UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Browne: Don't complain after you sign the deal

6/27/13 9:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1056 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Recently a string of current and former UFC athletes have publically aired grieviences with their pay as a fighter in the UFC. Quinton Jackson, Jacob Volkmann, and Tim Kennedy have recently critized their employer. However, Travis Browne sees the situation different and is actually critical of the fighters complaining about pay:

"I'm doing alright for myself, and I'm taking care of my family," he said. "I know what I'm getting myself into. It's not like their promising me a million and giving me 10 grand. I signed on the dotted line, and I'm doing what I want to do. I'm able to take care of my family and provide, and that's success for me."

"If you want to fight, this is what's promised to you," he said. "If you agree to it, then I don't feel like you have the right to go back and say, 'They're not paying me that much.' You agreed to it. This is your job. I think that some guys may forget about that a little bit.

"Tim isn't the first guy to ever say that. Look at (heavyweight) Todd Duffee. … He basically got cut for what he said. I don't agree with it. I'm not going to complain after I'm the one that signed on the dotted line. They're not twisting my arm to sign with them."

read entire article... 

6/27/13 9:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And Travis Browne is the voice of reason amongst fighters. Phone Post
6/27/13 9:48 PM
kinson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well stated Travis Browne. Phone Post
6/27/13 9:52 PM
nostripewhite

MY GOD THIS LOGIC.
6/27/13 9:54 PM
Agnt

Love this logic. Browne actually talking like someone who is in control of his own actions
6/27/13 9:56 PM
xaeo

they just mad they see people "on their level" getting more money than them. they jelly. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:00 PM
Jack Skellington
729 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% agree with Duffee comment
6/27/13 10:01 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed w brown. He's doing what he loves to do and makes him happy. The money always comes in the end for these kinds of guys. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:03 PM
Brian J DSouza

PrestigeWorldwide - Agreed w brown. He's doing what he loves to do and makes him happy. The money always comes in the end for these kinds of guys. Phone Post 3.0

Naive viewpoint.

6/27/13 10:05 PM
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Browne on everything except the fact that if the UFC doesn't like your performance, or you lose two fights in a row they will cut you and not think twice about it. Yes, on the players/fighters side of things if you sign a contract you play for it. However when the organization that hired you has the power to negate your contract (and to my knowledge you do not get guarantee money, or anything like that) it is only fair a fighter to look out for himself and do what he needs to do.
6/27/13 10:11 PM
BrattMamley
1007 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big T Browne fan. Him vs Reem should be awesome!

6/27/13 10:18 PM
EdTheGreat

Agnt - Love this logic. Browne actually talking like someone who is in control of his own actions

lol
6/27/13 10:18 PM
Hilldo

Good on Browne! There are tons of people in this country that make less than
Him for more work. People
Need to calm down and look at the facts. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:19 PM
Agnt

KingofBJJ - 
Agnt - Love this logic. Browne actually talking like someone who is in control of his own actions

Of course it is easy to side with this guy, when you are only 14 and live in your parents home.  Once you go try to make a living, you'll sing another tune especially in this economy.

The fact that you act like you think fighters DON'T have a choice shows how naive you are. Maybe you should be the one to get a job and see that things are not black and white. Settling for less is not anyone's fault but your own.
6/27/13 10:23 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's possible to sign a contract because you know it's your only option to fight in a particular organization and still believe that it is unfair, but I recognize some people believe we live in a black and white world. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:24 PM
jqvwxyz

I wonder how many people enthusiastically agreeing with Travis here are also outraged at Bellator for the Eddie Alvarez situation?
6/27/13 10:28 PM
Mushroom Slap
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kennedy is complaining about UFC money? He was in the military making peanuts, this should be the high life for him now.
6/27/13 10:34 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine a manager saying, "We have this offer, the contract is restrictive, they are going to pay you horse shit and they could pay you much better if they were fair minded, but this is the only offer you have." If he signs the contract does he have to pretend it doesn't suck and that the organization cares about him? Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:39 PM
Brian J DSouza

So now anyone who works a shitty job for low pay like landscaping or construction can't talk about the drawbacks of their job?

6/27/13 10:40 PM
2JupitersTooMany

Brian J DSouza -

So now anyone who works a shitty job for low pay like landscaping or construction can't talk about the drawbacks of their job?

Indentured servants need to stfu bro Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 10:54 PM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm certain that comment there will help him immeasurably when his next contract comes around even if nobody admits that it did. The same thing with anyone talking crap about the UFC pay, if anyone went public trashing their current employer what do they expect?

This Canadian army guy just did that and he was all teary eyed and he got discharged the next day. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but what do you expect?
6/27/13 10:56 PM
nostripewhite

jqvwxyz - I wonder how many people enthusiastically agreeing with Travis here are also outraged at Bellator for the Eddie Alvarez situation?
Eddie needs to bite the bullet and take a fucking fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 11:03 PM
thatkidrichard91

The way I see it, is this. You know how much your making, or around how much your gonna make per fight. Live the lifestyle that your money allows you. Don't go and buy cars and houses and all these expensive things, then complain you don't have the money to support family or your lifestyle. People just need to manage money better
6/27/13 11:10 PM
TheShogunEra

He's right Phone Post 3.0
6/27/13 11:15 PM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jqvwxyz - I wonder how many people enthusiastically agreeing with Travis here are also outraged at Bellator for the Eddie Alvarez situation?

LOL, how is that even the same thing? he signed a contract with the UFC and before that he signed a contract with Bellator saying he'd stay with them if they matched it. Now they didn't actually match it in terms of dollars they only matched it in terms of words. You realize there's a difference? That's why it's in court.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.