UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tim Kennedy Apologizes to Zuffa

6/27/13 7:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EdTheGreat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

https://www.facebook.com/TimKennedyMMA/posts/539941532709804

I recently made comments regarding fighter pay. The intent of these statements was to highlight that professional fighters incur significant expense associated with their preparations to fight and that fighter compensation is still not on par with other major sports. While I am fortunate to have various revenue streams associated with my business interests, most fighters do not have that luxury. When you spend training camps with great guys with amazing talents and you see them barely making ends meet, while simultaneously seeing athletes in other sports with far less character and a far smaller work ethic making exponentially more, you can get frustrated.
Unfortunately, I made statements that alluded to how the UFC in particular pays its athletes. This was particularly offensive as Zuffa has taken better care of me than any other organization, even giving me a bonus for being amusing on Twitter. My choice of words was poor, not properly informed, and did not match my intent. Additionally, my comments were taken out of context. I can tell you that I have been fighting longer than most people and I remember all too well the days when there was no regulation or standard for an MMA promotion. I fought many times in Mexico where the rules were negligible, there were no physicals, and being paid was a luxury we didn’t expect. Our sport was shunned and was considered “human cockfighting”. Today, we are on Fox. We have doctors and insurance. We make more money than the average American. And we get these things by playing a sport we love. The only reason this is possible is because of Zuffa. They have legitimized the sport and taken better care of the athletes than any other organization, and the trend is only improving, with athletes making three times what they made on average five years ago.
My comments were hurtful and inappropriate. I accept full responsibility for the statements and apologize to the UFC, Dana White, Lorenzo Fertita, & Joe Silva as well as anyone I might have offended with my comments. Fighting for the UFC is an honor and a privilege. I look forward to putting this situation behind me and focusing on my upcoming fight with Roger Gracie.
6/27/13 7:47 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

PS - Don't lose your next fight. Phone Post
6/27/13 7:49 PM
man meets fate

The higher ups and dana gave him 100k to take it back and STFU
6/27/13 7:49 PM
Twostep
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose -  Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

PS - Don't lose your next fight. Phone Post

This.
6/27/13 7:50 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim's a legit badass and that was an intelligent and classy facebook post.

It was just really odd for him to say that he could make more bagging groceries than fighting. That obviously isn't true.
6/27/13 7:54 PM
danggook
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighting is akin to becoming a rock star, an actor etc., not until you become a viable star do you get paid. Phone Post
6/27/13 7:55 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, props to Tim Kennedy for this stand up post. I think its fair to keep the fighter pay an open discussion. attacking your employer is not the best way to go about it though. It was good to hear WHY Tim said the things that he did

"The intent of these statements was to highlight that professional fighters incur significant expense associated with their preparations to fight and that fighter compensation is still not on par with other major sports. "
6/27/13 7:58 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
970 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

derp

6/27/13 8:00 PM
prometheusX

As a garbage man who grosses less in a year than he does in a fight I'm glad to see him take full ownership of his comments and make a legitimate apology. When a person apologizes it should be like that, props.
6/27/13 8:07 PM
ABE FROMAN

LOL, nobody knew that was coming?

6/27/13 8:08 PM
Rob San Soo

That was fast lmao Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:10 PM
nostripewhite

WELL WELL WELL...
6/27/13 8:12 PM
Augustus Caesar
918 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/27/13 8:12 PM

Great read and a classy move by Kennedy.

6/27/13 8:15 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now that's an awesome and well thought out post. Props to Kennedy for that. I didnt care too much for his initial way of going about talking about fighter pay and thought his examples were horrible but I'm glad to see that he can recognize how different things are right now and hopefully see that things will (hopefully again) get better as time goes on. Good move by him.
6/27/13 8:19 PM
Haadogei

what. you all think that's a good apology? Sounds like he's still whining to me.
6/27/13 8:20 PM
huggy bear

I'm pretty sure a high ranking UFC official called him if not dana and told him 2 STFU and if he loses he's cut but look on the brights use WSOF picks up all the disgruntled UFC fighters. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:23 PM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why pro fighters insist on logging on to social media, when they are frustrated is beyond me......Stay off the internet and go for a run or something when your aggravated.
6/27/13 8:24 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

I would have been great that he put as much effort in his original post.

you don't treat such serious subjects by talking thrash and hyberbolling.

There's a very good case to make in favor of increased pay.

Pay is increasing, every year. The UFC is still expanding, they still invests millions in markets all around the world.

They lobby for regulations.

They are moving forward combat sport in ways it has never been before.

Fighters pay will sort itself out over time.

The UFC is all in favor of giving more money to the fighters, they are running a tight ship and I can't blame them, that's our best guarantee the UFC will finish its mission.
6/27/13 8:25 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - what. you all think that's a good apology? Sounds like he's still whining to me.

He cleared up what his main intention was (which to me seems to be the amount required to train at this level compared to what the low to mid range fighters make) of his first post and also highlighted many positives that Zuffa and the UFC have brought to the sport. He obviously is still going to have his opinion on fighter pay but IMO, in this post he put it in a much more appropriate way.
6/27/13 8:26 PM
Kings21

^ I also dont look at it so much as an apology as a realization that things could have been said differently.
6/27/13 8:27 PM
Rudi

His fight will be zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
and he will be cut. Phone Post
6/27/13 8:31 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy? Reads like backpedaling after realizing he stuck his foot in his mouth. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:31 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:32 PM
Dongbar
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at the people that think that post was legit sincere. He got son'd and this was his tongue in cheek "apology". He is just kissing the ring without kissing the ring. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 8:36 PM
DonDon11
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dongbar - Lol at the people that think that post was legit sincere. He got son'd and this was his tongue in cheek "apology". He is just kissing the ring without kissing the ring. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.