UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why MMA has failed to catch on in China

6/25/13 2:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
6ULDV8
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Irrefutable proof

6/25/13 3:06 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/25/13 3:08 PM
mynameisjonas - Yeh that "all Asian peoples and all martial arts originated in China" line was over the top. I guess the author forgot about that whole Wrestling/Boxing/Pankration thing in Greece and the striking arts of the Thai and Khmer people. Or does Muay Thai somehow originate in China?

Yeah, very hard to swallow. You don't even need to bring up Greece. Even the Chinese legends say it came their way from India, with Kalaripayattu, Mallayuddha (sp? Get my Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit mixed up sometimes and too lazy right now) and the ilk being precursors to CMA This would encompass Chin Na and Shuai Jiao as well. They've always said that. Don't know when this revisionist history started. I've been out of Wushu/Kung-Fu circles for over a decade, so it has to be relatively recent. Someone explain this to me.

In terms of civilizations, China was also not first. Mohenja-Daro, Harrapa, and a few other satellite cities in the Indus valley have China beat by a minimum of half a millenia. In terms of culture, Japan's Jomon and Korea's Pit-Comb has China beat, by oh up to 5-6,000 years.

Having said that, China has led the way culturally and had perhaps the largest influence in East Asia, but like I said, even they admit that the martial arts came east from the Indus Valley.

6/25/13 3:28 PM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SIX DEUCE, Anti-Douchebaggery
A significant chunk of my life as a martial artist was dedicated to Tai Chi & Changquan Wushu. I love Chinese martial arts and their rich history...some really amazing feats and talented people.
That said, they believed and still believe in a great deal of hocus pocus with their martial arts. The "mystic" fighter. MMA and the UFC in particular cleaned up the majority of that over here, and MMA gyms with their emphasis on conditioning, contact, nutrition, etc is a reflection of that. It will be interesting to see what influence the UFC's incursion into the Chinese market has on their movies, TMA schools, etc.
6/25/13 3:37 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quik - A significant chunk of my life as a martial artist was dedicated to Tai Chi & Changquan Wushu. I love Chinese martial arts and their rich history...some really amazing feats and talented people.
That said, they believed and still believe in a great deal of hocus pocus with their martial arts. The "mystic" fighter. MMA and the UFC in particular cleaned up the majority of that over here, and MMA gyms with their emphasis on conditioning, contact, nutrition, etc is a reflection of that. It will be interesting to see what influence the UFC's incursion into the Chinese market has on their movies, TMA schools, etc.

That brings up a salient point. There is an entire culture and thousands of years of history that MMA is counterintuitive to. They are kind of in the position America and much of the world was in pre-1993 where people bought into black belt deadliness.

I remember there was so much mysticism tied to a karate black belt that you were afraid if they just accidentally touched you, that you keel over injured. You kept out of their way. These days, it only conjures up a snicker. We've come a long way, and China will do the same. Don't be surprised if there is a Chinese era in the lighter classes within MMA akin to the Filipino or Jewish era in Boxing from the 20s-40s, for example.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.