UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> VOTE: Jones, Silva nominated for ESPY

6/27/13 3:27 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It's time to stay on your ass AND VOTE.

Historically, a number of MMA fighters have been nominated for the ESPN Fighter of the Year, including Randy Couture, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, and Georges St-Pierre. None has ever won.

Fighters have been nominated in two other categories as well. Frankie Edgar was nominated for the 'Upset of the Year' in 2010, and Edson Barboza was a nominee for 'Best Play' for his wheel kick knockout of Terry Etim at UFC 142. Neither Edger nor Barboza won.

Prior to 2007, MMA fighters were ineligible for voting, as the relevant category prior to that time was Boxer of the Year, rather than the current Fighter of the Year, which covers boxing and MMA.

Winners to date in the category are:
2007: Floyd Mayweather Jr.Manny Pacquiao
2008: Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2009: Manny Pacquiao
2010: Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2011: Manny Pacquiao
2012: Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This year there are five figures up for the ESPY (Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly) in the fighter category:
Canelo Alvarez
Danny Garcia
Jon Jones
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Anderson Silva

If 2013 is going to be the year MMA breaks through, you have to VOTE EARLY AND OFTEN:
http://espn.go.com/espys/2013/vote/index?id=9403284&lang=en. Although FMJ is a strong favorite, if MMA teaches anything it is that you don't always know who is going to win a fight, which is, after all, why you have it. Voting ends on the evening of July 17.

Curiously, Chael Sonnen announced he had already won it.

Also please share on your social network: Twitter, Facebook, Orkut, MySpacey, MyCrossDressingFriends, etc.

6/27/13 3:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted for Jones but it wont matter, Floyd or Canelo will win.

6/27/13 3:46 PM
thatkidrichard91

To me, its ridiculous that Mayweather and even Anderson get nominated. I understand they're the best at what they do, but they both fight about once a year, its not really fair for the guys in the category who've fought 3-4 times a year. Floyd's gonna win on his name alone
6/27/13 4:00 PM
Damaynevent

Voted for JBJ, but Floyd is gonna win on name recognition. If JBJ or AS win, Dana would probably nut on himself. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 4:04 PM
PrettyBoy
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd should win. Every time he fights he is adding to a legacy of a one of a kind athlete that comes along maybe once in a generation. Nobody in MMA has accomplished anything comparable to what Mayweather has in boxing.

I think the kids coming up now will be the first generation of MMA fighters who have trained for MMA since they were born... You will start to see MMA fighters with boxing like records and boxing like talent in mastering their craft. The next generation will begin to refine and so on. It will take prob at least 3 generations before a fighter in MMA could be a comparable talent to Floyd in his respective combat sport.

In fact that trend has already started. Just look at Jon Jones he should be undefeated. GSP, Cruz, Aldo and others are only showing 1-2 losses. In 2005 everyone around here was saying that boxing like records were impossible to achieve in MMA due to how many more factors their were to consider.

It's nonsense... The fighters then just were not as skilled at their craft. That's a fact. I mean no disrespect to the athletes in MMA or the sport in general but MMA fighters really shouldn't be compared with boxing directly at this point. Boxers are far and away the most superior at their craft and its obvious. They should really just do away with the best "fighter" award and just have two separate awards one for best boxer and one for best mixed martial artist. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 4:05 PM
wiggum
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kyle Dake also nominated: http://espn.go.com/espys/2013/vote/index?id=9403970&lang=en
6/27/13 4:05 PM
AyyAnt
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted for Jones but think Canelo takes it. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 4:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson actually has as many fight in the voting time period as Jon Jones I believe. Kind of hard for me to vote Jones when the UFC gave him 2 middleweights to fight (not his fault) so I'm not really sure who to vote for. Phone Post
6/27/13 4:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah screw it I'll vote for Andy Phone Post
6/27/13 4:13 PM
Chris27

AyyAnt - Voted for Jones but think Canelo takes it. Phone Post 3.0

This, I think you are gonna see 25 million Latinos vote for Canelo.

6/27/13 4:36 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok I'm Mexican and voted for Anderson. Not enough gingers in the world to get Canelo to win it IMO Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 4:59 PM
Theonlyvivid

PrettyBoy - Floyd should win. Every time he fights he is adding to a legacy of a one of a kind athlete that comes along maybe once in a generation. Nobody in MMA has accomplished anything comparable to what Mayweather has in boxing.

I think the kids coming up now will be the first generation of MMA fighters who have trained for MMA since they were born... You will start to see MMA fighters with boxing like records and boxing like talent in mastering their craft. The next generation will begin to refine and so on. It will take prob at least 3 generations before a fighter in MMA could be a comparable talent to Floyd in his respective combat sport.

In fact that trend has already started. Just look at Jon Jones he should be undefeated. GSP, Cruz, Aldo and others are only showing 1-2 losses. In 2005 everyone around here was saying that boxing like records were impossible to achieve in MMA due to how many more factors their were to consider.

It's nonsense... The fighters then just were not as skilled at their craft. That's a fact. I mean no disrespect to the athletes in MMA or the sport in general but MMA fighters really shouldn't be compared with boxing directly at this point. Boxers are far and away the most superior at their craft and its obvious. They should really just do away with the best "fighter" award and just have two separate awards one for best boxer and one for best mixed martial artist. Phone Post 3.0

It's well-acknowledged that you dislike MMA, and troll the hell out of these forums with Boxing-bias.

That being said, I believe an MMA figher, especially Anderson Silva should be considered the greatest "fighter", not a boxer. Its that simple.
6/27/13 5:08 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

It's fucking retarded, that Floyd fights one time, and is nominated for things like this. How in the fuck is Floyd, fighter of the year? Phone Post
6/27/13 5:20 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Voted Silva, would love him to get that kind of recognition. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 5:23 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

PrettyBoy - Floyd should win. Every time he fights he is adding to a legacy of a one of a kind athlete that comes along maybe once in a generation. Nobody in MMA has accomplished anything comparable to what Mayweather has in boxing.

If were going that route, Floyd's not even eligible. This is the "Best Fighter" category, Floyd's a boxer, not a fighter. Phone Post
6/27/13 5:24 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

It should be two separate categories "Best Fighter" and "Best Boxer". Phone Post
6/27/13 6:11 PM
sideeffect

Money May by stomping.....unfortunately Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 9:41 AM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, wait, wait... I was looking through the voting categories and there is one called "Best Moment" or something like that. The Scottish tennis player Andy Murray was nominated for winning the Olympic gold medal, I instinctively voted for my countryman but in doing so I only caught the blurb associated with him for a second. I swear it started with "Englishman Andy Murray"... This is an outrage!

Either way, I voted for Anderson Silva...

6/29/13 10:16 AM
OllyCrockett

"Anderson Silva recently defeated Stephan Bonnar in a title defense" - A quick google search would have told them it was in a diff weight class to his title. ESPN really don't have a fucking clue what they are talking about, and don't give enough of a fuck to educate themselves. I agree with most ppl on this subject as well, needs two categories.
6/29/13 10:48 AM
RKing85
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to say it's pointless to vote, but Mayweather is going to win.
6/29/13 11:25 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fraser_Finlay - 

Wait, wait, wait... I was looking through the voting categories and there is one called "Best Moment" or something like that. The Scottish tennis player Andy Murray was nominated for winning the Olympic gold medal, I instinctively voted for my countryman but in doing so I only caught the blurb associated with him for a second. I swear it started with "Englishman Andy Murray"... This is an outrage!

Either way, I voted for Anderson Silva...

ESPN in the past have said Murray was born in London

6/29/13 12:08 PM
Haadogei

most green namers would smash Mayweather in under 30 seconds in a fight. He can box, not fight.

I voted for all of those, it makes no difference. I surrender.

This category is retarded. It's like making best football player with soccer and NFL mixed. This is an example of why I stopped watching ESPN 15 years ago. They're stupid. that's why.
6/29/13 12:10 PM
Haadogei

this reminds me of the time when Jethro Tull beat Metallica for best metal album at the Grammys. Mayweather is to the word "fighting" as Jethro Tull is to "heavy metal".
6/29/13 12:41 PM
jdizzle 4sho

thatkidrichard91 - To me, its ridiculous that Mayweather and even Anderson get nominated. I understand they're the best at what they do, but they both fight about once a year, its not really fair for the guys in the category who've fought 3-4 times a year. Floyd's gonna win on his name alone

I agree w/ you but I did vote for Anderson for the simple fact that no MMA fighter has ever won and therefore didn't see anyone on that list that was more deserving than Anderson. .. because of the language barrier and his non-confrontational style Anderson can be under-appreciated at times.. especially within the circles that constantly praise Floyd Mayweather, Jr.. but again, I totally agree w/ your remark about 1 fight per year

6/29/13 1:29 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

jdizzle 4sho -
thatkidrichard91 - To me, its ridiculous that Mayweather and even Anderson get nominated. I understand they're the best at what they do, but they both fight about once a year, its not really fair for the guys in the category who've fought 3-4 times a year. Floyd's gonna win on his name alone

I agree w/ you but I did vote for Anderson for the simple fact that no MMA fighter has ever won and therefore didn't see anyone on that list that was more deserving than Anderson. .. because of the language barrier and his non-confrontational style Anderson can be under-appreciated at times.. especially within the circles that constantly praise Floyd Mayweather, Jr.. but again, I totally agree w/ your remark about 1 fight per year

Anderson has fought just as many times as Jones has since the lasts ESPY voting started. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.