UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva still intent to box Roy Jones Jr.

6/26/13 12:45 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a recent interview, UFC champion Anderson Silva expressed a desire to compete against boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing bout and a mixed martial arts bout. At yesterday's media conference for UFC 162, Anderson was asked again about the bout and reaffirmed his desire:

Despite being told no by boss Dana White four years ago, Anderson Silva said he still wants to fight boxer Roy Jones Jr. before hanging up his gloves.

"Of course I want to fight him, and maybe after this fight against (Chris) Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him," Silva said through an interpreter. "He's already said he'd fight me, so that's something I'd really like to happen."

"I feel that his boxing style is one that I'd like to test myself against. I've always been a fan of his, and I've always wanted to test myself against Roy Jones."

read entire article...

6/26/13 12:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana will probably never let him since I doubt Anderson will finish out his contract before retiring from MMA. Phone Post
6/26/13 12:49 PM
LyotoBundy
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd pay to see it Phone Post
6/26/13 12:57 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lose Lose for Anderson.

If he looks good, well he outboxed a well past his prime RJJ

If he looks bad and gets schooled, it says volumes for most MMA fighters who made Anderson look like a prime RJJ, not to mention to credibility of the UFC's marketing of fighters' skills.

This type of side-show freak shit is the decline of UFC, same as the James Toney/Couture debacle.

Toney made 500k to show up and basically do nothing.
Lotta UFC fighters leave their souls in the octagon and get tantamount to a slap in the face in the form of 6k/8k.
6/26/13 1:46 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it's been said before but I'll repeat it here, RJJ in his prime would smoke Silva in a boxing match. Silva winning against a RJJ almost 10 years past his prime would be no great feat.

Maybe that's why Silva wants RJJ and not a current cream of the crop boxer.

Silva might even have trouble with RJJ as he is today, boxers like jones are tricky, even past their prime, boxing is a different ball game. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 2:08 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
Johnny D - I know it's been said before but I'll repeat it here, RJJ in his prime would smoke Silva in a boxing match. Silva winning against a RJJ almost 10 years past his prime would be no great feat.

Silva might even have trouble with RJJ as he is today, boxers like jones are tricky, even past their prime, boxing is a different ball game. Phone Post 3.0
I don't think it has anything to do with that. Silva is 38, not a young pup, but honestly I think it's just a dream if his to fight RJJ. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think he care about legacy or proving anything to anyone but himself. He's probably been a fan for a long time and just want to fight him. Everyone has a bucket list. Phone Post 3.0
You could be right, I always thought that Silva's striking most resembled RJJ.

Silva, like RJJ, does a lot of things you wouldn't necessarily want to see your fighter do, like holding your hands down at your sides. But he, like RJJ, gets away with it because he's so skilled. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 2:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
Johnny D - I know it's been said before but I'll repeat it here, RJJ in his prime would smoke Silva in a boxing match. Silva winning against a RJJ almost 10 years past his prime would be no great feat.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. Silva is 38, not a young pup, but honestly I think it's just a dream if his to fight RJJ. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think he care about legacy or proving anything to anyone but himself. He's probably been a fan for a long time and just want to fight him. Everyone has a bucket list. Phone Post 3.0
This is correct Phone Post
6/26/13 2:36 PM
Doc T
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Despite the outcome" Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 3:11 PM
BigFightFan
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What weight is Roy Jones Jr and that weight would this typically take place at? Phone Post
6/26/13 3:38 PM
Johnny D

BigFightFan - What weight is Roy Jones Jr and that weight would this typically take place at? Phone Post
RJJ is fighting at boxings cruiser weight these days, which would be around the MW, LHW in MMA. Basically 190 to 200 lbs. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 4:29 PM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" I always thought that Silva's striking most resembled RJJ."

Look back to years ago when Roy stood in the corner and WANTED some guy to tee off on him... Now look what Silva did with Bonnar (a missed spinning back kick).

Silva's been biting Roy's styles for ages.

Jones would STILL beat him.

Being "The greatest ever" according to Joe Rogan and actually being one of the GREATEST BOXERS TO EVER LIVE are two different things.

Andy would have a VERY hard time landing on Roy. And Roy wouldn't have his hands full trying to hit Silva.
6/26/13 5:06 PM
Johnny D

"Being "The greatest ever" according to Joe Rogan and actually being one of the GREATEST BOXERS TO EVER LIVE are two different things."

Most of the younger generation has no understanding of boxings rich history, its impact on American culture over the past 100 years or how rare it is when a Roy Jones Jr comes around.

MMA is just a baby, its history is young and its hard to say where A. Silva will be on the list of greats when the books are opened a hundred years from now, or if MMA will survive that long.

MMA being discussed in an MMA gym and being discussed in a boxing gym are two very different things, the pro boxers I know and have known respect MMA fighters but that's where it stops. They're two different worlds, completely. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 7:17 PM
Jive Turkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"still intent to"?

Who writes this shit?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.