UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Combat Jiu Jitsu!

6/26/13 9:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW - No way in hell would I ever do MMA. I love grappling tournaments though and could potentially give something like this a try.

I would rather it be tournament style though, several mats going at once and not in single cage, center of attention kind of thing. Phone Post
Chip, in all seriousness you wouldn't notice the crowd thing ie the center of attention. When you fight mma, the cage and lighting blur all that out. This sounds like it honestly would be fun and attract some grapplers that don't want to do mma. Cheers For the concept Phone Post
6/26/13 10:34 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That almost sounds like old-school Pancrase or Rings matches. Those were awesome. I really hoped that eventually an amateur program would evolve using those rules. Or closed fist strikes and kicks on the feet and no or limited strikes on the ground. Those fights are very fun to see.
6/27/13 12:48 AM
Michael Chase
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TuriAltavilla - Michael, we use a cage because we primarily promote MMA. We add 1-2 CJJ bouts per card and work with Eddie on that.

Down the road we'd like to get the rules changed so that it can be done on mats or a non-cage. Takes time and steps. Just getting them to approve the concept was a big deal.

Cool, it's nice to know you share that mentality.

6/27/13 5:50 AM
AndrewJitsu
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 5:58 AM
andrewtregoning
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is just amateur mma rules isn't it? sounds great though
6/27/13 6:40 AM
supercan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amateur MMA rules is the opposite, typically.
6/27/13 7:45 AM
KidPittsburgh
1149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EddieBravo - CJJ on a mat like the metamoris mat is the goal. I would even be open to no gloves with palm strikes only. We'll see how this all plays out.

Imagine the metamoris match ups with strikes allowed on the ground.

Would it be more entertaining or less? Phone Post 3.0

Personally, I'd like to see Metamoris stay the way it is as a high-level Jiu-Jitsu comp; but if it changed I wouldn't bitch either.
After some careful thought about strikes, I consider them like bacon--it's always going to make it better.
6/27/13 11:30 AM
Nexuscrawlers
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TuriAltavilla - Nexus,

8 oz MMA gloves (required in California at the amateur level).

No elbows allowed.

I am trying to picture the upkicks if both fighters are down (haven't seen Anderson/Okami 1). More of a semi up sideways kick? haha Regardless, if they are both down they can do it.

thanks, this is what i mean by upkick whie both grounded:

this looks really awesome though, i hope this takes off. Combat sambo is really fun to watch and a good transition sport, i think this could be too, and it could even go a long way to helping MMA and BJJ evolve.

6/27/13 12:44 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER - If you guys allow ground and pound I don't think people will go for a sub when you can punch a hole through your opponents face. Phone Post
Exactly.

This is why we haven't seen a submission in an MMA match since Mark Coleman first brought us ground-and-pound. True story . . . Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 12:54 PM
TuriAltavilla
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Chip!
6/27/13 1:14 PM
TuriAltavilla
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Chip!
6/27/13 1:18 PM
TuriAltavilla

Even one of the best ground and pounders ever (Fedor) was submitted while attempting to ground and pound.
6/27/13 1:22 PM
TuriAltavilla

Nexus, I believe that up kick would be legal in CJJ. Both guys are down and that's the rule.
6/27/13 1:38 PM
TuriAltavilla

And I agree with Eddie, CJJ on a mat like Metamoris would be great (though I don't mind the cage).

I recall in the mid 2000s Rickson did a BJJ event at the Grand Olympic auditorium with an elevated mat.

Always makes me nervous though! You get a big take down (like what would have happened during Schaub vs Cyborb at Metamoris 2) and those guys will go flying on to a concrete floor.
6/27/13 6:05 PM
TuriAltavilla

TTT
6/28/13 1:12 PM
TuriAltavilla

Thanks for all the input guys!
6/28/13 2:23 PM
Tinerrz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EddieBravo - CJJ on a mat like the metamoris mat is the goal. I would even be open to no gloves with palm strikes only. We'll see how this all plays out.

Imagine the metamoris match ups with strikes allowed on the ground.

Would it be more entertaining or less? Phone Post 3.0
More entertaining. I don't fancy mma but would love to do this. I get frustrated with bjj stalling and points. Can't wait till this catches on over the pond here in the UK. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 5:08 PM
McGruff The Crime Hog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, hope it happens!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 6:11 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always thought that if you could develop a good amateur system for MMA using full strikes on the feet and limited striking on the ground, the result would mean a more polished ground game at the next level. Next question, it this only going to be no-gi?
7/1/13 1:31 PM
TuriAltavilla

Buddy, yeah only no-gi.

I think it would be very very difficult to get the gi approved with the athletic commission.
7/1/13 2:09 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting idea.
7/1/13 3:16 PM
TuriAltavilla

Back in the day when I was at PRIDE we tried to get the gi approved in California. No go, but I think that was a good thing.

Some things needed to stay in Japan!
7/2/13 2:36 PM
TuriAltavilla

TTT
7/2/13 3:55 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So its no gi with ground and pound....good because ut keeps the grappling honest. Makes them think of defense from.strikes which too.many sport bjj guys suck at. I wish they allowed elbows and headbutts thougj

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.