UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Babalu: I've been taking head shots since I was 11

6/25/13 9:37 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

37-year-old Renato "Babalu" Sobral retired from fighting last week, after fighting for nearly 15 years,

The Marco Ruas protege (he later swtiched to Gracie Barra, in 2003) started fighting in his native Brazil in 1999, going 4-0. He then moved to Akira Maeda's Rings organization in Japan, going 11-3. His only losses were to Dan Henderson, Valentijn Overeem, and a decision loss to Fedor Emelianenko.

During this period, he also made two stops in the USA, beating Brad Kohler by soccer kick in the WEF, and Mo Smith by split decision in the UFC.

That is enough fights at the highest levels of the sport for some to call it a career, but Babalu was barely warming up. In 2000 alone, he fought ten times.

In 2002 he entered the UFC, with one win and two losses, to future UFC champion Chuck Liddell and past UFC champion Kevin Randleman.

He then fought for a variety or oganizations internationally, including one of the greatest performances in the history of the sport. Sobral beat Trevor Prangley by three round decision, then handed Shogun Rua his first loss ever with a third round submission, and then beat Jeremy Horn by three round decision, winning the event title. He did it all in one night.

Babalu then went back to the UFC, in 2005, going 4-2, losing to Chuck Liddell in a title shot.

Late in 2007 he want back on the international circuit, winning the Strikeforce light heavyweight title.

In 2010 Sobral was injured in a snowboarding accident, and contemplated retirement, but he healed and returned to the cage with a quick submission win over Tatsuya Mizuno in Asia's ONE FC.

Babalu then signed with Bellator, but the years caught up with him, and last Wednesday night he lost his fight in the oganization. Babalu then put on his gi, laid his gloves down in the center of the cage, bowed in respect to the fans and to the sport, and retired.

In an interview with MMAJunkie's Ben Fowlkes, Babalu reflects on the joy, and on the damage done. Getting punched in the face by the likes of Chuck Liddell, Fedor Emelianenko, and Dan Henderson for a decade and a half is not a safe way to make a living. But as Sobral explains, he took more punishment still in the gym, starting at age 11.

"It's hard because for me, fighting and stepping inside the cage, those are the greatest moments of my life," said Sobral. "Walking in and having that feeling, you know? To know that it's not going to happen anymore, that hurts me really bad. It hurts me really bad to say it now. But I had to say goodbye. Saying goodbye is never a good thing."

"One of the things that I noticed is the ability to take punch. You don't take punches the way you used to. Sometimes a little clip makes me dizzy. Before I used to take more. People think it's from fighting, but fighting is just one thing. They don't realize that you get clipped in training way more than you get clipped in the fight sometimes. You get a lot of punches in the head in training. Since I was 11 years old, I've been punched in the head. Now sometimes a little punch makes me dizzy."

"I want to be able to see my students, my little kids that I train right now, be champion. I don't want to have to move around in a wheelchair. I don't think that's going to happen, but I want to be able to do things with my life still."

"I would like people to remember that I was a fighter who put all my heart in my fights. Every one, even my last one. I always pushed through, always went forward. That's what I want people to remember. I helped this sport and did my share in this sport. I gave my blood in those octagons, those rings. They all have a little piece of my blood, my sweat inside."

Read entire article...

6/25/13 10:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
used2wrestle
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ugh, I know exactly what he's talking about. I've taken so many blows to the head I get mini-concussions from the smallest things. I remember someone threw a medicine ball at my chest and I got a concussion during a sit up drill. The same thing happened to me when I was hitting a heavy bag. Recently I've noticed I make tons of mistakes now when I type and I'm 31...
6/25/13 10:21 AM
used2wrestle
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually I have one and just made an appointment for August. The problem with head stuff is that what are they gonna do? It's not like a bruise where you see something and nobody's going in there unless they have to.
6/25/13 10:35 AM
robbie380
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing they will do some brain scans and tests and try to determine how much damage your brain has endured.  Hope it goes well.

6/25/13 10:37 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never knew Babalu was an aspiring model. He must have quite the portfolio. Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 10:42 AM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

used2wrestle - Actually I have one and just made an appointment for August. The problem with head stuff is that what are they gonna do? It's not like a bruise where you see something and nobody's going in there unless they have to.
Better to let the professionals tell you there's nothing they can do than to decide that on your own ahead of time.

The last thing you want to hear 10 years from now is a doctor telling you, "If only you'd come seen us sooner . . . ."

War Babalu. Quite the career. Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 10:54 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR BABALU. Gonna miss watching you fight.
6/25/13 11:15 AM
LyotoBundy
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He must have a very active acting career Phone Post
6/25/13 11:17 AM
LyotoBundy
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_SidRival - Never knew Babalu was an aspiring model. He must have quite the portfolio. Phone Post 3.0
Damn. Didnt see this. Hope a mod deletes my post ^ Phone Post
6/25/13 11:24 AM
Snayke13

Goodbye, legend. Best of luck in your future plans. Thanks for the awesome fights. Phone Post
6/25/13 11:27 AM
DaleSonnen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it always nice seeing a fighter retire before too much damage is done. Babalu, Liddel, are the two that come to mind when I think of that kinda thing. Just watching footage of Chuck watching a fight is hard to watch.. I hope Babalu enjoys his retirement and doesnt have any regrets.
6/25/13 11:31 AM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always a favorite.
Hope he has a great retirement. Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 12:03 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can still coach and do seminars. The sport still needs a guy like Babalu. Phone Post
6/25/13 12:27 PM
DrunkenKangarooZ

MUCH RESPECT!!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 2:04 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

LyotoBundy - He must have a very active acting career Phone Post
Wat Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 2:33 PM
Leghound
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

used2wrestle - Ugh, I know exactly what he's talking about. I've taken so many blows to the head I get mini-concussions from the smallest things. I remember someone threw a medicine ball at my chest and I got a concussion during a sit up drill. The same thing happened to me when I was hitting a heavy bag. Recently I've noticed I make tons of mistakes now when I type and I'm 31...

That sucks dude.  Best of luck with your appointment in August.

6/25/13 2:52 PM
Ghetto-Top-Team
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So this is what people were talking about when Chuck "lost his chin"? 

I wonder if the same thing happened to Arlovski.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.