UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Serra out as Weidman corner, replaced by dad

6/25/13 10:32 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Serra knows something about upsets in world title bouts, but he will not be in Chris Weidman's corner vs. Anderson Silva at UFC 162 on July 6 in Las Vegas.

According to trainer Ray Longo, Serra won't be able to make the trip out to Las Vegas. In April, it was discovered that Serra had thoracic outlet syndrome, which caused his rib and collarbone to compress a vein, restrict blood flow and cause clots. He required surgery to remove his first rib, the one closest to his collarbone. Unfortunately since then, he had another setback.

While the onetime welterweight champion is currently on the mend with a better outlook, the health scare combined with the June 8 birth of his third daughter Sofia forced his decision.

"I'll miss Matt, he kind of rounds me out as a coach," Longo told MMA Fighting. "It was a hard decision for him to have to make, but sometimes family has to come first."

Family ties also play a role in a positive part of the story, as Weidman selected his father Charlie to replace Serra in his corner, revealing it as a surprise in a Father's Day card.

In addition to Longo and Charlie Weidman, Chris Weidman will also have Brazilian jiu-jitsu wizard John Danaher and UFC light-heavyweight Gian Villante in his corner for the big night.

Read entire article...

6/25/13 10:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks for Chris.

Best wishes to Serra. Great embassador for the sport. Wish a speedy recovery and good health to him. Phone Post
6/25/13 10:39 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even the cornermen/trainers are pulling out due to injury. This is getting out of hand.

6/25/13 10:40 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama -

Even the cornermen/trainers are pulling out due to injury. This is getting out of hand.

Lol! Phone Post
6/25/13 10:53 AM
Poindexter
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad omen for Weidman. 

6/25/13 11:00 AM
Focker101
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

VTFU changed the entire mood of this thread

6/25/13 11:03 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman is under SO much pressure.

I can't think of an opponent in recent memory that has been under this much pressure. Last guy I can think of that had a chance was Vitor.

We knew Okami, Sonnen, Bonnar, and the rest would most likely lose.

I hope this guy is ready to get in there with a killer, because I just cannot see a scenario where he doesn't get knocked out. (Well, I can, but Anderson dummies everyone.)
6/25/13 11:09 AM
eljamaiquino

Reminds me of Rich having his family cageside for the first time against guess who, Anderson. Itll be painful to watch a family member get thrashed right in front of you. Phone Post
6/25/13 11:26 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama -

This happened to the Portland Trailblazer's a couple years ago :( had so many players get injured the head coach had to participate in scrimmages because they were short on players. Head coach tore his achilles Phone Post
6/25/13 12:27 PM
martiallaw666

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

This!
6/25/13 12:27 PM
martiallaw666

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

This!
6/25/13 1:04 PM
ironyuppie

Tell Weidman's dad the towel needs to be white.

Big enough to catch the refs eye but not so big that he can't easily throw it with one hand. Phone Post
6/25/13 1:06 PM
chaplinshouse
711 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crashdt - 
eljamaiquino -  Reminds me of Rich having his family cageside for the first time against guess who, Anderson. Itll be painful to watch a family member get thrashed right in front of you. Phone Post

I was working a set of fights in MS a week back and there was this cute chick in a tight white dress just hanging out with a group of friends, she hadnt been cheering for anyone so I thought maybe she was just there for kicks. Well she tripped over Jon Jenkins and Rod Sweeting from the Saints and I started talking to her. It turns out her dad was fighting later in the night, against one of my training partners... I told her I wish her dad the best and hope its a good fight. Someone in the VIP tables offered her a seat and she got to watch her dad get beat bad in the 1st round. I felt really bad because it was ugly. She didnt talk to me the rest of the night.

6/25/13 1:15 PM
GodSaveTheReem
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

umm...did that say Serra had to have a fucking rib removed?! I didn't even know that was an option! I am gonna guess that his training days are over...
6/25/13 1:22 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GodSaveTheReem - umm...did that say Serra had to have a fucking rib removed?! I didn't even know that was an option! I am gonna guess that his training days are over...
My sister has TOS and had her rib removed. She's fine. Funny, Matt is only the second person I know of with TOS. Best wishes to him. I saw Chris the other day and he looks awesome. Weight is good and he is ready to go!! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.