UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anyone go to a Gracie Barra gym?

6/26/13 6:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DontBeScaredGomi
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One In my city but I'm starting at an mma gym, anybody here go to a Gracie Barra gym? The idea of traditional jiu jitsu in a gi sounds pretty good. Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 6:55 PM
cigano fan
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Consistently rolling in a gi improves your overall grappling game tenfold..

But damnn you get fucking hot quickly
6/26/13 6:56 PM
jacktripper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My affiliate is awesome In every way Phone Post 3.0
6/26/13 6:57 PM
cheesesteak
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barra is good. I liked them much bteer in the late 90's - early 2000's though before they got to "corporate"
6/26/13 7:13 PM
DontBeScaredGomi
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Barra is good. I liked them much bteer in the late 90's - early 2000's though before they got to "corporate"
This is what I was figuring, but is it still good quality? And does anyone know the price range? Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 1:32 PM
cheesesteak
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DontBeScaredGomi - 
cheesesteak - Barra is good. I liked them much bteer in the late 90's - early 2000's though before they got to "corporate"
This is what I was figuring, but is it still good quality? And does anyone know the price range? Phone Post 3.0

Yes, the quality is still top notch. The main things that I don't care for is that they implemented a formal system of testing with stripes in between belts (back in the old days they just threw you a belt once you were able to hang and tap the next level consistently). I can't say that this is all bad. It give good structure, but me personally, I like the old way better.

Now there are rules of formalities. Before there were no written rules of formalities, people were just respectful and honorable and if you weren't, your be shown the door.

Now you are supposed to wear an official barra gi, whereat in the past you could wear whatever.

I also think their are fees now if you run a school that you must kick up to the organization. I am not positive on this since I don't run a school, but I think this is the way it is.

So overall it has kind of a corporate like structure to it and I think this was implemented by some high ranking guys in Barra who are well educated in the areas of economic and finance and they figure it would be better and more productive for the org. to run this way. And they may be right.

I just like it the old way. that's what drew me into bjj in the first place. The lack of formalities, stripes, rules etc...It was all about skill and honor without the formal rules. it was all just followed anyways by people serious about training.
6/27/13 1:58 PM
IrishAggression
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Barra is good. I liked them much bteer in the late 90's - early 2000's though before they got to "corporate"

agreed ....
6/27/13 2:03 PM
wiggum
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - 
DontBeScaredGomi - 

Yes, the quality is still top notch. The main things that I don't care for is that they implemented a formal system of testing with stripes in between belts (back in the old days they just threw you a belt once you were able to hang and tap the next level consistently). I can't say that this is all bad. It give good structure, but me personally, I like the old way better.

Now there are rules of formalities. Before there were no written rules of formalities, people were just respectful and honorable and if you weren't, your be shown the door.

Now you are supposed to wear an official barra gi, whereat in the past you could wear whatever.

I also think their are fees now if you run a school that you must kick up to the organization. I am not positive on this since I don't run a school, but I think this is the way it is.

So overall it has kind of a corporate like structure to it and I think this was implemented by some high ranking guys in Barra who are well educated in the areas of economic and finance and they figure it would be better and more productive for the org. to run this way. And they may be right.

I just like it the old way. that's what drew me into bjj in the first place. The lack of formalities, stripes, rules etc...It was all about skill and honor without the formal rules. it was all just followed anyways by people serious about training.

Agree with this 100%.

I think it's key to note, though, that if you like the Professor, you'll be able to get past the corporate stuff pretty easily and just bear with it.

Also, cheeseteak makes this point but I think it still merits emphasis: the quality is still top, top, top notch.
6/27/13 7:23 PM
DontBeScaredGomi

Awesome thanks for the info guys, do prices vary by location? Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:07 PM
cheesesteak

DontBeScaredGomi - Awesome thanks for the info guys, do prices vary by location? Phone Post 3.0

Ya. I'm pretty sure prices are based on location and the local economy, supply and demand in that area. Out here in the northeast it's usually around $150-200 per month unlimited.
6/27/13 8:20 PM
myee8

I trained at a Gracie Barra gym in Australia, which then broke off and remaned itself to Legion 13, and i ended up quitting anyway as there were a few cunts at the club. So yeah...

6/27/13 11:09 PM
BJJBuster
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I visited one once. Even as a BB from another assoc I was welcomed on more than one occasion Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 11:38 PM
Sourire
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do Gracie Barra in South Austin, TX.   I love it.  I've met some really nice people there and the professor, Alexandre Ferreira Santos, is one of the nicest guys I've ever met in my life.

Corporate structure doesn't bother me. Maybe because I've never seen it done any other way. They are friendly, keep the mats clean, and have awesome lessons. The vibe there is really nice.

6/27/13 11:43 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train at GB and it's an awesome friendly place to train and get better.

It's about 150 a month for unlimited BJJ classes. Wells worth it and it can be extremely useful in real life should you find yourself in a bad position. Phone Post
6/28/13 4:33 AM
GenghisKwan
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GB Blacktown. I reckn its good havn a tried & tested curriculum. Being able to train at any worldwide GB & havn other GB professors come teach at our gym is good. Having professional standards is good too, keepn the low-ball & dodgy operators out Phone Post
6/28/13 5:32 AM
Bootsy Collins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Barra is good. I liked them much bteer in the late 90's - early 2000's though before they got to "corporate"

Yeah I preferred their first album too- you've probably never heard of it :)
6/28/13 6:10 AM
FightSpace
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cigano fan - Consistently rolling in a gi improves your overall grappling game tenfold..

But damnn you get fucking hot quickly
Man this is true. I mostly train no gi but when i put on the PJs I sweat like a damn faucet. Kinda sucks Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 6:21 AM
Oontyex

Can someone please teach us what to do when someone starts on their butt :'( Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 7:08 AM
A_Butler
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've trained at about 9-10 different Barra's and all of them were very high quality training. Best thing about a Barra is you know it's going to be professional, organized, clean, and their wont be any punk ass dirt bags running around. Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 7:26 AM
sitchpack

I train with a barra gym, wouldn't go anywhere else, I am very happy with my coach, training partners, and class times. We also get great seminars for really good prices, Romulo Barral, Roger and Braulio in a seminar, Braulio only ones too etc etc. 

People like to shit on barra because of the structure to it, but tbh it is helping Jiu jitsu reach different areas of the world, and to places without training in developed countries. People always moan about the bigger orgs, but its just another way of helping jiu jitsu grow, and to make sure people get good quality training.

6/28/13 7:27 AM
sitchpack

Oontyex - Can someone please teach us what to do when someone starts on their butt :'( Phone Post 3.0

Grip the trouser legs and pass, or frontflip over the guard into a triangle. Its simple really.

6/28/13 8:31 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose - I train at GB and it's an awesome friendly place to train and get better.

It's about 150 a month for unlimited BJJ classes. Wells worth it and it can be extremely useful in real life should you find yourself in a bad position. Phone Post
Holy fuck! That's crazy is that the usual price for BJJ classes around your area? Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 8:42 AM
wiggum
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A_Butler - I've trained at about 9-10 different Barra's and all of them were very high quality training. Best thing about a Barra is you know it's going to be professional, organized, clean, and their wont be any punk ass dirt bags running around. Phone Post 3.0

My thoughts exactly.
6/28/13 9:41 AM
edward nigma
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Barra is my gym I love haven't being able to train in months due to my schedule but I really don't see my self going anywhere else

6/28/13 8:13 PM
Oontyex

sitchpack -
Oontyex - Can someone please teach us what to do when someone starts on their butt :'( Phone Post 3.0

Grip the trouser legs and pass, or frontflip over the guard into a triangle. Its simple really.

Wait, what? I was joking dude hehe Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.