UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce: Diaz bros remind me of my own family

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/24/13 12:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The latest, Bruce Buffer issue of FIghters Only, also featured an interview with UFC Hall of Famer Royce Grace.

Royce was asked who his favorite modern day MMA fighters are?

“I like Nick and Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, that whole group," replied Royce. "They remind me a lot of my family. They don’t take BS from anybody. They are there to fight, they are there to win. They don’t walk away from a fight.”

Buy latest issue online...

What do you think UG? Who is your favorite fighter? Does he or she remind you of your family??!?

6/24/13 12:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian Littlefield
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Braulio Estima.... The end. 

6/24/13 12:10 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Estima in BJJ = fight? or a grappling match ;-)
6/24/13 12:13 PM
Brian Littlefield

ArthurKnoqOut - Estima in BJJ = fight? or a grappling match ;-)

Whats worse to walk away from? ;-)

6/24/13 12:16 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Littlefield - 
ArthurKnoqOut - Estima in BJJ = fight? or a grappling match ;-)

Whats worse to walk away from? ;-)

BJJ...considering the Diaz bros have very limited experience and Braulio is light years ahead. It was a dumb match to make as was Schaub vs Cyborg at Metamoris. Anyhow, I was being facetious :)
6/24/13 12:20 PM
possum jitsu
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comparing Shaub and Diaz' jiu jitsu? Lol. Estima was trying to make a name for himself in mma... read about the situation. Phone Post
6/24/13 12:21 PM
I LOVE GSP

Pretty awesome of royce to name them, he knows what's up. Phone Post
6/24/13 12:31 PM
YonYones
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those pictures of the Gracie family are so cool. Legendary
6/24/13 12:32 PM
possum jitsu
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't come off that way to me. He said he'd take a match just not against an mma fighter. It was for charity. They caught wind estima was trying to put something together and they bailed. It was stupid but I wouldn't say he was scared. Just a business move. Although now that i think about it, it doesn't really embody what Royce is talking about... Phone Post
6/24/13 12:45 PM
Humboldt
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blog -

Royce: Diaz bros remind me of my own family

The latest, Bruce Buffer issue of FIghters Only, also featured an interview with UFC Hall of Famer Royce Grace.

Royce was asked who his favorite modern day MMA fighters are?

“I like Nick and Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, that whole group," replied Royce. "They remind me a lot of my family. They don’t take BS from anybody. They are there to fight, they are there to win. They don’t walk away from a fight.”

Buy latest issue online...

What do you think UG? Who is your favorite fighter? Does he or she remind you of your family??!?

That's my first bjj instructor standing between Rickson and Rorion.

And yeah, the Diaz bros remind me if my brothers too. Phone Post 3.0
6/24/13 12:55 PM
possum jitsu

JustTheTip -
possum jitsu -  Didn't come off that way to me. He said he'd take a match just not against an mma fighter. It was for charity. They caught wind estima was trying to put something together and they bailed. It was stupid but I wouldn't say he was scared. Just a business move. Although now that i think about it, it doesn't really embody what Royce is talking about... Phone Post

It seemed like an excuse to me. Cesar basically said they didn't want Nick to compete against anyone who was going to ever fight MMA. How many BJJ guys can without a doubt say they will absolutely never compete in MMA? Look at Vinny, Roger Gracie, Jacare, Maia, and many many others, it's a natural transition these days. And I don't see how it was looked at as a business decision either. Nick losing a BJJ match for charity wasn't going to affect his purse for the GSP fight.
I agree but estima was going to fight shortly after. I don't know where or how to draw the line. Anyway, business because if someone is gonna make money off you, you should get some bread as kimbo would say. Submitting nick Diaz going into an mma career is gonna make you more money I assume. Good sn, I play that game all the time. Phone Post
6/24/13 12:57 PM
MMAtador

Oh so the Gracie family is a bunch of dick wads ??? Sorry but that diaz camp, there attitudes, and how they have no clue how to lose without it ever being there fault makes me not want to watch them. Part of winning and being a champion is learning how to take a loss and these guys know nothing about that. Phone Post
6/24/13 1:28 PM
colubrid1

Agreed, I wish more fighters have the Fighting mentality of Diaz brothers.

+1
6/24/13 1:48 PM
Wasa-B
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really used to like the Diaz fighting spirit but aint it ironic for all that, the amount of bloddy whining they do? Right now, someone like Nick gotta stop complaining about the world being against him and improve the holes in his game. And Nate, I used to think he was less a whiner than Nick but you got taken the F out by Josh's foot, anything he said aftewards about that that wasn't some sort of acceptance was just gonna make him look bad and it did.
6/24/13 1:59 PM
txt

Brian Littlefield - 

Braulio Estima.... The end. 

this
6/24/13 2:51 PM
Alumynabjj

JustTheTip - 
possum jitsu -  Didn't come off that way to me. He said he'd take a match just not against an mma fighter. It was for charity. They caught wind estima was trying to put something together and they bailed. It was stupid but I wouldn't say he was scared. Just a business move. Although now that i think about it, it doesn't really embody what Royce is talking about... Phone Post

It seemed like an excuse to me. Cesar basically said they didn't want Nick to compete against anyone who was going to ever fight MMA. How many BJJ guys can without a doubt say they will absolutely never compete in MMA? Look at Vinny, Roger Gracie, Jacare, Maia, and many many others, it's a natural transition these days. And I don't see how it was looked at as a business decision either. Nick losing a BJJ match for charity wasn't going to affect his purse for the GSP fight.

Cesar did not basically say that. He said Nick specifically requested to go against a bjj guy who was not trying to build off this match for an MMA career. It came out later that Estima was looking at mma almost immediately after their match. So stop twisting what happened to fit what you want to believe. Lastly, I was pissed as fuck that Nick skipped the match, I paid for the stream, and still think he should have competed.
6/24/13 3:00 PM
StringerBell

How does the Diaz sister look nowadays?

Does she train?
6/24/13 3:10 PM
TheRaider
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice.
6/24/13 3:12 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they seem a bit like ryan

6/24/13 3:13 PM
hubris
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz brothers have Budo

no doubt about it
6/24/13 3:16 PM
Wasa-B
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - Diaz brothers have Budo

no doubt about it

Does anyone really know what "budo" means? Why do people use this word over bushido?

And is it really honourable to no show to a fight (whatever you wanna call a grappling match)? It is it budofull to talk enourmous shit before and even after a fight in which you got dominated then proceed to retire then come back and complain about the rules, your opponent, the world being against you?

6/24/13 3:17 PM
Wasa-B

ranier wolfcastle - 

they seem a bit like ryan

This.
6/24/13 3:22 PM
JStrongMMA
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAtador - Oh so the Gracie family is a bunch of dick wads ??? Sorry but that diaz camp, there attitudes, and how they have no clue how to lose without it ever being there fault makes me not want to watch them. Part of winning and being a champion is learning how to take a loss and these guys know nothing about that. Phone Post
It's "their" not "there". You'll get through 2nd grade one of these days, homie. Phone Post
6/24/13 3:23 PM
Alumynabjj

JustTheTip - 
Alumynabjj - 
JustTheTip - 

Cesar did not basically say that. He said Nick specifically requested to go against a bjj guy who was not trying to build off this match for an MMA career. It came out later that Estima was looking at mma almost immediately after their match. So stop twisting what happened to fit what you want to believe. Lastly, I was pissed as fuck that Nick skipped the match, I paid for the stream, and still think he should have competed.

Dude...take your pick of Cesar's excuses. Sometimes it's the fact that they "got wind" that he was going to compete in MMA (big fucking deal...Nick's not GSP or Anderson Silva) and other times they complained about weight. I'm surprised it wasn't salt water, airplane water, date/time he was flown in, timezones, or any of the 100 other excuses they've cried about.

Cesar's quote:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/15/3021337/cesar-gracie-provides-statement-on-nick-diaz-no-show-for-braulio

Despite all of this Nick was still going to compete. He brought up Kron Gracie and prepared himself. Around this time I was informed by Junior that Braulio wanted to weigh in the day before and not right before the match as is the custom in IBJJ competitions and Abu Dhabi. At the time Nick was about 186lbs so I consented to both guys weighing in at 180lbs the night before.

Nick boarded a plane on Friday for Long Beach having cut 6 pounds for the weigh in that night. On his way there I got a call from Junior telling me Braulio would not be making weight! "Cesar Braulio is complaining about the weight cut. Can we have him weigh in tomorrow? He can't make the weight tonight how about 185 in the morning?"

Nick arrives in Long Beach to the news that there will be no weigh ins that night. As a professional with over 30 fights this was the final straw. The disrespect and total lack of professionalism given him convinced him he was at a circus not a professionally event.

At 3:20 in the morning I received a text from Junior that Braulio would in fact make the 180lbs weight class at 10:00AM. With no other option available I said fine I'll check with Nick in the morning. At 10:00AM Braulio did weigh in at 180lbs but by that time Nick had already left.

Did I say it was one thing that caused Nick to bounce? It was a multitude of things that went to shit that caused confusion. Also I was not speaking to that. what I spoke of was that you said Cesar said he didnt want a guy who ever would do MMA and that is not true. It got out that Estima was supposed to announce almost immediately that he was going pro in mma after the match.
6/24/13 3:35 PM
Wasa-B

Zed Wayne Zed - 
Wasa-B - 
hubris - Diaz brothers have Budo

no doubt about it

Does anyone really know what "budo" means? Why do people use this word over bushido?

And is it really honourable to no show to a fight (whatever you wanna call a grappling match)? It is it budofull to talk enourmous shit before and even after a fight in which you got dominated then proceed to retire then come back and complain about the rules, your opponent, the world being against you?

It is basically the same thing as muso talking about post-punk, it's a way to prove to everyone that you're in the know.

I don't believe that about 50-60% people that train martial arts can actually fight. Like, I'm pretty sure there's some miners who just did a 12 hour shift who would knock a lot of teeth out.

The other 30%, they're the real deal.

Doesnt mean the term is being used appropriately. The martial arts training vs real fighting isnt really the point here as well.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.