UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tim Kennedy Blasts Pay

6/26/13 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PsychoDad
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a lot of jealousy directed at Kennedy. He's living many peoples dream and is complaining and people are mad. He is a pro athlete and most of them get paid a lit better than mma guys.

People saying they should quit and take up 'real' jobs don't know what a pro athlete has to do. It's not a hobby. Hell, if a bunch of them quit, we would eventually regress back to a bunch of brain dead hillbillies getting drunk on Friday nights and swinging on each other in some podunk bar toughman competition.

Don't delude yourself into thinking Zuffa isn't making money hand over fist. Dana White reminds me of Vince McMahon; great business man who couldn't give a fuck anout his athletes beyond making him more money.
6/26/13 4:34 PM
Nagaho
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elvis -  Man if he's paying out 59% of his earnings his problem isn't his pay but his money management.

I understand why fighters want more money, that's normal. What I don't understand is why they complain about 'ufc' pay when the ufc pays more than anyone else and the residual earnings from being a ufc star is far greater than any other org. Look what Forest did... used his smarts and wrote some books at the peak of his fighting career. Randy and Rampage got their movie opportunities from their exposure in the ufc. Phone Post

Can't believe that a UFC veteran gets ignored in all of this.
6/26/13 4:43 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

-Tim is bitching about his paycheck before his first day of work.
- He is GUARANTEED $55,000 just to show up. Likely another $55,000 to win.
-The opportunity to win 2 out of 3 $60,000 bonuses depending on his performance.
-Almost guaranteed to get a locker room bonus of anywhere from 10k-$20k.
- He will make $5k-$10k on sponsorship.
- He can fight 2-3 times per year.
-If he wins the fights he will make around $100k per fight.

- That gives him a gross income of $200,000-$300,000 in his first year of employment.
- He will take home at least 50% of that, I don't care what he claims his "nutrition" costs.

- 50% puts $100,000-$150,000 in his pocket in his first year of employment with the company. Good luck finding a trash man job that pays you more than that Tim.
6/26/13 4:45 PM
warfrog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I once paid to fight, I've fought in a dog kennel for 75 bucks. I really get sick of fighters whining about pay, or not enough to make a living. You know what? Get a 9-5 job and work for real. No one is bending your arm to fight....er...what? Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 4:49 PM
Filo_Beto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish - "Now I eagerly await the masses of 16-25 year olds that have never held a career-level full time job to tell me how I know nothing and poor mma fighters have it so rough. Guess what guys: If the only skill you have to offer the workforce is the ability to beat up other guys, and you are "meh" at it...don't come crying to me that you're making McDonalds employee level money...because you're the mma equivalent of McDonalds level talent at that point."

I cant believe someone that considers himself above 16-25 year olds made such a horrible emotionally inspired connection between ufc fighters and mcdonalds employees.

Your logic is severely misguided. If your only talent in the workforce is hitting a baseball in mlb and you are "meh" about it don't come crying to me. Oh wait the league minimum in baseball is 400k.
6/26/13 4:50 PM
Marketing guy

warfrog - I once paid to fight, I've fought in a dog kennel for 75 bucks. I really get sick of fighters whining about pay, or not enough to make a living. You know what? Get a 9-5 job and work for real. No one is bending your arm to fight....er...what? Phone Post 3.0

Were you fighting people in this fight? I saw a movie where a guy fought 2 doebermans. It was based on a true story.
6/26/13 4:52 PM
Thacommish
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - 
Thacommish - "Now I eagerly await the masses of 16-25 year olds that have never held a career-level full time job to tell me how I know nothing and poor mma fighters have it so rough. Guess what guys: If the only skill you have to offer the workforce is the ability to beat up other guys, and you are "meh" at it...don't come crying to me that you're making McDonalds employee level money...because you're the mma equivalent of McDonalds level talent at that point."

I cant believe someone that considers himself above 16-25 year olds made such a horrible emotionally inspired connection between ufc fighters and mcdonalds employees.

Your logic is severely misguided. If your only talent in the workforce is hitting a baseball in mlb and you are "meh" about it don't come crying to me. Oh wait the league minimum in baseball is 400k.

If you notice im quoting someone else in the first paragraph. Thats not my logic i think its severely misguided also. Mostly because he is comparing the number 1 brand and top quality mma org to mcdonalds and saying that they should be compensated equally.
wvugreenlantern is the guy whom i quoted. I just didnt want to quote his entire frat paragraph with me
6/26/13 5:12 PM
Marketing guy

Thacommish - 
Filo_Beto - 

If you notice im quoting someone else in the first paragraph. Thats not my logic i think its severely misguided also. Mostly because he is comparing the number 1 brand and top quality mma org to mcdonalds and saying that they should be compensated equally.
wvugreenlantern is the guy whom i quoted. I just didnt want to quote his entire frat paragraph with me

Minimum salary in the MLB is 490,000. at 162 games per season that breaks down to 3024.69 per game. I have a feeling this will all look about the same across the board. The issue is more that fighters fight a lot less per year than the average athlete in other sports can compete.
6/26/13 5:20 PM
fanaticomma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got my money on Tim getting cut if he loses! Any takers?
6/26/13 5:22 PM
HereticMMA

Look, I'm all for increased fighter pay, but when you make the statement that someone who works at a supermarket makes more than you, and you get $50k to show, you're an idiot. You can't factor in food costs and management costs etc. so you can complain about pay. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 5:23 PM
HereticMMA

Look, I'm all for increased fighter pay, but when you make the statement that someone who works at a supermarket makes more than you, and you get $50k to show, you're an idiot. You can't factor in food costs and management costs etc. so you can complain about pay. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 5:48 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In l8 Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 5:54 PM
nomad1974
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - 
TeamRenzo - 
MMA Lives Here - 
TeamRenzo -
KingofBJJ - 

It's funny that everytime the money issue comes up the Zuffa nuthuggers come to the rescue and then later act like no one whines about money in the UFC.

The point of the whining is that the UFC is making millions from PPV and is not sharing the wealth.  That is why Zuffa hates unions, because they would be forced to pay an adequate salary.

Many UFC fighters only fight twice a year, maybe three if they are lucky.  Most don't make $20k a fight.  Think about it.  There are Burger King Managers making more than most UFC fighters!

Yet Zuffa is making money off of their backs.  Yes it is Zuffa's business, but you know what the fighters can live without the UFC, but the UFC cannot live without fighters.

With a union, these fighters could all go on strike and the UFC would be powerless to do anything to them without a costly court battle.

Anderson Silva, the longest reigning champion in the UFC only gets $200k per fight.  Mayweather gets nearly $30 million.  Heck just last week a twenty something pro fighter just won a championship belt and made $1 million.

Everyone wants to compare MMA to boxing when it is convenient, when it is not then they say you can't compare them.

Pinko commie!

Just because I dont want to hear a fighter bitching about unfair for a career that he chose doesnt make me a "Zuffa shill".

The top dogs in any company make a shit load of money of the backs of the lower end employees. Why should it be any different in the UFC?

A question to those who advocate for fighters pay, do you do the same in other industries? Do you fight for fair pay for the 12 year olds that are making the brand new Nike's you wear? Look how much Nike paid Lebron James last year, is it fair that he makes $50M while factory workers make pennies an hour?

Who is in my corner fighting my boss to make sure I am fairly compensated?

I am so sick of hearing fighters whine about their pay. If it isnt enough then go do something else but stop acting like a cry baby, most people dont give a fuck.
Are you an MMA fan? Because these UFC fighters aren't getting paid enough. Zuffa's raking in millions and paying guys 8K. If you're going to bag people out for calling for fairer pay then what's your angle? Or are you just shillin like a villain Phone Post

Of course I am a fan of MMA...are you? I dont have time for BS like "I could make more money emptying trash cans" that is a shit statement and everyone knows it. If not get a job with the sanitation dept.

Please define "enough" from your statement. Who gets to decide what is "enough"

Should fighters that live in NYC be paid more than someone who lives in Arizona? The cost of living is certainly higher in NYC...

Do you really think Zuffa is making millions of that fighter who is being paid $8K?

Fighters pay their managers 10% for a reason and that reason is to try to get their client as much money as possible sponsorship, seminars, etc.

If Zuffa puts you on the main card your sponsorship money goes up. If a manager can't get his client paid then fire the manager the choice is theirs.

" Do you really think Zuffa is making millions of that fighter who is being paid $8K? "

This is horse shit. Does the third string quarterback for the jets make the NFL millions of dollars?? Wtf kind of logic is that.

Assuming Greg McElroy ends up 3rd on the depth chart for the Jets, he makes about 555k a year under his current contract.
6/26/13 5:55 PM
CindyO

MMA Lives Here - 
CindyO -
Porkchop - I get voted down in this place for speaking the truth. Wonder why I don't give a shit about green arrows? This is why.

I just voted you up because you're on point, IMO.

And Mace, are you saying that they guys getting 6k/6k are doing it... for the... money??? Really?

Cindy

No one in this thread has even come close to suggesting the fighters are only in it for the money.

If you want to act like "they should be getting paid more" = "they're only in it for the money" that's your call, but it's nonsense. Phone Post

No one in this thread has even come close to suggesting the fighters are only in it for the money.

The I guess its a dayum good thing I didn't either, huh, Drama Llama??? But Mace did make this post that I was responding to therefore I hope you don't mind if I wait for HIS reply to my question:

From: Macedawgg 6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile
Posted: 19 hours ago

Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

LOL.  This is professional prize fighting.  If you AREN'T in it for the money, you are in it for the wrong reasons.

If you want to act like "they should be getting paid more" = "they're only in it for the money" that's your call, but it's nonsense.

LOL! I don't want to "act like they should be paid more" because when a grown-ass man or woman signs a contract who am I to second guess or disagree with them??????????????????????????

Cindy

6/26/13 5:58 PM
CindyO

the geek - 
js138 -
Porkchop -
Macedawgg - 
Barbalos - 
Macedawgg - 
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

LOL.  This is professional prize fighting.  If you AREN'T in it for the money, you are in it for the wrong reasons.

Wrong. There are lots of other jobs you can make far more money at, much more easily. If you don't like this job, and you're doing it for years, you're a fool.

“Anybody who accepts that as a reality of the sport is sad and pathetic."  Tim Kennedy

Kennedy also took aim at MMA sites who push the UFC’s “propaganda” that fighters are overpaid, and claimed that he could make a better living as a firefighter, cop or even from working in a supermarket.

So why doesn't he go and do that? Oh, right, he wants to be rich and famous.... right?

If he actually wanted to fight for the sake of fighting, he wouldn't be saying these things at all. He'd only be thinking about the belt.

It gets to a point where if a guy has financial demands that exceed his ability to afford them, maybe he should look for a new fuckin job to support himself.

I'm not trying to shit on fighters in general, but these guys need to realize that no one is forcing them to be fighters. They want to be rich and famous and complaining wont get them that.
Best post in the entire thread. Vote up when I can. Phone Post 3.0
Yup, pretty damn good post by pork. Phone Post 3.0

It really is and for recognizing it I had to vote all 3 of you guys up:)

Cindy

6/26/13 6:02 PM
Thacommish
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
MMA Lives Here - 
CindyO -
Porkchop - I get voted down in this place for speaking the truth. Wonder why I don't give a shit about green arrows? This is why.

And Mace, are you saying that they guys getting 6k/6k are doing it... for the... money??? Really?

Cindy

If you want to act like "they should be getting paid more" = "they're only in it for the money" that's your call, but it's nonsense. Phone Post

The I guess its a dayum good thing I didn't either, huh, Drama Llama??? But Mace did make this post that I was responding to therefore I hope you don't mind if I wait for HIS reply to my question:

From: Macedawgg 6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to act like "they should be getting paid more" = "they're only in it for the money" that's your call, but it's nonsense.

LOL! I don't want to "act like they should be paid more" because when a grown-ass man or woman signs a contract who am I to second guess or disagree with them??????????????????????????

Cindy

Who are you to second guess or disagree with a grown ass man that signs a contract..iuno but you sure seem to think you can second guess or disagree with his opinion on said contract. You know you dont have to completely 100% be happy and fully agree to every contract you sign. Its possible, this might be a stretch for you to understand, for a grown ass man to sign a contract and not 100% be happy with every detail about it. Who are you to question this?
6/26/13 6:03 PM
pulsar

God I love these threads... An opportunity for the sociopathic 'fans' to express how little they care for the blood sweat and tears shed by what they say to be their heroes.

As someone who used to be called a UFC shill with abandon on here, the lengths folks will go to back the Fertita's pocketing millions why fighters can barely pay for expenses... Is sickening to the core.

No fighters - no UFC.

6/26/13 6:08 PM
bjjchris

50 k to step in the cage for 15 mins, sounds reasonable for a top 20 mw like Tim....y don't you enlighten us on your u.s. army pay since your throwing all these numbers around? TIM might make 50k for the year to risk his life with machine guns and rpg's. I'd say 50k jus to.show for a cage fight is alright..I.think your bitching about the wrong employer Mr Kennedy!
6/26/13 6:09 PM
Kim Jong Uno

This is a strange thread in which there are people saying that other people are not getting paid enough to physically assault and cause harm to other human beings as well as get physically assaulted but then I'm like I agree but then I'm like I don't really agree because you could just go be a doctor or lawyer if you want but you want to kick people's asses for money so that's how the game works in the asskicking business mothafucka
6/26/13 6:10 PM
CindyO

MT11 - 
MMA Lives Here -
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

Uhhh... wtf are you talking about?

Are pro fighters supposed to be missionaries or charity workers or something? Are there people who are actually this dumb?

The UFC is killing the pig right now and the vast majority of its fighters aren't reaping the benefits. They refuse to unionize; they prefer having this "locker room bonus" setup where they come off looking generous but have the worst pay ratio in US-based pro sports.

Kennedy is courageous to speak out about it. Good for him. Phone Post
Agreed Phone Post 3.0

LOLOL@ this shit! Tim has never even fought in the UFC so WTF are you guys talking abouit? He's on a SF contract and won't even step foot inside the Octagon until 162 so yeah, its the UFCs fault he didn't like his SF contract=)  Wah.

Cindy

6/26/13 6:17 PM
Marketing guy

nomad1974 - 
Filo_Beto - 
TeamRenzo - 
MMA Lives Here - 
TeamRenzo -
KingofBJJ - 

It's funny that everytime the money issue comes up the Zuffa nuthuggers come to the rescue and then later act like no one whines about money in the UFC.

The point of the whining is that the UFC is making millions from PPV and is not sharing the wealth.  That is why Zuffa hates unions, because they would be forced to pay an adequate salary.

Many UFC fighters only fight twice a year, maybe three if they are lucky.  Most don't make $20k a fight.  Think about it.  There are Burger King Managers making more than most UFC fighters!

Yet Zuffa is making money off of their backs.  Yes it is Zuffa's business, but you know what the fighters can live without the UFC, but the UFC cannot live without fighters.

With a union, these fighters could all go on strike and the UFC would be powerless to do anything to them without a costly court battle.

Anderson Silva, the longest reigning champion in the UFC only gets $200k per fight.  Mayweather gets nearly $30 million.  Heck just last week a twenty something pro fighter just won a championship belt and made $1 million.

Everyone wants to compare MMA to boxing when it is convenient, when it is not then they say you can't compare them.

Pinko commie!

Just because I dont want to hear a fighter bitching about unfair for a career that he chose doesnt make me a "Zuffa shill".

The top dogs in any company make a shit load of money of the backs of the lower end employees. Why should it be any different in the UFC?

A question to those who advocate for fighters pay, do you do the same in other industries? Do you fight for fair pay for the 12 year olds that are making the brand new Nike's you wear? Look how much Nike paid Lebron James last year, is it fair that he makes $50M while factory workers make pennies an hour?

Who is in my corner fighting my boss to make sure I am fairly compensated?

I am so sick of hearing fighters whine about their pay. If it isnt enough then go do something else but stop acting like a cry baby, most people dont give a fuck.
Are you an MMA fan? Because these UFC fighters aren't getting paid enough. Zuffa's raking in millions and paying guys 8K. If you're going to bag people out for calling for fairer pay then what's your angle? Or are you just shillin like a villain Phone Post

Of course I am a fan of MMA...are you? I dont have time for BS like "I could make more money emptying trash cans" that is a shit statement and everyone knows it. If not get a job with the sanitation dept.

Please define "enough" from your statement. Who gets to decide what is "enough"

Should fighters that live in NYC be paid more than someone who lives in Arizona? The cost of living is certainly higher in NYC...

Do you really think Zuffa is making millions of that fighter who is being paid $8K?

Fighters pay their managers 10% for a reason and that reason is to try to get their client as much money as possible sponsorship, seminars, etc.

If Zuffa puts you on the main card your sponsorship money goes up. If a manager can't get his client paid then fire the manager the choice is theirs.

" Do you really think Zuffa is making millions of that fighter who is being paid $8K? "

This is horse shit. Does the third string quarterback for the jets make the NFL millions of dollars?? Wtf kind of logic is that.

Assuming Greg McElroy ends up 3rd on the depth chart for the Jets, he makes about 555k a year under his current contract.

The minimum wage in the NFL is 375,000. there are 16 games in a season. That breaks down to 23,437.50!!! NOW WE'RE TALKIN.....Tim makes more per competition than an NFL rookie
6/26/13 6:23 PM
Marketing guy

bjjchris - 50 k to step in the cage for 15 mins, sounds reasonable for a top 20 mw like Tim....y don't you enlighten us on your u.s. army pay since your throwing all these numbers around? TIM might make 50k for the year to risk his life with machine guns and rpg's. I'd say 50k jus to.show for a cage fight is alright..I.think your bitching about the wrong employer Mr Kennedy!

According to the Army website a military police sergeant makes 29,380. Definitely worse than a UFC fighter.
6/26/13 6:31 PM
CindyO

Macedawgg - 
CindyO - 

Cindy

Yes, really. 

Just like the boxer turned pro starting at $400 per show is motivated by money. 

The promoter, as you well know, is motivated first and foremost of money--so is the athlete.  You are not going to suggest that Zuffa is just in it for the "love of the sport" are you?  We are reminded repeatedly on this board that MMA is a "business."  Why is it that the athletes competing in a very dangerous sport with potentially debilitating long term results should treat it as any less? 

The geek has an interesting point about the training expenses being potentially out of whack.  To use boxing as a comparison, a promoter frequenty "invests" in the boxer-athlete by fronting not only all of those costs, but also living expenses and stipends as well.  The promoter can then recoup by building the fighter up through the ranks, and landing the fighter in high-profile televised events.  Of course, the "model" installed by Zuffa forecloses this possibility altogether--and thus, you see very little to none of this type of investment.  There is no ultimate payoff at the end--Zuffa claims it all by deeming themselves the only purveyor of "championship" MMA. 

The comments on this thread are predictable.  For those who read with regularity, it is blatantly obvious that this board is overrun with true shills.  No other explanation for the utterly hostile reaction towards anything pro-athlete. 

Ah, yessssss.... someone is a shill when they speak to the fact these are grown ass men and women signing contracts, that they openly go into with both eyes open and representation, only to try to act like indentured servants or slaves later! LOL   Yep!!! Shills, I tell ya!

So you're saying they do it for the money- even the 6k/6k guys. Just wanted you to verify your comment for MMA LIVES HERE:)

Zuffa is a business run by MMA fans who love it and know how to make money. You either want to be a part of that or you don't. Sign a contract or don't. Fight for them or don't. And in Tim Kennedy's case, it really doesn't matter because he isn't relevant and they don't owe him shit. He has never fought for the UFC yet he wants to bitch about what he's getting paid, based on a contract he signed with another promotion, which is for more than he's worth! LOL@ that shit, too:)

Cindy

6/26/13 6:37 PM
CindyO

TheKidAintMine - Several points:

First, if Kennedy is so unhappy about the pay in the UFC, then why does he want to fight for them?

If Kennedy and his management team called up Dana or Lorenzo tomorrow and said, "Hey we don't like the way you guys are running your business. We don't think you're paying us enough and we don't want to be a part of your company anymore." I'm sure Zuffa and Team Kennedy could work out a solution whereby Tim gets released from his contract so that he can more money elsewhere.

Kennedy isn't GSP or Cain or JDS, I'm pretty sure Zuffa would let him go if he really wanted out. Kennedy should test the market and see how much Bellator or WSOF or One FC is willing to pay. If it's more than Zuffa, then good for him.

Secondly, why is Kennedy paying a percentage of his winnings to gym fees and his coaches? Shouldn't those be flat fees? You're telling me every time he fights his gym gets a percentage? And if he wins, his gym gets even more money. And on top of that, his coaches also get a cut? Why doesn't he just negotiate a flat fee per training camp that is independent of how much he makes?

And lastly, that article is a little disingenuous. They talk about GSP and Cain's pay, but there's no mention at all about their cut of the PPV money.

First, if Kennedy is so unhappy about the pay in the UFC, then why does he want to fight for them?

LOL! I know, right???

If Kennedy and his management team called up Dana or Lorenzo tomorrow and said, "Hey we don't like the way you guys are running your business. We don't think you're paying us enough and we don't want to be a part of your company anymore." I'm sure Zuffa and Team Kennedy could work out a solution whereby Tim gets released from his contract so that he can more money elsewhere.

Bingo!

Kennedy isn't GSP or Cain or JDS, I'm pretty sure Zuffa would let him go if he really wanted out. Kennedy should test the market and see how much Bellator or WSOF or One FC is willing to pay. If it's more than Zuffa, then good for him.

LOL! If he thinks the UFC, where he has never fought, doesn't pay good enough well he'll just love Bellator and WSOF!

Secondly, why is Kennedy paying a percentage of his winnings to gym fees and his coaches? Shouldn't those be flat fees? You're telling me every time he fights his gym gets a percentage? And if he wins, his gym gets even more money. And on top of that, his coaches also get a cut? Why doesn't he just negotiate a flat fee per training camp that is independent of how much he makes?

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

And lastly, that article is a little disingenuous. They talk about GSP and Cain's pay, but there's no mention at all about their cut of the PPV money.

Well, that would require the media do some work to gather facts and that's not as fun as just phoning it in the drama.

Cindy

6/26/13 6:41 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish - 
CindyO - 
MMA Lives Here - 
CindyO -

Cindy

Cindy

Who are you to second guess or disagree with a grown ass man that signs a contract..iuno but you sure seem to think you can second guess or disagree with his opinion on said contract. You know you dont have to completely 100% be happy and fully agree to every contract you sign. Its possible, this might be a stretch for you to understand, for a grown ass man to sign a contract and not 100% be happy with every detail about it. Who are you to question this?

It's possible for that to be the case, but that would be his own damn fault and his own damn problem, not the person that offered the contract. If he doesn't like the contract, then publicly bash it after signing it, he looks like the fool for signing it. Nobody forced him to do this, it is his own choice, and if he is that upset then it was the wrong choice. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.