UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Megumi Fujii Retiring "The Greatest Of Her Time"

6/24/13 4:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hackett
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/13 5:08 PM

Hey UG -- I was just hired on by MMAFrenzy.com to do a daily article. With the announced retirement of Megumi Fujii as the biggest story from this weekend, I thought it'd be a good time to offer a profile. I'd be honored with any feedback. Thanks!

An excerpt:

"Now, as the spotlight shines on women’s MMA, we sadly find Fujii left out.

How will she be remembered? I don’t know – things change so quickly in this game – but an excellent video profile from Grappling Dummy offers as good a tribute as any. There you’ll see the greatest fighter of her day, humbly accepting her place at the top of the sport, while at something of a loss to describe why she loves MMA. She shadowboxes and helps children tumble in grappling classes. Unable to describe why her career is anything special, she quietly invokes the spirit of the samurai, and having the feeling of challenging oneself.

Win or lose in October, that’s how I’ll remember Megumi Fujii, and I’ll remember her with a smile."

Read the rest here.

6/24/13 5:11 PM
hackett
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the vid I mentioned... shout out to Grappling Dummy & Scramble

Thanks to all who read the article!

6/24/13 6:13 PM
hackett

... and whoa, thanks for the Vote-Ups, too. I appreciate it, guys. Thanks!

6/24/13 8:42 PM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice work.
6/24/13 8:57 PM
EvilMaster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My personal favorite female fighter of all time. Greatest ever imo.

GOAT.

6/24/13 9:02 PM
snowman95
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for mega fuji Phone Post
6/24/13 9:11 PM
MuchRespec'
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mega Megu is an outstanding submission artist. Respec'! Phone Post 3.0
6/24/13 9:15 PM
HexRei

"Win or lose in October, that's how I'll remember Megumi Fujii, and I'll remember her with a smile."

...not smiling in any of the supplied pictures lol
6/24/13 9:28 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/24/13 9:28 PM

Much respect to a great competitior and trail blazer voted up!

6/24/13 9:29 PM
hackett

HexRei - "Win or lose in October, that's how I'll remember Megumi Fujii, and I'll remember her with a smile."

...not smiling in any of the supplied pictures lol

Ha! I meant I'd smile when I remember her.

6/24/13 9:32 PM
Silhouette
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great article on a true legend
6/24/13 9:42 PM
hackett

Thanks for the kind words, ScaredyCat, Silhouette, and Chaos!

Appreciate all the Mega-Megu love. Hey, here's a smile pic for Hex:

6/24/13 10:22 PM
hackett

TTT for the UG evening shift/internationals/anyone else. Thanks again for reading, all!

6/25/13 1:28 AM
hackett

One last TTT. Thanks again
6/25/13 1:37 AM
Happiness Bunny
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite female fighter. Her modesty, honor and win streak won't be surpassed. She did not ever have to resort to being an attention whore like some of the current wmma fighters.
6/25/13 1:45 AM
MoustacheRider69
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
6/25/13 2:34 AM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How legit were those two losses?
6/25/13 3:03 AM
Thacommish
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - How legit were those two losses?

Great article btw always love megumi fuji, i felt she got a raw deal in bellator moreso in 1 fight than the other but i mean neither of those losses were decisive, i really thought she beat zoila though
6/25/13 3:06 AM
caposa
1559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

28-0

6/25/13 5:49 AM
Silhouette
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/25/13 5:49 AM

IMO not legit at all

She lost a split dec to gurgel in which she dominated the match

Against Jessica Agular, who is tough as nails, she controlled the fight on the feet and on the ground. Agular was in the fight for sure there was some back and forth. aFugii had her backing up for 3 rounds. Fugii won the 1st no doubt, next two rounds were closer but Fugii controlled where the fight took place and more importantly was more effective with her strikes
6/25/13 6:04 AM
sparkuri

EvilMaster - My personal favorite female fighter of all time. Greatest ever imo.

GOAT.

6/25/13 6:17 AM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silhouette - 

IMO not legit at all

Against Jessica Agular, who is tough as nails, she controlled the fight on the feet and on the ground. Agular was in the fight for sure there was some back and forth. aFugii had her backing up for 3 rounds. Fugii won the 1st no doubt, next two rounds were closer but Fugii controlled where the fight took place and more importantly was more effective with her strikes

Yeah, she should still be undefeated, IMO.
6/25/13 6:41 AM
scaredy cat
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy Batty - 
Silhouette - 

IMO not legit at all

Yeah, she should still be undefeated, IMO.

Definitely. She's 28-0 as far as I'm concerned.
6/25/13 12:50 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, sucks that a career like that has 2 blemishes esp Stateside. Oh well, guess another situation for people in the know....
6/25/13 12:50 PM
Wasa-B

Btw, so what is her background? Judo/sambo?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.