UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Celebrity grappling standouts

6/29/13 4:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -
jiujitsumma -
boxing wiz - I hate to call him a celebrity, but isn't Spencer Pratt supposed to be pretty legit in BJJ?

Legit? Try World Class homeboy. Spencer is far and away the best celebrity black belt. In fact, I have rolled with some of the best mundial level guys and Spencer tapped me more than any of them.
Hi Spencer! Phone Post
Lol Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 4:19 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i570k - Igor Cavalera from Sepultura was a brown back around '99 or 2000 if I recall correctly. Phone Post
Holy shit. A beast on the drums and a legit brown belt. VU Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 8:38 AM
hewsdaddy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

von krap - scott caan is a brown belt in the jitsu
And a skilled rapper.

David lee Roth is a life long martial artist - hence all the kicks in van Halen performances. He now lives in Japan iirc.

Bryan callen mentioned being a purple belt on his podcast once. Chris d'leia mentioned getting to blue belt Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 8:51 AM
James Thorpe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crozbomb -
Jack Skellington - 

Steve Iwrin was a bjj lover too, his former rolling/sparring partner was the UFC's Kyle Noke. Steve had his own gym built at the Queensland Zoo he ownes/owned

thats nonsense you just made up. noke was his bodyguard, not his "sparring partner"
It's possible they sparred...... maybe? Phone Post
6/29/13 8:51 AM
random_muppett
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Harley's going to be fine with that case. He's a BB under Renzo and teaches at Renzo's.

Sean Patrick Flannery is thought to be the best celeb BJJ practitioner by far.

People who have rolled with Guy Ritchie say that he's really good

Shannon Briggs is a purple belt, Bieber is a blue and IIRC Shaq is a blue or purple. Imagine noob Spazz Shaq? Nightmare.
Guy Ritchie is a brown (maybe black by now) under Roger.

Never rolled with him myself but know several people who have and he's fucking legit. Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 9:02 AM
Slobonmynog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quality -
BobbyBoston - Bryan callen does martial arts I do not know his rank and what he does. Michael Jai White is a beast in many forms Phone Post 3.0

I want to believe that Michael Jai White is a beast in all forms since I like his movies but where's the proof?
The guy has about 7 black belts. Look it up.

Dont think he grapples though. Possibly hapkido but im not sure. Phone Post
6/29/13 9:21 AM
quality

Slobonmynog - 
quality -
BobbyBoston - Bryan callen does martial arts I do not know his rank and what he does. Michael Jai White is a beast in many forms Phone Post 3.0

I want to believe that Michael Jai White is a beast in all forms since I like his movies but where's the proof?

I know that, I meant about grappling. I saw the movie where he did some BJJ and was sparring with Lyoto Machida, but I want to know the extent or how good his BJJ training is.
6/29/13 10:42 AM
Slobonmynog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quality -
Slobonmynog - 
quality -

I know that, I meant about grappling. I saw the movie where he did some BJJ and was sparring with Lyoto Machida, but I want to know the extent or how good his BJJ training is.
Ah ok. I just had a quick look, and theres an interview with him where he says grappling doesnt take very long to be proficient at.

Not too sure what to make of that...

Im guessing he hasnt trained much grappling at all then! Phone Post
6/29/13 11:09 AM
Slobonmynog

BluesBrother - Why Joe Rogan's name hasn't been brought up more i dont know. But does anyone actually know how legit he is? i know he got his BB recently so i know he's good, but compared to high level grapplers how does he fair?
Hes a machado black belt and a 10th planet black belt.

Throw in his beast strength and the fact he spars with pro fighters quite a lot, then im guessing he is legit... Phone Post
6/29/13 11:09 AM
JESK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 11:53 AM
BshMstr
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hewsdaddy - 
von krap - scott caan is a brown belt in the jitsu
And a skilled rapper.

David lee Roth is a life long martial artist - hence all the kicks in van Halen performances. He now lives in Japan iirc.

Bryan callen mentioned being a purple belt on his podcast once. Chris d'leia mentioned getting to blue belt Phone Post 3.0

David Lee Roth trained under Benny "the Jet" Urquidez...

as does John Cusack (he started for his role in "Say Anything"). i recall an account of the fight between Cusack and Urquidez was full-contact in "Grosse Pointe Blank"
6/29/13 11:58 AM
BshMstr
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Farthammer - I assume most celebrities get the majority of their work in private lessons. Is someone who goes up the ranks through private lessons as legit as someone who goes up the ranks in regular open classes?

In other words, is a purple belt that is given to a celebrity as legit as a purple belt given to a regular person? Also, I wonder how many celebrities are given belts in order to give the gym publicity (if any).

Anyone have insight on this?

i recall Sean Patrick Flanery saying a while back that when he wasn't acting, all he really did was BJJ.

here's a recent article kinda on the topic: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/01/health/la-he-five-questions-flanery-20130601
6/29/13 1:48 PM
Pugilist82
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add Kevin James and David Akers.
6/29/13 2:46 PM
papagaio

random_muppett - 
Bobby Lupo - Harley's going to be fine with that case. He's a BB under Renzo and teaches at Renzo's.

Sean Patrick Flannery is thought to be the best celeb BJJ practitioner by far.

People who have rolled with Guy Ritchie say that he's really good

Shannon Briggs is a purple belt, Bieber is a blue and IIRC Shaq is a blue or purple. Imagine noob Spazz Shaq? Nightmare.
Guy Ritchie is a brown (maybe black by now) under Roger.

Never rolled with him myself but know several people who have and he's fucking legit. Phone Post 3.0

you beat me to it.

Guy Ritchie is brown under Roger Gracie (but trains at Renzo's Academy when he's in NYC).

Sean Patrick Flannery got his BB from Shawn Williams. (BB under Renzo). I trained at Shawn's Five Star Martial Arts in West Hollywood when I was there on vacation. At the time (summer of 2010), he and Sean weren't on speaking terms. (Sean had left Hollywood BJJ to open his Academy under Renzo's banner. (Renzo Gracie LA/5 Star Martial Arts). It was an ugly split. I didn't ask for details...none of my business.
6/29/13 5:43 PM
The Pendulum

Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins. They've got about 6 black belts each.

Not really a celebrity, but Scottie Epstein was in Never Back Down 2. Phone Post
6/29/13 5:55 PM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_5 for fighting - Sean Patrick Flannery BJJ black belt Phone Post
He runs his own school if I'm not mistaken Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 5:59 PM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 -
i570k - Igor Cavalera from Sepultura was a brown back around '99 or 2000 if I recall correctly. Phone Post
Holy shit. A beast on the drums and a legit brown belt. VU Phone Post 3.0
Holy shit amazing if this is true. Would hate to have to compete against ANY Cavalera at anything Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 7:35 PM
falsecrack
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joel Tudor?

7/3/13 2:06 PM
XD40GRIP

falsecrack - 

Joel Tudor?

Nice!

Joel Tudor is also a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt under Carlson Gracie Black Belt and World Champion, Rodrigo Medeiros / BJJ Revolution Team.[4] He has won numerous Brazilian Jiu Jitsu titles such as the Pan Ams and US Nationals. He is also an ADCC veteran
7/3/13 2:18 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
645 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doc T -
88samurai88 - Phone Post 3.0
I'm sad it took so long to mention :( Phone Post 3.0
It was the first reply... Phone Post
7/3/13 4:52 PM
Chorizo
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Captain america - 
Jack Skellington -

Steve Iwrin was a bjj lover too, his former rolling/sparring partner was the UFC's Kyle Noke. Steve had his own gym built at the Queensland Zoo he ownes/owned

VTFU.

I now respect Irwin more now. Is that even possible? May he RIP Phone Post 3.0

Irwin was an awesome guy. I remember years ago hearing the hype and thinking it was just hype. I tuned in and heard him saying they have to capture this alligator, so I thought oh great, here comes the nets and pullies. MFer jumped in the pond and wrestled that fugging thing. Its amazing he lived as long as he did.
7/4/13 8:47 AM
AK-BJJ

^^ Training in his trademark outfit = epic lol
7/4/13 11:32 AM
naughtïïdawg
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XD40GRIP -
falsecrack - 

Joel Tudor?

Nice!

Joel Tudor is also a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt under Carlson Gracie Black Belt and World Champion, Rodrigo Medeiros / BJJ Revolution Team.[4] He has won numerous Brazilian Jiu Jitsu titles such as the Pan Ams and US Nationals. He is also an ADCC veteran
Kelly slater Phone Post 3.0
7/4/13 12:08 PM
MRG1
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ ed.

7/8/13 5:45 PM
Brabo Fett

Michael Jackson's "Son" just got his blue belt from what looks to be torrance.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/08/prince-jackson-jiu-jitsu-belt/?adid=hero4

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.