UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What Happaned to Omigawa?

6/24/13 8:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - 
Wasa-B - 
Tomato Can - I think Kawajiri would do similarly if the UFC brought him in. He'd get dominated by someone like Mendes, but he could beat C-listers soundly, and have close fights with B-listers.

I don't think Nam Phan is a great benchmark since he's never been that good. Siver may not have stopped him but he did beat him half to death.

No way, he would have done better than Omigawa imo. Kawajiri beat JoshThomson and JZ when JZ was still good (both at LW). Omigawa beat Jason Young. Kawa's game was far more suited for the UFC and can actually make his strength functional unlike Omigawa who i believe is quite strong but never really made it work. Could Omigawa have outmuscled Josh Thomson in the clinch?

I'm talking about Kawajiri today, not theoretical "prime" Kawajiri from 5 or 6 years ago.

Yeah, its too late now.
6/25/13 1:03 AM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Other thing about Omi is that he did not enter MMA at a younger age like many Americans do out of college, another reason for the dominance of the American wrestler. Many of the judo guys like Yoshida, Akiyama, Nastula all entered after their peak years in judo. I think Nakamura and Fedor may have entered MMA young enough. Karo was doing MMA alongside judo from the get-go.

But then you have Ishii who went at the right age but still hasnt managed to make a dent.

Omigawa had a pretty good ground game in judo i believe though. Not sure it translated as well as it could have in MMA.
6/25/13 1:06 AM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/25/13 2:35 AM
Wasa-B

Yeah looks like his white niece
6/25/13 3:08 AM
caposa
1838 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 

shouldn't it be ERMAHGERWER?

6/25/13 9:50 AM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Other thing about Omi is that he did not enter MMA at a younger age like many Americans do out of college, another reason for the dominance of the American wrestler. Many of the judo guys like Yoshida, Akiyama, Nastula all entered after their peak years in judo. I think Nakamura and Fedor may have entered MMA young enough. Karo was doing MMA alongside judo from the get-go.

But then you have Ishii who went at the right age but still hasnt managed to make a dent.

Omigawa had a pretty good ground game in judo i believe though. Not sure it translated as well as it could have in MMA.

Ishii's doing alright. He beat washed up versions of Sylvia and Rizzo, lost to Fedor. Not awful for a 26 year old with only 10 fights under his belt. People think Todd Duffee is a beast of a prospect and Ishii's done more than he has.

The problem is that fighting for a quasi-pro wrestling organization isn't going to do a lot for his development as a fighter. They need to get him better opponents.
6/25/13 10:15 AM
Lobo8

Tomato Can - I think Kawajiri would do similarly if the UFC brought him in. He'd get dominated by someone like Mendes, but he could beat C-listers soundly, and have close fights with B-listers.

I don't think Nam Phan is a great benchmark since he's never been that good. Siver may not have stopped him but he did beat him half to death.

Kawajiri would have a far better career. He would beat b lister easy. The a-listers are the ones that would give him trouble but he could win a few.
6/25/13 10:16 AM
Lobo8

Ridiculous that kawajiri isnt in the ufc right now. He deserves it.
6/25/13 10:24 AM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea even though he's a bit over the hill now I'd still like to see it. He'd be a good fight for Lamas, Lentz, Hioki, Swanson, etc. It would even be cool to see him give a Bellator tournament a go. He's wasting his time fighting in DREAM and ONE right now. Unless he really wants an Aoki rematch there's really nothing for him there.
6/25/13 12:36 PM
Wasa-B

Tomato Can - 
Wasa-B - Other thing about Omi is that he did not enter MMA at a younger age like many Americans do out of college, another reason for the dominance of the American wrestler. Many of the judo guys like Yoshida, Akiyama, Nastula all entered after their peak years in judo. I think Nakamura and Fedor may have entered MMA young enough. Karo was doing MMA alongside judo from the get-go.

Ishii's doing alright. He beat washed up versions of Sylvia and Rizzo, lost to Fedor. Not awful for a 26 year old with only 10 fights under his belt. People think Todd Duffee is a beast of a prospect and Ishii's done more than he has.

The problem is that fighting for a quasi-pro wrestling organization isn't going to do a lot for his development as a fighter. They need to get him better opponents.

I would put Ishii and Duffee in different categories. Ishii should be in the same category as the top American wrestlers coming out of college or elite BJJ guys. Ishii is a Olympic gold medalist that made the transition to MMA at the right time with a world class judo base but still young (like the aforementioned American collegiate guys jumping to MMA), completely made a career conscious decision to quit judo for MMA (though he's still done some judo here and there) and also trained all over with the best MMA camps in the US and Brazil.

He is not a case like Yoshida.

I would say for considering the above, he has not lived up to the potential at all. Most American college wrestlers that are top prospects in MMA are easily further along 10 fights in. I say this as a person of Japanese background and judo guy myself. He's been disappointing.
6/25/13 12:45 PM
Wasa-B

I think Kawajiri's a bit different from Omi as he is an MMA guy all the way and has been an A level guy at some point in his career and has fought and beaten better guys. Kawajiri, again, aside from Kid and Gomi has the most western like build, strength and style.

I didnt see the match between him and Omi but apparently Crusher did what he always does, gets the clinch, dominates position, some GNP and close to the arm triangle.

Yes, i think he would be (not as sure anymore as he hasnt been fighting top guys and is getting older now) but would have been good fights for the aforemntioned guys in the UFC FW div like Lamas, Hioki, Lentz, Swanson. Those are A to lower level A guys btw (A guys for me are top 10, where "elite" is top 5).

Omigawa has fought Kawa and Hioki, there are some other interesting inter-Japan/Asian fights there too with Hioki vs Zombie, and Kawajiri vs both guys. Im wondering whether there were even talks between Kawajiri and the UFC esp at FW. Just checked and he's only had 1 fight for One, its mostly been Dream post-Pride. Since his loss to Gil, he's finished all of his opponents (4 incl Hansen) aside from Omi who he almost got the arm triangle on a couple times apparently.

6/25/13 12:48 PM
Wasa-B

Im not sure what the future holds for Hioki unless he improves dramatically. He could have lost to Roop but he should have beaten Guida and barely lost to the real #1 contender in Lamas.

He was too inactive vs Guida though for spurts and should know how the UFC judges see guys on the bottom even though he was all over Guida in parts from his guard too. Funny that Guida said in his inteview after that he "got tds and defended submissions." Is Hioki still training with Tristar?
6/25/13 12:57 PM
Lobo8

Hioki is very talented but is a victim to his own passiveness. He just needs to learn to manage his pace better. Know when to slow the fight down and when to speed it up.
6/25/13 1:41 PM
Tomato Can

I didn't think Guida/Hioki was a much of a robbery as a lot of other people did. Unless you clearly dominate the standup (like Hioki did in round 1) you can't play off your back that much and expect to win rounds. I saw it more as a very close fight that could have gone either way.

I really wish Hioki had taken the shot at Aldo when it was offered, because at this point that ship has sailed. I think he'll stay relevant by beating Elkins, though.
6/25/13 2:05 PM
Wasa-B

Is he lined up for Elkins next?

Yeah, maybe not a "robbery!" but Guida really didnt do anything and i recall Hioki landing more in R2 or 3 as well. Hioki was, to be fair, too inactive in spurts on his back. Guida wasnt doing anything but was on top so....of course Hioki putting Guida in danger initially and going for subs should have still outweighed what Guida did but its in line with shitty UFC judging so it was acceptable in that sense, lol.

6/25/13 2:26 PM
Tomato Can

Yea they signed Hioki/Elkins for one of the FS1 cards.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.