear (which resulted in eliminating headgear in olympic boxing)into consideration.
But it obviously does offer improvement and in my opinion because it functions like whiskers. Many animals, both on land and in water use whiskers to sense their soraundings, before it comes in contact with the face/snout.
So If a fighter has a beard that reaches 3-5 cm from his face/chin, this gives him the advantage, of sensing the strikes he didn't see, 3-5cm before they make contact with the face (as opposed to a fighter with no beard, who only senses the strike he couldn't see, when it makes contact with the face), thus giving him the said distance to roll with them, not absorbing them full force. And fighting is a game of inches, as they say.

There are two key flaws to your theory.

FIrst, animal whiskers are not the same as facial hair. Technically, these are specialized sensory organs called vibrissae; stiffer than most hair fibers, more highly ennervated (making them more sensitive) and commonly with some degree of independent muscle control - they can be used like a blind man uses a cane.

Second, if we allow that there is a indeed 3-5 cm buffer, that allows a fighter to sense a strike, we need to consider that this translates to, for a strike with a reasonable velocity of 6 m/s (Olympic boxers throw at +/- 9 m/s - http://bjsportmed.com/content/39/10/710.full ) provides an advance warning of 0.8 milliseconds.

Reaction times to tactile stimuli are on the order of 100 ms (http://www.jneurosci.org/content/26/42/10879.full).

Binocular processing (that is, seeing the punch coming) provides a lot more warning time; predicting from body motions even more. In other words, experience >> beard.

6/22/13 10:04 PM
Seedless619

dakotajudo -
Ziga - I've seen many discussions and comments about how a beard improved a fighters chin. These are my thoughts on it based on what I know.

There are two key flaws to your theory.

FIrst, animal whiskers are not the same as facial hair. Technically, these are specialized sensory organs called vibrissae; stiffer than most hair fibers, more highly ennervated (making them more sensitive) and commonly with some degree of independent muscle control - they can be used like a blind man uses a cane.

Second, if we allow that there is a indeed 3-5 cm buffer, that allows a fighter to sense a strike, we need to consider that this translates to, for a strike with a reasonable velocity of 6 m/s (Olympic boxers throw at +/- 9 m/s - http://bjsportmed.com/content/39/10/710.full ) provides an advance warning of 0.8 milliseconds.

Reaction times to tactile stimuli are on the order of 100 ms (http://www.jneurosci.org/content/26/42/10879.full).

Binocular processing (that is, seeing the punch coming) provides a lot more warning time; predicting from body motions even more. In other words, experience >> beard.

Vu. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.