UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Side Control Escape by Marcelo Garcia

6/28/13 4:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love MG's videos! :-)
6/28/13 8:38 PM
Gianni Whitesocks
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I showed this escape in class and was met with a chorus of "that won't work". I'm determined to try it for a while tho Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 9:49 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post 3.0
6/28/13 10:24 PM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gianni Whitesocks - I showed this escape in class and was met with a chorus of "that won't work". I'm determined to try it for a while tho Phone Post 3.0
By itself, this escape can be countered like any other by a skilled opponent who knows it's coming. When used at the right time in the context of Marcelo's complete escape system, it is very hard to stop and can get you out of a number of bad scenarios, not just the one shown in the initial post. Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 10:33 AM
BigEyedFish
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell - 
Gianni Whitesocks - I showed this escape in class and was met with a chorus of "that won't work". I'm determined to try it for a while tho Phone Post 3.0
By itself, this escape can be countered like any other by a skilled opponent who knows it's coming. When used at the right time in the context of Marcelo's complete escape system, it is very hard to stop and can get you out of a number of bad scenarios, not just the one shown in the initial post. Phone Post 3.0

THIS

the whole push escape series is a total gamechanger. It is one of if not the best escape strategy from under side control that I have ever seen. If you time it right it is very difficult to deal with.
6/29/13 11:00 PM
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
6/30/13 3:07 AM
JESK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
6/30/13 3:50 AM
Kneeblock
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
6/30/13 3:27 PM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's funny. I just taught a version of this in class this week. I have never seen anyone teach it before. I picked up a couple of great details here. It's not a strength based move. It's all posture, timing, and proper framing. Of course it can be countered. I think it was checkuroil who said "if there is a move that can't be countered we'd only teach that one." Anyway, I've found this to be a really effective escape in the right situation.
6/30/13 3:33 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gianni Whitesocks - I showed this escape in class and was met with a chorus of "that won't work". I'm determined to try it for a while tho Phone Post 3.0

Lulz. I'd switch schools if I were you.
7/1/13 9:19 AM
Shemhazai
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo also does a variation of this using a collar-tie with his near hand. I've had a lot of success in sparring with this.
7/1/13 11:42 AM
elliotc
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:50 PM
BigEyedFish
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cprevost - It's funny. I just taught a version of this in class this week. I have never seen anyone teach it before. I picked up a couple of great details here. It's not a strength based move. It's all posture, timing, and proper framing. Of course it can be countered. I think it was checkuroil who said "if there is a move that can't be countered we'd only teach that one." Anyway, I've found this to be a really effective escape in the right situation.

because you often lock out the arm that is doing the pushing to gain leverage, it can be vulnerable - especially if you dont shrimp back or roll the guy over your lap in time, so you have to be aware of this. I was just talking with Marcelo Garcia about this very move the other day.
7/2/13 4:07 PM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are two videos on Marcelo's sit up escape system, which includes the elbow push and its variants.  These vids don't cover the whole system by any means, and there are a lot of "what if" scenarios they don't address.  They are more meant as an introduction.  The best way to learn the system is to train with Marcelo, of course, and/or subscribe to MGinAction.  I apologize for the fuzzy video quality, I kinda made a copy of a copy and the clarity degraded a bit.  Hopefully they are still beneficial.

7/2/13 11:21 PM
JRockwell

ttt cuz, we all just need to wake up and sit up! :)

7/3/13 3:49 AM
kying418
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As always- awesome videos JRockwell!
7/3/13 6:45 PM
brigsy
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice videos, well explained. Thank you. Phone Post 3.0
7/3/13 10:09 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell is cooler than the other side of the pillow. Voted up.
7/3/13 10:27 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell - 

Here are two videos on Marcelo's sit up escape system, which includes the elbow push and its variants.  These vids don't cover the whole system by any means, and there are a lot of "what if" scenarios they don't address.  They are more meant as an introduction.  The best way to learn the system is to train with Marcelo, of course, and/or subscribe to MGinAction.  I apologize for the fuzzy video quality, I kinda made a copy of a copy and the clarity degraded a bit.  Hopefully they are still beneficial.

excellent details
7/4/13 4:41 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
7/5/13 11:43 AM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice video JRockwell.
7/5/13 3:36 PM
CarolinaSMB_CR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting...
7/6/13 1:00 PM
kancho assassin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally got to use this. More like a variation of it. As I would sit up opponent attempted to take my back. I maintained grip and was still able to take top position. Just from watching video and no drilling at all. I would vote it is an extremely effective technique. Phone Post
7/6/13 1:57 PM
Shinsplint
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These escapes have been working for me pretty well. The second variation can be tricky to tip the guy over if he has a weight advantage but if you use the momentum of the leg swing you should be able to recompose guard at least.
7/6/13 4:22 PM
JRockwell

Shinsplint - These escapes have been working for me pretty well. The second variation can be tricky to tip the guy over if he has a weight advantage but if you use the momentum of the leg swing you should be able to recompose guard at least.
I think you are talking about the "shoulder push" variation in the original video, when the opponent switches his base? The best time to hit this is right as he is switching before he has a chance to settle. You can still do it later, but it's definitely more work. If the guy leans forward to counteract your leg swing and push, now it's time to switch directions and shrimp away from him, bringing your close knee in to frame and recover guard. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.