UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tim Kennedy Blasts Pay

6/26/13 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Don_Dada
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of Tim's but i commend him for speaking out publicly about this.

6/26/13 11:05 AM
DonDon11
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't he sign a contract agreeing to what he's being paid? If he didn't like the numbers he probably shouldn't have signed his name to it.... Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:07 AM
tcrowl18
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is this guy gonna come out of the closet?
6/26/13 11:10 AM
js138
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just like how under the Strikeforce banner his $70k was just fine. However, now that he has "UFC" on his business card he's all of a sudden singing this tune.

Hey Tim, you know that manager you pay 10% to? He's the one in charge of getting you the most money possible. How about you sit back, shut up, train real hard, and win some fights in the UFC and when contract negotiations come up, make it easy for your manager to get you more money.

I'm seeing a trend in boring fighters being the most vocal about UFC fighter pay. It's like they feel their hardwork is worth more than their lackluster skill set. Get some impressive wins, get impressive money. You're doing a lot better than 30% of the UFC roster Tim, shit could be worse.
6/26/13 11:11 AM
ThunderDove

Its seems silly to "blast" the UFC about what he will make before the fight happens, and any UFC official has a chance to pay unreported bonuses.

Tim is like many others who want guaranteed money and not performance based. Which they can't count on if they get their butts handed to them. Phone Post
6/26/13 11:15 AM
slamming

DonDon11 - Didn't he sign a contract agreeing to what he's being paid? If he didn't like the numbers he probably shouldn't have signed his name to it.... Phone Post 3.0
And this is why he's the biggest fool of all. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:19 AM
123Dominate

We should see what his take home is at the end of year compared to ur local grocery store clerk. I for 1 sure would take his pay over mine. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:22 AM
TecHNieK

since when can u get $20 grand fron emptying trash cans!? Think i got the wrong job!!
6/26/13 11:26 AM
the_fight_observer
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Kennedy report money earned through sponsorships? The fighters in the UFC are also given a platform to attract lucrative sponsorship deals for their fights.

What was his take home per fight after those dollars are added?

As a UFC fighter I'm sure he is also in demand for doing personal appearances and seminars. What are his yearly earnings doing these types of activities?

Every time he fights in the UFC he has a chance to earn a large bonus for KO, Sub or fight of the night.

If he wants to put numbers out in public he should divulge all of his earnings. I'd like to see what his earnings add up to with all of those figures added to see what his actual earnings are. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:28 AM
js138
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Señor Penis - And in come the zuffa shills.

Hey Dana, stop being such a greedy fuck and pay your employees more you tyrant. Phone Post
Its not about being a zuffa shill, its about mediocre athletes, in this case employees wanting top pay for lackluster job performance.

They went into this sport knowing what the pay was, thats on them. Its like getting a job at mcdonalds and complaining your pay is shit when others constantly out perform you in the work place. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:34 AM
dubate
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming -
dubate -
12SixElbow -
TheKidAintMine - Several points:

First, if Kennedy is so unhappy about the pay in the UFC, then why does he want to fight for them?

If Kennedy and his management team called up Dana or Lorenzo tomorrow and said, "Hey we don't like the way you guys are running your business. We don't think you're paying us enough and we don't want to be a part of your company anymore." I'm sure Zuffa and Team Kennedy could work out a solution whereby Tim gets released from his contract so that he can more money elsewhere.

Kennedy isn't GSP or Cain or JDS, I'm pretty sure Zuffa would let him go if he really wanted out. Kennedy should test the market and see how much Bellator or WSOF or One FC is willing to pay. If it's more than Zuffa, then good for him.

Secondly, why is Kennedy paying a percentage of his winnings to gym fees and his coaches? Shouldn't those be flat fees? You're telling me every time he fights his gym gets a percentage? And if he wins, his gym gets even more money. And on top of that, his coaches also get a cut? Why doesn't he just negotiate a flat fee per training camp that is independent of how much he makes?

And lastly, that article is a little disingenuous. They talk about GSP and Cain's pay, but there's no mention at all about their cut of the PPV money.

1. I think you're missing the point that MMA fighters in general are underpaid. The UFC is the biggest league in MMA, as was noted in this thread in most other individual sports, the top 100 guys are doing VERY well

2. Every fighter pays a percentage of winnings to gym / manager / trainers.

3. Champions don't only fight on PPV, and PPV sales aren't a gaurentee.

Outside of the first fight on FOX, how many times have Cain, Silva, & GSP fought on a card that wasn't a PPV? Phone Post
Silva headlined 2 fight nights. Phone Post 3.0
Silva has never fought as the champ on anything that wasn't a PPV. One Fight Night at LHW and his UFC debut against Leben. Phone Post
6/26/13 11:43 AM
Lobo8

kennedy, a guy in the lower end of the top 20. Won some fights but cant win against the big boys

Cholish, struggled in the ufc

Fitch, solid fighter for a few years but failed to market himself and is generally disliked by the majority of fans for his fighting style.

Volkman, had a decent run in the ufc but was generally disliked for his personality and fighting style.

All these guys have bitched about pay recently. But whos fault is it their paycheck is small. Its not the ufc's fault that they arent marketable, or cant win key fights. Ridiculous that they think their entitled to the big paychecks simply by virtue of being of ufc fighters. Theirs over 300 hundred guys signed in. They all cant get big piece of pie if they dont deserve it. The guys listed above where lacking something and thats why their paycheck sucked. Its simple really.
6/26/13 11:45 AM
dubate
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigyoutube - 20 grand annually is about if not less than a garbage mans yearly salary , really man do so research before talking Phone Post 3.0
You could afford to do some research as well. Tim's from California. The median salary for a garbage man there is over 40k. Phone Post
6/26/13 11:47 AM
JunkieDog

Porkchop - 
Barbalos - 
Macedawgg - 
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

LOL.  This is professional prize fighting.  If you AREN'T in it for the money, you are in it for the wrong reasons.

Wrong. There are lots of other jobs you can make far more money at, much more easily. If you don't like this job, and you're doing it for years, you're a fool.

This. Macedawgg is way off base.

You have to be realistic. Not everyone is going to clean up with pay.

And mark my words, when these guys do all start to become rich, MMA will go the way of boxing and fall apart. The low pay system is all that is keeping MMA functioning right now. Desperate fighters and guys who can do it for almost no pay are what this sport needs to stay the way it is.

Start paying guys crazy money and the UFC will fall apart and we wont see the best vs the best anymore.

" Start paying guys crazy money and the UFC will fall apart and we wont see the best vs the best anymore."

Exactly, Porkchop, great point! Same reason I hope MLB, NFL, NBA and the NHL never get to the point where they have minimum salaries in the $1,000,000 range... they'll all fall apart. We'll no longer see the best vs. the best.

Gone will be the days of seeing world class athletes like Lebron James, A-Rod and RG III facing off against Kobe Bryant, Justin Verlander and DeMarcus Ware.

It's a well known fact in any industry, the more you pay people, the more attractive you make the job, the most qualified... the best of the best.. those people will immediately lose interest and seek a job offering less pay and more modest benefits.

I don't know if you are currently employed but if not, I'd suggest sending a resume directly to the POTUS and see about getting in on turning the economy around. I bet you have some awesome ideas on turning the economy around.
6/26/13 11:52 AM
JunkieDog

FloridaStriker - you want money. Become a fucking doctor or get a real profesion. You want to be a fighter? Spartans slept on concrete floors.

This is why boxing doesnt exist anymore. Gave one pussy too much money and attention and found out he was a businessman instead of a boxer. If youre looking to get paid. Go to college like everyone else. You dont get micheal jordan money for deciding you want to punch ppl in the head on TV. Not unless youre conceptionally good at it. The only people complaining about money are mediocre athletes with more mouth than ability

Holy fucking shit.... oh, wait.. you're trolling! Good one, you almost had me!
6/26/13 11:53 AM
huggy bear

I don't disagree with anything he says but he better hope he wins cause the UFC doesn't like when u talk about them while being employed by them ask duff man. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 11:55 AM
guyrelax

It's a business. Look at any business, they pay what they can negotiate. UFC is where everyone wants to be. Since there aren't much for competitors, you don't have other places to go that will compete with a better offer. This is the reality, deal with it. What you DON'T do is trash the UFC about how poor their pay is if you expect to be paid more in the future. Clearly, the fighter's popularity, entertainment value, and PPV sales is directly correlated with their pay. Right now, the masses have no clue who Tim Kennedy is and don't care what he's paid. Get out there, win some fights, be exciting, and you'll get paid more.. bottom line
6/26/13 11:56 AM
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TecHNieK - since when can u get $20 grand fron emptying trash cans!? Think i got the wrong job!!

Garbage men usually get paid alright.  He would be subject to a lower tax rate as a garbage man and he would probably have better benefits too.  

6/26/13 11:56 AM
TecHNieK

Bigyoutube - 20 grand annually is about if not less than a garbage mans yearly salary , really man do so research before talking Phone Post 3.0

we're talking about 1 fight here i doubt Tim is gonna fight once a year so technically he'd make double or triple then what a garbage man would make a year. You should do some research, made yourself sound like a jackass
6/26/13 11:58 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg -
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

LOL.  This is professional prize fighting.  If you AREN'T in it for the money, you are in it for the wrong reasons.

Correct.

You are driven to do it because you are good at it or at least better than others.

But it's about money.

Here is a hypothetical situation for any fighter.

1. You can be champ of any UFC weight division.

You will beat anyone.

You will be P4P the best.

Your pay will not be enough to retire on and set your family up for life.

Or.

2. You are not the champ.

You get enough money to retire and set up your children for education and potential success.

Only a fool would choose the belt over financial security.

It's prize fighting and the belt represents the best but the prize being fought over is money and the only reason you want to be champ is because being the best typically ensures you are paid commensurate to that position.

It's the UFC.

It ain't UNICEF.

No one is here for altruistic reasons. Phone Post
6/26/13 12:02 PM
ebullock
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm so sick of hearing this garbage.

What do you and I (the average Joes of the world) do when we are not happy with our pay or job situation? We find a new, better paying job.

I don't think any of these guys got into fighting for the huge paydays.

They get to live their dream, doing what most of us consider as a hobby, and they do it by choice. I would love to be able to train & eat all day, going from gym to gym learning from the best, but I decided that having a regular paycheck and health insurance for my family is more important to me.
6/26/13 12:09 PM
crumbs
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigyoutube - Come on people stop being morons , if you actually think fighters get payed enough money you are the reason the sport will be dead in 10-15 years , why the hell would aspiring athletes bother turning to MMA when it pays so pathetically at the highest level ... Look at what a rookie football, hockey, baseball, basketball player makes in his first pro year and try and say that fighters get payed enough , pathetic , I love this sport stop ruining its future with dumb sayings like , if you are in it for money you are in it for the wrong reasons , we all need money to live dumbasses , how the hell are you going to feed you're children without money! Phone Post 3.0

I think fighters deserve more, but comparing a average 3 fights a year pro fighter to the big four leagues Isnt proving anything.

NFL just signed a 27 billion tv deal for the next ten years, each team( 32 of them ) get around 85 million a year from the tv deal alone, not to mention merch, sponsership,and gate money from average 18 games( preseason/reg) with average 70k seat stadium, theoretically those stadiums could be empty and the teams could still make money.

Look at what they make? Oh I'm looking, and clearly see you cannot compare pay structure of a season based league( you know more, then 10 games a year ) to mma pay structure where the average fighter fights 3 times a year. And I'm being nice and comparing football who has the least amount of games, nhl/nba are over 80 games a year. Apple and mother fucken oranges.

What can you compare the pay structure too? Mma is pretty unique in that you can't really compare it to anything else, maybe boxing. Can zuffa pay them more, probably, can they pay them nfl money, unlikely, they just don't make that kind of money, it would cost you the same amount of money to buy zuffa as it would to buy ONE nfl team. There's money to squeez out of zuffa for the fighters, how much is the question, I love the fact fans want fighters to make big 4 league money, but they never will, not this generation, and I feel like the fighters aren't even asking for that kind of money, they just more, not millions, just more, and zuffa should pony up, not millions , just more you cheap bastards.
6/26/13 12:13 PM
nostripewhite

Comparing UFC to MLB/NHL/NBA/NFL on the basis of the 'best facing the best' is retarded.

Players in those sports can't choose to only play the worst five teams.

Boxing is a fair comparison. Poor fighters will take a payday fight even if it means a loss while top level guys will duck dangerous fighters to ensure a steady stream of victories.

Plus, why should all of these fighters feel every one of them deserves bug bucks? So they don't have to worry about money while fighting?

Why should a low level UFC fighter be anymore free from financial worries than previously mentioned supermarket clerks? Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 12:15 PM
TopGrinder

It's sad that no name hockey players in shitty markets are getting paid more than most top teir UFC guys.

Yah fighters are way underpaid while zuffa taking in millions Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 12:17 PM
Elvis
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man if he's paying out 59% of his earnings his problem isn't his pay but his money management.

I understand why fighters want more money, that's normal. What I don't understand is why they complain about 'ufc' pay when the ufc pays more than anyone else and the residual earnings from being a ufc star is far greater than any other org. Look what Forest did... used his smarts and wrote some books at the peak of his fighting career. Randy and Rampage got their movie opportunities from their exposure in the ufc. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.