UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tito: UFC Hall of Fame entry should be by fan vote

6/23/13 9:43 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC Hall of Fame currently honors just nine individuals from the 20 year history of the league:
1. Royce Gracie inducted November 21, 2003    
2. Ken Shamrock inducted November 21, 2003 
3. Dan Severn inducted April 16, 2005   
4. Randy Couture inducted June 24, 2006
5. Mark Coleman inducted March 1, 2008
6. Chuck Liddell inducted July 11, 2009  
7. Charles Lewis Jr inducted July 11, 2009   
8. Matt Hughes inducted May 29, 2010   
9. Tito Ortiz inducted July 7, 2012

In May UFC president Dana White announced that two more fighters would be added, at the UFC Fan Expo preceeding UFC 162 this Summer.

It is widely regarded that the most important fight in the sport's history, and one of the very best, was The Ultimate Fighter 1 finals, between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, on 9 April 2005. Griffin took the unaninous decision, but the performance by both fighters was so extraordinary, that the future of the show - the UFC's last ditch, double down bet on mixed martial arts - was assured.

Griffin went on to win the UFC light heavyweight championship. Bonnar went 8-5 over the next seven years, including losses to Jon Jones and Anderson Silva.

The bond between the two is such that in 2012 Bonnar named his first born son "Griffin."

However, the summer induction was not without controversy, with many fans saying there were more deserving options. Now UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz says Griffin deserves to be in, Bonnar he is not so sure about, and that the fans should decide who is in.

Ortiz's reservations about Bonnar

"Forrest deserves it," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com. "He beat me, and he beat some other really good guys. He was a world champion. He had some great fights. I think he deserves it.

"As far as Stephan, I have nothing against the guy, but you've got to be a world champion, I think, to be in the Hall of Fame."

"That's a big honor to be in the Hall of Fame. It means you had a significance in the sport at one time or another. You look at that, and the Forrest and Stephan fight was a big step for the UFC, so do they deserve it? Possibly. But can one fight get you in the Hall of Fame? I don't know. I guess that's Dana's decision."

Ortiz later indicated an alternate to White decision making.

"I think it should be a fan vote," said Ortiz. "That's what it should really come down to. The fans should consider how much they've known the person, how much they've watched them fight and so forth and just how much the fighter had significance in the sport in general. I think that's the answer."

Late in the week Griffin said he would consider a comeback. Now Tito too said the same, and wants it to be Griffin. The pair fought three times, with Griffin winning the final two. The clash was Tito's retirment fight, but when it was over, Griffin grabbed the mic and spoke to the crowd, earning Tito's continuing ire.

"Forrest, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, for sure," said Ortiz. "I had my bad blood against him in our last fight against each other, but he was on testosterone, and there's a big difference there. He wasn't in his right mind, of course, and he reacted the way he thought he should react at the time. I know he was apologetic because of it, but of course I'm still pissed about it.

"If I did come back for one fight, I think that would be the fight I would come back for. That's just the competitive side of me. I feel like I built my whole life on respect, but the way he disrespected me after my last fight, I was just kind of taken aback by it, like, 'Why is this guy doing this right now?'"

Read entire article...

6/23/13 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
torquemada
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No disrespect, but I have no interest in seeing them fight a fourth time. Phone Post
6/23/13 10:07 AM
thedirtyburger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"he beat me, so he deserves to be in"

That's great logic Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 10:19 AM
Da Ghost

Tito built his whole career around respect? Phone Post
6/23/13 10:45 AM
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So by this logic, Matt Hamill deserves to be in the HOF as well. lol.

Frank Shamrock beat you to a verbal tap from strikes,and was a champion I guess the trophy should be a golden replica of him then.

6/23/13 11:42 AM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito was a good fighter but most of the shit he says is retarded.
Fan voting for the HOF inductees???? R E T A R D E D ! ! ! !

HOF is for people who had an important impact on the history of the sport, doesn't matter if you were a champion or even that good. And just because you were a champ doesnt automatically mean you belong in the HOF. If you were a 'place holder' champ say, during a low point in your divisions history.... Like Sherk, does Sean Sherk belong in the HOF??? Hell no... what about every other heavyweight that holds the belt for 5 minutes before losing it????

No, this is just Tito being Tito and trying to stay relevant . Like usual, its always about him.
6/23/13 11:49 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it was a fan vote everyone that had a solid career and wasn't hated by the fans would get in. Phone Post
6/23/13 12:08 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
It's not a legit HOF without certain people/ fighters like Helio Gracie, Pat Militech, Frank Shamrock, Jens, Ruas, Rizzo, Frye ect. so I don't really pay any attention to the UFC HOF.
6/23/13 12:10 PM
SJBenoist
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We do need a MMA Hall of Fame at some point.

That said, this isn't it. It is a "UFC" Hall of Fame, so Bonnar & Griffin definitely deserve to be in.
They are more responsible for the UFC's rise than any other two fighters in the Zuffa era.
6/23/13 12:15 PM
WickedWyatt234

He's only saying this cause he's already in their... Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 12:18 PM
UGCTT_sideshowsteve
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik is working on an mma hall of fame website right now. I believe fans will vote on nominees for induction. Phone Post
6/23/13 12:23 PM
goldenboyart

Tito and his STUPID idea. No way should it be "Voted" o my Fans. this isn't a damn Popularity contest. It should be based on merit, accomplishments and what they brought to the sport of MMA.

It's completely assinie to think that you HAVE to me a champion in order to get into the HOF.

There's PLENTY of ballplayers in the Baseball HOF that have NEVER been on a Team that won the World Championship (World Series). Same with Football and Basketball.

Tito just shows his stupidity as always.

As far as Stephen Bonner goes, well basically he has 2 things going for him, ACTUALLY 3 things.

1) he was a Charter member of "The Ultimate Fighter" being on the 1st Season of that show.

2) Him and Forest Griffin were in what's arguably called "The Fight Of The Decade" and soem say he actually WON the fight (which I agree with). Hence turning the UFC into a profit making company instead of the company it was which was teetering on the brink of Banckruptcy and being sold in a Fire Sale.

3) Now this is the BIGGEST reason he's going in the UFC HOF. And let's call it what it is, the UFC Hall of Fame.

He was very instrumental in turning around the UFC and making "TUF" show become a hit AND he literally help make DANA and the Brothers MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars. Anyway you want to slice it it comes down to "Show Me The Money" and Stephan and Forest ended up helping turn The UFC into a BILLION DOLLAR company.

So if someone helped me to get a paycheck for 25-45 Million dollars a year (Dana's rumored salary) and no telling what the Bros are making. Then THAT person would definitely be going into MY Hall Of Fame, LOL

There you have it. If you follow the money that explains 99.9% of peoples actions and the reson behind pretty much all decisions made my mankind.

Botton line is Stephan Bonner is going into the HOF because he made many, many people TONS of money and helped turn the UFC into a Billion dollar company just by him and Forest beating the shit out of each other on a small Cable Channel way back in the Day, ha ha.

6/23/13 12:41 PM
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They ruined the HOF credibility anyways after they put Mask in it. Nothing against the guy and RIP but it didn't really make any sense.
6/23/13 1:14 PM
dubate
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like Tito is starting to think that he won't get in and wants to start with the logic of "until the fans decide who gets in, it's not a real HOF". I guarantee you that if Tito was already in, he wouldn't be saying anything about the voting should be determined by the fans. Phone Post
6/23/13 1:20 PM
CT81

dubate - Sounds like Tito is starting to think that he won't get in and wants to start with the logic of "until the fans decide who gets in, it's not a real HOF". I guarantee you that if Tito was already in, he wouldn't be saying anything about the voting should be determined by the fans. Phone Post
Tito is already in... Phone Post 3.0
6/23/13 1:23 PM
RKing85
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any Hall of Fame that is solely at the descretion of company owners is not a real hall of fame.
6/23/13 2:21 PM
Jacinto

RKing85 - Any Hall of Fame that is solely at the descretion of company owners is not a real hall of fame.

Good point.
6/23/13 2:26 PM
Mustard Tiger
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito could have used this opportunity to talk about guys he believe should be inducted but instead he comments on a guy he believes shouldn't be in the UFC hall of fame.

Without his win over Bader, Tito's last successful fight would have been against Ken Shamrock in late 2006.  A strong argument can be made that Tito himself should have never been inducted before Helio Gracie, Pat Militech, Frank Shamrock, Jens Pulver, Mark Ruas, and Kazushi Sakuraba.

My comments aren't intended to minimalize Tito's accomplishments in the sport in any way; he should just really learn when to keep these type of opinions to himself.

6/23/13 2:28 PM
Mustard Tiger
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/13 2:32 PM
WickedWyatt234 - He's only saying this cause he's already in their... Phone Post 3.0

In their what?

6/23/13 2:30 PM
MisterMr

I agree, fan vote!

That being said. We have to vote Tito off the hall of fame.

Heuheuheuheuheu...
6/23/13 3:20 PM
danggook
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - Lesnar would definitely be in if that were the case. Phone Post 3.0
Lesnar is going into the hof.just give it some time. Phone Post
6/23/13 4:07 PM
choadler
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Tito is gonna tito.

I LOVED him as a coach on TUF, which completely surprised me.  I think he was one of the best coaches I have seen to do that show. Really do.

Besides that, I'd be ok with him being less vocal and running his gym. I give him lots of credit, but he has trouble getting out of his own way.

6/23/13 4:24 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Joe Rogan should be next, purely because of the weigh in GIF's. Phone Post 3.0
6/24/13 1:55 AM
ThunderDove

As long as the UFC forces a short list and only one can be chosen from the list then I am ok with this idea of a fan vote.

Also waiting for five years after a fighter "retires" should become a requirement regardless if a fan vote is implemented.
6/24/13 2:10 AM
ChaosOverkill
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media vote or have all the big head coaches like Hume, Jackson, Miletich etc vote on who should go in

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.